• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

to those who dont mind 3rd party characters.........

BlackKnight1360

Smash Rookie
I would like to see Little Mac from Punch-Out!, and Simon from Castlevania for sure. I guess Little Mac is technically a first party character, but as a classic contender in the history of Nintendo, he definately deserves a position in the Smash roster. Megaman, Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden) and Sonic are also good suggestions.

On the side, smash~bomber, I know you have good intentions, and I respect your priority of keeping this thread in order, but could you please stop policing the comments that are posted? Unless its something way out of line, just be the bigger person and let it go; there is no need to correct or repremand others because they aren't "following the rules."

smash~bomber

Smash Journeyman
Somewhere where it's not quite hot, but not quite
BlackKnight1360 said:
I would like to see Little Mac from Punch-Out!, and Simon from Castlevania for sure. I guess Little Mac is technically a first party character, but as a classic contender in the history of Nintendo, he definately deserves a position in the Smash roster. Megaman, Ryu Hayabusa (Ninja Gaiden) and Sonic are also good suggestions.

On the side, smash~bomber, I know you have good intentions, and I respect your priority of keeping this thread in order, but could you please stop policing the comments that are posted? Unless its something way out of line, just be the bigger person and let it go; there is no need to correct or repremand others because they aren't "following the rules."

im sorry, but i just dont wanna see posts that say "but i dont want this guy cuz blabla, or i dont like blabla to be in the game cuz blabla" i just dont like seeing those things, it feels sorta "unfair" if you know what i mean.

Kingdom

Smash Rookie
I like to see people embracing third-parties into Smash. And I reallt like some of your suggestions. Also, realize that since Snake has been let in, then Konami has the green light for their characters. That means

Simon B.
Goemon, Ebismaru
Ryu (NG, not SF)
Bomberman, Max
Yugo
Frogger
Contra

A pretty salty group. But let's take these one developer at a time. Someone said Pac-man, so we'll start with Namco

Pac-man
Cless, Lloyd, Kratos
Klonoa
Mr. Driller
Kalas

Am I forgeting anyone from Konami or Namco? Also, let's try to exclude anybody that never saw a Nintendo console. It makes no sense to include them. Snake saw two games, both absolute classics. I'll add my picks for other companies later.

FoolyCooly

Smash Cadet
The moment Snake appeared in Smash, I was literally 'wtf?!'-happy. I'm not a huge fan of Metal Gear like Sony fanboys are, but I like the series and what it has to offer. Everyone who is complaining so much about third parties needs to remember a few golden rules:

1) Kojima (Snake's creator) and Sakurai (Smash's creator) are close friends. Consider Snake being in this game as a favor between close pals, huh?

2) Nobody's saying we should add every third party character ever made...well, a few are, and they can go f-themselves, but I digress. Most people are suggesting third party characters that a) Have good ties with Ninty - whether it be company or game the character stared in, b) Are popular, well-recognized characters, and c) Are generally a good candidate for Smash - a fun game based around fun, amusing characters in games that are not ACTUAl fighting games.

As such, here's a few characters I think would be fun, and why:
1) KOS-MOS - Xenosaga's mascot character. Xenosaga is a coming release for the Nintendo DS, as a complete remake of the PS2 games, only with less movies and more old-school RPG-ish cutscenes. Because of Namco's also obvious friendly nature with Ninty as of late, it's safe to assume they'd be willing to try to get a character of theirs addded. Not saying that KOS-MOS is their first choice, but it certainly is mine. Her movelist writes itself (if anyone here has played it, no explanation is neccessary); her fists, legs, and tech-weapons for melee moves, and her projectiles for specials. Plus, it would be a great way for Ninty to advertise for the DS version of Xenosaga. This suggestion is really just a personnal dream, I never expect it to happen, but It would be pretty **** fun...
2) Pacman - Not my personal favorite choice, but if Namco wants just one character in, I'll have to say Pacman seems likely. Not sure what his moves would be at all, but Ninty's creative. They'll think of moves, by golly.
3) Geno - He's already appeared on Sakurai's index of 'suggestions' on the japanese site, so this might be a sign. He's not only been on two Ninty games already, but because Square is REALLY friendly with Ninty right now, it wouldn't be far off. Certainly better than Cloud or Sephiroth, as he fits the bill for a Smasher very well. Melee attacks would be punches and kicks, specials would be projectiles of course.
4) Banjo-Kazooie - Suggesting them as one character, but not like the Ice Climbers; Banjo fights, Kazooie uses specials, or something to that angle. It's not completely out of the water: a) He's already been on three Ninty games, b) Rare is remaking one of those games, Diddy Kong Racing, on the DS. Could MS be showing more support for Ninty than originally let on? Seems like it. Thanks MS, we appreciate it.
5) Megaman - Been on more Ninty games and systems than any other 3rd party character, ever. Whether they use the X iteration or the old-school Megaman is up to them. He too appears on Sakurai's suggestions page. Melee attacks would resemble Samus's - and no, i'm not suggesting Samus clone. Specials would be pretty Mega: B-button for Buster arm, and you charge it like a Super Scope - only you can MOVE while charging (obviously it's weaker than an SS, what are you, crazy?), just like in the MM games; Up-B could be the Exit Flash ala Teleport/Faryoe's Wind. unsure of Side/Down-B.
6) Sonic - Smash Bros. is a hallmark, not only of Ninty's greatest characters, but of their greatest accomplishments. Obtaining a rival in Sega was an accomplishment, naturally. What with Sega's neutrality now, it's not outstanding to think Sonic could be allowed. And trust me: Fans would love nothing more than to see Mario and Sonic finally have a chance to do what we've always wanted to see them do since the SNES/Genesis rivalry. Who would win? The pudgy Italian plumber, or the oversized blue rodent? Nintendo has to realize that Sonic's inclusion wouldn't drive as many people away as you guys seem to think.

Because honestly guys, answer me this: If Sonic the Hedgehog was included in the game, would you instantly declare that you were not going to buy the game and then go through with it? No, of course not. It's still the same ol' Smash, just with a few unfamiliar faces. It's not going to have 50% Ninty, 50% 3rd party. We're all merely suggesting...95% Ninty. Let the 3rd parties that make a difference in Ninty's history make a difference in their future too.

Pete278

Smash Lord
I know its really, really, really unlikely but I want to see Albert Wesker in this :p. He'd be so awesome, just using his super strength in melee moves so he wouldn't need to use guns or such.

kaid

Smash Master
Top 5 semi-possible 3rd parties (BK is stretching, but possible)

Snake (konami)
Sonic (sega)
Banjo-Kazooie (Microsoft/Rare)
Megaman
Bomberman (Hudson)

NukeA6

Smash Master
I'd like to see any Final Fantasy character from 1-6 (mostly Terra, Celes, and Shadow).

Gerakobittsu

Smash Cadet
3rd Party characters...

1. Sonic:He'll fit in just fine after playing Sonic Battle. Plus, we need to see a battle in a FD-style level between Sonic, Mario, and...

2. Crash Bandicoot: Again, he'll fit in perfectly, with all of his attacks from the game and whatnot. Imagine Crash Body-Slamming Pikachu, or using his Slide attack on Link. lol

3. Viewtiful Joe: He's been in the Cube first-hand, and he might make a 'viewtiful' style of battling. >_>

4. Megaman: Mainly because he's been requested so much, and he might be a bit similar to Samus. He could have that tornado thing from MvC/MvC2...

Mainly those four. Can't think of any other good characters for SSBB right now.

JPW

Smash Ace
I really don't like the ideas i keep on hearing about a Sonic and Tails duo.
Sure Tails is cool and I went through a whole era of liking Tails over Sonic.(This ended on Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. and before that the cartoons.) I just feel you can't have that classic battle of Mario vs Sonic, with Tails being part of the duo with Sonic. It makes Sonic look weak, and it really doesn't lift his potential. It's like having a Mario and Luigi duo.

I just don't want Tails on my back trying to follow me, when i'm kicking Mario's ***. And Sonic was always better on his own, and he doesn't really need or want that companion at the end of the day. Sonic hates being slowed down. Tails is only going to get on his nerves. And what advantage of Tails is it going to be for if they go ahead with the duo. Besides the helicopter what could Tails do to help Sonic out. At least with Ice Climbers it was understandable with the rope and working together.

I'm sorry I would just rather Sonic on his own. It means more, if Sega really wants Tails to have a part I say make a green hill Stage and have Tails fly around on a helicopter dropping items.

Megaman I support too. And I hope he makes the cut. But i'm worried a different Capcom character could get that spot due to better recognition now. And the non stop Resident Evil stuff coming to Wii.

Grimwolf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Grimwolff
This thread almost seems like it was made only so smash~bomber could increase his post count...

Grimwolf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Grimwolff
The thread was started 05-15-2006, 09:09 AM

I'm sorry I didn't realize how old it was...

Toasty!

Smash Journeyman
I'm sure this has been mentioned, but you do know there will only be 2-3 third party characters (excluding Snake), right?

I want Sonic, with Shadow and Super Sonic Colors.
Megaman
Ralph Wiggum.
No really, I want Weird Al Yankovic. Or Crash Bandicoot. Both work.

Conker1

Smash Ace
Bomberman Bomberman Bomberman.

Bomberman is Hudson's mascot, Bonk is dead.

Once again, screw Megaman.

Falcolegend

Smash Journeyman
Reasons for:
Snake: he's in the official trailer lol
Sonic: World wide fanbase of millions. very different to other smash bros characters
Megaman: same reasons as sonic.

Reasons Against:
Pacman: no interesting abilities. Only popular in his retro 80's form.
Bomberman: again only popular in his retro form, otherwise a mediocre gaming character
sonic & megaman sidekicks: will overpopulate brawl with 3rd party characters. The 3rd party characters should be from different series.

please comment on my reasoning :)

Pomfrod

Smash Apprentice
Id would LOVE....LOVE.... to see Will in SSBB. For those of you who have played Illusion of Gaia for the SNES, you all have to agree and back me up as to why to include him.
Though I'm not too keen on this third-party business, I'd have to agree there. I made a moveset for him shortly after Melee came out, when I thought a ReDead would be a cool addition to the roster. *shudder* I think transformations would make the character too time consuming to balance--Will should spot-transform to execute moves-- for his shield and roll dodges he glows blue as if he is using his internal Shadow. With so many options for special attacks, Will/Freedan/Shadow are my never-gonna-happen pick for the third 3rd-party spot.

Illusion of Gaia only came out on the SNES, and was popular and well-received during its day. It was done by Enix, which now means it is the property of Square-Enix. It's possible, but largely depends on Sakurai. With the series virtually having no future, I doubt it will happen. Though IC's and G&W have no future either, they are Nintendo nostalgia. The same cannot be said for IoG.

DJ Napps

Smash Journeyman
Reasons for:
Snake: he's in the official trailer lol
Sonic: World wide fanbase of millions. very different to other smash bros characters
Megaman: same reasons as sonic.

Reasons Against:
Pacman: no interesting abilities. Only popular in his retro 80's form.
Bomberman: again only popular in his retro form, otherwise a mediocre gaming character
sonic & megaman sidekicks: will overpopulate brawl with 3rd party characters. The 3rd party characters should be from different series.

please comment on my reasoning :)
i will comment. Now, i can understand your reasonings for Sonic and Snake, maybe even Pacman a little.....but my dude Bomberman?!?!?!

"mediocre" Bomberman is popular in his retro, NES form as well as his newer '64 form.

For you to base his "mediocrity" on his popularity is ridiculous too.
Characters like Mr. G&W and Ice Climbers were basically unknown until SSB and they became some of the most popular and most fun-to-play characters of the game for some people.

Plz comment on my reasoning.....

Vali

Smash Ace
Characters like Mr. G&W and Ice Climbers were basically unknown until SSB and they became some of the most popular and most fun-to-play characters of the game for some people.

Plz comment on my reasoning.....
Yeah...completely unknown...like Pit eh?

Jossy

Smash Apprentice
the game Bonk was also released for the NES
and his 2nd game is now also available on the virtual console.

im pretty much in favor for Bonk in SSBB because he is a kick-*** character, and its a kick *** game.

Sonic80

Smash Rookie
Snake
Sonic
Knuckles
Pac-Man for laughs

I don't see tails as a fighting game character for some reason, maybe he can help out in some way.

vesperview

Smash Hero
Third Party Characters I Would Like:

Sora: He's the only recent Square-Enix character with a title of his own, Chain Of Memories, for the GBA, if not Sora another square character that could make the cut could be Chrono.

Sonic: Duh! I think he's a give away by this point.

Megaman: He's pretty much Capcom's iconic character, if they were to put in a Capcom character this one is the perfect choice.

I think the problem with choosing third party characters is that most companies have made awesome games on consoles like the PS2, so choosing characters like Cloud or Dante from Devil May Cry is pretty much useless.

Top Bottom