• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

foolssigma

Smash Ace
NNID
NYTims
Shulk may have not been revealed, but I have to say I was ecstatic when Robin appeared! Yes! Such a better character than Chrom and the video really put Chrom in his place. Ha, sorry I don't hate Chrom. I just don't want him playable and can't believe Robin is in. Can't wait to use him as one of my mains.

D

Deleted member

I'm going to change my avatar to Avatar(sorrynotsorry) when the official site starts working properly

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Today is a glorious day. I finally have a newcomer to be hyped about.

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
It looks like a sort of Legendary sword, would it just break with durability? That seems kinda lame to me...
Maybe you have the option of choosing between the two, maybe the blueish dagger gives more magic attack and the lightning sword gives more physical attack.

Shradow

Smash Rookie
I think his normal attacks use the Bronze Sword, while his Specials are the tomes at first, but when they're all out he switches to the Levin Sword (or maybe he can use either at will). The tomes may have a cooldown, or not come back at all until a new life.

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
I love how Robin says "I can only use them so many times." in the trailer, an homage to item durability in Fire Emblem.

Zwzchow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zwzchow8
3DS FC
1805-3193-2658
Congrats to Robin and Lucina supporters! :D
You guys destroyed the gematsu leak and brought back the hype feeling of having newcomers!

the obvious taunt to Chrom's deconfirmation

Sqa$

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bazaar
The two types of swords seem to be correlating to when he has his tomes out. When he has a tome out, he uses the bronze sword, making his play strongly based around the use of his magic. However, when he runs out of usage of his tomes, he draws his Levin Sword, which is a lightning based sword that looks like it has a lot more knockback and reach. Basically, it looks like the player can be switching between a projectile based game and a close combat based game: something a lot of characters lack.

And I also know this probably won't happen, but he was floating in the animated portion of the video, so I'm really hoping he has a float cancel or something like it.

Hokori

Great King of Evil
For Nosferatu, it's clear that Robin is recovering if you pay attention to the effects. That's what I believe at least. And of course, that would make sense since it IS Nosferatu.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Gematsu isn't dead, it's just outdated. He obviously knew SOMETHING, or else he wouldn't have predicted all of the other newcomers. I'm thinking he got his information VERY early in development, which is why he didn't know about Greninja or Rosalina, and Chrom was probably considered as a character then.

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
I love how Robin says "I can only use them so many times." in the trailer, an homage to item durability in Fire Emblem.
Agreed, but the "It's time to tip the scales!" entrance was certainly the best line in the video.

Anyway, another idea I just had...
What if just like in the game, the more you use a certain item, the more skilled Robin becomes in that area? Say you start out with the Bronze Sword. The more you hit your opponent with it, the more "skilled" he becomes, and eventually, he'll switch out for the Levin Sword. Then, with the tomes, you might start out with the basic wind, thunder, and fire, but then gradually advance to more powerful magic by using the tomes repeatedly. That could be interesting.

Shradow

Smash Rookie
Think Nosferatu might be his pummel when he's grabbing characters? That's the impression I was getting.

EDIT: Nvm, rewatched the trailer, his/her pummel is normal, and it's the one whree he's got his Bronze Sword in front of him/her.

Last edited:

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Gematsu isn't dead, it's just outdated. He obviously knew SOMETHING, or else he wouldn't have predicted all of the other newcomers. I'm thinking he got his information VERY early in development, which is why he didn't know about Greninja or Rosalina, and Chrom was probably considered as a character then.
....so you want it to be real?

Why.

edsett

Smash Apprentice
I knew that FE would get an Awakening rep and I was hoping for Robin over Chrom - and it happened. Congratulations!

soozafone

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4897-5980-1241
My guess right now is that Down-B will pull out a tome, like Link's bombs or Peach's turnips. Each tome will power up some number of attacks before it gets used up and discarded. They'll probably cycle in a set order. It looks like you can manually discard them too. Maybe they'll behave like "pummeling" type items, in that standard attacks don't cause you to throw them but you'll have to drop them to pick up items or grab.

Or I'm completely wrong.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I am so sorry for shooting you guys down. Robin looks fun as hell. A breathe of fresh air. Congrats to you all!

I don't think Gematsu is entirely dead yet though. Still doesn't explain Robin over Chrom though.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
My fellow Robin compatriots, lets not forget to gives thanks to glorious Captain Falcon for knocking out Chrom for us and securing our chances.

I hyped for Smash Bros. now.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I think I will become a premium member just to have Robin's artwork in the background of my posts :p

xLemmy_KoopaX

Bring me my booty!
NNID
xLemmy_KoopaX
I now have Avatar as Avatar.
YAAAY.
Anyway, I'm so happy we got Robin. Was my second most wanted behind Shulk.
And I really like how Sakurai and his team implemented Robin here. "I'm no ordinary swordsman" also sounded like a Take That! to the FE/Shulk/Isaac hatedom. The type of a weapon doesn't influence how unique a character is; there are enough figthing styles and powers to make a character unique. Shulk and Robin and Isaac are a perfect example for that.

Last edited:

Stalkos

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1977-0277-9521
CONRATS EVERYONE! Robin looks like a good addition.

No Levin sword gets pulled out in the cinematic. It's something you can summon or something for a limited time. I doubt changing colors would change your melee attacks like that. Levin sword had a audio/visual change than the normal weapon.
The sword must work the same way as the tomes then, changing and breaking.

This makes a lot of sense, because all the FE lords uses unlimited uses swords, but Robin are using weapons that really break in the game. So much love!

Last edited:

ToastMiller

Smash Apprentice
As far as moves are concerned it looks like he will MOSTLY use his sword for normal attacks, with a few exceptions: His dair looks like a wind attack and I think his fair was looking a bit magicky

as for specials:

neutral special and side special look like the magic attacks with the possibility of charging to do the more powerful attacks?
down special probably brings out a new tome.

I wonder if his sword is dependent on the type of tome he has out? he might only use the lightning sword with his lightning tomes?
like it appears in this picture

samsparta21

Smash Ace
....so you want it to be real?

Why.
Because Gematsu has been right for too long to just be disconfirmed now. It predicted Mii Fighters, Wii Fit Trainer, Villager, all that stuff.

Another reason I think the information was taken very early in development is he mentions that there was debate over keeping Ness or Lucas and that Lucas is "likely" to get the cut. He got his information before the roster was even finalized.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Grasp at the straws!

Shradow

Smash Rookie
In the trailer you see the Levin Sword together with Nosferatu, so it's not limited by Thunder spells.

His spells might actually be Smash Attacks with a certain number of uses, maybe? The more you charge the higher level spell gets used.

samsparta21

Smash Ace
Grasp at the straws!
Might I remind you that Gematsu has predicted
-Mega Man
-Wii Fit Trainer
-Little Mac
-Pac-Man
-Mii Fighters
-Palutena
-Greninja (partially)

And Chrom was even shown in the Lucina/MU trailer.

The fact that he says Lucas is "likely" to get cut is a clear sign he got his information before the roster was finalized, probably when Chrom was still being considered as a fighter

Last edited:

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
Am I dreaming right now? This is amazing! I can't stop with the manly tears!!

Rymi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kuratis64
3DS FC
2363-6076-5143
Switch FC
3858-7901-1006
Are you happy about his final smash?
And how do you think it will work considering chrom is part of it?

Lugubrious

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Lugubrious
If I had to guess, I'd say that Robin sends out a projectile, wave, or attack that hols one or more targets in place while they summon Chrom. The two then tag-team the targets, Chrom going to town with his blade while Robin barrages them with magic.

Amical

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Amical
3DS FC
1306-6214-4139
Wait a second, guys, watch the trailer again. Skip to 2:37 and watch VERY closely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MW6TpZPYd58
Robin switches magic types immediately. She uses Arcfire, then shields, dodges, and proceeds to use Arcthunder directly afterward. How does this work?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Congrats supporters everyone who stuck by this character deserves a special reward.
I'm a huge Awakening fan and was pulling for Robin however I am a little sour that Lucina is a total clone.
Oh well congrats again guys go stare at the Smash Bros official site you guys earned it.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Hahahahahahaha....

Haahahahhahahaha....

I don't know how to respond. I love this. A spell user finally! A good character at that. I did support Robin on a "he would be cool but too unlikely" level. Still, it feels weird having everything you believed in for the last couple months be on life support now.

Still, this is amazing. I love this. Again, I always wanted a spell user. And Robin was the perfect man/girl for the job. I'm probably going to switch between both of them.

Lucina is a plus.

RhymesWithEmpty

Smash Ace
I've never posted in here before, and now I feel a fool, because Robin was my most wanted Fire Emblem newcomer, but I could never convince myself that it was super likely...

But we did it guys... WE DID IT! THIS MUST BE HOW SPORTS FANS FEEL! OUR CHARACTER BEAT THE OTHER CHARACTER! WE WON THE THING! WE DID IT!

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Well, the video said he has his Levin sword because he runs out of uses on his tomes. Levin Swords are capable of casting magic (thunder only). I may need to see a little more of Robin before I fully understand the Sword changing.

I assume one special is relegated to casting spells while another is for switching tomes. Probably Standard and Down specials respectively. Charging with a tome will likely give a more powerful version of the spell and the Tomes will likely only be of 4 types: Thunder, Wind, Fire and Dark. As having to switch between everything would be rather absurd. If there weren't 4 types, I would think this was part of his customizable sets.

As for movelisting what we've seen:
1:17 Down Tilt
1:19 Combo, which appears to end with a spell from the currently equipped tome.
1:22 Grab, which appears to use some sort of magic I'm not familiar with.
1:23 Back Throw, a ball of magic briefly appears.
1:25 Taunt 1
1:27 Standard Special, Thunder
1:29 Standard Special, Elthunder
1:30 Standard Special, Arcthunder
1:32 Standard Special, Thoron
1:35 Standard Special, Arcfire
1:37 Down Air, Elwind (perhaps it changes based on what you have equipped?)
1:39 Standard Special, Nosferatu
1:41 Standard Special, Arcwind (I believe, no name given)
1:49 Forward Air, appears to have Dark effects as well as electric effects (curious)
1:50 Taunt 2

So, my prediction is Standard Special is "Cast Spell" and Down Special is "Choose Tome."

Top Bottom