• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To Poltergust or not to Poltergust. That is the question. Luigi's moveset's possible changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I don't want the Poltergust to replace any of Luigi's current specials. No thanks.

But a Final Smash or a ranged grab on the other hand....:awesome:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It makes the most sense as a down special. If Sakurai doesn't give Luigi the Poltergust in this game then I don't even know what to say. Mario having FLUDD (Which he used in one game) and Luigi not having Poltergust (Which he's had in two games now, two of the only games in which he is the sole main character) is and would be utterly moronic.

Let us also not forget that Luigi has used Poltergust in multiple side games; it was a car in Mario Kart DS, a useful defensive special in Mario Power Tennis, etc.

Luigi's Mansion is a huge deal for the character, whilst Super Mario Sunshine doesn't seem to have the same level of importance to Mario.

I have to second that this is an idiotic move on Sakurai's part and certainly doesn't bode well for anyone who wants the vetrens to have revised movesets(Ganondorf fans, Toad supporters such as myself whose only real obstacle is that Peach's B move is Toad and not Toadsworth). Olimar gets no new Pikmin, Luigi gets no new Poltergust.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
i just noticed that people think that Luigi with the Poltergust would be a clone move if it was the Down Special.........why?

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
I have to second that this is an idiotic move on Sakurai's part and certainly doesn't bode well for anyone who wants the vetrens to have revised movesets
I said it WOULD be moronic. We still don't know if he has it or not. We haven't seen him use his down special yet or his Final Smash. Besides, look at what he did to Bowser, a character that people haven't necessarily asked to be changed when it comes to moves.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
I said it WOULD be moronic. We still don't know if he has it or not. We haven't seen him use his down special yet or his Final Smash. Besides, look at what he did to Bowser, a character that people haven't necessarily asked to be changed when it comes to moves.
I sure hope you're right, but the cynic in me is eating away at that hope. I'm wondering why he wouldn't want to show off what's new with the characters though if that is the case. More people would be pumped to know Luigi has a new move that incorporates his own game series than if he can pull terrified facial experessions. At least I'd presume.

Also surely any Mario Bros. fan wanted Bowser to be less slow, clunky and low priority?

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
I see no reason to why completely change his moveset when he almost has a complete unique moveset. Luigi doesn't suck either, so no reason to change his moveset. I bet his final Smash will be the vacuum

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
Also surely any Mario Bros. fan wanted Bowser to be less slow, clunky and low priority?
There's a difference between making a character better and changing their moves. Most people would have been satisfied with Sakurai making Bowser less slow, clunky and low priority, but on top of that he gave Bowser an awesome makeover.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
I see no reason to why completely change his moveset when he almost has a complete unique moveset. Luigi doesn't suck either, so no reason to change his moveset. I bet his final Smash will be the vacuum
He doesn't suck, but he's a semiclone. He NEEDS uniqueness!

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Suggestion, new down special and down smash

Down Special is like the Luigi Cyclone, but with the poltergust. Luigi spins and sucks everything towards him, making trapping enemies easier. This move can also move items toward you like Gale Wind Boomerang.

Down Smash is now a strobe move in which the longer you hold it, the more stun it has on the enemy. Works very well with his up b.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Suggestion, new down special and down smash

Down Special is like the Luigi Cyclone, but with the poltergust. Luigi spins and sucks everything towards him, making trapping enemies easier. This move can also move items toward you like Gale Wind Boomerang.

Down Smash is now a strobe move in which the longer you hold it, the more stun it has on the enemy. Works very well with his up b.
How would the Strobe Light work? Down Smashes usually hit on both sides, with the exception of Lucas's

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
How would the Strobe Light work? Down Smashes usually hit on both sides, with the exception of Lucas's
The strobulb will only hit forward, however it can stun targets for a period of time. The longer you charge the smash (like in LM:DM) the more powerful the stun is.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
The strobulb will only hit forward, however it can stun targets for a period of time. The longer you charge the smash (like in LM:DM) the more powerful the stun is.
Seems more like a Special Move tbh and we all know how grim different specials look like now. Maybe as a Poltergust+Strobe Light Combo for a Final Smash?

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Seems more like a Special Move tbh and we all know how grim different specials look like now. Maybe as a Poltergust+Strobe Light Combo for a Final Smash?
Well they are redoing the fundamentals of specials and normals. Like Megaman's jab and f-tilt looked like the neutral special before we noticed.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Well they are redoing the fundamentals of specials and normals. Like Megaman's jab and f-tilt looked like the neutral special before we noticed.
True but Luigi isn't looking much different :/ who knows, maybe he is different and Sakurai is holding back on us!

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
True but Luigi isn't looking much different :/ who knows, maybe he is different and Sakurai is holding back on us!
I just hope that they keep the trend of making Luigi feel even more unique than mario over time. In the Original Smash he was basically a clone. In Melee he had a side special that was completely different than Mario's. And in Brawl Luigi kept his down special while mario did not.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
I just hope that they keep the trend of making Luigi feel even more unique than mario over time. In the Original Smash he was basically a clone. In Melee he had a side special that was completely different than Mario's. And in Brawl Luigi kept his down special while mario did not.
Hopefully the moves shown to be cloned so far are the ONLY moves that are cloned!

D

Deleted member

Ahh, like Zero Suit Samus' down smash? That would be very cool in my opinion.

GmanSir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GmanSir
But he needs the fireball. The fireballs are too iconic for him to not have it.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
he does have the fire balls.

to make luigi less cloney, he needs to replace his up special, d smash, u smash, u air, b air, and n special.

they can change his up special to the cyclone, leaving the down special to be the poltergust. as for the rest of his moves, i have no more knowledge of any luigi games that i could pull from to revamp his moveset.

D

Deleted member

to make luigi less cloney, he needs to replace his up special, d smash, u smash, u air, b air, and n special.

they can change his up special to the cyclone, leaving the down special to be the poltergust. as for the rest of his moves, i have no more knowledge of any luigi games that i could pull from to revamp his moveset.
Mario and Luigi are brothers, so I do expect him to have some moves similar to Mario. However, Luigi is unique in a way by how he controls. As a person who mains Luigi, I can honestly say that I am amazing with Luigi but I am terrible with Mario. Also, changing the Super Jump Punch isn't a good idea in my opinion.

Hong

The Strongest

The super jump punch MUST stay the same. It is up there with Rest as one of the most iconic kill moves in Smash Bros history. Also, Luigi favours aerial combat over his brother, and it can act as a suitable finisher for many of his combos. It also provides him a much needed out-of-shield option while he is locked down on the ground.

Luigi could do to be more unique, but we change things where it makes sense instead of just trying to satisfy an arbitrary quota. While their moves look the same, Luigi and Mario handle very differently as characters due to the strong contrast in properties. For what we change, we change it in respect to the existing (and very EFFECTIVE) character design.

Bajef8

Smash Ace

Of course they'll appear to be similar, that's like saying why does Toon Link's moves look so similar to Link's? Luigi has already been made unique enough to not be called a "clone" anyway.

Luigi is good as is. If they wanna work Poltergust in, fine by me. He doesn't need some massive overhaul.

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Of course they'll appear to be similar, that's like saying why does Toon Link's moves look so similar to Link's? Luigi has already been made unique enough to not be called a "clone" anyway.

Luigi is good as is. If they wanna work Poltergust in, fine by me. He doesn't need some massive overhaul.
The difference is that Toon Link didn't have to be a clone and same goes for Luigi. Only Luigi is not just a different incarnation of Mario, he's unique in his own way

D

Deleted member

Yes, it should happen. Luigi should have something in his movepool to reference the Luigi's Mansion games.

As for general Luigi changes, I liked him in Melee and Brawl, but I'd like for him to have a projectile that doesn't suck.
Too bad that the Fireball is still in the game. They should at least buff it by giving it more distance or something. It was pretty pathetic in Brawl.

Bajef8

Smash Ace
Honestly if they just gave the fireball a speed boost when it travels, I think that'd solve the problem. It moves horribly slow.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I personally want the Poltergust to be used in his Final Smash.

He could ride it around like int he PAL version of the Hidden Mansion's Boolossus battle, and is invulnerable to damage while on it.

He'll release a swarm of Boos that fly to the top of the screen and start swooping down on players, dealing little knockback, but racking up damage very quickly, and at the end the Boos use an attack like they do in the Paper Mario RPGs, stunning everyone who doesn't dodge at the right time, leaving them easy K.Os for Luigi. It lasts slightly longer than Dedede's Final Smash in Brawl.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I personally want the Poltergust to be used in his Final Smash.

He could ride it around like int he PAL version of the Hidden Mansion's Boolossus battle, and is invulnerable to damage while on it.

He'll release a swarm of Boos that fly to the top of the screen and start swooping down on players, dealing little knockback, but racking up damage very quickly, and at the end the Boos use an attack like they do in the Paper Mario RPGs, stunning everyone who doesn't dodge at the right time, leaving them easy K.Os for Luigi. It lasts slightly longer than Dedede's Final Smash in Brawl.

I think that they will use something with Mario & Luigi Dream Team, instead of Poltergust. We still haven't seen any of Luigi's specials aside from FireBall and Green Missile.

| Kailex |

I smell like salty coins and milk
NNID
pootis
3DS FC
2578-3225-2678
http://i.imgur.com/6exA4Ew.jpg
You could see his polterghust, just zoom in the pic to his head, underneath his head.
Im a winner

EDIT: it looks like his hair with a reddish outline... Im just embarrassing myself here

L∈O

Smash Journeyman
If you guys want Luigi to have the Poltergust, pray for the developers put it as a grab...

First of all, it would raise his grab range...

Second: replace the Cyclone would make his recovery and his ground game worse...

Really simple...

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
If you guys want Luigi to have the Poltergust, pray for the developers put it as a grab...

First of all, it would raise his grab range...

Second: replace the Cyclone would make his recovery and his ground game worse...

Really simple...

He could even suck up the enemy like Yoshi's grab and kick the bag the character is in. Dust could even come out. Maybe the Poltergust could even function as a tether? That's wishful thinking, though

L∈O

Smash Journeyman
He could even suck up the enemy like Yoshi's grab and kick the bag the character is in. Dust could even come out. Maybe the Poltergust could even function as a tether? That's wishful thinking, though
Tethers aren't good options, they're very risky...

They're easily edgehogged and even if you grab the ledge, you can get hit before pressing up, which usually will make you lose a stock...

You never saw Olimar, Zero Suit Samus, Samus, Link or Toon Link getting hit while they do this?

Another thing: Luigi has a hard time doing OoS stuff like Shield Grab or punishing because his low traction pushes him backwards considerably...

Having the Poltergust as a grab would at least make the Shield Grab easier, as it's range would be bigger...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom