• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Hey Toad bros! I decided to play through Treasure Tracker again recently, and since I’ve been more active on the boards lately I figured I’d bring this up.

I’m positive this has already been discussed ad nauseam, but what’s everyone’s opinion on jumping? For Captain Toad, specifically. Should they commit and build his moveset around his inability to jump, or should they just give him a short jump like regular Toad? I‘d personally prefer him to just have a short jump (especially since I would rather have Toad or a Toad/Capt. hybrid). However, I can’t help but feel like Sakurai would want to go all in with his no-jumping gimmick and make a moveset that really plays into what Captain Toad is all about. I don’t know, I just wanted to hear everyone’s thoughts.
If you want jumping, you got Toad.

If you want a moveset that doesn't have jumping, you got Captain Toad.

Separate but both unique characters with a lot of fun capabilities. Having a character who can't jump in Smash Bros. would stand out in a good way, imo. And regular Toad, being a very iconic character, missing, is still awkward. Though honestly, just add both in their own slot, and we're all even better~ IMO, obviously.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
To be honest...good.

Nobody saw Rosalina, Daisy or Plant as competition either until they were announced.
The less people that suspect Toad the more likely he is to make it going off what's happened regarding Mario in the past few games.
I wish that is the case... but Sakurai probably has a fungal allergy. :ohwell:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
anyone know how treasure tracker did in terms of sales across all three versions?
Wii U: 1.36 million copies.
Switch: 1.58 million copies as of November 2020. Source
3DS: No info available, likely under 1 million though with so little info.

Wikipedia has the Switch version at 1.44 million but that only covered until December 31st 2019.

Wouldn't be surprised if Treasure Tracker got a bump on Switch this past month thanks to the screw up in Walmart though.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Wii U: 1.36 million copies.
Switch: 1.58 million copies as of November 2020. Source
3DS: No info available, likely under 1 million though with so little info.

Wikipedia has the Switch version at 1.44 million but that only covered until December 31st 2019.

Wouldn't be surprised if Treasure Tracker got a bump on Switch this past month thanks to the screw up in Walmart though.
well maybe that be enough to encourage a sequel

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
well maybe that be enough to encourage a sequel
I'd imagine it's about 3 million copies across all platforms, which considering Captain Toad seemed to be a budget title bodes well for us Toad fans.

It's not an incredible success on Splatoon's level but I'm expecting a further spike in sales post 3D World release as that game will definitely sell well and introduce far more people to the Captain Toad game style.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I'd imagine it's about 3 million copies across all platforms, which considering Captain Toad seemed to be a budget title bodes well for us Toad fans.

It's not an incredible success on Splatoon's level but I'm expecting a further spike in sales post 3D World release as that game will definitely sell well and introduce far more people to the Captain Toad game style.
let’s hope so

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Toad Brigade Update:

Bowser's Fury's length has been leaked and new gameplay footage:

The add on campaign will last you about three hours to do the bare minimum to complete it. Six hours to get absolutely everything done. New footage can be found here, which includes an encounter with a shadowy familiar face(bewarned, spoilers):

Cat Tour starts in Mario Kart Tour to coincede with 3D World's upcoming release:
Cat Peach was a no brainer, but everyone assumed the other would be Cat Mario but...

Cat Toad made it in?!? Surprised but happy with that!
He's available as the spotlight character a week from now (Feb 3rd), so if you're saving your rubies, it may be worth throwing those down. He's adorable!

Both Cat Peach and Cat Toad come with the brand new Cat Bell item which functions similar to the Super Horn in Mario Kart 8; creating massive shockwaves that break items around you. Not sure if this includes Blue Shells, but the description states it protects the user whilst ringing.

3D World + Bowser's Fury package from Nintendo.co.uk:
Old news now, but Nintendo.co.uk are doing a package which includes the game, a snazzy steel book, a set of stickers and a plush of either Cat Mario, Cat Luigi, Cat Peach, Cat Toad or (non Cat) Bowser if you're still thinking about getting the game: Nintendo.co.uk's Bundles

American audiences don't seem to have quite the same offering(sorry guys, I'm a Brit so I'm not sure on your packages) but they can earn 100 Nintendo Platinum Points on the official Super Mario 3D World website. My Super Mario 3D All Stars poster set arrived today from my platinum points incidentally. They're flipping huge. Save up those points now because there's inevitably going to be something 3D World related coming in the upcoming weeks.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Toad Brigade Update:

Bowser's Fury's length has been leaked and new gameplay footage:

The add on campaign will last you about three hours to do the bare minimum to complete it. Six hours to get absolutely everything done. New footage can be found here, which includes an encounter with a shadowy familiar face(bewarned, spoilers):

Cat Tour starts in Mario Kart Tour to coincede with 3D World's upcoming release:
Cat Peach was a no brainer, but everyone assumed the other would be Cat Mario but...

He's available as the spotlight character a week from now (Feb 3rd), so if you're saving your rubies, it may be worth throwing those down. He's adorable!

Both Cat Peach and Cat Toad come with the brand new Cat Bell item which functions similar to the Super Horn in Mario Kart 8; creating massive shockwaves that break items around you. Not sure if this includes Blue Shells, but the description states it protects the user whilst ringing.

3D World + Bowser's Fury package from Nintendo.co.uk:
Old news now, but Nintendo.co.uk are doing a package which includes the game, a snazzy steel book, a set of stickers and a plush of either Cat Mario, Cat Luigi, Cat Peach, Cat Toad or (non Cat) Bowser if you're still thinking about getting the game: Nintendo.co.uk's Bundles

American audiences don't seem to have quite the same offering(sorry guys, I'm a Brit so I'm not sure on your packages) but they can earn 100 Nintendo Platinum Points on the official Super Mario 3D World website. My Super Mario 3D All Stars poster set arrived today from my platinum points incidentally. They're flipping huge. Save up those points now because there's inevitably going to be something 3D World related coming in the upcoming weeks.
its oddly pleasing to see cat toad even though i stop playing ages ago. though i have felt once or twice that we should have gotten cat toad in MK8 as we already had 3 peachs

Otoad64

Smash Lord

is Tanooki Mario in the game? either way they might've gone with cat toad because maybe Cat and Tanooki Mario is a bit redundant and repetitive

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
is Tanooki Mario in the game? either way they might've gone with cat toad because maybe Cat and Tanooki Mario is a bit redundant and repetitive
Surprisingly Tanooki Mario hasn't happened just yet, but Mario has had 11 alts at this point(13 if we count Baby Mario and Metal Mario as being Mario alts).

I wouldn't be surprised if Tanooki Mario or Cat Mario happens in the next tour though with Kitsune Luigi or Cat Luigi.

its oddly pleasing to see cat toad even though i stop playing ages ago. though i have felt once or twice that we should have gotten cat toad in MK8 as we already had 3 peachs
I know I'm super bias but I always thought Cat Toad was the least bizarre looking cat suit character which made me wonder why they picked Peach as 'the' cat suit character between Mario Kart 8, Odyssey cameos, the Amiibo set and now Tour.

Peach kind of looks like her body should be longer than the suit allows.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I know I'm super bias but I always thought Cat Toad was the least bizarre looking cat suit character which made me wonder why they picked Peach as 'the' cat suit character between Mario Kart 8, Odyssey cameos, the Amiibo set and now Tour.

Peach kind of looks like her body should be longer than the suit allows.
well not the biggest size inconsistency in mario

if youll pardon the pun

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I've been super busy this week, but Toad news:

• Cat Toad is NOW available from in Mario Kart Tour. If you have rubies, go pull for the cute little guy
  • 3D World releases in one week! Are you excited to revisit the game?
Found something a little interesting for you all today: Swankybox attempted to pick up 3D World items with Captain Toad...and here's the results:

Last edited:

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Ive seen someone ask about my opinion of Plant and

I HATE P. Plant i hate the argument Moveset because A lot of non Mario Enemys have diffrent Versions Aswell
lets say Metroids, Oktorocks or sorta BWD

Puuuh i just needed to let some Steam of

I dont want Toad in Ultimate Although he isnt really hated by me but
He can be in Smash 6 (which is hopefully not a reboot but instead cuts Characters like Pichu, Lucina and Chrome and Adds some more Zelda and Kirby Characters

And toad

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
Damn, that's sorta cool there aren't invisible walls like I would've assumed.

I'm liking Bowser's Fury way more than 3D World.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I have a question about the mainline Mario games. Are the mainline Mario games episodic/connected to each other?

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
nah they have a very, very, VERY loose canon

like you don't even have to play Mario Galaxy to understand Galaxy 2
Well, most of the mainline Mario games have a storyline, but I think I've come to conclusion that they aren't solely episodic despite being sequels and prequels. For example, Super Mario 3D World is the sequel to New Super Mario Bros. U, but it's not an episodic sequel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom