• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tired of cocky players on FG...

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Though I personally don't taunt at all unless I play as Little Mac (his side taunt at the start of a match), Shulk ("This is the Monado's power" at the start of a match and "I'm really feeling it!" after a kill), Lucina ("Come at me!" at the start of a match) and Ganondorf (his up taunt after a kill and side taunt at the start of a match), I don't have a problem with people taunting after a kill or whatever. If people are so bothered by other people taunting them that they decide to spill :shaker: on the table, that's their own fault for letting them go through their heads like that. This is suppose to be just two people having a friendly match no matter what happens and who wins or loses, not throwing unnecessary salt in your face and take the fun away as a result.
Nice said, so far I haven't really seen someone who taunts in a match, but it's obvious that I will feel frustrated if I kept losing. Moreover, someone taunting at me after I get koed and lost is just like spilling the:shaker:on my open wound. IT BURNS....
There's no way of knowing if the person you're playing against is, in fact, friendly or an *** unless they changed their tags to something that says he wants to shake your hand as a sign of respect or something that slaps you across the face. Trust does, of course, play a role in **** like this especially in For Glory.
When playing team match, there's no time for taunting, but you will pray that you won't get a bad teammate.
You don't afraid an god-like enemy, only afraid an dead-like ally...

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
When playing team match, there's no time for taunting, but you will pray that you won't get a bad teammate.
You don't afraid an god-like enemy, only afraid an dead-like ally...
Lol I once had a teammate that was so bad that I would literary be better off alone. Too bad team battle is not stock without stealing, because if it were it would be much harder for your teammate to be worse than nothing.

Also do you play Mario and Sonic on FG 1v1? Ever played an blue R.O.B. recently?

Drippy

Smash Ace
There's no way of knowing if the person you're playing against is, in fact, friendly or an *** unless they changed their tags to something that says he wants to shake your hand as a sign of respect or something that slaps you across the face. Trust does, of course, play a role in **** like this especially in For Glory.
That's why I said I know not everyone who taunts means to do it as an aggressive way and that they should just realize that it may seem rude to people because of course we can't tell online what they're trying to say behind those taunts. Again I'm not trying to say all taunters are bad guys or something, just that a taunt by definitions means to provoke a player and if you're not familiar with them or have a mutual trust with each other like the people I did with, then it'll just seem like you're insulting them.

RedHotRubberDucky

Smash Cadet
I'm glad you made this topic because I was just about to make this kind of topic myself. I understand taunting when you and your friends are playing "friendlies" and stuff like that especially when you are playing locally too and with items.

For Glory mode is designed to be the competitive mode. There is no need to be a douchebag online or in general. Literally played against 20 different people today all who taunted like cocky little kids. There is no need to be taunting during battle or three times in a row.

I'm not the best, but I consider myself a decent player except when I'm paired up against someone who spams grab and relies on the same combo the whole game. Come on guys, be more creative and explore more fighting options. I know your only reason is winning, but make the matches more fun (sorry side rant). Also wah wah wahh. Get good Redhot lols. My b.

Anyways, what I've been doing is reporting anyone who excessively taunts. I know there are some of you who feel that because you are SOOO good you taunt to make the other players feel like ****. Why? Your precious score means nothing in Smash Bros. So hopefully more people start reporting your asses and don't cry when you get banned online. I know this is a big dream and will be nearly impossible to get all the disrespectful players banned, but hey, might as well clean some of the garbage while you can. I just can't take the taunters and spammers. Mainly the taunters.

So whatever. Spam taunters are douchebags and disrespectful.

PS. Before anyone tries to be that guy/girl.

Yes Salty as fuhhhh. Salt level really high. Am I mad? No. lols. I'm disappointed. Ill try to get better. Don't have enough time to dedicate all my gaming time to this one game. Hope to see a cleaner online experience someday.

Drippy

Smash Ace
I'm not the best, but I consider myself a decent player except when I'm paired up against someone who spams grab and relies on the same combo the whole game. Come on guys, be more creative and explore more fighting options. I know your only reason is winning, but make the matches more fun (sorry side rant). Also wah wah wahh. Get good Redhot lols. My b.
I don't mean to disrespect you but if they're spamming grabs and relying on the same combo every game did you should be learning and adapting to the enemy's play-style instead of getting frustrated that their method is working against you. Also consider the possibility people have fun in winning and of course when they beat people like you who don't know how to punish grab "spam" then of course they're going to continue using it. Perhaps show them the flaw in their strategy by beating them.

Last edited:

RedHotRubberDucky

Smash Cadet
I don't mean to disrespect you but if they're spamming grabs and relying on the same combo every game did you should be learning and adapting to the enemy's play-style instead of getting frustrated that their method is working against you. Also consider the possibility people have fun in winning and of course when they beat people like you who don't know how to punish grab "spam" then of course they're going to continue using it. Perhaps show them the flaw in their strategy by beating them.
Nah you aren't disrespecting me. I'm really not that good, but you are right. I don't know how to punish grab spammers :p

:4duckhunt:

Last edited:

Brinzy

Godfather of the Crimean Mafia
NNID
Brinzy
My favorite is when someone taunts after seeing red sparks on a hit.

Only I know how to DI.

Then I live.

Then I beat them.

They leave 100% of the time.

The best feeling.

yng. lcko

Smash Rookie
Normally once at the start of a match as pretty much respect to the other player, but I do understand where your going from just don't think about it too much and just move on an enjoy the game for what it is :bubblebobble:

Aphistemi

Smash Ace
NNID
MasterOfTheToots
It really is a waste of time to play people like this, if you beat them while they are trying to be disrespectful, you should just leave. and move on to the next person who will, hopefully, be respectful.

you gain nothing from fighting people like this, because the second you lose they will run fast as they can, hoping they won't see you again. I play smash brothers for fun, I go in for glory and expect my opponent seeking the same, but if all they are trying to do is annoy you or be direspectful, then it's not even worth it.

I understand your frustration, especially if you are trying to learn a new character, and they beat you and go nuts like they won some kind of offline major, that can get annoying, but trust me its not worth getting mad over. if you ever want some ggs, you can hit me up on nintend, my ID is Aphistemi

P.S, I will only taunt if stuff like this happens:

because who wouldn't? :D

1FC0

Smash Lord
P.S, I will only taunt if stuff like this happens:

because who wouldn't? :D
I would not, I would attack the opponent while he is taunting and THEN I would probably taunt him. No kidding I am awsome like that.

Last edited:

Spyro839

Smash Cadet
FG is really hard for me, I fought 217 battles and a majority of it are losses. I have about 80 or 90 something wins. I need practice for real. it's also probly becuz I'm 13

Last edited:

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Lol I once had a teammate that was so bad that I would literary be better off alone. Too bad team battle is not stock without stealing, because if it were it would be much harder for your teammate to be worse than nothing.

Also do you play Mario and Sonic on FG 1v1? Ever played an blue R.O.B. recently?
I have met this scenario a lot anyway.

I only have 3DS for now, and I only use Mario so far in 1 on 1, but after I lose a lot, busy in my daily life, I seldom play online.
And I never use ROB, why do you ask that?(curious)

1FC0

Smash Lord
I have met this scenario a lot anyway.

I only have 3DS for now, and I only use Mario so far in 1 on 1, but after I lose a lot, busy in my daily life, I seldom play online.
And I never use ROB, why do you ask that?(curious)
I met someone online on the 3DS who played Mario and Sonic and his online name was Mario so I thought that maybe you were him. And I meant against the R.O.B. because I used R.O.B.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I met someone online on the 3DS who played Mario and Sonic and his online name was Mario so I thought that maybe you were him. And I meant against the R.O.B. because I used R.O.B.
My name on the 3DS is Simon. You can go check my miiverse page.
And I thought you can't enter Nintendo character's names that has the tradmark?

So was he tough to beat?

1FC0

Smash Lord
My name on the 3DS is Simon. You can go check my miiverse page.
And I thought you can't enter Nintendo character's names that has the tradmark?

So was he tough to beat?
Yeah he was really good especially for FG 1v1 standards.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Yeah he was really good especially for FG 1v1 standards.
I hope you can send me the replays, but for now my 3DS FC list is full. I don't know if I will add you or not since I don't play Smash with you...
Gosh...a bit regret of adding so many friends...

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
I do not think that I have replays of it because I do not save replays often. But if you are not him then they would probably not be worth your time anyway. Nothing special happened and I do not think that I am a tourney viable player, and he was about equally good as me. That is very good for FG 1v1 standards but probably not so good for tourney standards.

mario123007

NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I do not think that I have replays of it because I do not save replays often. But if you are not him then they would probably not be worth your time anyway. Nothing special happened and I do not think that I am a tourney viable player, and he was about equally good as me. That is very good for FG 1v1 standards but probably not so good for tourney standards.
Oh, I just hope that I can learn some few moves, that's okay.

D

Deleted member

That can be the case sometimes. But when they taunt every time they can, it gets aggravating.
Try to keep in mind that the game actually teaches you to "taunt" with the CPUs ever since Melee (and maybe Smash 64? I can't remember).

If someone taunts you, just fight back. Don't get upset about it. Heck, taunt them back.

Dj.D

Smash Apprentice
The kind of cocky players I can't stand: They use your main after you lose with it. As though they are saying "THIS is how you use him/her!" Seriously, I consider that rude. MAYBE you can do that to someone who is completely clueless and obviously a beginner who doesn't know the basics, but to someone that is clearly above average in skill, uses tricks, techniques and combos with that character and especially when there was a good or decent chance of them winning? Rude and being all show offish. I don't need you to tell me how to use that character and I can continue looking at guides and videos to learn how to be better.

WakerofWinds

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sydrael
3DS FC
4699-5989-8229
My favorite is when someone taunts after seeing red sparks on a hit.

Only I know how to DI.

Then I live.

Then I beat them.

They leave 100% of the time.

The best feeling.
This feeling is honestly my favorite thing about For Glory: when you know you're going to live, but they clearly don't. I'm usually thinking something along the lines of, "Yep, good kill, buddy."

|RK|

Smash Marketer
I taunt at the beginning for other Kirby characters. They usually return the gesture. It's nice :)

I used to taunt a lot after kills with Lucario's up taunt - not out of disrespect, but just to express an emotional release. So raw and powerful.

When I switched to maining Kirby, I stopped, since none of Kirby's taunts express that feeling - just pure disrespect, lol. So I taunt if they taunt me first, now. It's usually in good fun anyways.

The kind of cocky players I can't stand: They use your main after you lose with it. As though they are saying "THIS is how you use him/her!" Seriously, I consider that rude. MAYBE you can do that to someone who is completely clueless and obviously a beginner who doesn't know the basics, but to someone that is clearly above average in skill, uses tricks, techniques and combos with that character and especially when there was a good or decent chance of them winning? Rude and being all show offish. I don't need you to tell me how to use that character and I can continue looking at guides and videos to learn how to be better.
Worse is the people that pick your character after they lose to you multiple times. As if to say "you only won because of X!" Back when I played as Lucario, that was occasionally valid - I'd be better at low percents, then they'd beat me with high Aura. But now that I'm primarily Kirby? I have no qualms about taunting those people after beating them silly.

Last edited:

Still~Wolf

Embwace Twanquility
I taunt at the beginning for other Kirby characters. They usually return the gesture. It's nice :)

I used to taunt a lot after kills with Lucario's up taunt - not out of disrespect, but just to express an emotional release. So raw and powerful.

When I switched to maining Kirby, I stopped, since none of Kirby's taunts express that feeling - just pure disrespect, lol. So I taunt if they taunt me first, now. It's usually in good fun anyways.

Worse is the people that pick your character after they lose to you multiple times. As if to say "you only won because of X!" Back when I played as Lucario, that was occasionally valid - I'd be better at low percents, then they'd beat me with high Aura. But now that I'm primarily Kirby? I have no qualms about taunting those people after beating them silly.
I get this EVERY TIME I PLAY :4falcon:. I mean seriously, that is so unneeded. Super satisfying to Falcon pawnch 'em in the face during the mirror.

More on topic, I like to taunt if I land a nice kill (a spike, a falcon/warlock punch, etc). I typically don't do it unless my opponent does too, though.

PerryEllis

Smash Cadet
The fighting game community is awful in their own way. Either way, 90% of gamers are disrespectful which makes it a pain to match-make online. Don't pay too much attention to their ill behaviors. They are sad individuals.

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
The fighting game community is awful in their own way. Either way, 90% of gamers are disrespectful which makes it a pain to match-make online. Don't pay too much attention to their ill behaviors. They are sad individuals.
I just got off fighting a Mr. GW who after beating me a few rounds (I had no idea what the MU was like so was therefore bad) put up preset messages like "u suck" and "loser". I was personally enjoying learning the MU up until that point, where after sending those messages, they quit. I'm just like.. "OK? You won, why would you rage quit?"

Odds are it was a little teenager with ego issues. At least I hope it was. The alternative would be even sad/worse.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I quite am positive that by the time Tournament Mode (Tourneys) comes in, For Glory will become majorly abandoned.

With the fact that it's still based on one sole type of a stage that favours certain match-ups more than others and employs it's own strategies, it's not a representative of player's true skill and flexibility. Yet just how many people keep thinking it's this, constantly trying to put you down the time you lose and throwing slurs, etc. But to be completely honest, with the semi-anonymity, random match-ups and playing only as much battles as you can with the opponent until either you or him/her leave, this mode already is shallow in means of setting up and communication.

Tournament Mode again will present more stages and opening - closing times, and also have more variety. We might see 1 VS 1 with items become a reality, and much more, which will encourage more different kinds of players wanting their own sorts of fun, and also allow more characters dominate in different kinds of stages.

In general, I think For Glory allows to bring the worst out of people. When you win, either it gets taken for granted and people try best you up. OK. But sometimes they get annoyed and attacked on their self-worth (why?) as a player and proceed to do such things like picking the character you played, or their fighting prowess just starts to dwindle.

And by promoting pretty salty atmosphere, people can't much feel at ease and let feelings easily cloud their playing prowess, for Smash 4 isn't anymore a fun and competitive sport, but an excuse to be degrading and highly cocky. It's absolutely childish to force a videogame define a human's worth, especially the winner's and the loser's, and makes it less easy to go all out as no victory means everything you worked for seemingly became useless and one should "drop the game altogether."

It's pretty backwards too as all will be begin as "sucky" - and it's okay. You always will go up from there and gradually develop into a great player with your own put time, criticism, and practice. The problem keeps always being the players not being aware of this and trying to present Smash as some sort of end-all to all things, contesting your losses as indicators to not even play the game in the first place. So much for perfectionism.

I really enjoy more playing with friends for this very reason. Sometimes I go to For Glory just to see how they act like and what-not for giggles. But it kinda makes the mode feel defeated in it's purpose however, as for not feeling like fighting due plenty players being disrespectful and cocky individuals, there's just general unpleasant time to be had, which you will rationalize as not any indicator of skill, it's just something that will ruin your day because people act this way compared to say, your friends. One has to just grow a thick skin, I guess.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
I know, right? These degenerate tryhard scum of the earth are the cancer that has already left FG a rotten corpse, especially since most of them play easy "pick-up-and-win" characters like Mario, Sonic, and Ness.

Last edited:

FP-Takyon

Smash Apprentice
One of the few things that really makes me salty is when I taunt at the start of a match and they run up and smack me or grab. In my experience these players are usually very bad and easy to disrespect, luckily enough.

Stalling out till time is also p much guaranteed to bring out the salt in me. But what can you do.

I'm honestly surprised nintendo hasn't patched player tags from being visible in wii u considering how much **** talk people do with it

Last edited:

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
If I ever find anyone who starts ****tin' on me before the match even starts, I just leave immediately and look for someone else. I don't dance with cocky ass ******* out there.

Last edited:

Chez G.

Yay...
NNID
toomanygames64
Funny. I actually fought this Iggy player who was really good but also very cocky. Dash dancing in spite, taunting, the works. Ironically, although I lost all of the matches I had with him (almost won one actually), I just laughed it off.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
I don't see taunting during the start of the match as being cocky. I see it as just being friendly.
I agree. Sometimes I taunt at the beginning of the match, as a friendly gesture or a "Good luck"

I tend to ignore anyone being disrespectful (like taunting after a kill, etc) because it will make you play emotionally (bad thing).

MatrixNexus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Whoisthis0
3DS FC
4785-6210-1190
I agree. Sometimes I taunt at the beginning of the match, as a friendly gesture or a "Good luck"

I tend to ignore anyone being disrespectful (like taunting after a kill, etc) because it will make you play emotionally (bad thing).

I don't mind taunting after getting killed (especially if it was stylish).

Last edited:

PerryEllis

Smash Cadet
I think that when someone taunts you or something it should drive you to really kick their ***
It's a justified for you to physically beat your opponent at a live event. If that gamer dares to disrespect you as a human being, you have the right to disrespect him back according to your judgement.

ReturningFall

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RecurringN
3DS FC
1934-0989-6824
Personally, I've found I like playing guys who taunt at the start. It's usually a sign they tend to be more of the 'I'm gonna relax and have fun' type of players more than the 'I'm gonna have to win' players. Which I find more fun to play with in general as they'll switch characters and we'll do silly things in the match because of it.

Honestly, this cocky, arrogant "I'm better than you" attitude is much more pervasive than just FG. Go to Youtube. Been watching smash videos? Good, now look at the welcome page. Of the combo videos and exhibitions how many are titled nonsense like "Undefeatable: For Glory" or consist of making fun of the other players. It's a whole (sub?) culture that has emerged. Supposedly, Japan doesn't have this problem. It's all on us.

Of course, to be fair, this is a far bigger problem than Smash, or the even FGC. Spend an hour on League of Legends or watch half an hour of videos from Call of Duty and you'll find online gaming seems to be infected with a general malaise of bullying, immaturity and hate. If anything, the fact people think smash is a 'kiddy game' has made it better than the average as a lot of the little kids who think acting like rascist pricks will make them look older stay away.

I'm honestly surprised nintendo hasn't patched player tags from being visible in wii u considering how much **** talk people do with it
Considering the great pains it seems they took with regards to player communication (e.g. no mic chat in FG, no messaging between players, etc) I'm amazed they let it stay around at all. Personally, I'd like Nintendo to take a stand and either make communication easier or just impossible. Are you trying to shelter people's kids or not? Currently we have just enough space for people to be bullies but not enough to have any interesting conversations. Make up your mind.

Last edited:

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Agreed. Although, I don't mind taunting after getting killed (especially if it was stylish).
Oh yeah, good point! I will sometimes taunt after I get killed. To me, in my mind, I take that as a "WOW nice!" haha. I don't taunt when I take a stock though.

123outerme

Smash Cadet
NNID
123outerme
When an opponent gets a really good KO (improvised combo to spike, for example), I'll use DK's down taunt like "I dunno, lol". Especially when I'm playing With Friends, where my down taunt has "GG" as the text.

Top Bottom