• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I will change my avatar (and main) to Robin later this day, when the site has stopped crashing so frequently. Seriously, I'm still shaking after what I just saw.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
edit: crashboards. :/

Anyway, congratulations Robin supporters. I'm certainly happy. <3

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
"Gematsu ist tot. Gematsu bleibt tot. Und wir haben ihn getötet!" -Robin Nietzche.

M23-X0

Smash Journeyman
I have one question : where does the sentence "time to tip the scales" came from ? Because Robin says the exact same things in the trailer.

PS : I played the french version, with japanese voices, so I may not know.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Robin is by far the most complex character in Smash, next to Rosalina. We can't even begin to decode the enigma which is Robin.

We need Mashpatato Samurai for some answers.

Shradow

Smash Rookie
Yeah, Standard Special makes sense, not sure why I was thinking it was a Smash Attack.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
I would've preferred Grima's Breath, to tell the truth.

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I have one question : where does the sentence "time to tip the scales" came from ? Because Robin says the exact same things in the trailer.

It's one of his/her critical hit quotes in English.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Not rude enough to post this in the Chrom topic, so here.

Yeah, it's a quote from the English version. Robin says it when he uses an attack skill or critical in battle.

Bosspon

The Boss of Pon
NNID
KingofSayains
Congrats guys! Robin was one of my most wanted and, while I've spent the entirety of my time since creating this account in the Shulk support thread, I'm very hyped and excited for all the Robin fans out there! :)

Jave

Smash Ace
NNID
Javeman
Oh man, this is awesome. So much Fire Emblem love in that trailer.

I'll be maining Robin for sure. And congrats to all supporters!

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I am so sorry for shooting you guys down. Robin looks fun as hell. A breathe of fresh air. Congrats to you all!

I don't think Gematsu is entirely dead yet though. Still doesn't explain Robin over Chrom though.
Technically we got Chrom but we call him Lucina. Seriously, Lucina's pose looks exactly the same as Chrom's official art.

Sad to say, Lucina is the first newcomer I'm not too thrilled about... but I'm very happy with Robin. He looks fun and unique... like how he fights while reading a book at the same time. So awesome! :awesome:

Congratulations to the Robin supporters!

Jakatsu

Smash Apprentice
Robin, like Palutena, shouts out the magic they use to help the player keep track of what they are using. I think Robin will make use of the customization feature heavily, using different types of spells for their custom specials. Each special can be charged into a bigger form, and then the tome becomes unusable until next stock. This allows for all the different specials we saw, without mapping a single type to each direction.

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
Yeah, Standard Special makes sense, not sure why I was thinking it was a Smash Attack.
Well, in that last slow motion moment with all four FE characters, I think Robin is definitely using an Up Smash, which appears to be Bolganone or some powerful fire magic. It's not an Up-B, and it seems a bit too big for a UTilt, but... If it has small knockback, then perhaps it COULD be a UTilt. It just seems a bit dramatized in Robin's movements, so I think it's likely an Up Smash. It could be either one, though.

SomewhatMystia

Smash Lord
NNID
SomewhatMystia
3DS FC
2750-1555-1721
Robin, like Palutena, shouts out the magic they use to help the player keep track of what they are using.
I really think (hope) that was all fluff for the trailer, because as cool as it'll be the first X times, it'll get old fast.

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
My guess is that that Robin just has access to all of the spells and the tome just changes when he uses the move.

Neutral B is the chargable Thunder->Elthunder->Arcthunder->Thoron, and how Robin uses it after Arcfire may mean its storable. Or Arcthunder is a separate move, like side B.

Arcfire is a tough one, honestly looks like U smash to me especially at the end, but its weird since it also looks like a projectile. Maybe it's a custom option.

Nosferatu looks like the grab pummel, maybe its like Ivysaur's in PM.

Elwind as Dair as previously mentioned, and a wind multihit move looks like a jab3 with finisher.

And as someone whose played FE:A extensively, the fact that Robin's using some many magic attacks and the Levin sword makes me think that Robin's normals and melee attacks are rather weak. Doesn't help that the other sword is only a bronze sword, which is one of the weakest swords in the game.

I like the weapon uses idea though. The tomes run out for sure, but maybe the same can be applied to the Levin Sword since that's a relatively rare weapon.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
Congrats!!
Robin turned out better than I expected. You guys knew what you were talking about!

D3monicWolv3s

Smash Ace
Might I remind you that Gematsu has predicted
-Mega Man
-Wii Fit Trainer
-Little Mac
-Pac-Man
-Mii Fighters
-Palutena
-Greninja (partially)

And Chrom was even shown in the Lucina/MU trailer.

The fact that he says Lucas is "likely" to get cut is a clear sign he got his information before the roster was finalized, probably when Chrom was still being considered as a fighter
Mega Man - Not hard to predict
Wii Fit Trainer- Only one I'd give him credit on
Little Mac- Beloved retro character who got a wii game recently, and appeared in brawl
Pac-Man- Namco is working on the game.
Mii- Didn't say there were three different ones so I'm not giving him credit on this at all
Palutena- Sakurai worked on the game, and was a popular choice to guess.
Greninja- Used a blanketed x/y pokemon as a guess.

So Fire Emblem and Pokemon the hands down hardest to predict series he got wrong and left vague.
(Also I believe it was stated that all characters were chosen at the beginning of development)

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Might I remind you that Gematsu has predicted
-Mega Man
-Wii Fit Trainer
-Little Mac
-Pac-Man
-Mii Fighters
-Palutena
-Greninja (partially)

And Chrom was even shown in the Lucina/MU trailer.

The fact that he says Lucas is "likely" to get cut is a clear sign he got his information before the roster was finalized, probably when Chrom was still being considered as a fighter
People are referring to the second Gematsu leak as "dead". He did not predict Greninja, he said a XY Pokémon would be playable and honestly, this wasn't hard to guess, after Lucario becoming playable when DPPt was still fresh. Palutena was leaked far before than Sal Romano mentioned her (yes, the 3DS pics, the model looks a bit different, but anyone who knows how gaming development works knows that character models change during the development). The first part of the leak is obviously legit, but the second sounds unlikely as hell now, since Chrom was 100% disconfirmed.

Jakatsu

Smash Apprentice
It's strange, because we see Robin charging tomes in the trailer, but we also see him launch Thoron without charging as well.

If the tomes aren't custom specials in this trailer, then it seems that, potentially:

Neutral B-Thunder
Side B-Thoron
Down B-Fire

Which leaves the many other magical attacks as normal moves, and to lose access to normal moves ala Olimar might be a possibility, but could really hurt Robin if the only way to regain tomes it through a stock.

Last edited:

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
Something I'm wondering is if Robin has the ability to shoot short projectiles with just the Levin Sword, since it was a projectile sword. Maybe something like Palutena's up-smash or whatever. It just makes me curious of how close to Levin's nature they are going to stay.

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
I think the "taunt" at 1:25 is actually the charging to differentiate thunder with arch thunder elthunder and such

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Guys.... we did it! WE MADE IT!!!! *sniff*

Not only do we have Robin, but also the Gematsu is mortally wounded!

Hokori

Great King of Evil
With how complicated things are with Robin (I like complicated when it comes to characters :)), a lot of the discussion will be pure speculation. Some moves seem pretty clear on what they'll be though.

I'm sure we'll get some clarification in the upcoming days via PotD. I'd love for the issue regarding tome/weapon selection to be cleared first.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357

Let's celebrate.

(Replace Brazil with Gematsu and Germany with Sakurai and you get the idea.)

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
This is not entirely "BE HAPPY." Imagine what Sai's reputation will be like after this.
Still, I am VERY, VERY happy that Robin got in.

Xinc

Smash Lord
NNID
xincmars
3DS FC
2981-7601-8481
It's probably not a taunt since it was switched automatically. It's possible there's like some button combo, like down B to switch tomes. And it might work in the order: Wind>Fire>Lightning.

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
With how complicated things are with Robin (I like complicated when it comes to characters :)), a lot of the discussion will be pure speculation. Some moves seem pretty clear on what they'll be though.

I'm sure we'll get some clarification in the upcoming days via PotD. I'd love for the issue regarding tome/weapon selection to be cleared first.
Watch Sakurai troll us with a Lucina picture. xP

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549
First Sakurai trolls us with the Rayman trophy. Then he trolls us by showing us Arena Ferox (did anyone honestly not think it was Chrom?). Then he trolled me by revealing Lucina. When I finally saw Robin I was screaming like a little girl.

I'll definitely be maining Robin now. It feels so good to officially be able to say that.

Lugubrious

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lugubrious
It seems like I am alone in thinking that Elwind is Robin's up-special, seeing as shooting the wind down seemed to push him upward in the trailer.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
This is not entirely "BE HAPPY." Imagine what Sai's reputation will be like after this.
Still, I am VERY, VERY happy that Robin got in.
Sal simply got emailed by a leaker. Nothing came from him.

I think Sal got an early roster, one with Chrom in it, that has been changed since he leaked it.

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
I re watched the trailer a couple times. I think thunder is chargable into many different powerful forms and remains his neutral special. it seems archfire is only a smash attack

EDIT: nevermind arcfire is used in the air, looks like a side b, also seems to function like ness's pkf :3

also it looks like the color of the tome is only specific to the move previously used. you can use any type of magic with any type of tome equipped. they will just magically change color.
check the last part of the trailer when they reveal female robin

Last edited:

Hokori

Great King of Evil
So many new faces in this thread! Really though, the Robin supporters have been like a close-knit family, so this reveal was perfect. I really hope everyone comes to really love Robin and get introduced to the great series that is Fire Emblem if you haven't already! ^.^

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON WE WON!!!!!

I remember when I first joined this website... with my very first playable character predictions, I put Robin on the roster selection, rather than run-of-the-mill suggestions in Chrom or Roy. Do you know what I received in return? Flak, for not putting Chrom or Roy. "Robin is not a main character." "Robin is just another avatar." "Robin is already out-prioritized by popularity." Well... none of that seemed to matter in the end. Move-set potential and diversifying the roster did.

In reply to SaturnGamer64's skepticism, I provided my rationalization towards Robin's inclusion as a playable character and even used reference points from this thread (I do not remember if I posted this before, so if I have, I apologize in advance):

Truly, I believe the Avatar (or Robin, as you may prefer) is a far more advisably wise, excitably advantageous even, decision for Fire Emblem representation, rather than the mundane choices in Chrom or Roy. With the Avatar, you already have an essential aspect of Fire Emblem not already represented, that being a non-blue-haired tactician capable of not just swordplay, but also magic-using tomes. Therefore, you have a dual-wielding Fire Emblem character who is capable of not just close combat, but also long-range projectiles, which isn't yet showcased by the series in Super Smash Brothers. Also considering the Avatar's crucial importance within FE13's storyline, thus allowing the tactician the same major character rights as Chrom and Lucina.

With Chrom and Roy, however, you are simply left with a retreat of previously established Fire Emblem tropes. In Chrom's case, most either speculate one of two options. There is taking over Ike's status as the hard-hitting heavy-set fighter, but the idea of replacing an extremely popular character like Ike is beyond unimaginably ludicrous, so it isn't even an option worth considering. The other option, of course, is for Chrom to play as a middle-man - best of both of Marth and Ike's worlds, yet it may seem an unsatisfying choice to consider. Then you have Roy, who is already nothing more than an inferior clone of Marth, and would add nothing to the meta-game of Fire Emblem that Marth doesn't already provide. Of course, there is always the option of semi-cloning either Chrom and Roy, but again, it does nothing to establish the layered multitudes of diversification from the Fire Emblem universe.

As a result of the Avatar's general importance and potentially uniquely-inclined attributes, both qualitative and quantitative, he or she would bring far more essential aspects of what Fire Emblem has to yet offer, while Chrom and Roy deliver almost nothing else that hasn't already been provided for elsewhere by their counterparts.

Admittedly, it is only a skeletal structure, of what should be a main body of persuasive argumentation. I will, however, provide the rest of the meat and flesh as to the importance of the Avatar, all in carefully meticulous detail.

• Essential and important character in FE:Awakening
This is obvious, as the Avatar is not only a major character in Fire Emblem: Awakening (henceforth referred to as FE13), but also an integral plot-driven device that writes the entire story itself, even with a mirror-image counterpart acting as the final boss of the game. It is also equally obvious, however, that Chrom is another essential and important character in FE13. Both Chrom and Avatar are the main characters of their stories, occupying considerable amount of screen time in story-line cut scenes. Yet, Chrom is arguably more crucial from a financial standpoint, as he remains on various promotional advertisements, merchandising items, and marketing for FE13. So, how could the Avatar be considered over Chrom (or Roy, by extension)? Consider these two terms.

1. Lucina is just as marketable and promotional as Chrom, if not more-so within advertisements, yet most people seem already designated towards Chrom's inclusion over Lucina. So, commercial endorsements shouldn't be the sole factor rendering the Avatar useless, because then both Chrom and Lucina would be most certainly assured for the character selection of Super Smash Brothers 4. If you're going to have one over the other, then choice have to be made, as well as chances.

2. Precedence.

Let me explain, as follows.

•Extremely unique moveset potential involving FE tomes, swordplay, and possibly tactics.
•Aesthetically unique.
•Fills in gaps of representation in the FE roster (strategy, magic/tomes)

Consider the fact that Marth and Ike are both blue-haired swordsman main-lords who, while they play entirely differently from each other, only represent very few core aspects of the Fire Emblem universe. With Chrom, you not only add another blue-haired fighter, another swordsman, and another main-lord, but also nothing else at all that would give Fire Emblem any assortment of diversification. Within that time period, the series will gain a notoriously dubious reputation within the Smash community, a reputation built upon the structural foundations of repetition and redundancy. Eventually, everybody will start to predict blue-haired swordsmen main-lords in future installments of Super Smash Brothers (assuming there are sequels for both titles down the line) and lose interest because everything is same-old same-old. It will be infamous.

While I will not pretend to know the fascinatingly complex mind of Masahiro Sakurai (and nor should anybody else in this forum, for that matter), I do sincerely believe that, as Sakurai stated he is a fan of the series, he is aware of other core fundamental elements within the Fire Emblem, namely war-time strategy and various methods of attacking. I do believe Intelligent Systems is also aware of this, and with the Avatar's presence nearby, it would not go unnoticed.

With the Avatar, you have a playable Fire Emblem character who is not a blue-haired swordsman main-lord (gods, in terms of terminology, I have ran that well dry), but is a potentially unique character in possession of both a varietal array of attacks (swords and tomes) and an aesthetically unique dynamic (white hair and overcoat outfit). Chrom would be a sleep-inductively boring choice in place of a more exciting and productive decision made within the Avatar.

Considering the main character status of the Avatar, his/her inclusion as a playable character would not be out-of-place. This is a most opportunistically advantageous time to install a Fire Emblem character that would change the series landscape forever, within broad range and scope.

• Interesting personality and back story
Self-explanatory. The Avatar would not feel like an out-of-place fish on land with Marth and Ike.

• Represents the core elements of Fire Emblem, tactics, character, story differing classes/roles and warefare.
"I think the Avatar is a bad idea because it represents a feature that just debuted in Awakening and thus is not an important or iconic part of Fire Emblem History."
While you are technically correct in certain aspects, you are also technically wrong in many others. Indeed, the unique Fire Emblem starting class of the Tactician only just debuted within FE13, but consider now what the role not only means in a narrow sense of definition, but also broad. In a narrow sense, the tactician class is just that - a class. A story-line important main character class, nonetheless. However, consider now the expansively long-reaching implications of what the tactician represents, perhaps the most important essence of the entire Fire Emblem series.

The tactician is you. The tactician is not just a main character starting class on par with the lords, but also the commander of an entire army of soldiers, ready to fight for a rightfully just cause. The Avatar is the strategically-gifted, chess-playing, tactical grand-mastermind who must be responsible for several crucial decisions; the responsibility of commanding said army into battle with the consideration of the soldiers who fight those battles, and the life-saving or life-threatening strategies that may make-or-break the entire war; the responsibility within training individual fighters to their fullest potential, ranging from paladins and archers to generals and mages; the responsibility of financial arrangements within procuring the army's supplies, from a varietal selection of weaponry, to armory and accessories, to vulneraries and elixirs; and the responsibility of match-making several units together for supports, whether friendships, rivalries, or marriages. The Avatar is the ultimate representation of hours-long practice of menu-scrolling preparations for upcoming and ongoing battles, and the triumphs and tragedies of winning and losing. That is what the Avatar is to the history Fire Emblem - the skill and smarts of the player.

It actually happened.

For a man of many words, I am at a loss for any to hold meaning now, expect in the description of the experience of happiness. I am happy. In the first time for the longest time within the speculation scene of
Super Smash Brothers, I am happy. The traditional establishment of only blue-haired, main-lord swordsmen is finally broken. While I do sympathize with Chrom supporters, especially since that ending was a brutal kick in the ribs, Robin was the best possible result for a playable Fire Emblem character (as well as my future main). A fourth character in Lucina is a much-appreciated added bonus, one I did not expect but fully enjoy.

Also, the Gematsu Leak is deader than my suggestion for Robin DLC the combatants of the Battle of Belhalla (unless Chrom was scrapped in early development, which I somewhat doubt)... and so should the pessimism that prevailed prior to this astonishing announcement. Let us bask in the radiant glory of this fateful day. The scales of success have tipped for Robin, and for us.

The world is full of possibilities.

Last edited:

GuyWithTheFace

NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
As soon as this site stops going down every three seconds I'll switch my avatar to... Well, the Avatar. We did it guys!

Top Bottom