• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Too late to smash?

Looming Nightmare

Smash Rookie
Last week my friend pulled out his gamecube, and we started messin around with SSBM. I'm really into vs games and want to master this one. I also don't wanna get screwed, so my question is:

After I waste my life becoming an expert on SSBM, will I find that I cannot play competitively due to it being outdated by brawl?.. Or even:

If I spend a little money on a gamecube and SSBM, will that do me good enough for playing competitively.. or do I have to spend more money and get Wii + Brawl?
-
-
-
--I got an answer thx ppl

Ok I've taken into consideration my thoughts and the replies. I determined that SSB is just too good of a game to let $$ influence my decisions. Also if my skillz are gonna carry over, then I decided I'm just gonna get as good as i can get with my friend's GC and then get Brawl for myself.

Xephalon

Smash Journeyman
although you can use a GC controller for brawl so you're basically practicing your controller handles for brawl...see its a win/win situation

snoblo

Smash Journeyman
it's no coincidence that the pros of ssb on n64 were good at ssbm as well. Brawl will be a little different than melee, but your skills and experience will carry over =D

Eaode

Smash Champion
If you're going to get Brawl anyway, just get a Wii, which you'll need, and pick up a new copy of Melee for $30 or find it used on eBay or something.

And you'll need a GC controller, which you can use for Brawl later anyway, as well as being able to play all the GC games you missed on your new Wii.

So, yeah. You'll really only spend $30 more than you would if you just waited for Brawl (unless you weren't gonna use the GC controller, which you should. or the CC which should also be good for brawl, idk how the wiimote controls'll work out...)

Your skill will DEFINITELY transfer over. Don't shy away from Melee 'cause Brawl's coming. SSBM is an awesome game.

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Last week my friend pulled out his gamecube, and we started messin around with SSBM. I'm really into vs games and want to master this one. I also don't wanna get screwed, so my question is:

After I waste my life becoming an expert on SSBM, will I find that I cannot play competitively due to it being outdated by brawl?.. Or even:

If I spend a little money on a gamecube and SSBM, will that do me good enough for playing competitively.. or do I have to spend more money and get Wii + Brawl?
What, do you expect to make a living by playing SSBM? :laugh:

If you enjoy playing Smash and you enjoy winning, then that should be all the reason you need to learn SSBM. How much time you want to devote to it is up to you. At this point it's probably more economical to just get a Wii, unless Melee is ALL you intend to play as far as games go.

People will still play Melee after Brawl is out. I mean there are still people that play Street Fighter II for crying out loud.

Looming Nightmare

Smash Rookie
Ok I've taken into consideration my thoughts and the replies. I determined that SSB is just too good of a game to let $$ influence my decisions. Also if my skillz are gonna carry over, then I decided I'm just gonna get as good as i can get with my friend's GC and then get Brawl for myself.

Cronius

Smash Apprentice
This game takes years to "master," if there really even is a mastering of the game. People like Mew2King and Ken still make some mistakes in their matches. And you are now very far behind in learning everything you need to know to "master" it. I've been playing for years, and I still learn new things all the time, so good luck to you in your endeavors.

Big Burn

Smash Lord
no it not near enough time... but hopefully for u a lot of the talent does transfer over...

Top Bottom