• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for Current and Rising Mario Players

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
I'm bored, so I decided to make a small list of tips for Mario players. This will not concern any specific match-up or things of that nature. Feel free to add more tips to this as well.

Tip #1: Pay Attention

As a Mario player it is very important to know when something isn't working. This could vary from a certain playstyle to a certain tactic. It is also important to know when something -is- working and should be done more often. Most of all, know when to take advantage of player mistakes, most of them being the lack of knowledge of Mario's ATs and techniques.

Tip #2: Know your faults

We all know Mario is not the best character in the game. We also know however, that he is capable of taking on every character with a decent or higher chance of winning. Analyzing Mario's faults can only make you a better player.

Tip #3: Live for the Moment

To play Mario, you have to constantly think and analyze your situation. This automatically becomes impossible if your psyche yourself out. Do not think about that Pro-Metaknight player dominating the brackets, or that DeDeDe who knows how to infinite. Your focus stays on the task at hand, and nothing else.

Tip #4: Be Gay (From A2ZOMG)

When you play, you play to win. Use whatever is at your disposal, and this also means camping. Camping is just as good as a tactic as anything else, and if it works you should keep doing it, even if your opponent is constantly talking about how much of a pansy you are. Just laugh at him and ask who's winning.

Tip #5: Be a Mario (From Matador)

You can't become a better Mario player if you do not like Mario in the first place. Don't force yourself to play a character you don't like. That spells failure every time.

Tip #6: Give Skyler cake

There is no better way to become one of the elite Mario players than to send SkylerOcon cake (preferably chocolate). Seriously, do it! Boss does it. Look at how good his Mario is!

Feel free to add on.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
One other thing...you have to fireball and B-air camp as boring as it gets.

I mean I love doing sick mindgames and spacing tricks, but once your opponent starts getting patient, you have to become patient too.

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
@ number1 Basically USE OBSERVATION SKILLS. Most important thing in Smash comes down to it. Could read my how to get better luigi guide or look in tactical discussion for longer walls of text :]

@number2 basically, know mario and EVERYTHING ABOUT HIM. Then COMES with your OWN (player-wise) weaknesses. Hippie suxs@campingw/Mario.

@number3 basically I need to work on this ._. I screamed like a girl every time I get like Ninjalink in my first round bracket LOL.

2gudHero

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
Something along the lines of "Mario's a bad character, you will lose a good deal of the time. If you can't accept this, move on."

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Don't play Mario if you're not having fun with him. You'll never grow if you don't like the character.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
Don't play Mario if you're not having fun with him. You'll never grow if you don't like the character.
oh yeah that's f()cking true man^^
mindgames are the key for winning(like for all the other characters)
but especially for mario
try to find new mindgames and keep them always fresh in your fight^^
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

BSP

Smash Legend
tip 6: don't neglect fludd and abuse the cape.

edit-actually that's kinda like tip 1.

Matt07

Smash Master
Know your Counterpicks: Learning your opponents playstyles, there advantages and weakness can all help you pick your stage. Know what neutrals your weak at so you can strike them off, know what neutrals and stages the opponents characters is weak on. Abuse those tactics that makes Mario good on those stages, and take advtange of your opponent weaknesses on those stages.

But I guess that could be said for every character.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
I'll throw a couple out here I would like to see more people apply:

Experiment! You always need to try new things if you want to become the most dynamic player you can be. Stop falling into a routine where you stick to a game plan to win the match. Instead, try something completely new and see how it works out. Be extremely aggressive against that DDD, G&W, MK, or IC. Cape in absurd locations. Spam FLUDD more. Attack less. Charge more smashes. Do completely wacky things to not only throw your opponent's rhythm off, but learn what works and what doesn't. Don't play to win, play to improve.

Please note that this applies to friendlies, where you are practicing/training. Tournament matches are meant to be won, but by trying multiple 'stupid' scenarios beforehand you have a greater knowledge of what the outcome may be.

Stop trying to be like Boss other Marios. Find your own niche and improve upon it. By trying to emulate someone else instead of discovering things for yourself, you leave yourself open to multiple negative consequences: You do not fully understand why the player is doing what he is doing, you lose originality and sacrifice adaptibility, other players learn how to deal with your style simply by watching videos of other Marios, and the overall metagame for Mario stagnates.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Abuse Throws: Don't ignore throws! This is a basic rule for all characters, but I see a lot of Mario mains not grabbing as much as they should. If you can grab, then grab. Simple as that. All it is is free damage! Remember to down throw at lower percents to get opponents in the air - from there, take advantage of Mario's great juggling skills. Also, if your opponent is at an absurdly high percent (around 150), you can try and back throw for the kill.

On an unrelated note, I love number 6!

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
DO NOT GIVE UP- As a Mario, it's very easy to give up and throw in the towel espically how Brawl is a very momentum based game. It constantly shifts to neutral, advantage, disadvantage. When your in disadvantage, DO NOT GIVE UP. Do NOT GIVE 2 FLYING ****S WHO IT IS. If it's your idol, or rival, your worst matchup, don't give up. Many players give in so easily because they see a D3 or a Meta-knight, when they haven't realize what Mario can do and what you can do with Mario. The moment you give up is the time you lose hope and start to get worst.

DON'T GIVE UP GODAMIT!!!

Pierce7d

Wise Hermit
3DS FC
1993-9028-0439
Understand the weaknesses of your opponent's characters.

Mario has a lot of odd and unorthodox tools (Cape, FLUDD) as well as a nice set of solid tools (Bair, Jab, Fireball). Learn how to hit your opponent where it hurts. You must attack the enemy's weak point for massive damage.

Veggi

Smash Champion
Fireball is actually up there with FLUDD and cape as far as unorthodox moves are concerned. It has a lot of vague uses beyond just camp with them. They can be used for many different reasons.

Kingkira

Smash Rookie
Agreed with Piece, learn the recovery and gimping tactics possible for each character, and use those fireballs to gimp too : ), even though they might not work 100% but it'll still throw them off, for a easy kill :D

If you can't do something well, practise, practise and practice until you get the technique down. be sure to switch up your fighting styles : ) frequently, agressive defensive ..etc

Fire!

Smash Champion
NNID
Fire149
3DS FC
2809-9924-8928
Get into the habit Stutter-Stepping and angling your Forward Smashes. You'll be surprised how much more range and power you'll have.

(And watch the video guide :D)

condemned_soul

Smash Champion
Get into the habit Stutter-Stepping and angling your Forward Smashes. You'll be surprised how much more range and power you'll have.

(And watch the video guide :D)
That should be put up on that board....I do that all the time and sometimes I catch people right before the grab the edge even when they time their recovery right

Top Bottom