• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To rumble or not to rumble..

Laijin

Smash Hero
Lots of people prefer not to play without rumble, others dont really care.
My question is does rumble actually effect your gameplay?
What are the benefits of playing with no rumble?

blaargh198

Smash Apprentice
I need the rumble, if it's deactivated I find it harder to know when an attack will end, it just helps me out just as much as, say sound effects.

purekorea

Smash Journeyman
I used to use rumble then I went to a tournament and noticed alot of people didn't use it. So I tried to give no rumble a shot and ever since it feels weird to have rumble. It feels as if I have less control over my character.

Toomai

Smash Ace
I like rumble because, as others have said, it gives a third sense to the player (sight, sound, and shake). (Man was that inspired.)

However, you really need to make that decision early, because I find it extremely affects your game when you switch from one to the other.

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I don't like the rumble because I find that it messes me up. This is why I use my Wavebird to play.

Giggidax

Smash Ace
hmm i tried playing without the rumble and i felt like i was "empty" inside or something lol. the rumble just feels right for me i guess, without the rumble it jus doesnt feel the same. most likely because ive been playing with rumble ever since the beginning

Superstar

Smash Champion
I've gotten so used to rumble, I do not really notice it.

But maybe that's because in the past, my control was crap [even when neutral, it would unneutralize the stick durring gameplay. When you fix it, one flick messes it up again]. Another annoying part was that the Runble sometimes did not work, so I learned not to mind either way.

vericz

Smash Champion
I play halo 2 with out rumble and smash without rumble. I have gotten used to not having my hands shake. To me i can see and hear when I get hit and dont need extra feeling in my hands to know.

drummer_kid

Smash Cadet
i play with rumble, gives me the satisfaction for landing moves like the knee, the doc punch and other smashes

pdk

Smash Lord
yeah guys, input lag totally doesn't do as much harm as rumble

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I turned off the rumble yesterday to see how I played without it. I didn't like it. It did feel empty like most people here said. Rumble's like a 6th sense to help me in Smash. I rely most of my timing on rumble. Like Falco's dair for example. It rumbles harder if you hit someone. Feeling that rumble, it tells my mind to shine or continue the combo. But if I miss the dair, I know to react accordingly since I didn't hit my opponent.

I also like the rumbling according to your character movement like when you run or walk. It immerses you in the game. Just pick Ganondorf and run. It's awesome. It even slightly rumbles when light people like Game & Watch walk. It's a very nice touch.

i play with rumble, gives me the satisfaction for landing moves like the knee, the doc punch and other smashes
Very true, very true. :chuckle: It makes Zelda's fair/bair that much satisfying, especially when you get a kill with it. It gives that extra "oomph"

Yoru

Smash Apprentice
I play w/ rumble. I don't really care, but I'm comfoartable with it. If your a sesitive Fox player, I can see why no rumble helps. But honestly, it doesn't really matter to me.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
I rumble, but I tend to forget that it's on when I'm focusing on a match. Then it always rumbles violently when the match is over like it's saying "I'm still here!". Having the game without any rumble at all wouldn't feel right. I went a number of months without it, only to realize that I'm missing out on that immersing detail.

Uck

Smash Journeyman
Rumble ofcourse because it makes the game alot more fun and you feel more involved.
You also get use to the rumble and intergrate it with timing.

To answer your real question theres no diffrence between the two whatsoever as far as ganing an advantage in melee.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I kinda got the best of both worlds. I cosmetically altered my controller and inadvertently reduced the power to the rumble. I don't know how, but it feels less powerful... wierd. I do like how much more comfortable it was. I thought that this meant that I should turn it all the way off, but it was just strange getting a charge shot ready without any force feedback.

Joner

Smash Cadet
In most fighting games, I don't stand the rumble. Try landing a big combo in Street Fighter 3 with rumble on =/
But in Smash the rumble ain't that violent, so I really don't care.

Front Smash King

Smash Rookie
Yah i agree, the Rumble in Smash is very mild, i like it cause it lets me know when i need to start playing a lil' more cauciouslly, and start comboing every chance XD

Tristan_win

Not dead.
I’ve chosen not to have the rumble that way you don't have the physical concentration of being hit and that leaves your mind open for betting things to think about such as DIing.

Top Bottom