• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

to Making THP's (Brawl's movie files)

Nerd With An Afro

Smash Journeyman
I keep trying to convert the audio to .wav and when super does it the icon of the file says was on it but the extension is .wmv so it doesn't work does anyone know whats wrong?
Yeah, there may be 2 extensions on your file

The first one is the .WMV. that is the one that you can delete, because it doesn't do anything.

The second one is .wav. this is the actually file extension, and should be hidden.

By removing .WMV from the name, that should fix the problem.

ChuteTheMessenger

Village's Strongest Hitman
Yeah, there may be 2 extensions on your file

The first one is the .WMV. that is the one that you can delete, because it doesn't do anything.

The second one is .wav. this is the actually file extension, and should be hidden.

By removing .WMV from the name, that should fix the problem.
And if you can't see the .wmv or .wav, do this:
Go to your folder options (Start>Folder options in Vista, may be somewhere else on xp or 7)
Go to the "View" tab.
Uncheck "Hide file extensions for known file types" and then apply the change

Michi

Smash Apprentice
Did you make this?:
xmanfit0 said:
Select "WAV (Audio Only)" from the Output Container tab on the top left. The settings here don't really matter too much, just select 2 channels and 44100 hz from the options below. It is important, however, that in the Output Audio Codec tab on the top right you must select "WAV-(pcm 16 little-endian)"

Michi

Smash Apprentice
oh wtf. No, but there were a post before me who had problems with converting the file to .wav.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
BTW, in your guide instructions, you still haven't specified that "-d" needs to precede the output file's name. It's in the picture, but not in the written instructions.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
Does anyone know of a good program that will convert from THP into common formats? I've only gotten it to work with SUPER and SUPER doesn't support 59.94 fps. The closest I can get is 60 and the resultant file is therefore shorter than the source file.

Edit: BTW, important to note: I don't know if this applies to all videos or just the opening sequence, but converting it in SUPER using "NoChange" for resolution gives me a file with a resolution of 640x464, which I assume is the resolution for PAL videos/the PAL opening.

ChuteTheMessenger

Does anyone know of a good program that will convert from THP into common formats? I've only gotten it to work with SUPER and SUPER doesn't support 59.94 fps. The closest I can get is 60 and the resultant file is therefore shorter than the source file.

Edit: BTW, important to note: I don't know if this applies to all videos or just the opening sequence, but converting it in SUPER using "NoChange" for resolution gives me a file with a resolution of 640x464, which I assume is the resolution for PAL videos/the PAL opening.
Mm. Noted and added to OP. Besides SUPER, I don't know of any program that can convert from THP. You can try a program that automatically tries to detect video and audio and convert into a known file format; I think that's how SUPER works. Your best bet would perhaps be to get a screen recording program and record your screen while it's playing the THP with THPPlay.

And I did specify -d as "-d [filename here].thp"

msaman2110

Smash Rookie
D'oh!
For some reason I can't get anything to work.
Let me review what I did
SD Card
Riivolution
Smash Eater 2 (Awesome btw)
SD/private/wii/app/RSBE/pf/movie/OPmovie.thp
for some reason it still doesnt work and I cant get it to.
Everytime it just says "Failed (-2)"
PLEASE HELP!
(i'm a noob at replacing videos btw)

ChuteTheMessenger

D'oh!
For some reason I can't get anything to work.
Let me review what I did
SD Card
Riivolution
Smash Eater 2 (Awesome btw)
SD/private/wii/app/RSBE/pf/movie/OPmovie.thp
for some reason it still doesnt work and I cant get it to.
Everytime it just says "Failed (-2)"
PLEASE HELP!
(i'm a noob at replacing videos btw)
Perhaps you have set up your riivolution or file path incorrectly? I don't use Riivolution, so I have no idea how it works. You'd best ask at the Riivo help thread

[FBC] Papa Mink

Smash Legend
NNID
PapaMink
So. I can't get any of this to work. Not the software, or anything. I've downloaded my file and everything. I'm usually pretty good ont he cpu. Idk. i can't figure it out...

If anyone feels up to helping me out and making it for me... here'es the video i want...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyOSx62c2Ic
I understand that the video is over 1:59. But i'm willing to have it cut at the end there...
Super just isn't working for me...
Thanks.

ChuteTheMessenger

So. I can't get any of this to work. Not the software, or anything. I've downloaded my file and everything. I'm usually pretty good ont he cpu. Idk. i can't figure it out...

If anyone feels up to helping me out and making it for me... here'es the video i want...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyOSx62c2Ic
I understand that the video is over 1:59. But i'm willing to have it cut at the end there...
Super just isn't working for me...
Thanks.
Sorry for the late reply. Requests should go here:
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=281244
I'll put your request there when done

tbtechwiz

Smash Apprentice
I tried, and this is my end-result:

did I do it right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7c2ulFRW1k

I came up with a clever way to waste time where the small portion of the THP doesn't actually show

By the way i have a sony vegas pro 9 save file with guide markers for anyone editing their movies with sony vegas pro 9

the markers guide the THP lengths, and the parts where the OP movie doesnt show the video (so you can time your hack to fire the video when you want it on screen)

http://www.mediafire.com/?sd8t89nc45amgfb

I don't know if im allowed to do that, but it should help, let me know if the link is not allowed

ChuteTheMessenger

did I do it right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7c2ulFRW1k

I came up with a clever way to waste time where the small portion of the THP doesn't actually show

By the way i have a sony vegas pro 9 save file with guide markers for anyone editing their movies with sony vegas pro 9

the markers guide the THP lengths, and the parts where the OP movie doesnt show the video (so you can time your hack to fire the video when you want it on screen)

http://www.mediafire.com/?sd8t89nc45amgfb

I don't know if im allowed to do that, but it should help, let me know if the link is not allowed
Thanks greatly for the info. I must've missed my email notification of this or something, as I'm subscribed to this thread. Sorry about ignoring your post.
I'll include that info sometime in the future when I remake this tut, it's a bit of an eyesore right now.

toki

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3582-9503-2397
edit:
K I figured everything out <3

The only problem is, say if I want 2 or 3 different Openings for brawl and am I able to choose alternately on Riivolution?
eg. Select movie 1 on Riivolution, restart wii, select Movie 2 on Riivolution etc

ChuteTheMessenger

edit:
K I figured everything out <3

The only problem is, say if I want 2 or 3 different Openings for brawl and am I able to choose alternately on Riivolution?
eg. Select movie 1 on Riivolution, restart wii, select Movie 2 on Riivolution etc
Eh?
Glad you got everything working.
Riivo doesn't work with THP's.

ChuteTheMessenger

Bump.
As promised, I've given this tut a major overhaul and facelift. Much has been added and rearranged.

I hope that this guide is easier to follow now.

Please read over and comment, and point out typo's and broken links. Thanks.

ChuteTheMessenger

You faker, you havent told the real truth and causing a virus!!! I'll make you pay!
Can't tell if you're trolling or just ignorant

Oh, yes. I spent all that time creating an elaborate fake guide so that I could "causing a virus."

First of all, L2Grammar

Secondly, please explain the problem instead of pointing fingers and accusing me of something unintelligible.

Last but not least, empty threat is empty.

tbtechwiz

Smash Apprentice
Thanks greatly for the info. I must've missed my email notification of this or something, as I'm subscribed to this thread. Sorry about ignoring your post.
I'll include that info sometime in the future when I remake this tut, it's a bit of an eyesore right now.
sorry for laate reply, had computer trouble and didn't get another one for a long time

anyways, I'm glad that small bit I provided helped out a bit

I will be writing a tutorial on how to process the video in sony vegas.

or is it all right to merge it with this thread?

ChuteTheMessenger

sorry for laate reply, had computer trouble and didn't get another one for a long time

anyways, I'm glad that small bit I provided helped out a bit

I will be writing a tutorial on how to process the video in sony vegas.

or is it all right to merge it with this thread?
Oh sure, no problem. Will you be PM'ing me the contents of your tut? I'll add it onto mine promptly after you finish it. Thanks for innovating!

tbtechwiz

Smash Apprentice
Oh sure, no problem. Will you be PM'ing me the contents of your tut? I'll add it onto mine promptly after you finish it. Thanks for innovating!
I have PM'd you a copy of my sony vegas-end tutorial
(some edits were made from the original plan to take into account for:

region size
steps that result in the steps in SUPER being rendered useless (added note about that there) )

ChuteTheMessenger

I have PM'd you a copy of my sony vegas-end tutorial
(some edits were made from the original plan to take into account for:

region size
steps that result in the steps in SUPER being rendered useless (added note about that there) )
Gotcha! Added.
The image tags in which you specify a size don't work though (those tags work on KC:MM but not here apparently)

MikeYoshi

Smash Rookie
A bump with a little bit of info that should be noted:
The multi-renamer program doesn't want to rename over 5000 files at a time (on Windows XP SP3 at least). This left me with about 700 files that were not renamed. Selecting these 700 and trying to rename them gives you errors about files already existing (Because it tries to start at 00001 again). I'm working on finding a way to work around this, because SUPER's options run off the bottom of my screen meaning I can't select "Sequence of Images" from there.

I'm just trying to find out why my THP plays at half speed on the Wii but not in THPPlay.

ChuteTheMessenger

The multi-renamer program doesn't want to rename over 5000 files at a time (on Windows XP SP3 at least). This left me with about 700 files that were not renamed. Selecting these 700 and trying to rename them gives you errors about files already existing (Because it tries to start at 00001 again). I'm working on finding a way to work around this, because SUPER's options run off the bottom of my screen meaning I can't select "Sequence of Images" from there.

I'm just trying to find out why my THP plays at half speed on the Wii but not in THPPlay.
Noted and updated. Thanks!

Hm. I see. So SUPER runs off of your screen.
Try changing the screen resolution of your computer, or moving the program up with your keyboard using alt+space and then the m key, then using the arrow keys to move it around.

MikeYoshi

Smash Rookie
I didn't touch SUPER at all, and I didn't batch rename my jpegs either. I left them as they were (skipping both the multi-renamer and SUPER) and called them with this:

Code:
THPConv -j Untitled_******.jpeg -d title.thp -s Untitled.wav -r 29.97

Also, I think I know why the audio is going slow. The audio frequency might be wrong. Try re-making your THPs with the audio frequency changed to 32000 (default BRSTMs use 32000, and Mario Kart Wii's THPs also use 32000, so I'd assume Brawl's does too). If you have a hex editor handy, look at 0x56 and those two bytes are the audio frequency (and as a bonus, 0x10 is the framerate, though changing this didn't change anything ingame).

Simply put, it's possibly slowing down the THP to play the audio at 32000hz. It's the only logical explanation for the slowdowns.

Edit: Changing audio frequency to 32000hz DID fix the slowdown problem.

ChuteTheMessenger

I didn't touch SUPER at all, and I didn't batch rename my jpegs either. I left them as they were (skipping both the multi-renamer and SUPER) and called them with this:

Code:
THPConv -j Untitled_******.jpeg -d title.thp -s Untitled.wav -r 59.94
Also, I think I know why the audio is going slow. The audio frequency might be wrong. Try re-making your THPs with the audio frequency changed to 32000 (default BRSTMs use 32000, and Mario Kart Wii's THPs also use 32000, so I'd assume Brawl's does too). If you have a hex editor handy, look at 0x56 and those two bytes are the audio frequency (and as a bonus, 0x10 is the framerate, though changing this didn't change anything ingame).

Simply put, it's possibly slowing down the THP to play the audio at 32000hz. It's the only logical explanation for the slowdowns.
Cool.
I do remember having problems with slow audio.
Could you perhaps cite for me where in the tutorial I may address slow audio, if I do? Or when I have mentioned that I have this problem? I need to know so that I can add this information to the guide with a bit of context. I haven't done this in a while, to be honest.

MikeYoshi

Smash Rookie
Cool.
I do remember having problems with slow audio.
Could you perhaps cite for me where in the tutorial I may address slow audio, if I do? Or when I have mentioned that I have this problem? I need to know so that I can add this information to the guide with a bit of context. I haven't done this in a while, to be honest.
In Step 1, you have this:

Select "WAV (Audio Only)" from the Output Container tab on the top left. The settings here don't really matter too much, just select 2 channels and 44100 hz from the options below.
It should say this:

Select "WAV (Audio Only)" from the Output Container tab on the top left. The settings here don't really matter too much, just select 2 channels and 32000 hz from the options below.
And Yuna (on page 3) said they had the slow audio problem.

ChuteTheMessenger

In Step 1, you have this:

It should say this:

And Yuna (on page 3) said they had the slow audio problem.
Aaaaaaaah.
Thank you so much for identifying that! All along I had no idea what was causing the slow audio problems I occasionally had. OP fixed!

MikeYoshi

Smash Rookie
Aaaaaaaah.
Thank you so much for identifying that! All along I had no idea what was causing the slow audio problems I occasionally had. OP fixed!
Yeah, it seems that some THPs have their audio frequency forced and others don't. I don't know why.

tbtechwiz

Smash Apprentice

then when you go to round 2 of the renaming, set the number in the middle field to the next number in the sequence that got dropped, that should be the workaround.

the wii can't load the whole thing quick enough if the quality is too high, lower bitrate renders/lower res THPS will play faster.

my method gets you a one to one quality render, loading the hacked ISO off of an HDD might speed it up a bit

MikeYoshi

Smash Rookie
then when you go to round 2 of the renaming, set the number in the middle field to the next number in the sequence that got dropped, that should be the workaround.

the wii can't load the whole thing quick enough if the quality is too high, lower bitrate renders/lower res THPS will play faster.

my method gets you a one to one quality render, loading the hacked ISO off of an HDD might speed it up a bit
By "Playing slowly", I didn't mean "lagging". The audio was playing at a lower speed AND a lower pitch, suggesting that it was simply trying to play at a different speed, and I was right. The audio frequency was wrong. It should be 32000hz, not 44100hz.

Edit: I made a couple of Batch files that are useful to Vegas users. You can find them here. Put these in the same folder as your jpegs, THPConv and DSPTool. They're designed for Windows XP, but they may work on Vista and 7 (though I don't think those have the "SET /P variable=string" command)

What are they useful for? They skip SUPER, and the multi-renamer, allowing THPConv to use a direct output from Vegas.

Remember to set Vegas to "Sequence of Images" and have the type set to "jpeg". JPEG and JPG are identical, so there's no need to change them.

DeleteJPEG.bat will delete all JPEG files in the current folder. Useful to remove jpegs from previous THPs.
CreateTHP.bat will ask you for the name of the JPEGs, the destination file, the audio file and the framerate, and will run THPConv with the settings you chose.

When it asks you for the name, don't include any numbers or asterisks, as it'll add those itself. This BAT assumes there's 6 digits in your filenames (since that's how Vegas saves them). So, if my files are like this:
killshot_000000.jpeg, Untitled.wav, 29.97fps

I'd type these in order:
"killshot" "Output.thp" "Untitled.wav" "29.97"

It asks you if it's correct anyway. With my settings above, the BAT will ask me this:

Code:
Is this correct?
Name: killshot_******.jpeg
Output: Output.thp
Audio: Untitled.wav
Framerate: 29.97
Y/N?
Typing a lowercase "n" will ask you for the settings again. Typing a lowercase "y" will run THPConv with the current settings. An invalid setting will cause THPConv to fail, like usual.

SmashBrosFighter

Smash Rookie
Your program THP Tool could use some SERIOUS improvement. By having left out one data field you made a SIGNIFICANT FAILURE of your program. You needed to include the Base JPEG File Name field. You see while your program can only signal ***** (number of asterisks signaled based on the number in the field that says how many asterisks it should have) it is missing the whole possibility of the file name having a base name. That is it could just as easilly say myvideo***** for the file name, and that's because the actual work-horse (thpconv.exe) actually takes file names which have a base name before the asterisks as a valid input. Your probram THPtool is just a front-end to thpconv, and unfortunately you overlooked this VERY IMPORTANT functionality of having a base file name before the asterisks. It's VERY IMPORTANT because using your THPtool program, I'm VERY LIMITED in the file names it will accept for the JPEG, SO LIMITED in fact that I will depend on using Super Converter for the converter (as in your tutorial). Yet I know of a better technique for generating numbered JPG files than using Super (a crappy program that takes 5 minutes just to start up!).

Unfortunately the technique I use uses a different software that does NOT generate a pure number for the file name, instead it generates a file name that has a base (which is based on the name of the original video file) followed by a number. So I'll be forced to use the command line THPconv for this, and NOT use your GUI. Yet that is ALSO a problem for me as I FREAKING HATE having to type in a command line to run stuff, it's so stupid and tedious!

So I need YOU to finally make a DECENT copy of THPtool that actually has added a data field for the sole purpose of holding the base file name.

SmashBrosFighter

Smash Rookie
By "Playing slowly", I didn't mean "lagging". The audio was playing at a lower speed AND a lower pitch, suggesting that it was simply trying to play at a different speed, and I was right. The audio frequency was wrong. It should be 32000hz, not 44100hz.

Edit: I made a couple of Batch files that are useful to Vegas users. You can find them here. Put these in the same folder as your jpegs, THPConv and DSPTool. They're designed for Windows XP, but they may work on Vista and 7 (though I don't think those have the "SET /P variable=string" command)

What are they useful for? They skip SUPER, and the multi-renamer, allowing THPConv to use a direct output from Vegas.

Remember to set Vegas to "Sequence of Images" and have the type set to "jpeg". JPEG and JPG are identical, so there's no need to change them.

DeleteJPEG.bat will delete all JPEG files in the current folder. Useful to remove jpegs from previous THPs.
CreateTHP.bat will ask you for the name of the JPEGs, the destination file, the audio file and the framerate, and will run THPConv with the settings you chose.

When it asks you for the name, don't include any numbers or asterisks, as it'll add those itself. This BAT assumes there's 6 digits in your filenames (since that's how Vegas saves them). So, if my files are like this:
killshot_000000.jpeg, Untitled.wav, 29.97fps

I'd type these in order:
"killshot" "Output.thp" "Untitled.wav" "29.97"

It asks you if it's correct anyway. With my settings above, the BAT will ask me this:

Code:
Is this correct?
Name: killshot_******.jpeg
Output: Output.thp
Audio: Untitled.wav
Framerate: 29.97
Y/N?
Typing a lowercase "n" will ask you for the settings again. Typing a lowercase "y" will run THPConv with the current settings. An invalid setting will cause THPConv to fail, like usual.

LOL FAIL! You are catering to VEGAS users? That's a honking expensive program! Nobody has that outside of hollywood film makers! Unless of course by your very post you are trying to CONDONE PIRACY! And I'm pretty sure that's FORBIDDEN on these forums.

Top Bottom