• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Time Travel

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I just built a time machine. I'm just about to go test it out by setting it 40 seconds in the past. Wish me luck!

maskedboy09

Smash Rookie
People, trying to mess with the boundaries of the time-space continuum, will more than likely have consequences if they went forwards or backwards in time.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Well, there are a couple of theories on this:

1: we never encounter people from the future because of one limitation, you can only go as far back as to when you turned a time machine on. We don't even have a time machine, so we don't have time travel backwards.
2: The greatest threat from time travel is when you mess around with the simplest of laws of nature that the law itself is it's own definition, cause and effect. Mess around with it, and you create a paradox. The effects of one of these are unknown, but could be devastating.
3: we also don't know what happens when you meet yourself at another time. There could be a weird physics quirk preventing such events from happening, Nothing would happen, the Back to the future theory that it would create a paradox itself, or hilariously (and what did happen), both of yourselves wold faint.
4: If we had time travel, there would be a bunch of refugees, as when the end of the universe (Or the end of this era of the universe) approaches, Humanity or some other sapient species would just go back to another time. Eventually, this would be much more mass than the universe can handle and the entire process could just repeat itself until the day the time machine was invented came.
5: Officially, we live in a 4D universe, 3 spatial ones (Up&down, Left&right, & forwards&back), and 1 temporal one.
6: We don't really have the ability to jump to another universe either, as the only way to do so is through worm holes, and you can't use those because:
A: You'd die
B: if you didn't die, you don't know where the exit is, which could be the middle of a star, a black hole, or the planet Zebes when it's about to explode (Metroid reference).

In the end, just hope it doesn't happen in your lifetime, or we discover how to warp to other dimensions without dying and knowing where the exit is.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Well, there are a couple of theories on this:

2: The greatest threat from time travel is when you mess around with the simplest of laws of nature that the law itself is it's own definition, cause and effect. Mess around with it, and you create a paradox. The effects of one of these are unknown, but could be devastating.
3: we also don't know what happens when you meet yourself at another time. There could be a weird physics quirk preventing such events from happening, Nothing would happen, the Back to the future theory that it would create a paradox itself, or hilariously (and what did happen), both of yourselves wold faint.
Ok, let us get something perfectly straight.
Time; Past, present, future. It is all encoded.
The future events will occur and is set in stone because of that of which it is, the future.
Past already happened, and present is current.

Lets say that I did have a time machine and I went to the past, I couldn't change the future because it is already written that something in the past and present had already been done. Therefore if I went back to the past and stole some gum, in the future it was written that I would go into the past and steal that particular pack of gum.

Even if I met myself in the past, I would know today at this very moment that I met myself in the past, because it is the future of the past.

The future is not bendable, it is stone and set, it can't changed, be altered or rewritten.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Thing is, even if time Travel is made, it will never be mainstream for the simple fact that people will continually go back in time and steal the plans from the guy who made it/everyone else after who stole the plans.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Thing is, even if time Travel is made, it will never be mainstream for the simple fact that people will continually go back in time and steal the plans from the guy who made it/everyone else after who stole the plans.
Then it was fate to do so, the future would of already said that those people were destined to steal those plans.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
Ok, let us get something perfectly straight.
Time; Past, present, future. It is all encoded.
The future events will occur and is set in stone because of that of which it is, the future.
Past already happened, and present is current.

Lets say that I did have a time machine and I went to the past, I couldn't change the future because it is already written that something in the past and present had already been done. Therefore if I went back to the past and stole some gum, in the future it was written that I would go into the past and steal that particular pack of gum.

Even if I met myself in the past, I would know today at this very moment that I met myself in the past, because it is the future of the past.

The future is not bendable, it is stone and set, it can't changed, be altered or rewritten.
unfortunately, reality isn't as set in stone as one would like it to be (if you're reading this creationists/intelligent design proponents, go **** yourselves), and it is possible to mess with it (in theory). If you were to go to the future, you (in theory) can **** it up, you could just go back and do something else, thus dodging your mistake (provided that it wasn't the motivator, as you would create a paradox, as I will explain later). The past, that can cause more problems.
Let's just say that you went back in time to stop JFK's assassination (It's Oswald people), and were successful. Unfortunately, because Kennedy lived, you would have no motive to go back in time, so Oswald will go unhindered to kill Kennedy. But you went back in time to stop him, but... and that could **** the entire universe. In theory, you could have instead, warped to another dimension and altered history there, thus not ****ing your own timeline, but the risks are tremendous, so that isn't an experiment I would try.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
unfortunately, reality isn't as set in stone as one would like it to be (if you're reading this creationists/intelligent design proponents, go **** yourselves), and it is possible to mess with it (in theory). If you were to go to the future, you (in theory) can **** it up, you could just go back and do something else, thus dodging your mistake (provided that it wasn't the motivator, as you would create a paradox, as I will explain later). The past, that can cause more problems.
Let's just say that you went back in time to stop JFK's assassination (It's Oswald people), and were successful. Unfortunately, because Kennedy lived, you would have no motive to go back in time, so Oswald will go unhindered to kill Kennedy. But you went back in time to stop him, but... and that could **** the entire universe. In theory, you could have instead, warped to another dimension and altered history there, thus not ****ing your own timeline, but the risks are tremendous, so that isn't an experiment I would try.
Ok, let us say that I did. But since Kennedy died, it means that I would of failed. I couldn't be successful because in the past, I know that in the future Kennedy would be killed. No matter where you stand in time, there will always be a future ahead of that time, becuase of this, we cannot change it.

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
Mazaloth, out of curiosity, what makes you so certain that time functions this way? Correct me if I'm wildly off here, but there's still the theory of multiple time lines, in which it is suggested that an infinite number of time lines exist parallel to this one (I think I'm touching on what Charizard mentioned at the end of his last post). In this case, assuming you did have the technology to jump through time, it would be possible to go into the past and save Kennedy. You would just be jumping into a different time line—the one in which it has been determined that you will be there and that you will save him.

It may be true that you cannot change your own time line, but if you had a machine that could take you to another (which is really all any time machine would ever be meant for), anything and everything would be possible. Inevitable, even.

Takumaru

Smash Lord
If I had a time machine I would go back in time and assassinate the guy who made the time machine so that these discussions would remain theoretical.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I go back in time and tell myself to do what I've done in the future based off what I did in the past that my future self was referring to as stated before

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Mazaloth, out of curiosity, what makes you so certain that time functions this way? Correct me if I'm wildly off here, but there's still the theory of multiple time lines, in which it is suggested that an infinite number of time lines exist parallel to this one (I think I'm touching on what Charizard mentioned at the end of his last post). In this case, assuming you did have the technology to jump through time, it would be possible to go into the past and save Kennedy. You would just be jumping into a different time line—the one in which it has been determined that you will be there and that you will save him.

It may be true that you cannot change your own time line, but if you had a machine that could take you to another (which is really all any time machine would ever be meant for), anything and everything would be possible. Inevitable, even.
That's the cool part about quantums.
It is stated that there is infinite amount of dimensions that contain every possibility of history and time, right now in another dimension Hitler is fighting a war, for jews. In another Hitler has taken control of all of the UK.
At every given time, and every given possiblity has, is, and will happen in a dimension.

Time and alternate dimensions are different things.
Time in our dimension is impossible to travel. However, what about moving towards another dimension? If theory is correct, you moving to another dimension and time creates anothe dimension totally with different attributes. Not only that but dimensions are consantly being created.

Lazlo Falconi

Smash Cadet
Time and alternate dimensions are different things.
Time in our dimension is impossible to travel. However, what about moving towards another dimension? If theory is correct, you moving to another dimension and time creates anothe dimension totally with different attributes. Not only that but dimensions are consantly being created.
What if you found a portal to a parallel universe? What if you could slide to a thousand different worlds? Where it's the same year, and you're the same person, but everything else is different. I found the gateway!

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
What if you found a portal to a parallel universe? What if you could slide to a thousand different worlds? Where it's the same year, and you're the same person, but everything else is different. I found the gateway!
Well, there are several possible answers.
1. Blackholes/wormholes.
2. The God particle which is being found by CERN Laboratories.
3. Defying physics.

But, you are correct, if what theory explains, that there is such a dimension that exists like that.

maskedboy09

Smash Rookie
Messing with anything dealing with the laws of physics and such can KILL you and screw up everything, causing time paradox, which is of course, serious.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
Messing with anything dealing with the laws of physics and such can KILL you and screw up everything, causing time paradox, which is of course, serious.
Not a time paradox, merely a dimension paradox.
Which of course is fine because other dimensions have completely different laws of physics.

Messing with time is the same result just in a less major way.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
You left out the "Bill and Ted" theory, in which meeting your future self is fine, because in the future you'll meet your past self.

That show was awesome. I need to try and find DVD's for it.

Charizard92

Smash Champion
I already did have a "nothing will happen" part. You're saying something essentially similar to what I said.

Frown

poekmon
There is a theory that there are infinite universes. And that means that there are infinite universes that are copies of the past.

Now, we only need a way to travel between them...

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
There is a theory that there are infinite universes. And that means that there are infinite universes that are copies of the past.

Now, we only need a way to travel between them...
I said that.

Kevin

Smash Journeyman
I don't think it will be possible to travel BACK in time in the near future, but since going faster than the speed of light supposedly brings you forward in time, I believe that to be possible. I think it will be a one way trip though. How much time though, and whether or not it could ever happen, depends on our scientists and humanity's interests. What's the point of going forward in time if you can't come back to tell of it? vice versa too.

rockcrab100

Smash Cadet
If you go faster than the speed of light then doesn't your mass expand to something larger than than the universe?
An astroner explained something like that once on a field trip to an observatory

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
I don't think it will be possible to travel BACK in time in the near future, but since going faster than the speed of light supposedly brings you forward in time, I believe that to be possible. I think it will be a one way trip though. How much time though, and whether or not it could ever happen, depends on our scientists and humanity's interests. What's the point of going forward in time if you can't come back to tell of it? vice versa too.
No you have it reversed.
The speed of light is [So far of what we know] the fastest anything can travel. By exceeding this time itself starts to slow because the person that is traveling that amount of speed is so fast everything seems to be going slower.

Basically, Even though the 'outside' of that persons spectrum is moving at a constant speed of originality, the person him/herself is not, thus he travels backwards, to the past.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
I personally don't think Time Travel would be possible it just seems something that would make life impossible.

I mean, if time travel were possible, even at any point in the future, then how could we exist? When anyone could travel to the past and change the slightest thing and that would indefinately change our future.

With time travel being possible, the past would constantly be changed. There was a saying about this I can't remember but it was definately worth looking for it later.

Mazaloth

Smash Ace
I personally don't think Time Travel would be possible it just seems something that would make life impossible.

I mean, if time travel were possible, even at any point in the future, then how could we exist? When anyone could travel to the past and change the slightest thing and that would indefinately change our future.

With time travel being possible, the past would constantly be changed. There was a saying about this I can't remember but it was definately worth looking for it later.
Meow.
10Meows.

Lazlo Falconi

Smash Cadet
Well, there are several possible answers.
1. Blackholes/wormholes.
2. The God particle which is being found by CERN Laboratories.
3. Defying physics.

But, you are correct, if what theory explains, that there is such a dimension that exists like that.
Went way over your head apparently.

You left out the "Bill and Ted" theory, in which meeting your future self is fine, because in the future you'll meet your past self.

That show was awesome. I need to try and find DVD's for it.
Season 1 is on Hulu. Also Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure is a completely accurate representation of how time travel works.

We're actually closer to traveling back in time than to traveling the speed of light.

If you go faster than the speed of light then doesn't your mass expand to something larger than than the universe?
An astroner explained something like that once on a field trip to an observatory
You "stretch out" in a sense. But the biggest effect is that time dilates.
No you have it reversed.
The speed of light is [So far of what we know] the fastest anything can travel. By exceeding this time itself starts to slow because the person that is traveling that amount of speed is so fast everything seems to be going slower.

Basically, Even though the 'outside' of that persons spectrum is moving at a constant speed of originality, the person him/herself is not, thus he travels backwards, to the past.
It's actually faster than anything can travel, except light. Anything that attempts to travel as fast as light encounters the problem of needing infinite energy. And you have it reversed. As a person approaches lightspeed, they start slowing down. The universe around them goes at the same speed (though not at a "constant", time is relative). Someone traveling at near lightspeed would see everything speeding up around them, and when they came out of timespeed they'd be far in the future compared to the amount of time they had spent at timespeed.

Vorguen

Smash Champion
The only thing that seemed most possible to me was Orson Scott Card's take on time.. that somehow in Space travelling at many times the speed of light time might be altered and broken to the sense where you pass a few days but the rest pass many years..

Too complex for me to try to explain but yeah that's as best as I'll try lol.

Top Bottom