• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

TOASTYYYYYYYYY! Scorpion for Smash!

UserKev

Smash Champion
I feel like Ryu Hayabusa is competition for Scorpion. They are very aesthetically identical and either will completely represent the traditional ninja in Smash.

BreadnJamTomorrow

Smash Cadet
Eh, I don't really think so myself. Scorpion's not necessarily the archetypal ninja as much as Ryu Hayabusa is. Ryu's got the look and weapons of the typical ninja representation in pop culture down to a T (i.e. wearing all black, the katana, shurikens, quiet and stealthy, etc.). I see Scorpion more as an amalgamation of what the Mortal Kombat series represents rather than what a ninja is because his most stand-out features (i.e. the spear dart, fire powers, and violent/vengeful nature) are more fitting to that world rather than what one would see as a "ninja".

Sure, Scorpion is one in lore. But that's something that I have to remind myself about him because yelling "Get over here!" after impaling somebody with a spear dart doesn't scream "ninja" to me.

UserKev

Smash Champion
With Crash basically confirmed, I can fully rally behind Scorpion. :chuckle: Really hating this potential waiting game tho. I need some Scorpion leaks.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
With Crash basically confirmed, I can fully rally behind Scorpion. :chuckle: Really hating this potential waiting game tho. I need some Scorpion leaks.
Sabi says the Crash leak comes from a "notorious source". So he's not confirmed whatsoever. Basically the leaker only had Mii costume info which a bunch of other people apparently had and nothing else. Sabi is also apparently doubly confident in Hayabusa being the newcomer. Because multiple people have heard about him being in. Though not the main Smash leaker VR Plant (and by extension Vergeben) as of yet.

Last edited:

TheTruthSheet

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3846-7402-4701
So if we really are looking for a new OP or whatnot to create a new front page for this thread, I have made a WIP draft of what I would have it as. It should be saved for anyone to leave messages, so if you have anything you want me to add, you can let me know. I probably won't be writing any more on that either today or tomorrow, seeing that I have a lot of work to catch up today and tomorrow I will not be at home for the day, as well as I have to go to work.

UserKev

Smash Champion
So if we really are looking for a new OP or whatnot to create a new front page for this thread, I have made a WIP draft of what I would have it as. It should be saved for anyone to leave messages, so if you have anything you want me to add, you can let me know. I probably won't be writing any more on that either today or tomorrow, seeing that I have a lot of work to catch up today and tomorrow I will not be at home for the day, as well as I have to go to work.
Its something. I actually contacted an administrator to be new op. I have to wait for a response from SuperDoom tho.

Ih8heels

Smash Cadet
A moveset idea from me

Announcer says Scorpion in a deep serious tone.

Scorpion's css render pose would be him holding his chain spear while it's on fire

Stage is obviously Courtyard(let's be honest, Sakurai has a fixation with first stage/level appearance

BGM will be Courtyard by default

voice: MK11

Entrance: his flame tornado default intro from MK11

Idle stance: MK11 since that's more up to date

idle animations:

1: getup animation from MKX where he ignites his hands

2: getup animation from MK11 where he looks for his sword

jump:

1st jump: neutral jump animation from the 2d games

2nd jump: somersault jump animation from 2d games

air dodge: intermittent transparency

run animation: from MKX

shield: guard pose from MK2

side dodge: roll from MK11

spot dodge: idle stance frame with blinking animation from his MK2 teleport startup

release shield guard pose: his burning spear pose from MK11(w/o buff)

sleep: his defeat pose from Injustice

shield broken: his MKX dizzy since they were unique in that installment

face up wakeup: his flawless block/wakeup(spear slice)

face down wakeup: flaming heel drop back 3 from MK11

sitting down wakeup: flawless block/wakeup(upward sword slash)

ledge grab attack: slide attack(MKvsDC)

hot breath item: Scorpion doesn't hop up & down like an idiot. instead his flaming skull is revealed during the fire breath animation & when you move Scorpion, he walks as if he's doing his amplified demon breath from MK11

assist trophy/+1 stock flag pick up: MK1 victory pose

successful stock up pose: MK9 fatality startup pose(sped up)

jab: his 1,1,1, combo string from MK9

f-tilt: 3,3,4, from MK9

d-tilt: back 2 from MK9

u-tilt: his up 4 from MKDA

f-smash: his power attack from injustice

d-smash: his ninjitsu sweep attack from MKX

u-smash: uppercut from MKSM with fire effects

running attack: back 2 from MK11

n-air: up 3/4 from MK11

f-air: death spin from MK11 with fire effects

d-air: sin blade from MK11, can meteor smash

b-air: up 1 from MK11

u-air: flip kick with flame effect. teleport kick amplified from MKX

grab: spear that tethers

pummel: gut punch

f-throw: knee(grab ender from MK Deception)

b-throw: back grab from MK11 with flame effect

d-throw: forward grab from Injustice with flame effect

u-throw: grab from MKX with flame effect

neutral special: spear from MK11. spear has different branch enders depending on direction.

do nothing, scorpion turns opponent to the other side while slicing them from behind(MK11), does alot of damage, but no knockback.

press forward, elbow strike that stuns opponent for a free hit. opponent stays stunned longer the higher their percentage is(amplified spear from MK11)

press back, Scorpion shoots second spear into opponent. he then lifts them up & slams them to the other side for damage & knockback(the move he does in the MKX trailer)

press down, leg takedown that does good damage but no knockback.

press up, he uppercuts opponent for decent knockback & damage.

in air, Scorpion does his neutral ender.

down special: flameport(MK Shaolin Monks)

in air, he does his regular teleport attack

up special: flip kick(injustice) with fire effect

side special: hell flame(MK11). holding left or right determines the distance of projectile

final smash: Toasty

Scorpion teleports into the background, unleashes his mask to reveal a flaming skull & unleashes a gigantic stream of flames out of his mouth, swaying to & fro across the ground that damages opponents upon contact. also creating medium sized pillars erected from the ground that have explosion effect that knockbacks opponents. final smash lasts for 10 seconds.

up taunt: default end of round taunt from MKX/MK11
(quotes from taunt)
"novice!"
"you will suffer!"
"to the netherrealm with you!"
"no mercy!"

side taunt: unsheaths his sword in an upright stance before sheathing it back in & returning to neutral idle
(taunt quotes)
"do not anger me!"
"the netherrealm beckons"
"just a scratch!"

down taunt: MK9 end of round pose

victory fanfare: MK1 victory ending theme

victory pose 1: he clasps both his arms to his chest in a cross form while his eyes ignite charging up before he explodes in a burst of flames(this is where the background explosion effect happens) with his skeleton in prominent display(his explode victory pose from MK11)

(quotes from victory pose)

"I burn with pain!"
"with fire, be cleansed"
"your flesh will melt!"

victory pose 2/team runner up pose: Scorpion raises his arm up, then he recreates his MK2 victory pose(background explosion effect here) (MK11 classic victory pose)
(quote from victory pose)

"for the shirai ryu!"
"what did you expect!"

victory pose 3/team leader pose: Scorpion unsheaths his sword with a slash iaido style that leaves a fiery trail behind the blade, He then pulls the sheath out & the camera zooms in on Scorpion as he sheaths his sword back in(cue background explosion effect) (his sword victory pose from MK11)

defeat clap pose: clapping while looking away in disgust.

Gimmick-Hater

Smash Apprentice
Even though the Smash invitation is pretty generic outside of the seal & this isn't Scorpion, I still thought it was funny when my friend sent me this image from the MK comic with the caption, "Guess who got invited to Smash! Lol."

5286785-destroys stone slabs.jpg

ramon_zer0

Smash Apprentice
Just want to show up here and pledge my support for everyone's favorite undead ninja.

Also, if this game ends up being the first time we get to see MORTAL KOMBAT VS. STREET FIGHTER, I think I'll actually die. That's the most 90's hype thing ever.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I've pledged my support for Scorpion for months. He's my most wanted next to Waluigi.

I'm fairly confident in its possibility, the only thing stopping him is pretty much time and waiting to be chosen.

Ih8heels

Smash Cadet
I know I'll probably become Bubba's sex toy for this but man https://youtube.com/watch?v=apHsbrdjjiA

Scorpion does in fact have a japanese voice in the first Injustice with a voice filter to boot. Like I said earlier, nobody bothers to dub the grunts in Netherrealm titles. Just the dialogue.

Another thing I forgot in that movelist is that Scorpion can wallkick because it was an unlockable ability he had while him & Sub-Zero were unlockable protagonists in Shaolin Monks.

Another gimmick that i would like exclusive to Scorpion is making the characters that had their more brutal attacks that were removed to make things more kid friendly be brought back to only be done on Scorpion. Like, for example, Bowser having his melee Koopa Claw where he bites his opponent only can be done on Scorpion while for others he does his flying slam. Same with Peach having her pre-SSBU grabs back only working against Scorpion while the rest receive the Toad assist grab. I made this idea to reflect on the fact on how much punishment & maiming/lethal attacks that Scorpion & the rest of the MK cast can tank & still continue to fight.

UserKev

Smash Champion
With both Street Fighter and Fetal Furry/King of Fighters, two cultural giants present in Smash, it'd be a low key tragedy if Scorpion is never in Smash. I really feel like Mortal Kombat is the last cultural significant fighting game that will complete the captcha.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
With both Street Fighter and Fetal Furry/King of Fighters, two cultural giants present in Smash, it'd be a low key tragedy if Scorpion is never in Smash. I really feel like Mortal Kombat is the last cultural significant fighting game that will complete the captcha.
Honestly, while Mortal Kombat is in fact one of them, it is not the last. Tekken would have something to say about that.
While MK is the last significant 2D fighter, it can be argued that it has less impact than Tekken. Yes, MK is revolutionairy with video game violence, and gore, but that's it. Tekken on the other hand also revolutionated 3D fighting game and it's complexity during the mid 90's. While I do love Scorpion, and I really want Scorpion, I do as well really want Heihachi, and the only reason I wanted to state anything was because there is no way it can be possible to only say MK is being the "last" cultural significant fighting game franchise left in Smash.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Honestly, while Mortal Kombat is in fact one of them, it is not the last. Tekken would have something to say about that.
While MK is the last significant 2D fighter, it can be argued that it has less impact than Tekken. Yes, MK is revolutionairy with video game violence, and gore, but that's it. Tekken on the other hand also revolutionated 3D fighting game and it's complexity during the mid 90's. While I do love Scorpion, and I really want Scorpion, I do as well really want Heihachi, and the only reason I wanted to state anything was because there is no way it can be possible to only say MK is being the "last" cultural significant fighting game franchise left in Smash.
Because lets pretend a Tekken character isn't way more likely to get representation than MK.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I mean, Heihachi didn't have a Mii costume shown earlier like the others, so he's still possible in that sense. Personally though I would prefer Nightmare or someone from Soul Calibur for a Namco fighter choice. Heihachi's more generic for me, but Tekken's a bigger brand, so he would naturally have more support by default. Scorpion is easily more unique though from a design standpoint imo, so would be a shame if he's not ever included despite which fighting series is bigger.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I feel Tekken is anonymous as a cultural fighter but is more specifically cultural as far as the tournament scene. I can't help but feel majority of Tekken's characters fail at household names while basically its only the female characters that represent it these days.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I feel Tekken is anonymous as a cultural fighter but is more specifically cultural as far as the tournament scene. I can't help but feel majority of Tekken's characters fail at household names while basically its only the female characters that represent it these days.
Whaaaaaaaaat?
Jin Kazama.
Kazuya Mishima.
Heihachi Mishima.
Hwoarang.
Paul Phoenix.
Marshall Law.
Steve Fox.
Eddy Gordo.
Yoshimitsu (?)
King.

Are you kidding me?

UserKev

Smash Champion
Whaaaaaaaaat?
Jin Kazama.
Kazuya Mishima.
Heihachi Mishima.
Hwoarang.
Paul Phoenix.
Marshall Law.
Steve Fox.
Eddy Gordo.
Yoshimitsu (?)
King.

Are you kidding me?
Bruh. Either way, Tekken is a Japanese IP, so by default, its very merited for Smash.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Don't worry, I don't take it personal, I admit that we all have different opinions, and I'm glad to respect yours as well, but you got to admit the importance Tekken resembles as well.

However ... How would Mortal Kombat come to Smash if it's banned in Japan?
I think that's the ultimate shame really, because Scorpion would be pretty epic as a playable character.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Scorpion should have been in over Terry. More unique and from a lot more well-known franchise. I tried to explain that to the children in the Newcomer Speculation thread and they just threw insults at me. Even Sakurai acknowledged that SNK is very obscure in the Direct Today.

Still excited to play Terry but Scorpion would likely have had a more unique moveset. BTW, I have MK10. I loved it. Best Mortal Kombat game I have played since the original trilogy.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ed Boon is teasing that a "big Mortal Kombat surprise" news is coming in 2020.
At this point I just want the original trilogy on SNES Online.

But yeah, it would be nice if the surprise is Scorpion getting in Smash. I believe Scorpion (and Sub-Zero) would get unique mechanics from Mortal Kombat games like high and low punches and kicks.

UserKev

Smash Champion
However ... How would Mortal Kombat come to Smash if it's banned in Japan?
I think that's the ultimate shame really, because Scorpion would be pretty epic as a playable character.
That's one of the incredible obstacles Scorpion has to face. His fan demand is rising so Scorpion will get in on sheer fan demand.

Scorpion should have been in over Terry. More unique and from a lot more well-known franchise. I tried to explain that to the children in the Newcomer Speculation thread and they just threw insults at me. Even Sakurai acknowledged that SNK is very obscure in the Direct Today.

Still excited to play Terry but Scorpion would likely have had a more unique moveset. BTW, I have MK10. I loved it. Best Mortal Kombat game I have played since the original trilogy.
I read them. Both arguments were calm but I think you slipped into aggression and went wrong with some of your wordings. Had you stated Scorpion is just as iconic as etc, your argument could have been more agreeable.

Thought people got over this? :laugh: The mechanics of Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat are way too different.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's not that, it's weird how Street Fighter is apparently too kiddy to get in Mortal Kombat.

Then again, MK's guest characters are nothing but serial killers anyway. Akuma just murdered one guy, and even that didn't stick.

Last edited:

Ih8heels

Smash Cadet
Why does everyone & their mothers like to perpetuate such fallacy as lolMkIsBaNnEdInJaPaN?

If that is true, then this website(daibunseki.tonosama.jp/page053.html) would've been received a shutdown notice. & all the folks who stream the game would've been arrested. WB just decided not to officially release the game to that region because it would take too much effort(from their perspective) for them to edit the installment to CERO's liking. Hell, even SaKKKurai criticized the rating system during development of Smash for the 3DS/WiiU if I recall.

& from what I'm hearing on the scourge, known as the gamefaqs message boards, there's some user, who refers to himself as Calebtine, making claims about Scorpion being a lock for a DLC spot, if not Fighter #5. I'm still skeptical on it myself but it sure is something to think about.

I find it surreal that Yoshinori Ono persistently gives acknowledgement towards the MK franchise. Not to mention the manhands douchebag made mentions of wanting manhands into the MK11 installment even though it's hurr durr bAnNeD in his country.

If Scorpion doesn't make it in, just take into consideration that we fought the good fight & maybe, JUST maybe, he becomes a playable character in Smash 6, since his game was on the switch.

& consider this, out of all the fighting game characters playable on the roster,(don't hesitate to correct me if I'm wrong) Only Mortal Kombat's games(Trilogy, Mythologies, 4) were playable in the Nintendo 64, where Smash made it's debut.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I give Scorpion a 20% in terms of realism and likeliness. Scorpion is just, up in the air and maybe Sakurai was aware of whatever any Japan backlash against Mortal Kombat that happened, Sakurai is potentially aware of the mk franchise and It shouldn't be a myth to him that a Kirby "Get over here" meme exists somewhere. No surprise, really.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Honestly, I think the biggest hurdle for Scorpion is MK being owned by WB now, and WB is a terrible publisher, who has practically no vision, and implements predatory DLC practices. We've gotten two cancelled HD remakes of MK 1-3 under their watch. Outside of providing the funds for the latest MK titles (like MKX and 11), they've been a slow death sentence for the series. At least there's the movie reboot happening soon though, but still.

Then again, I guess if Sakurai really wanted Scorpion, he shouldn't have too much trouble getting WB to agree, but it'd sadly be more up to them than Ed Boon, who would be all for it. The praise that Boon gave to Smash Ultimate is surreal, on that note.

Last edited:

TheTruthSheet

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3846-7402-4701
At the very least if all the rumors and "leaks" are in fact legit, then Doom Slayer should be the last fighter of the Fighter Pack. If this is the case, than hopefully it should be enough to silence many naysayers seeing as Doom Slayer crosses off many of the points that people have against Scorpion: Too violent, unrecognizable to Japanese fans, from an M rated series, among others. Though I still am being doubtful about Scorpion getting in seeing as the first Fighters Pass were characters selected by Nintendo (from what I've heard), and if the future characters are chosen by Sakurai himself, then I don't feel good about his chances.

UserKev

Smash Champion
It makes Scorpion speculation all the more interesting. There is really no certain way to feel about his odds. He just makes sense on a cultural gaming icon stand point.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I had an idea for the spear but Scorpion's logo in Smash will most likely be the MK logo. Also, hilarious how Scorpion's dizzy animation is literally already finished.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In any case, asking WB would likely be almost as much of an expensive venture as Enix was. :ulthero: So, I figure it'd only be done when the time is right.

At least we'd have a much easier time getting music remixes in that case.

Also, since according to a book, DLC for Ultimate was decided behind the staffers' backs, I figure that Nintendo's decisions will continue to factor into things.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Any chance Scorpion and Sub-Zero get in together so we can have Ryu and Ken vs. Scorpion and Sub-Zero?
A western echo of MK is really unlikely, its really too early for the discussion, honestly. Scorpion or Sub Zero will most likely be singular reps.

Cruelcumber

Smash Cadet
A western echo of MK is really unlikely, its really too early for the discussion, honestly. Scorpion or Sub Zero will most likely be singular reps.
Yeah, if by some miracle that an MK character does get in, it would probably only be one. Also Scorpion & Sub-Zero being echo fighters of each other would be a disastrous way to represent them. The two have very different, unique moves that belong to each character. Superficially they may look similar, but play-style wise the two ninjas have drastically different elements behind them.

Although on the plus side, I think that WB would be a lot easier to work with than Disney for character licensing.

Top Bottom