• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips for Advanced Snake player going up against an Advanced Olimar

Tr3ndkill

Smash Rookie
Hey, I play my friend (Olimar) on Final Destination using Snake almost daily. It used to be pretty even, but he has learned some really good counters to my moves in addition to some extremely effective aerial combos (upwards of 40% damage at a time).

What are some good tactics to use on a good Olimar? I know to stay back and use grenades, but he knows exactly how I play and often rushes in for a close range attack. I don't like to lay mines since its so easy to mortar-slide into them. I use lots of C4's and nikitas, but he effectively chain grabs me and sends me into the air, where he proceeds to combo the hell out of me.

What can I do to add some unpredictability to my arsenal, considering the enemy I am facing?

Cecilanius

Smash Journeyman
Haha, look at my match I did with my friend http://youtube.com/watch?v=qyU8gLmFR2s

You can study the mistakes I made during that match. That might help.

Umm.. some advice...

If your friend likes to charge. I would use the shield drop grenade trick frequently and roll away. Just to make him stop. :p (at least he doesn't grab as much as my friend. He grabs even more thanks to someone from the Olimar forums. He basically spams it now.)

I think I know what combo you are talking about...dgrab then fair and repeat right? All I can say is to airdodge as fast as possible, away from Olimar.

The thing is, you have to hurt yourself a lot when facing Olimar by using grenades. But, if you are matched in percentage. (For example, around 100) If you ftilt, Olimar is dead because of his light weight. If you get stuck in Olimar's uair, grenades or just fast falling while air dodging is your only choice. I wouldn't even trying using other attacks through it.

I wouldn't try to use the snakedash as much. I always get grabbed out of it. Mines are pretty important in my opinion when facing Olimar. But, eh, it depends on the person. Just place them right near the edge.

Jumping into an air dodge is probably the safest way to get away from Olimar. It's one of the things I thought about recently. I need to get away around the grab spam.

Put all your explosives right next to the Olimar if they are off the edge. The Olimar can't do much about it when you place all of your explosives there. Or you know...when Olimar is trying to grab on...just hang on to the edge. :laugh:

The Usmash can be very useful if Olimar uses Fair a lot. I think it might be able to stop the grabbing if used at the right time.

Good luck to you!

Oh and by the way...there is a match up thread which has techniques in it.

Tr3ndkill

Smash Rookie
Well my friend does charge a lot, which I've learned to effectively counter, but its his throws that really make me mad-especially cause he chain grabs. He always dgrabs then fairs exactly as you said. So whip out a grenade and hope he hits it and causes it to explode? I use that trick a lot on faster characters (ie. Sonic) but i rarely find myself doing it against Olimar, maybe I should try it out sometime.

I try to stay out of the air since he has good combos and can completely predict anytime I try to use a bair or nair on him. And I think I need to start upsmashing more, since he himself told me its effective on him.

I actually use lots and lots of nikitas, not really spamming, but theyre essential to my Snake game. I think I need to do less of those and try something else.

Next time I play him, I think I'm going to film it, my only question is- do you just set up a camera? Or is there a special way to film it? I'm assuming the only other way is the SD card.:psycho:

Cecilanius

Smash Journeyman
Well, I have been using a camera to record my videos. It doesn't matter what you use. As long as it looks good I guess.

FreakoFreako

Smash Apprentice
@That vid, I'm not really experienced against Olimar since none of my friends main him. But, wouldn't hugging or edgehog be a lot more effective than mine at the edge? When my friend uses Olimar, it's my favorite thing to do.

Cecilanius

Smash Journeyman
@That vid, I'm not really experienced against Olimar since none of my friends main him. But, wouldn't hugging or edgehog be a lot more effective than mine at the edge? When my friend uses Olimar, it's my favorite thing to do.
It is. But, I've had those moments where I got stage spiked from Olimar's UpB. I'm getting used to the timing now.

Second, my friends freak if I hug the edge. I am used to just using a bunch of explosives near the edge. If I face someone else, I usually edgehog. I'm just afraid of my friends flipping out and causing trouble. :laugh:

Vlade

Social Outcast
Yeh I find Olimar's recovery his downfall because it is simple to just walk off the edge and DI back towards it to hog the edge. The main way I get my kills against them.

Binx

Smash Master
I would use a lot of mortor slides, olimar has a good grab range though so be careful because he can grab you out of them, another thing you can try is to run at him like you are going to mortor slide, spot dodge then forward tilt him after he whiffs his grab.

I would probably almost never use a nikita vs anyone unless its to try and edgeguard or against someone with no projectile who moves slowly, like DK or Ike. Space well with up tilts and forward tilts, against olimar I think grenades are less usefull because he has such a high damage projectile against you, he can peg you with one nearly every time you pull a grenade and they sometimes do around 20%, all in all olimar is a b*tch.

Top Bottom