• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
My video skipped so I immediately got Robin thrown in my face. I almost didn't have time to compute it. But I was so happy to see them.

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
I suppose it's possible, but it rather looked like he just jumped after using it.
I actually thought the upward movement looked more unnatural than a jump would. almost like he was getting pushed by squirtles water attack, except upward...

Hong

The Strongest
Dear fellow Tacticians,

Today marks a wonderful day for not only us, but our long and exciting road of speculation. If you are like myself, you have supported the idea of Robin for Smash Bros from the moment you played Awakening. Others, may have joined along the way, and this thread convinced you to give her a chance. Just the same, many of you supported Robin even though you have not played Awakening for a moment. United were we in that we wanted a better Smash Bros. Maybe you just knew a Fire Emblem character would come, but you didn't want another blue-haired swordsman. Maybe you just enjoy Robin's design and the prospect of her in Smash Bros irregardless to the existing roster. Or maybe you just like Robin.

To the tireless supporters of Robin, I thank you for standing by my side, whether you've been with me for a year or just recently took solace in our ranks. I have made many friends in this thread... one of them I now talk to outside of SmashBoards every day and our bond continues to grow. You put logic and love for the character before all else. You wouldn't let the words of a proven fraud to dissuade you from the character you loved and believed in.

You remembered that Smash Bros is a game. Not just a game, but made by one of the veterans in the industry, who would go against all logic to include Chrom as a character, no matter what anyone told you. Of course he makes silly decisions all the time, but you were willing to give him just a little more credit. There are dozens of characters I could have asked for for Smash Bros and would vouch for them any day of the week, but it was only the Robin thread that I would frequent as often as I did, knowing I could find comfort in a community that would speak rationale and reason. How strong your will has been to give Robin a chance and stick through all the dark times.

Well, I have no words for you. Instead, our beloved will be speaking on my behalf:

Whether you have been supporting Robin for even longer than I have, or you just like the idea of Robin now that you have seen her, or perhaps you are just here because you didn't want to think the Gematsu leak was everything and now you are here to read the thread to celebrate knowing speculation is still alive, all of you are welcome. Similarly, if you had once considered Robin supporters as delusional, forced, in denial, or any of those, but you have been willing to come here and own up to your words, I'll hold you to heart as well as anyone.

But to anyone who would outright attack Robin supporters, flame us, troll us, and people who will still give us leery eyes:

You'll get no sympathy from me.

Love,

Hong

Scoob

Smash Apprentice
Well, Robin's in. My main has been decided. Nothing short of Bandana Dee's inclusion would shake my conviction. Gematsu is finally dead, praise be to based Sakurai!

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319

Sniff......I updated my roster....Now heres hoping for Bandana Dee. (The other newcomers I can exchange freely.)

Niko Mar

Smash Lord
So much Fire Emblem!

I'm really happy that Robin is in, especially since dat voice sounds awesome. Interesting mechanic too, with limited number of item uses. Well done slappermcsamurai.

Stage4Boss

Smash Cadet
If you watch the trailer closely you can see that the emblem on the thunder book changes as Robin charges it up. It is just after he is introduced at 1:25. Watch the book carefully.

Rioni

Smash Apprentice
Congrats to you supporters! I don't know much about Fire Emblem, but I do like the characters so I'm alright!

samsparta21

Smash Ace
I supported Robin more than I did Lucina. I was afraid Lucina would be a Marth clone, and she did end up being one. Robin on the other hand had magic and has a unique moveset.

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
Dear fellow Tacticians,

Today marks a wonderful day for not only us, but our long and exciting road of speculation. If you are like myself, you have supported the idea of Robin for Smash Bros from the moment you played Awakening. Others, may have joined along the way, and this thread convinced you to give her a chance. Just the same, many of you supported Robin even though you have not played Awakening for a moment. United were we in that we wanted a better Smash Bros. Maybe you just knew a Fire Emblem character would come, but you didn't want another blue-haired swordsman. Maybe you just enjoy Robin's design and the prospect of her in Smash Bros irregardless to the existing roster. Or maybe you just like Robin.

To the tireless supporters of Robin, I thank you for standing by my side, whether you've been with me for a year or just recently took solace in our ranks. I have made many friends in this thread... one of them I now talk to outside of SmashBoards every day and our bond continues to grow. You put logic and love for the character before all else. You wouldn't let the words of a proven fraud to dissuade you from the character you loved and believed in.

You remembered that Smash Bros is a game. Not just a game, but made by one of the veterans in the industry, who would go against all logic to include Chrom as a character, no matter what anyone told you. Of course he makes silly decisions all the time, but you were willing to give him just a little more credit. There are dozens of characters I could have asked for for Smash Bros and would vouch for them any day of the week, but it was only the Robin thread that I would frequent as often as I did, knowing I could find comfort in a community that would speak rationale and reason. How strong your will has been to give Robin a chance and stick through all the dark times.

Well, I have no words for you. Instead, our beloved will be speaking on my behalf:

Whether you have been supporting Robin for even longer than I have, or you just like the idea of Robin now that you have seen her, or perhaps you are just here because you didn't want to think the Gematsu leak was everything and now you are here to read the thread to celebrate knowing speculation is still alive, all of you are welcome. Similarly, if you had once considered Robin supporters as delusional, forced, in denial, or any of those, but you have been willing to come here and own up to your words, I'll hold you to heart as well as anyone.

But to anyone who would outright attack Robin supporters, flame us, troll us, and people who will still give us leery eyes:

Love,

Hong
Heh heh...

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
So, here's my reactions:

Naturally I was FREAKING OUT the entire time.
You actually sounded pretty calm to me (I cackled like a hyena during half the trailer). That laugh at Chrom during his remark was golden though.

Now if you will excuse me, I'm going to have this on repeat for the rest of the day.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
Quite disappointed with this decision, but congrats to the Robin fans! At least I know who my punching bag is for this game

In other words, did Levin Sword change to Bronze Sword during gameplay? Also, did I see Robin using dark magic?

DarkChaosGames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ereaven
Dear fellow Tacticians,

Love,

Hong
Let me celebrate by using a bunch of appropriate Chrom quotes.

"Are you ready?"
"As one!"
"You can do this."
"I got your back."
"It's alright."

Gematsu:
"This is it. Our final battle."
"Think Again!"
"Your end has come!"
"Anything can change!"

Supporters:
"Thanks, friend."
"I owe you."

Hong

The Strongest
Robin is the literal Jesus of SmashBoards right now.

Did you see that? How he descended from the Heavens? Robin never floated in Fire Emblem. No, this is the second coming of our lord and saviour.

The morning sun, here to vanquish this Gematsu night.

Also, he was kind of hot.

Graydient

Smash Cadet
I'm not sure if Robin was Sakurai's or IS's idea, but I'm glad it happened.

Not gonna lie, seeing Chrom lie there on the floor was the most entertaining aspect of the trailer for me.

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
If you watch the trailer closely you can see that the emblem on the thunder book changes as Robin charges it up. It is just after he is introduced at 1:25. Watch the book carefully.
You're right it changes from a lightning bolt to a crosshair looking thing! nice eye.

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
My theory is that his spells are all his B moves (Thunder is neutral, Fire is side, Wind is up, and Dark is down) and they can all be charged to become more powerful. The tome and swords come into play with his A attacks, his standard attacks gain different properties based on the tome he has out, but after he uses it up, he pulls out the Levin sword and uses that instead of the bronze one.

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
Chrom lying on the floor was Sakurai *****-slapping the leak.

Like, wow, that man is insane. Such trolling. And then he follows by wondering when Captain Falcon will get a new game of his own.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
My cheeks are sore from all the smiling and my voice is somewhat gone from the yelling. This day is perfect.

Inawordyes

Smash Lord
Guy, guys, guys, guys, GUYS, GUYS, GGGGGUUUUUYYYYYSSSSS

Okay, so first: Hi, I haven't been on in a while,

Second: I just woke up around maybe fifteen minutes ago, so I get on my phone and go to Reddit to check out the r/Smashbros to see who the newcomer is. I'm expecting it to be Shulk because of Sal, but as it's loading I say with a smug smile "It's going to be Ridley" and imagine the universe imploding. I was not too far from the truth in the second part, but oh man was I wrong in the first (sidenote: I have troubles sometimes with Smashboards loading, so I generally take the Reddit route first because it's faster to see what the PotD is).

I saw "FIRE EMBLEM DISCUSSION", and was like, "wait, whaaa", and then I scrolled down and saw the PotD, read it, saw Robin....

OH MY GOD, YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW HARD I CONVULSED IN PURE, UNADELTERATED JOY. IF I HAD JERKED BACK IN FORTH IN A LARGE VICTORY WHISPER EVEN HARDER THAN I HAD (YES, WHISPER, I AM STILL WAKING UP, HAHA) I WOULD HAVE LOST THE GRIP ON MY PHONE AND BROKE IT ON THE FLOOR.

So that brings me to Third: ALKSNUIOFDBHUFHADFLGHUIWEDULFJKADFIULWDI
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...Ahem, so then I read something in the comments about Chrom being in a final smash, so that's what I assumed the "revealed two FE characters" meant, but then I saw LUCINA, AND CAPTAIN FALCON, AND MY JAW DROPPED IN THE MOST SHOCKING, MOST OVERJOYED WAY YOU COULD EVER IMAGINE SOMEBODY DOING SO - divided by about eight because it wasn't all that spactacular, haha, but still - AND THEN I KNEW, AT THAT MOMENT, THAT I HAD TO RUSH TO THE SITE AND SHARE MY FEELINGS BECAUSE NOTHING, NO REVEAL, CHARACTER OR OTHERWISE, GOT THIS REACTION FROM ME - AND I DIDN'T EVEN WATCH THE VIDEO LIVE! SO I AM SURE THAT I WOULD HAVE BEEN FREAKING OUT.

FREAKING.

OUT.

----

We did it! WOOOOOOOOOO YEEAAAHHHH! All dem other Sal Supporters saying that the list was unchanging, and that there was no way that Chrom could have been a palceholder for Robin or Lucina, AND NOW WE GOT BOTH! Congrats to everybody here who made truly cared for a generic avatar and turned them into a character worthy of want and now THEY'RE IN SM4SSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I just have to say, too, that Shulk has been my #1 most-wanted for a long time, but with Sal's leak still being taken at about 90% correct, it's ruined my hype for him just a bit knowing that he's basically guaranteed in. However, this also means that two characters - Robin and Bandana Dee - rose to the top of my most-wanted and most-anticipated (outside of Shulk), so I do not believe I would have reacted this hard if it was Shulk, or even if it was Ridley, like I expected smugly as I mentioned before.

THE SCALES HAVE BEEN TIPPED, AND THEY ARE GLORIOUS. LONG LIVE THE AVATAR!

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
sorry the wording but...

****ING AMAZING!!!!!!!!

Now even if Ridley and Mewtwo doesn't make the cut (even though everything is posible) now im at peace with the roster since one of my absolutely top 3 made it in the game, in the way I wanted...(we even get Lucina somehow)

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Robin is the literal Jesus of SmashBoards right now.

Did you see that? How he descended from the Heavens? Robin never floated in Fire Emblem. No, this is the second coming of our lord and saviour.

The morning sun, here to vanquish this Gematsu night.

Also, he was kind of hot.
Just out of curiosity, how was your reaction of seeing Robin? (mine was screaming like a little girl and jumping around).

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
So basically Robin is Not-Platinum, due to the mechanic of switching to varies attacks but having a limit amount of usage with each attack.

I guess we're going back to copying Arc System Works after copying Capcom.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
My reacon: Standing up and saying "HOLY COW!!!" while holding my head in my hands. Then screaming and laughing.

Bauske

Pac-Maniac
NNID
Bauske
3DS FC
2878-9584-0314
I get a feeling Robin has limited usage of his tomes, but each one can be charged for a more powerful attack. What I mean by this is that his Up B is the Nosferatu, Standard B is Fire, Side B is Lightning, and I don't know what Down B is. Each one will be a specific tome, which you can use either in short bursts or charged shots. It looked like in the trailer he was doing a lot of charging, and at one point we saw him shoot a lightning beam across the stage, hitting for a powerful attack and knocking three characters into the air.

So think of it like this: Each tome has 30 points. Tapping the button to do a weak attack would cost 1 point while holding the button to charge for a medium attack would cost 3 points. Holding it even longer would grant a strong attack but cost 5 points. So you could do 30 weak attacks before the tome was used up, or 10 medium attacks, or 6 strong attacks. Then, once the tome is used up, Robin would have a short "recharge" period before he could get another tome and use those moves again. Maybe when he uses up a tome, that's when his sword changes?

This is all speculation, but I'm trying to take into account the fact that they're removing a lot of the random aspects of the battle. By having limited uses on a tome and by having its power usage be chosen by the player for light, medium, and heavy attacks, that gives an element of randomness, but to pros would create a lot of deep strategy of which moves to use where and keeping a mental count of how much power your tome has left.

Would be interesting.

My theory is that his spells are all his B moves (Thunder is neutral, Fire is side, Wind is up, and Dark is down) and they can all be charged to become more powerful. The tome and swords come into play with his A attacks, his standard attacks gain different properties based on the tome he has out, but after he uses it up, he pulls out the Levin sword and uses that instead of the bronze one.
Hah, slightly :4greninja:'d.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Thou shall not believe the false sheperd, he shall mislead you into the path of darkness, do not listen to the chorus, do not believe n the fake light that comes from the blade, when our savior descends from the heavens bringing the thunder and light to slay the false prophet, however, he cannot do it alone, with the help of a friend, the false sheperd shall be casted into eternal darkness and in this day we celebrate...

neohopeSTF

Smash Journeyman
NNID
abcdefgf
Switch FC
SW-0259-5915-4107
Robin looks good model and animation wise! I'm worried that he might be a more luck based character, like with the tomes and how they cycle. Just gotta wait for more info on it I guess.

Top Bottom