• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tired of cocky players on FG...

Haloedhero

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Haloedhero
3DS FC
4957-3994-3545
I feed on the disrespectful behavior. There's nothing I love more than beating a cocky player repeatedly and knocking them down a few pegs. It's less boring than beating bad players who are really trying as hard as they can and are totally serious.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I feed on the disrespectful behavior. There's nothing I love more than beating a cocky player repeatedly and knocking them down a few pegs. It's less boring than beating bad players who are really trying as hard as they can and are totally serious.
I feed on owning players like you who feed on beating cocky players. It is really satisfying to taunt, get knocked around for a while, and then when the opponent taunts back thinking that he will own a cocky player suddenly go full steam and own the poor scrub and taunt again. If he D/Ces after this then I will feast on his sorrow.

BundleofNerves

Smash Rookie
NNID
GameGoober
No one can blame you for being annoyed over it.

Playing online gives the benefit of anonymity, so people tend to be more inclined to intentionally grief or sandbag people. Hence why so many would do it in For Glory, when they aren't face to face, and obviously/most likely won't run into you or anyone else ever again.

As said above, it's not a good idea to take things too seriously/to heart. The "glory" in For Glory isn't worth the salt.
Unfortunately the internet has turned many would-be decent human beings into trolls. A place where you can be as horrible as you want, with no consequence. It seems the world wasn't ready for that much freedom.

It's good you are able to have that mentality. I'm insecure so I get really upset and sad. :(
We're all insecure with ourselves. Being able to admit it is a start to bettering yourself. And I don't mean as a Smasher. ;)

I have no problem with people taunting at the beginning of a match and I will do the same if the opponent does it because I see it as if we're saying hello to each other and then from than on I don't really care when they taunt because I know it's just a friendly gesture. In general I know not everyone who taunts in For Glory after a kill is doing it to be mean, but as I said before, I think when the person doesn't bother to say "GG" or even something friendly like a taunt at the beginning of the match, you don't really have that mutual trust with the person and taunts just seem like a laugh in the face after they kill you or you SD or something and it can be disheartening for many people.
I usually taunt at the start to say hi. All these unwritten rules for this game just leaves people angry, confused and hateful trying to figure out if the other person is laughing at them or with them. I usually taunt if I self-destruct too. As if I'm saying, "Ha, did you see that? Man, I'm an idiot." (You'll learn to fly one day, Little Mac.)

Personally, I've found I like playing guys who taunt at the start. It's usually a sign they tend to be more of the 'I'm gonna relax and have fun' type of players more than the 'I'm gonna have to win' players. Which I find more fun to play with in general as they'll switch characters and we'll do silly things in the match because of it.

Honestly, this cocky, arrogant "I'm better than you" attitude is much more pervasive than just FG. Go to Youtube. Been watching smash videos? Good, now look at the welcome page. Of the combo videos and exhibitions how many are titled nonsense like "Undefeatable: For Glory" or consist of making fun of the other players. It's a whole (sub?) culture that has emerged. Supposedly, Japan doesn't have this problem. It's all on us.

Of course, to be fair, this is a far bigger problem than Smash, or the even FGC. Spend an hour on League of Legends or watch half an hour of videos from Call of Duty and you'll find online gaming seems to be infected with a general malaise of bullying, immaturity and hate. If anything, the fact people think smash is a 'kiddy game' has made it better than the average as a lot of the little kids who think acting like rascist pricks will make them look older stay away.

Considering the great pains it seems they took with regards to player communication (e.g. no mic chat in FG, no messaging between players, etc) I'm amazed they let it stay around at all. Personally, I'd like Nintendo to take a stand and either make communication easier or just impossible. Are you trying to shelter people's kids or not? Currently we have just enough space for people to be bullies but not enough to have any interesting conversations. Make up your mind.
My bad, I deleted the first quote because it wasn't part of my response, but that put my response inside the quote box. If you haven't guessed, this is my first time on a forum.
I've tried looking up some Youtube videos and instantly hit the mute button. I thought they'd be fun to watch, some exciting matches and funny commentary. But all I found were more die-hards acting like tough thugs treating this game like a sport of dominance. Just more hatred to pass by. I guess they want to be, "The next big thing" in Youtube gaming videos, that by doing what the majority want them to do they'll appease the internet gods and be given fame, money, and all the sex they want. The best I've managed to find is a group called, "WRTP". They do a Smash video about once a week, for fun. They've been friends so long they can say whatever they feel to each other without worry or aggression.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom