• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tips and Tricks for charizard players (from my experience) *OLD*

Mysterious Potato

Smash Cadet
I know this is kind of out of the blue, but I haven't really noticed too many charizard players but here's a list of stuff I found useful for charizard. Hope this helps :)

1 reverse nair- approach (really helpful)

2 up tilt can juggle and also be used as quick over head protection

3 dash into jab ( to do so, you must dash -> flick down -> and jab or you can dash -> and press diagonal back down and then jab) jab can also juggle a bit this is almost always a must use lol

4 side smash - good punisher in some cases and overall has good range imo but this is only if you feel comfortable with throwing this out there lol

5 up smash for over head protection

6 down smash for tech chase

7 b up oos, try to avoid this when the opponent is at a low percent you'll get punished for doing so, however at a higher percent this can be very dangerous

8 nair oos helps most when the enemy is behind you but fair oos if in front

9 some cases dair oos

10 dash attack can be substituted for most situations where you can use side tilt during a combo, and in some cases if you attack with the weaker part of this the enemy will be sent upwards instead of to the side creating combo opportunities

11 heat wave can be utilized in a way where you can use it backwards and then turn it around to attack forward, by doing this you can gain the boost of moving back whereas if you use it normally you won't move back as much ( I find this really useful in some situations)

12 falling uair can be useful sometimes

13 down throw -> tech chase dsmash -> jab -> jab -> usmash -> shffl uair -> b down -> uair -> b up is extremely effective for me on some characters of course but can rack up a ton of percent or even kill

14 back throw chaining into a d throw tech chase followed up with either another down throw or a down smash, Id recommend to NOT down smash against floatier characters

like luigi

15 if weak point of fair sends enemy slightly diagnol up then follow up with glide attack but make sure you can land safely lol

16 mix up your recovery options- glide then turn around cancel above ledge then nair if spaced well then the tip of it can help you get onto the stage safetly - glide

and cancel right before the ledge - heat wave away from ledge to go towards the ledge - glide attack into the ledge to cancel glide attack by grabbing the ledge

17 ledge options- use your invincibility frames to charge with fair - glide stalling, gliding into ledge and grabbing onto it to... well, stall - jump away from ledge and nair or bair whichever suits better - glide from ledge and charge in with glide attack - glide from the ledge but just cancel it which is basically another way of pressing forward when on ledge

18 not much but if you roll all the way to the ledge and use flamethrower, the flamethrower will get cancelled and you will grab the ledge

19 ledge guarding with the nair 2*, and sweet spot d tilt

20 down tilt non sweet spot can help set up combo opportunities usually: down tilt -> u smash

21 fair overall has decent range and is deadly at even 80% for most with the strong point, and the attack itself can be used early on to always result in a sweetspot pretty much

22 not much but if you are doing u air to b up know that most of the time it will not kill until 70+%

23 mainly for up against luigi,avoid using b up to finish unless its oos because you would want to keep your spacing with the top of the u air

24 down smash can be used to punish

25 gliding can help by moving out of some attacks

26 if you glide attack down into an enemy whos shielding and the glide attack gets cancelled because you reached the ground then grab or move outta the way

27 if an enemy is high up and kind of to the side then a b down -> sweetspot bair can be really effective

28 obvious but know when you should jump or when to use b down

29 when a platform is above you and the enemy is really high up what you could do is b down -> waveland onto platform -> b down for even more height

30 when you use an up throw and a platform is above you, you will hit the platform which helps kill a lot faster

*nair 2 is just referring to the part of the nair where towards the end of the attack the tip sends the enemy to the side

let me know about your thoughts on this or if there's any way of improving this/ adding onto this list
also sorry if some parts are unclear i made this list pretty quick

MaxThunder

PM Support
easier way to dash into jab is to roll the stick from the direction you're dashing in to bakwards diagonal down and hit a... cause if you hold the stick diagonally down backwards you'll crouch but for some reason jab if you hit a=P...

oh and you can up-b into a ceiling and hold forwards to move forwards... on a lot of stages this can let you do a reverse sweetspot from under the stage=P...

kinda hard to do, though... but nobody would ecpect you to survive there=D...

Mysterious Potato

Smash Cadet
oh wow i never knew about being able to dash into a jab like that
and as for the up-b into a ceiling, that seems pretty cool :)
thanks

metroid1117

Smash Master
A lazier (but more unorthodox) way to dash-cancel jab is to set your C-stick to Attack, which lets you do jabs by C-sticking diagonally. Dash-canceled jabs, then, are inputted by dash -> crouch -> C-stick diagonal.

NightShadow6

Smash Journeyman
Another thing that could be added is if you do a dair then to fly dair, it will send them straight to the ground.

If they tech you should have ample time to react and punish accordingly. If they don't tech you can bait out a get up attack by descending near them and jumping. (So many possibilities if you are coming down from anything actually)

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
Tipps and Tricks for charizard players:

either go for mass reverse nairs or dashdance camping. If none of the above work, ragequit.

Mysterious Potato

Smash Cadet
@nightshadow6- dair to fly dair can be good only if you cant just go straight for the kill after the first dair, so if their percent is like 60% and you dair then just fly and u air -> b up
@yomi-no-kuni- lol yea reverse nair FTW

Merfect

Learn your true self
NNID
Merfectman
Yes! These are all very important notes! Something that I like to do sometimes when me and my opponent are in the air and I miss the sweet spot of the Fair and end up hitting the soft spot, I jump away from my opponent and immediately hit them with a Bair for the kill. Also, I find the Bair to be useful as a ledge option every now and then. One more thing, you can Wavebounce the Glide Cancel. I use this sometimes to fake out my opponent when I'm recovering (or just for the heck of it) and I use it whenever I glide under the stage and recover on the other side.

MaxThunder

PM Support
oh i remembered something... something i saw someone talk about, though i do not remember who...

pushing away from the ledge to let go of it and then jumpiong to turn around and doing a reverse nair can be really good sometimes=P...

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
There's an AT that might be hard enough to the point where it's not practical (not sure), but if you jump and then immediately glide attack under the platform, if the timing is right, it'll look like you did a longer and faster than normal waveland as the glide attack gives you momentum but instantly lands.

So hit jumb down B A really fast... it's easier to do on Dreamland since the low platforms are higher, but it can be done on Battlefield as well, so it likely works on most/all stages but with slightly different timing

I do it sometimes but mess up a lot... it's pretty fast and works pretty well when I don't screw up though.

I found this on my own and just figured this was known before, but I showed it to metroid and he didn't seem to know about it. (At the Eau Claire tournament... my tag was either Goku or Satan, not sure)

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
You might be right, but I normally use it to gain some horizontal ground for a surprise fast falling fair/bair after using the "waveland" to slide right off the platform... I think the lag is canceled if you slide off(?) ...I might be wrong, not sure.

It might be the case that I'm actually experiencing the lag and then running the rest of the way off the platform, but it feels fast, so I don't think that's the case. Though, yeah, if you you don't fall off, it's probably not as useful. Does anyone know the landing lag of his glide attack off hand? (sorry if this is somewhere in the Charizard boards already)

The reason I think this is different from what I THINK you are taking about (angling the glide downwards and using it when you're near the ground), is that I'm slightly under the platform and I glide attack immediately after going into glide, rather than taking the time to adjust the angle.

Edit:
I made a video to show what I mean since it wasn't clear.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFH7iKAYPJQ

Mysterious Potato

Smash Cadet
thats pretty interesting ill look into a lot next time i practice but it looks really useful and by the looks of it you can drag the enemy with you off the platfom with the weak parts of the glide attack and perhaps connect with fair? idk just a guess, but ill look into it.

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
yeah, looks like you platform cancel the glide attack and then edgecancel it.

pretty much the same thing i'm talking about, except yours is ****ing awesome and mine sucks :D
great find! If you can pull that of reliably that'd be ****ing incredible!

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
Thnaks for the praise :)

It says it on the youtube video as well, but it can be done to get across the higher platform quickly as well, if you're on one of the lower ones. To do: simply run off the lower platform and when falling glide attack almost right away. This should also give you an idea of how low charizard is when he does the glide attack for this glide-land to work... you're pretty far under the platform.

You can also go off a platform, fast fall for a bit and then reverse glide attack back over the platform, and if you don't hold away from the platform and/or you're not on a level with an abnormally long platform, then you'll still ledge cancel the glide land back on the other side of the platform you just ran off.

I can make a vid to show the two if you want, since it might be easier to see the timing that way.

MaxThunder

PM Support
Yeah that's on number 17 already lol
oh i didn't know you meant turning around there... could be worded a bit better...

thats pretty interesting ill look into a lot next time i practice but it looks really useful and by the looks of it you can drag the enemy with you off the platfom with the weak parts of the glide attack and perhaps connect with fair? idk just a guess, but ill look into it.
if you hit someone with it then i think they can generally hit you while you're in lag... not completely sure, though... and my experience is from doing it by accident on wifi so it's not too reliable=P...

Mera Mera

Smash Journeyman
It is certainly very hard to do... and I've never tried to use it when people were in a position to get hit from the glide attack, but I don't think they would get sent anywhere... Since you slide off, there isn't really lag, so it still might be safe though. Maybe nair would catch them if they were on the platform and bair if they just happened to be under the platform but high enough to get hit by the glide attack.

Mainly I would just use it for movement.

@MaxThunder: You might be right, since the timing is very tight. It helps to note that you actually need to do the glide attack upwards to get it to work, so if you hold down from the down B you have to hit A RIGHT AWAY (before you adjust the angle down too much)... the timing might be more lenient if you let go of the joy stick right after hitting down B though (not 100% sure on this).
Edit2: oh I thought you meant that the technique wasn't reliable since it was too hard to do... I misread it, sorry.

Edit1: I'll add that my tech skill is only okay and I had almost zero tech skill until the past 6 months or so (I knew how to wavedash before and that's about it... and even that, I didn't really know when to use it)
But despite this, after a couple of hours of practicing, I can do this technique 9 times out of 10 on Dream Land... at Battlefield I can do it 1/3 times... so significantly worse chances.

Sure, 9/10 isn't good enough to use confidently in tournament, but it'll probably get there for Dream land... for other stages, I'm not so sure.

Mysterious Potato

Smash Cadet
after messing around with this on a few stages i found that if you're on the ledge in warioware, you can glide to the platform and if done right you'll slide off the very end of the platform, just thought it was worth noting...

Yomi-no-Kuni

Smash Lord
Yeah, i just got 2.6 on my wii and wanted to try this out.
seems pretty nice, after 5 minutes of trying i can get it done every once in a while, but nowhere near confidently.
I think this is even better if you come from above. If you start the glide after falling through the platform you can still do the glideattack to "glidedash"/"glideland" on the platform and ledgecancel it.
If you can learn to do that, you can use it on every platform, since the distance from the ground doesn't matter.
Also, ledgehop into glide and landing on platform(with edgecancel) seems to be quite easy on dreamland. very risky move, but you'll get the glideattack and a followup from it if your opponent isn't quick enough. I think this technique is really worth it, if you learn it and know how to implement it it'll be good for a ton of mixups

Top Bottom