• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

To Poltergust or not to Poltergust. That is the question. Luigi's moveset's possible changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Excuse the fail thread name.

Do you guys think they'll change up some of Luigi's moves?

Like having a new special attack using the Poltergust or some M&L moves?

UPDATE: Poltergust 5000 is now a final smash.

Last edited:

xzx

Smash Lord
I hope Luigi will have his Poltergust 3000 as a Final Smash instead of his Negative Zone.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077

Pretty sure that's the thing he does before luigi missile or whatever it's called. so no poltergust side B.
too bad...

Hong

The Strongest
I don't think they will replace the super jump punch, and his fireball is still here. If there would be anywhere it would be, it would be his down special, so stay tuned.

xzx

Smash Lord
Maybe it's a taunt since Mario is taunting? Besides, his Poltergust 3000 may be his new Final Smash. I also think that Luigi will have new moves from the Mario & Luigi universe, most likely from Dream Team Bros.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
It makes the most sense as a down special. If Sakurai doesn't give Luigi the Poltergust in this game then I don't even know what to say. Mario having FLUDD (Which he used in one game) and Luigi not having Poltergust (Which he's had in two games now, two of the only games in which he is the sole main character) is and would be utterly moronic.

GaiusK

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5086-1306-5225
The least they could do is to change his final smash. I'd like the poltergust to be one his special moves, I don't know how it would work in my mind, but that's something. I would be awesome if his final smash would be something DreamTeam-Related, I haven't played the game yet since it hasn't been released in America yet (And i'm in South America, so that's even worse), but maybe Luigi or his opponents start sleeping, and his dream Luigi clones start attaking Dedede-style (But better).

xzx

Smash Lord
Think of it. He can suck in items with his Poltergust and then shoot out projectiles with it. =D

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Okey regarding the Poltergust, I believe that;
1. It's down B, like Mario used Fludd in Brawl...
2. It could be the new Final Smash, Sucking the opponents inn and blast them off screen...
3. Luigi once again will not use Poltergust even tho it's "Year of the Luigi"

Luigi player

Smash Master
Well, not ridiculous, just he has a lot of options. Side B, Up B, and Down b gives him great vertical and horizontal recovery.
And they all suck.
His recovery is great in terms of distance, but while recoverying he is very vulnerable and it's really easy for his opponent to interrupt him and probably end up gimping him (especially in case of Metaknight...).

He definitely needs some sort of change to make it a little better. Although Link needed that too, and his recovery still looks really bad... it's kinda sad really.

kiteinthesky

Smash Ace
I honestly get the feeling Luigi'll largely be the same as he was in Brawl (including that stupid Negative Zone final smash) and I'll be greatly disappointed.

My enthusiasm for this game is waning.

GaiusK

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5086-1306-5225
And they all suck.
His recovery is great in terms of distance, but while recoverying he is very vulnerable and it's really easy for his opponent to interrupt him and probably end up gimping him (especially in case of Metaknight...).

He definitely needs some sort of change to make it a little better. Although Link needed that too, and his recovery still looks really bad... it's kinda sad really.
Link's recovery looks better than brawl, at least, and you could always use a well-timed bomb to help you.
But Luigi-wise, his up-b is a straight vertical recovery, and it's to balance its super power. His side-b is a well-enough horizontal recovery, and it also helps while battling. Luigi as he is, is pretty good, but he can be way better.

BlitznBurst

Smash Ace
To me, his ideal Final Smash would be releasing a load of ghosts onto the battlefield, but since the poltergust makes more sense as his down-B anyway, it's probably gonna be something Dream Team related.

This is the year of Luigi, and him being a starter character can also be to celebrate that, so I'd be surprised if they don't give him any moves from Dream Team and Luigi's mansion, if not giving him a total overhaul to represent those moves. But why bother with this update if you aren't going to show us them? Why announce a character that's already a given to be in the game and not reveal anything new about him? Character reveals are supposed to hype you up for the game and make you want to know more. "Oh, Luigi is in the game" is hardly a reveal designed to make fans celebrate. The only thing of interest at all is that he seems to be a starter character this time around.

GaiusK

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5086-1306-5225
To me, his ideal Final Smash would be releasing a load of ghosts onto the battlefield, but since the poltergust makes more sense as his down-B anyway, it's probably gonna be something Dream Team related.

This is the year of Luigi, and him being a starter character can also be to celebrate that, so I'd be surprised if they don't give him any moves from Dream Team and Luigi's mansion, if not giving him a total overhaul to represent those moves. But why bother with this update if you aren't going to show us them? Why announce a character that's already a given to be in the game and not reveal anything new about him? Character reveals are supposed to hype you up for the game and make you want to know more. "Oh, Luigi is in the game" is hardly a reveal designed to make fans celebrate. The only thing of interest at all is that he seems to be a starter character this time around.
Maybe we just have to wait.
Not a thing has been said since Pikmin and Olimar release, and a lot of speculation around a possible moveset change and the number of pikmins still hasn't been lifted. At this rate, we would have to wait until the game's release to see if there are any changes, but maybe a future video will show changes made to the veterans. I think we'll get the first one, because if any change had been made to them, it would have gotten more importance (See Bowser and Pit).

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Well this Nintendo Direct was disappointing Smash-wise for Luigi's moveset just like how Olimar looks the same. If they decide to make most veterans the same I will be very underwhelmed

GaiusK

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5086-1306-5225
Olimar may have some minor changes, but Luigi being a Semi-clone of Mario wouldn't fit the uniqueness Sakurai wants to achieve with this game. Or maybe for him classic beats unique. I wouldn't have a problem with Luigi and Olimar, but if Jigglypuff isn't changed, well..

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
Olimar may have some minor changes, but Luigi being a Semi-clone of Mario wouldn't fit the uniqueness Sakurai wants to achieve with this game. Or maybe for him classic beats unique. I wouldn't have a problem with Luigi and Olimar, but if Jigglypuff isn't changed, well..
I kinda expected Rock and Winged Pikmin for Olimar and a Flutter Jump and Poltergust for Luigi though :(

GaiusK

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5086-1306-5225
I kinda expected Rock and Winged Pikmin for Olimar and a Flutter Jump and Poltergust for Luigi though :(
I remember in Mario & Luigi: Superstar saga how Professor E. Gadd had this poltergust that could fly. The poltergust Luigi has in Dark Moon is even better than that one, so... A flying Luigi on his poltergust that shoots lasers for a Final Smash, anyone?

SpaceJell0

Smash Ace
NNID
SpaceJell0
3DS FC
0104-0342-5999
I remember in Mario & Luigi: Superstar saga how Professor E. Gadd had this poltergust that could fly. The poltergust Luigi has in Dark Moon is even better than that one, so... A flying Luigi on his poltergust that shoots lasers for a Final Smash, anyone?
Poltergust recovery moves would make up for his weird special recoveries, that'd be nice :)

D

Deleted member

I personally think that his moveset is fine as it is, but the Poltergust 5000 should be a grabbing move rather than a special move. While you gain crazy height with the Luigi Cyclone, they could nerf it to make it so that Luigi doesn't gain as much height in the air. (I just hope it's not it's Melee counterpart; using that thing to recover is impossible for me)

Then again, who knows what they have been doing with Luigi? They've barely shown info of him. I really want to see the Poltergust in action if we can't have the Thunderhand.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
I like the idea of it being used for grabs.

But it will probably be his new final smash. Though, I actually did like negative zone. It was absurd.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Hopefully tomorrows update will shed some lite on this issue.

BSP

Smash Legend
Why so much hate for the NG? The thing is broken.

Luigi's recovery isn't that great. Once you know how to fight against him properly, you can jump out and interrupt him safely and easily.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I hope he gets his vacuum, I want him to be more different than Mario. I see he still has his green fireball, but it looks pretty sweet.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
i want the poltergust.
it makes more sense to use it as a down special to mirror marios fludd.
and it would work similar to kirby's inhale ability.

Nintendotard

Smash Lord
NNID
Mariotard
I was hoping his Smash moves would incorporate his vaccuum, such as his Side Smash having his vaccuum accidentally release a ghost that spooks the opponent in front of them and have Luigi suck them back quickly...but I think I saw a picture where his side Smash is still that weird chop...

A Vacuum? No thanks. Luigi's move set is fine as it is, it reflects his character well. This idea that smash character attacks must be canonized to newer games is a bit odd. Smash Bros doesn't need to make sense. Besides, replacing Luigi's Tornado with a vacuum (poltergeist) is essentially doing the same thing they did to Mario. Making him less of a clone would make him more of one in a sense...sort of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom