• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toon Link Guide - Updated 4/27

EVE

Smash Rookie
Why thank you :) That makes sense, perhaps this glitch will be fixed in future releases of the game. It does produce an interesting effect but I can't foresee any way to exploit it that would be useful.

Also wanted to say I noticed you're in Baltimore. I was roommates in college with a guy who frequents tournaments in Baltimore, Chris Martinez. We used to play melee together all the time. I think he's mentioned you before. Do you know him? I've been trying to get in touch with him so we can play online (I'm in NYC now) but the contact info I have for him seems to be outdated.
It's not a glitch, if it weren't in the game, then Tlink could just use this every time he was hit and prevent himself from dying by flying into the ground...so it's meant to happen. Just wait until you gain a little downward momentum before using dair and it will still work right.

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
Local tournament yesterday, I placed second. I keep getting trashed by metaknights in competetive play. Metaknight is just too good at closing gaps, and all his moves come out obnoxiously fast. Shield lowering for metaknight is sickeningly good.

I'll be developing an indepth character matchup section within the next two weeks, I think. Atleast for the characters Pit and Metaknight, both which seem destined for high tier or better.

Creo

Smash Champion
NNID
Creo93
Local tournament yesterday, I placed second. I keep getting trashed by metaknights in competetive play. Metaknight is just too good at closing gaps, and all his moves come out obnoxiously fast. Shield lowering for metaknight is sickeningly good.

I'll be developing an indepth character matchup section within the next two weeks, I think. Atleast for the characters Pit and Metaknight, both which seem destined for high tier or better.
I hear you clearly man. This kid in my city uses Metaknight and he seems to be my problem for any match up. I needed my Marth to K.O. him...and it was extremely hard. I really can't wait to see how you'll create a counter-game against him.
I did notice you can't be near the ledge against him or you'll be dair'd to death. His Up B is a K.O. move as well as gliding down to attack to Dsmash.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
Personally, I have control stick tap up jumping disabled, and this makes JC throwing pretty difficult. I figured I would post this to possibly help people that are like me.

For me, jumping with L when JC throwing makes it really easy to pull off. Of course this is only helpful to people that don't use the L button for anything, but personally I use R for everything. So if you're having trouble JC throwing, and you don't use your L button, this might be worth a try =).

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
I use my L button, but use whatever setup your comfortable. Infact, I dont have tap jump turned off..I have the regular control scheme (I use B for SHDL, but I know it's easier with X/Y.)

I'm simply used to it.

Shadow Light Master

Smash Journeyman
So far it looks pretty good. I can clean up the grammar and sentence structure if you want to make it look more professional. I can also try to get some pictures if you need. BTW, I think you should delete that Dark Toon Link comment because a lot of Toon Link mainers hate the Dark Toon Link costume and prefer his brown haired version. >_>

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the offer Shadow, but I'm going to have to politely decline. I really don't want pictures in my guides, as seeing what T. Links moves look like freeze framed is going to help people approximately zero percent. Also, I feel as though my grammar is satisfactory.

As for the dark link comment, it was a joke. I'm sure people are far over it.

Shadow Light Master

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the offer Shadow, but I'm going to have to politely decline. I really don't want pictures in my guides, as seeing what T. Links moves look like freeze framed is going to help people approximately zero percent. Also, I feel as though my grammar is satisfactory.

As for the dark link comment, it was a joke. I'm sure people are far over it.
Alright, no problem.

Pictures may not help, but they make the guide seem more user-friendly. But if you say no, well, you wrote the guide so what you say goes.

Fizzi

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
FIZZI#36
What determines what the knockback direction will be for a dair? I've noticed that sometimes, even if my opponent is in the air and I connect with a dair, instead of spiking my opponent it will cause him to fly upwards. In short, what determines whether it spikes or not?

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
Hm, I have noticed that too. I have two theories.

1. It depends on what time in the attack you hit with.
2. It depends on what part of the hitbox you connct with.

I'll do a test and update.

Twin_A

Smash Champion
Singin Pretty Fly for a White Guy in the shower :)
Just a couple thoughts on the MK match up because my twin bro uses him O.o

What I find works well (along side the afore mentioned projectile spamming, etc) is try to focus on the moves that clearly out prioritize him. U air is a good example of this. pretty much all of TL's up moves out prioritize MK. So even tho it's tricky to put him in that position, if you get MK above you take full advantage of this and deal what damage you can.

TL's fair also does decent against MK.

What really seems to count in this match up is what you both do off the stage. Whether he chases you down or you chase him, this is a key factor in winning this match. Unfortunately the advantage goes to Metaknight, but TL's strong DI can change this if played right. I'll try to get some videos up of what im talking about to see if it helps you guys.

Tough match up but still winnable.

Top Bottom