• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To those of you that have slow fingers:

Lesheik

Smash Lord
Okay. First of all, I've been seeing lots of people talking about that they can't use Fox or Falco because they don't have fast finger movements, so I decided to put up and topic to help promote fast fingers.. This is what you can do:

Typing - I noticed that a lot of my friends that don't have fast fingers type really slow. It's not that they can't remember where words are at, or their finger-positioning, but they can't tap keys for crap! Go on the computer more, IM more, and your fingers will turn into fast-action-pwnage.

Tapping - Have you ever been bored? Want to learn a way to do something fun, and promote fast finger movements!? Now you can. All you need to do is tap your fingers on a surface. This will increase your finger movement by a lot! So if you're bored, and your finger movement's poor, try tapping more!!

Pratice tapping buttons - Just praticing one finger at a time on your Gamecube controller. You'll see results before Brawl comes out.

Tips:

Keep your fingers close to the Gamecube controller - I've been watching a lot of people playing SSBM, and I noticed that some players make their fingers far away from the buttons. Doing that requires more force and more energy to press the buttons, so it'll tire your fingers out.

Don't press too hard - The more force you put on your controller, the more tired and weak your fingers will get... Tap the buttons gently enough for the Gamecube controller to read the command, and your fingers won't get tired at all.

I do all of these things and it makes my fingers a lot faster, so take my advice and go try out Fox or Falco... Fox's double-laser is all about timing.. if you can wavedash, you can double-laser.. You just need the timing perfect to execute the double-laser. With wavedashing it lets you slide even if you didn't "perfect wavedash." Double-laser needs perfect timing always!

Good luck,

Lesheik

ThatGuy

Smash Master
You could also throw in that you can try holding the controller unconventionally to have better timing and control (I use my index for buttons, middle for Z, and thumb for C-stick, always. I never use R, it's useless :p). Of course my grip actually makes playing space animals harder as it helps to slide the thumb across a lot, something you can't do with a finger...so suggest using all your fingers! lol

EDIT: Oh yeah, play Stepmania lol

Lesheik

Smash Lord
You could also throw in that you can try holding the controller unconventionally to have better timing and control (I use my index for buttons, middle for Z, and thumb for C-stick, always. I never use R, it's useless :p). Of course my grip actually makes playing space animals harder as it helps to slide the thumb across a lot, something you can't do with a finger...so suggest using all your fingers! lol

EDIT: Oh yeah, play Stepmania lol
Good positioning.
I use my thumb for all the buttons except with the R and L triggers I use my index.

Stepmania also promotes fast fingers, and rhythm! :D

Pose

Smash Apprentice
Thanks as I find Fox hard to play with. Going to test this out to see if this works. Lol, I can type fast lol 3000 per second so let's hope this works out lol.

MaskedMarth

Smash Ace
I have a semi-related question.

What if I think slowly?

I don't mean that as self-deprecation or a joke. If I do say so myself, I think well. I just can't think fast enough to regulate my play with fast characters. My fingers can handle Fox, but he turns into a mushy mess of pointless shffl's. My Captain Falcon is absolutely terrible unless I'm on my A game. Should I just switch characters?

I was thinking of switching mains to Marth or Link (or both), because they seem to be much laid-back and relaxed. They're largely based on maneuvering instead of close-game, so their games are much slower, more to my pace.

petre

Smash Lord
closest to Sterling Heights, MI on your wii foreca

What if I think slowly?

I don't mean that as self-deprecation or a joke. If I do say so myself, I think well. I just can't think fast enough to regulate my play with fast characters. My fingers can handle Fox, but he turns into a mushy mess of pointless shffl's. My Captain Falcon is absolutely terrible unless I'm on my A game. Should I just switch characters?
i feel like im that same way. whenever i try to use someone like fox i look really slow because im always stopping between attacks to think. getting something as simple as a uthrow>uair is almost luck for me, because i dont react fast enough to which way they di...so i play with slower characters (ganon, jiggy) and seem to do alot better with them, mostly cause i get the time i need to think about what im going to do.

Spoon Man

Smash Apprentice
something you could do to help improve quick thinking would be doing stuff like multiple choice problem solving with a set time limit. It actually does help you think on your feet quicker, and it isn't that hard to get say a SAT study book or something from a bookstore just to do those.

Sky2042

Smash Apprentice
Play a violin.

>.>

<.<

I'm serious. Start playing an instrument if you're a slow thinker. Once you get to the 120+ bpm songs (or songs with a -lot- of fast notes), thinking quickly becomes easier. ;p

I should pick up Fox, now that I think on it...

Sushiman

Smash Journeyman
Learn how to play the piano. Therre may not be progress right off the bat, but in the long run, you'll think faster and have fast fingers.

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
If you think slowly, you most likely do not know how the moves work. So, the more you play with a certaim character, the more you know what to do in a certain situation, and the better your combos become, also, watch goood players like bombsoldier, I thought the shine had limits =p

Aeramis

Smash Ace
Rythem and Grace FTW!
Play melee with techno/trance/club like Infected Mushroom or DJ Tiesto ect.

RPK

Smash Lord
Yeah I agree, play Step Mania, play a string type instrument. Preferably the guitar :p And on the go, when you dont have step mania avaliable, try out flashflashrevolution.com. Same thing as StepMania except it isnt as good because of the graphics and timing is a little different. But that doesnt matter lol, try it out if you cant download stepmania or access it at the time. Like when Im at school :p

ºOblivionº

Smash Journeyman
something you could do to help improve quick thinking would be doing stuff like multiple choice problem solving with a set time limit. It actually does help you think on your feet quicker, and it isn't that hard to get say a SAT study book or something from a bookstore just to do those.
Hey I like how you colored your text to match your avatar. * Copies *

Also playing tic tac toe helps.

Lesheik

Smash Lord

What if I think slowly?

I was thinking of switching mains to Marth or Link (or both), because they seem to be much laid-back and relaxed. They're largely based on maneuvering instead of close-game, so their games are much slower, more to my pace.
Practice one step at a time, and the more you practice the more your brain will do the work. Start slowly, don't do just any movement or your brain will be clogged with errors.

Foxman15

Smash Journeyman
I think you have good theories and tips, however, my advice to those who complain thay have too slow of fingering to use certain characters is to just PLAY MELEE! Your fingers will adapt and get more used to the controller layout, therefore gradually increasing your finger speed and overall melee ability.

Lesheik

Smash Lord
I think you have good theories and tips, however, my advice to those who complain thay have too slow of fingering to use certain characters is to just PLAY MELEE! Your fingers will adapt and get more used to the controller layout, therefore gradually increasing your finger speed and overall melee ability.
Great tip. ;)

Ijuka

Smash Ace
Umm.. my right thumb is like a cm above the buttons.. and I always smash the controller hard and "whip" it all the time and stuff.. and I don't get tired after 15 hours of that. And I am extremely technical as well. So I guess it's just personal. <_<

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Play a little Devil May Cry 3. If that won't get your fingers fast, I don't know what will.

McCloudDash91

Smash Cadet
Yes, I've been playing FlashFlash Revolution for about 3~ years now. I gotta say, its helped my game unimaginably. To the point where none of my friends will vs. me anymore. Only on teams against me :p

Ah, buncha quitters...not battling someone isnt gonna help beat them, right? meh..

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
Listen to Kill the Music- Every Time I Die... hehe idk it makes me play faster... i can type fast but like other people said i can't think quick enough so its just pointless movements haha

Tsukuyomi

Smash Journeyman
If my fingers aren't what they are used to be I just use slower characters and work my way up to the faster ones...

Tsu's Character Lineup (Starting slow and working up)
1. Bowser (Known as the slowest character in the game, but I like him because of its plentiful game tactics and mindgames...)
2. Pichu (Quick little critter who moves pretty fast on land...)
3. Peach (Not as fast in movements, but she has great maneuvering)
4. Roy (Quick and fast... I just love his short hop...)
5. Falco (Using the warm-up from above and now ready to use him)
6. Fox (I don't really use this character, but I just like running off the edge and shining people... :p)

McCloudDash91

Smash Cadet
dont even say "stereotyping". Im not saying it to be mean or to sound stupid, but you know that asians as a race are fast. Think about any asian you know, and there's at least one thing that he's fast at.
besides, my best friend who's asian even agrees with me :p

Mr. Derp

Smash Apprentice
FORMALLY: Ryu777 ...OLD POST COUNT: around 500
for button mashing I dont move my thumb up and down, I do this wierd vibrate thingy, where I tighten my arm and thumb wiggles enough that the game thinks I am quikly touching and letting go of the b-button. I've only done the full luigi cyclone once though, and in trying to do it my arm started to hurt from tightening it :p

McCloudDash91

Smash Cadet
Same here. When i try to recover with Doc Mario's tornado, i just vibrate my thumb by tightening my bicep. It usually works good the first few times, then my arm gets tired and i just go down :laugh:

mark.

Smash Journeyman
^umm, ok. you wanna play some time? jk lol

im asian, and my fingers are fast, i know asians whos fingers arent fast.
my tip? practice samus.

but for fast thinking, get a rubiks cube, learn how to solve it (its really not that hard, just check the site) and play with it. if that doesnt work, then you have the fastest mind ever.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
If you want to get faster reaction, play Brain Age! :chuckle: It's all in the head, guys.
When I read the part about pressing the button lightly, I thought of my friend who hits every button way too hard. Some people need to chill, but I guess he must have built a sort of stamina that way. But my kind of stamina is tapping the button fast for long periods of time. Last time I checked, my speed was 15x per second. I'll have to check again on that one Mario Party game...

Wait that's it! The one game that contributed to my tapping skills and other reactions since before Smash was Mario Party, so everyone, play Mario Party! Oh, but please play the 64 versions if you can, 'cause they actually don't suck.

Lesheik

Smash Lord
dont even say "stereotyping". Im not saying it to be mean or to sound stupid, but you know that asians as a race are fast. Think about any asian you know, and there's at least one thing that he's fast at.
besides, my best friend who's asian even agrees with me :p
It's their culture, not their natural-intelligence.

I bet you if an asian was raised by an average all-black-american-family, the asian won't be smart, because the average black-american family doesn't give a **** about their kid's education. I know because I'm black.

Asian's culture is that their family forces them to study and work hard in school. Other races don't seem to care about that, such as blacks, whites, and latinos. I'm talking in general here.

Top Bottom