• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Toad/Captain Toad for Smash, Toad Brigade Assemble!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Well, they did use him as the example of how to vote in the Smash Ballot

Anyone remember "Because I'm a big fan of Meow Meow Mario"?
I remember. :(

I would be very furious and insulted if Toad finally gets in Smash as a playable fighter... as Cat Mario’s alt Cat Toad.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I would love to see a new Mario & Luigi game. We have been getting nothing but remakes lately.

I want one where Mario & Luigi team up with Toad & Toadette. And one with Peach & Daisy and one with Wario & Waluigi.
toad, toadette, peach and wario would be great to team up with in a game

part of me wants one where they team up with sonic and tails

Last edited:

Dan

Smash Lord
I would love to see a new Mario & Luigi game. We have been getting nothing but remakes lately.

I want one where Mario & Luigi team up with Toad & Toadette. And one with Peach & Daisy and one with Wario & Waluigi.
It's honestly messed up Wario and Waluigi don't have prominence in the Mario franchise outside of the party games... what a missed opportunity.

Dan

Smash Lord
Like I don't understand why they don't use Mario characters in Mario games; it's a huge issue of mine. Take Odyssey for instance: why not have a DK boss battle in New Donk where you could've captured a plane and took him down King Kong-style, or the Koopalings instead of the Broodals. The Broodals are pretty forgettable and pointless at the end of the day. I know people tire of the Koopalings (which I honestly don't understand why and too bad for them), but they would've been welcome bosses in a 3D sandbox game.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Like I don't understand why they don't use Mario characters in Mario games; it's a huge issue of mine. Take Odyssey for instance: why not have a DK boss battle in New Donk where you could've captured a plane and took him down King Kong-style, or the Koopalings instead of the Broodals. The Broodals are pretty forgettable and pointless at the end of the day. I know people tire of the Koopalings (which I honestly don't understand why and too bad for them), but they would've been welcome bosses in a 3D sandbox game.
its probably because they want to try new things

Otoad64

Smash Lord
personally I like the broodals because they're new characters, but yeah I wish they would use some mario side characters in mainline games more, odyssey was a step in the right direction with toadette and pauline but they should use the entire mario cast or at least most of it instead of the same 5-7 characters.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I've got the Odyssey concept art book(great book btw, highly recommend it) which showcases the Broodals creation process. Sadly it's all in Japanese and I cannot read it, but some of the original designs included:
  • a set of four 'Bridesmaid Koopalings'; four female Koopaling designs, one of whom has hair very similar to Peach.
  • a set of four 'mafia hitmen Koopalings', one of whom looks like a taller Ludwig, but they all look vaguely threatening
  • a set of four 'circus themed Koopalings', including a jester one which looks awfully similar to 3D World's jester boss
  • a version where they are alligators, but otherwise seem to have the same attacks(female has a spiked ball, fattest one spits purple goop, small one wears a stack of hats and a large tall one)
  • a version where they're all living hats similar to Cappy
  • My personal favourite: a version where they're classic Mario enemies: a tall dopey looking Monty Mole, a female buzzy beetle with Toadette hair(complete with bob-ombs on the end), a Koopa Troopa wearing a stack of three shells on their head like hats and a piranha plant which presumably would have spat out the purple gunk.
As I say, I can't read the text but if I was to be a betting man the Broodals were decided upon due to the game being all about having a wedding on the moon, and rabbits being heavily associated with the moon.

I'd think the Koopalings and Jr would have fit nicely since...ya know...it's their dad's wedding, but it appears they wanted wedding planners from the start and only wanted four minibosses from the get go.

Absolutely no clue on Donkey Kong. He doesn't even seem to have been considered.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
I've got the Odyssey concept art book(great book btw, highly recommend it) which showcases the Broodals creation process. Sadly it's all in Japanese and I cannot read it, but some of the original designs included:
  • a set of four 'Bridesmaid Koopalings'; four female Koopaling designs, one of whom has hair very similar to Peach.
  • a set of four 'mafia hitmen Koopalings', one of whom looks like a taller Ludwig, but they all look vaguely threatening
  • a set of four 'circus themed Koopalings', including a jester one which looks awfully similar to 3D World's jester boss
  • a version where they are alligators, but otherwise seem to have the same attacks(female has a spiked ball, fattest one spits purple goop, small one wears a stack of hats and a large tall one)
  • My personal favourite: a version where they're classic Mario enemies: a tall dopey looking Monty Mole, a female buzzy beetle with Toadette hair(complete with bob-ombs on the end), a Koopa Troopa wearing a stack of three shells on their head like hats and a piranha plant which presumably would have spat out the purple gunk.
As I say, I can't read the text but if I was to be a betting man the Broodals were decided upon due to the game being all about having a wedding on the moon, and rabbits being heavily associated with the moon.

I'd think the Koopalings and Jr would have fit nicely since...ya know...it's their dad's wedding, but it appears they wanted wedding planners from the start and only wanted four minibosses from the get go.

Absolutely no clue on Donkey Kong. He doesn't even seem to have been considered.
I think I remember hearing rosalina has in the concept art book. Is that true?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I think I remember hearing rosalina has in the concept art book. Is that true?
Can confirm it is. She was considered to appear in New Donk City as a busker with a guitar. When I get back I'll post some pics up from the book.

...Which now I think about it is a bit odd when you remember some of the game takes place in space.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

where did you get this art book?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I know that feeling. I was hoping to see Tatanga from Super Mario Land in Super Mario Galaxy games... and Wart and other enemies from Super Mario Bros. 2 in Mario & Luigi: Dream Team and Super Mario 3D World... and Donkey Kong in Super Mario Odyssey, not the 8-bit sprite version.

They also introduced many generic races... but the only ones they use all the time are Toads and Yoshis. I would like to see the other generic races show up in more games as NPCs or playable characters.

I was kinda hoping to see cartoony humans in New Donk City but we got realistic looking humans in business suits instead and Pauline was the only cartoony human in New Donk City. It would have been kinda funny if all the cartoony men looked like Mario (like Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi) and the cartoony women looked like Peach (like Pauline, Daisy, and Rosalina).

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I know that feeling. I was hoping to see Tatanga from Super Mario Land in Super Mario Galaxy games... and Wart and other enemies from Super Mario Bros. 2 in Mario & Luigi: Dream Team and Super Mario 3D World... and Donkey Kong in Super Mario Odyssey, not the 8-bit sprite version.

They also introduced many generic races... but the only ones they use all the time are Toads and Yoshis. I would like to see the other generic races show up in more games as NPCs or playable characters.

I was kinda hoping to see cartoony humans in New Donk City but we got realistic looking humans in business suits instead and Pauline was the only cartoony human in New Donk City. It would have been kinda funny if all the cartoony men looked like Mario (like Luigi, Wario, and Waluigi) and the cartoony women looked like Peach (like Pauline, Daisy, and Rosalina).
I know there’s a few races I’d love to see again

Dan

Smash Lord
kinds of proves my point
No it doesn't... it's the opposite. You're saying they need to try something new and what I'm proposing is something new. What I'm proposing is putting characters like Wario, Waluigi, Birdo, DK, the Koopalings, etc. in the sandbox games... it hasn't been done before. I'm referring to the games like 64, Sunshine and Odyssey. I guess the biggest culprit for me is Odyssey, cause 64 is totally understandable and I think Sunshine did good. I think the best option would be for an open world Mario game set in the Mushroom Kingdom and then these characters would have a place because as of now, the formula for the sandbox games is that Mario, Peach, Bowser, Toad and Yoshi are only allowed.

i mean the koopaling battles are repeated every game theyre in
No, they're not; they were only fought once each in 3, World and the NSMB games. You fight each Broodal more than once, so what I'm suggesting is some of those battles could've been Koopaling skin swaps since they're already repeating fights, like Roy and Morton could've been the same fight for instance.

Tall Broodal = Iggy & Lemmy (on ball)
Big Broodal = Morton & Roy
Female Broodal = Wendy
Normal Broodal = Larry & Ludwig

Or any combination.

I just can't stand for how these games it's like "Let's throw everything out the window and pretend only five Mario characters exist, and you're lucky if you see the Mushroom Kingdom". How about instead of the Mushroom Kingdom being a hidden easter egg at the end, a game actually takes place there? What a novel concept.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
No it doesn't... it's the opposite. You're saying they need to try something new and what I'm proposing is something new. What I'm proposing is putting characters like Wario, Waluigi, Birdo, DK, the Koopalings, etc. in the sandbox games... it hasn't been done before. I'm referring to the games like 64, Sunshine and Odyssey. I guess the biggest culprit for me is Odyssey, cause 64 is totally understandable and I think Sunshine did good. I think the best option would be for an open world Mario game set in the Mushroom Kingdom and then these characters would have a place because as of now, the formula for the sandbox games is that Mario, Peach, Bowser, Toad and Yoshi are only allowed.
no im suggesting thats what nintendo want to do im not saying they need to do anything

No, they're not; they were only fought once each in 3, World and the NSMB games. You fight each Broodal more than once, so what I'm suggesting is some of those battles could've been Koopaling skin swaps since they're already repeating fights, like Roy and Morton could've been the same fight for instance.

Tall Broodal = Iggy & Lemmy (on ball)
Big Broodal = Morton & Roy
Female Broodal = Wendy
Normal Broodal = Larry & Ludwig

Or any combination.

I just can't stand for how these games it's like "Let's throw everything out the window and pretend only five Mario characters exist, and you're lucky if you see the Mushroom Kingdom". How about instead of the Mushroom Kingdom being a hidden easter egg at the end, a game actually takes place there? What a novel concept.
i meant its the same boss fights in every game with them so using them more would be the opposite of doing something new

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
As promised:

Busker-Rosalina.png

This is the only picture of her within the book.

Some other interesting aspects include some planned outfits for Mario that didn't make the cut. Most are just genuine outfits but there's a few interesting ones:
  • Toad
  • Toadette
  • Bowser Jr
  • Madam Broodal
  • Luma (this one is hilarious. Mario looks like he's dressed as a lemon)
  • Sprixie Princess (the green one)
  • Pionpi (from Super Mario Land...it might just be a regular Jiangshi, but I'm choosing to believe it might be a reference)
  • Popo (Ice Climbers)
  • Pit (Kid Icarus)
  • Ayumi (Detective Club...possibly. It could also be a generic Japanese school girl outfit)

Some prototypes for the New Donkers were originally going to be designed more like Mario, Luigi, Peach, Pauline, etc. They're all drawn with simple faces(think Ness or Lucas' artstyle and you're there for these ones). A Toad is drawn next to them to show their height comparitively.

However it seems they wanted Mario to feel weirdly alienated from the people of New Donk as some of the art includes these cartoonier New Donkers speaking in symbols, and some of them appearing without either eyes(just shadow where their eyes would be), without mouths or in 8 bit form. The ones without eyes appear to be scowling at Mario as he walks past.

I'd guess they went with the realistic humans to get this idea of alienation across in a different visual way.

Slightly spoilery tidbit:
At the end of the game when Peach starts traveling around the kingdoms, a singular Toad(probably THE Toad in this scenario) was originally planned to tour with her.

There's also some artwork of Mario and Captain Toad by a campfire cooking some fish, one where Bowser is being carried by a group of enslaved Toads and even something you'd think wouldn't need a lot of extra design work put into it like Peach's Castle and the Mushroom Kingdom went through several redesign stages.

where did you get this art book?
MCM London comic-con, three years ago.

Since then though an English translated version has been released and is available from Amazon for far cheaper than when I got my original version.

It's also available at Waterstones and Forbidden Planet(currently out of stock) for us brits. I'm sure there's retailers all around the world that could get you a copy if you're searching for it though.

Maybe you guys can translate it to me :p

But the battles repeated. There are more Broodal battles than Koopalings. They probably could've even crammed Bowser Jr. in.
They probably could have but at least according to the art book here they weren't even considered for Odyssey. I'm not sure why. The only thing with Jr planned for Odyssey appears to be a scrapped outfit for Mario to wear.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
As promised:

View attachment 299607

This is the only picture of her within the book.

Some other interesting aspects include some planned outfits for Mario that didn't make the cut. Most are just genuine outfits but there's a few interesting ones:
  • Toad
  • Toadette
  • Bowser Jr
  • Madam Broodal
  • Luma (this one is hilarious. Mario looks like he's dressed as a lemon)
  • Sprixie Princess (the green one)
  • Pionpi (from Super Mario Land...it might just be a regular Jiangshi, but I'm choosing to believe it might be a reference)
  • Popo (Ice Climbers)
  • Pit (Kid Icarus)
  • Ayumi (Detective Club...possibly. It could also be a generic Japanese school girl outfit)

Some prototypes for the New Donkers were originally going to be designed more like Mario, Luigi, Peach, Pauline, etc. They're all drawn with simple faces(think Ness or Lucas' artstyle and you're there for these ones). A Toad is drawn next to them to show their height comparitively.

However it seems they wanted Mario to feel weirdly alienated from the people of New Donk as some of the art includes these cartoonier New Donkers speaking in symbols, and some of them appearing without either eyes(just shadow where their eyes would be), without mouths or in 8 bit form. The ones without eyes appear to be scowling at Mario as he walks past.

I'd guess they went with the realistic humans to get this idea of alienation across in a different visual way.

Slightly spoilery tidbit:
At the end of the game when Peach starts traveling around the kingdoms, a singular Toad(probably THE Toad in this scenario) was originally planned to tour with her.

There's also some artwork of Mario and Captain Toad by a campfire cooking some fish, one where Bowser is being carried by a group of enslaved Toads and even something you'd think wouldn't need a lot of extra design work put into it like Peach's Castle and the Mushroom Kingdom went through several redesign stages.

MCM London comic-con, three years ago.

Since then though an English translated version has been released and is available from Amazon for far cheaper than when I got my original version.

It's also available at Waterstones and Forbidden Planet(currently out of stock) for us brits. I'm sure there's retailers all around the world that could get you a copy if you're searching for it though.

Maybe you guys can translate it to me :p

They probably could have but at least according to the art book here they weren't even considered for Odyssey. I'm not sure why. The only thing with Jr planned for Odyssey appears to be a scrapped outfit for Mario to wear.
I’ll have to see if I can find a copy

Dan

Smash Lord
i meant its the same boss fights in every game with them so using them more would be the opposite of doing something new
Yeah, but they've never been fought in a 3D space; the possibilities are endless, especially if they had top hats like the Broodals.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, but they've never been fought in a 3D space; the possibilities are endless, especially if they had top hats like the Broodals.
based on everything theyve done so far i doubt it be anything spectacular

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Some more info about 3D World has arrived regarding base game tweaks:
  • Characters base speed has all been upped to between 20-30% faster than the Wii U title which also affects their horizontal jump distance.
  • All characters can climb higher and for longer than the Wii U version when using a Cat Bell
  • All characters can now perform the roll move in midair giving them a dive option outside their cat power up
  • Screenshot mode has all the same filters Mario Odyssey's version had
  • Stamps are all in colour
  • Captain Toad confirmed for 4 player action. Still no word on if the Toads are recolours, Brigade members, Toadette or anything
  • Captain Toad levels have had Gyro controls added to them when in docked mode
  • Microphone platforms(where you blew into them) have been replaced with just regular lifting platforms.
  • Online allows two people per system to play
  • Online uses Mario Maker 2's same netcode
That last one is a little bit of a concern as I remember how badly Mario Maker 2's netcode ran in multiplayer. However considering literally anything could be in those custom made levels versus this one Nintendo actually designed themselves it should be better.

So far there's no news about any additional characters or new levels.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Oh for...

...not sure if this is allowed(mods please delete if not) but it seems Walmart have managed to balls up with Captain Toad Treasure Tracker's Special DLC over in America:

This is either a huge gaff on Walmart's part or a brilliant bit of marketing to get people excited for 3D World's release.

Otoad64

Smash Lord
Oh for...

...not sure if this is allowed(mods please delete if not) but it seems Walmart have managed to balls up with Captain Toad Treasure Tracker's Special DLC over in America:

This is either a huge gaff on Walmart's part or a brilliant bit of marketing to get people excited for 3D World's release.
Well if they're buying the DLC chances are they have the full game already

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Oh for...

walmart sounds like a very peculiar organisation

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Well if they're buying the DLC chances are they have the full game already
It started that way but word got around on Twitter and GameFAQS and so plenty have bought the game as a result.

I guess I haven't helped, but hey...the more people who experience the game the more chance of more fans, the more chance of sequels I hope!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Update regarding 3D World and Captain Toad:

Surprisingly Toadette didn't make it but the Treasure Tracker cast of Hint Toad, Yellow Toad(he needs a different name) and Bank Toad make their first playable appearances!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Update regarding 3D World and Captain Toad:

Surprisingly Toadette didn't make it but the Treasure Tracker cast of Hint Toad, Yellow Toad(he needs a different name) and Bank Toad make their first playable appearances!
huzzah we can play as sleepy

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Hey Toad bros! I decided to play through Treasure Tracker again recently, and since I’ve been more active on the boards lately I figured I’d bring this up.

I’m positive this has already been discussed ad nauseam, but what’s everyone’s opinion on jumping? For Captain Toad, specifically. Should they commit and build his moveset around his inability to jump, or should they just give him a short jump like regular Toad? I‘d personally prefer him to just have a short jump (especially since I would rather have Toad or a Toad/Capt. hybrid). However, I can’t help but feel like Sakurai would want to go all in with his no-jumping gimmick and make a moveset that really plays into what Captain Toad is all about. I don’t know, I just wanted to hear everyone’s thoughts.

crazybenjamin

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2794 0568 0108
I’m positive this has already been discussed ad nauseam, but what’s everyone’s opinion on jumping? For Captain Toad, specifically. Should they commit and build his moveset around his inability to jump, or should they just give him a short jump like regular Toad? I‘d personally prefer him to just have a short jump (especially since I would rather have Toad or a Toad/Capt. hybrid). However, I can’t help but feel like Sakurai would want to go all in with his no-jumping gimmick and make a moveset that really plays into what Captain Toad is all about. I don’t know, I just wanted to hear everyone’s thoughts.
If you're going to have a Toad that jumps, you might as well go for the more iconic one that has way more playable appearances.
On the other hand, if Sakurai wants a "no jumping" gimmick, that would justify choosing the Captain specifically

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
boy every time waluigi is in RTC it says something. no one considerers toad competition

Hey Toad bros! I decided to play through Treasure Tracker again recently, and since I’ve been more active on the boards lately I figured I’d bring this up.

toad bros? thats a new one

just show him sticking a super feather in his backpack in the trailer

Otoad64

Smash Lord

personally I would rather he does jump, but I definently agree sakurai would totally design his playstyle around not jumping
boy every time waluigi is in RTC it says something. no one considerers toad competition
it's because most of the smash community ignores toad's existance for some reason

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
To be honest...good.

Nobody saw Rosalina, Daisy or Plant as competition either until they were announced.
The less people that suspect Toad the more likely he is to make it going off what's happened regarding Mario in the past few games.

I'm pretty mixed on it in all honesty. If they give Captain Toad a ridiculous up special recovery to counter his lack of jumps I'm all for the no jump.

Equally though if they don't want to do such an extreme up special I'm fine with incredibly tiny hops referencing this (3:38 onwards):

If Toad's doing more regular jumps, I'd much rather go for classic Toad.

Top Bottom