• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
That honestly might be for the best. Everyone I talk to who like :4robinf: even outside of this thread seem to like her for (*gasps*) good reasons and not for any shallow reasons.
you don't like her because she is twintail tsundere

you are not a true weeb son

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
you don't like her because she is twintail tsundere

you are not a true weeb son
(Kneels) I apologize oh Great One! Please forgive me and show me the errors of my ways so I can rectify them and earn favor with the infallible twintail tsundere.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
(Kneels) I apologize oh Great One! Please forgive me and show me the errors of my ways so I can rectify them and earn favor with the infallible twintail tsundere.
S-stupid! I-it's not like I want your praise or anything...!

Tsuuuun, tsuuuun~

Last edited:

Elezir

Ultimate Momma :v
That honestly might be for the best. Everyone I talk to who like :4robinf: even outside of this thread seem to like her for (*gasps*) good reasons and not for any shallow reasons.
That makes sense, considering her character design. Doesn't means I haven't found people who prefer her over :4robinm: just 'cause waifu. It's particulary strong in reddit and 4chan...again, these places aren't exactly healthy most of time.:roll:

Still doesn't explain why she's not popular among the shipping community, considering :4lucina: is incredible popular and I consider the two to have similar design choices.

S.F.L.R_9

Smash Master
NNID
suffler9
3DS FC
0061-1006-1500
I'm glad female Robin isn't really shipped/sexualized. Most people seem to like her for who she is rather than what she is, which is a nice change of pace compared to how some people treat female characters

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
That makes sense, considering her character design. Doesn't means I haven't found people who prefer her over :4robinm: just 'cause waifu. It's particulary strong in reddit and 4chan...again, these places aren't exactly healthy most of time.:roll:

Still doesn't explain why she's not popular among the shipping community, considering :4lucina: is incredible popular and I consider the two to have similar design choices.
:4lucina: has the tragic heroine part going for, making it really easy people to sympathize and become attached to her.

Last edited:

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
I'm glad female Robin isn't really shipped/sexualized. Most people seem to like her for who she is rather than what she is, which is a nice change of pace compared to how some people treat female characters
I agree. But after reading F!Robin and Chrom's support conversation, I'll never think of her as an actual human being ever again...

Shaymikyu

Destruction in Hedgehog Form
Am I the only one who's tired of people for bashing F!Robin based on that one freaking support?

Sorry, I don't mean to go on a tirade, but I've seen it so much that it's become a rant button of mine.

Elezir

:4lucina: has the tragic heroine part going for, making it really easy people to sympathize and become attached to her.
:roll: and :4robinf: doesn't? Even with the second part of the game? I'd say the game focuses even more on Robin than Lucina by that point. The whole Grima thing is big and being the daughter of bad minion and the avatar to big baddie that wants to use your body to exterminate humanity.
Heck, people just love to play that card of Tragic Hero with :4robinm: an awfully lot in fanfictions. I haven't seen as much with :4robinf: (which is strange, too). Could be because I don't read that many fanfics with her, though. Most fanfics I have read with her prefer to focus in her lovey-dovey relationship with Chrom.

Well, could be explained by the fact that Robin didn't get as much expositions as Lucina in FE:A, though.

I dunno, it may seem insignificant, but it shows how much fans knows and views certain characters.

That could, of course, mean that most people outside of FE fandom like to see :4robinf: as an independent woman who needs no husband, though, because she is more popular than :4robinm:.

...can we continue to discuss this? I'm really liking this topic.

Last edited:

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
I don't even know how you people can even play 5 different characters in all smash games, especially 64.
Not sure about everyone else, but for me it's probably that I'm not a competitive player, I have no idea how to pull more skilled stuff and I only know the characters basic moveset and how to use that somewhat effectively in casual play (I can't even combo at all in games where combos are implemented more commonly than in Smash).
Oh hey our top 5 characters, awesome idea. Characters after the line indicate the ones I didn't seriously main, but I still liked them
:samus64: | :link64::pikachu64::kirby64::jigglypuff64:
:zeldamelee: | :samusmelee::peachmelee::sheikmelee::marthmelee:
:zelda: | :zerosuitsamus::peach::samus2::sheik:
:4zelda::4shulk: | :4robinf::4peach::4palutena:
I'm afraid that, due to your top choices in Melee, Brawl and Smash 4, you'll have to be banned from further play here

(Zelda why are you so fun to use yet so bad in in combat)

Shaymikyu

While I listed 5 for each game, I'd say I only used 1-3 characters most often until SSB4. Sure, I played with others, but there were only a few I really stuck with.

As for SSB4, I vary it more, but I still have my few favorites.

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
I'm not a big fanfic reader, but I will read some every once in a while. In most of the ones I see :4robinf: in, they're more of a light hearted tale usually involving her dealing with the shenanigans brought by Morgan or her trying to get shipping involved with other people. Her character is often like her Smash portrayal: Sassy, confident, strong, etc. which is also part of why I'll use :4robinf:over:4robinm: most of the times. I feel more personality and character in :4robinf:, while in :4robinm: I see a confident man who tries to hold a poker face while he fights. :4robinf: doesn't ever give off the damsel in distress vibe either which is a nice change compared to someone like :4peach:

Though other reasons why I prefer :4robinf: have already been mentioned by me several times over with my current avi being an example. (I don't have a problem i swear)

Shaymikyu

What support? What you guys talking about?
Her support chain with Chrom. A lot of people bash her character solely based on that support, even though you can skip it altogether (and even if you marry Chrom, you only need to go to C Support and just make sure to not C Support Chrom with any other potential wives).

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
:roll: and :4robinf: doesn't? Even with the second part of the game? I'd say the game focuses even more on Robin than Lucina by that point. The whole Grima thing is big and being the daughter of bad minion and the avatar to big baddie that wants to use your body to exterminate humanity.
Heck, people just love to play that card of Tragic Hero with :4robinm: an awfully lot in fanfictions. I haven't seen as much with :4robinf: (which is strange, too). Could be because I don't read that many fanfics with her, though. Most fanfics I have read with her prefer to focus in her lovey-dovey relationship with Chrom.

Well, could be explained by the fact that Robin didn't get as much expositions as Lucina in FE:A, though.

I dunno, it may seem insignificant, but it shows how much fans knows and views certain characters.

That could, of course, mean that most people outside of FE fandom like to see :4robinf: as an independent woman who needs no husband, though, because she is more popular than :4robinm:.

...can we continue to discuss this? I'm really liking this topic.
When I say Lucina is a tragic heroine, I don't just mean her back story because :4robinf: obviously has that too. The writers of Awakening make Lucina actively play that part. She is constantly dwelling about the destroyed world she comes from (not that you can blame her) and is constantly wondering if she can change fate and the future although not enough to stop her. Her tragedy is the crux of her character and and is her main motivation and the entire reason why she is there in the first place and Lucina herself makes that very clear.

:4robinf:, however, despite an equally tragic (some would say more) back story does not act like that. Part of it is, as you said, is that she does not have as much main story exposition as Lucina. But a lot of it stems from the fact that both for herself and the players she starts off as a blank slate because of her memory loss. She then moves on quickly to establish a character and personality independent of her back story. Furthermore, even when she learns that her father is Validar she does not dwell on it nearly as much on it as Lucina does with her past. Although a lot of it has to deal with how the supports are structured, it is also interesting that in almost none of her support she actually talks about this. She doesn't let the memory loss get to her as evident by the lack of mention of it in her supports. Lucina, on the other hand, almost exclusively bring up her past and world in her supports in some shape or form.

Therefore, because of the way the 2 characters deal with it I would argue that :4lucina: plays the role of the tragic heroine a lot more than :4robinf: despite the two having both tragic back stories, which as I stated in my previous post is one of the mains reasons Lucina is more popular than :4robinf: despite, as you said, similar design decisions between them.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Her support chain with Chrom. A lot of people bash her character solely based on that support, even though you can skip it altogether (and even if you marry Chrom, you only need to go to C Support and just make sure to not C Support Chrom with any other potential wives).
What the one where the see each other nude? (actually, I can't remember what there C support is). Why people bashing her about that? I see nothing wrong with it.

Because Sakurai.
Speaking of Sakurai, I bet this how a lot of people see Greninja's nerf

XD.
Link and Zelda shall forever remain low tier
Don't forget poor old :4ganondorf:.

Elezir

i like m!robinXchrom and f!robinXshulk
I was going to say that :4robinf:x:4shulk: fandom is non-existant and I'd rather see two bishounen together:troll:
But then I saw M!RobinxChrom.
Pardoned.

:4robinf:x:4zelda: is better

Honestly, I hate that support with every fiber of my being, but I can't hate :4robinf: just because of that. There are better supports out there with her.
The writers are to blame to try to shoehorn romance in such little supports (I'm not only talking about F!Robin and Chrom here). Chrom and :4robinf: was particulary bad for me because they tried to shoehorn fanservice on top of that, too.
I mean, why couldn't their support be like their confession at the end of chapter 11?

It's like a entirely different writer took care of those.

Shaymikyu

What the one where the see each other nude? (actually, I can't remember what there C support is). Why people bashing her about that? I see nothing wrong with it.

Speaking of Sakurai, I bet this how a lot of people see Greninja's nerf

XD.

Don't forget poor old :4ganondorf:.
Yes, that one. I guess people just see it as making her a bimbo somehow? Meh, I did that support on my first run and it didn't lessen my opinion of F!Robin (though the Summer Scramble will always be the true Chrom/F!Robin support in my head).
I was going to say that :4robinf:x:4shulk: fandom is non-existant and I'd rather see two bishounen together:troll:
But then I saw M!RobinxChrom.
Pardoned.

:4robinf:x:4zelda: is better

Honestly, I hate that support with every fiber of my being, but I can't hate :4robinf: just because of that. There are better supports out there with her.
The writers are to blame to try to shoehorn romance in such little supports (I'm not only talking about F!Robin and Chrom here). Chrom and :4robinf: was particulary bad for me because they tried to shoehorn fanservice on top of that, too.
I mean, why couldn't their support be like their confession at the end of chapter 11?

It's like a entirely different writer took care of those.
I understand not liking the support. I just meant people who bashed her based on that one support when there are dozens of others to choose from.

I've actually never seen their Chapter 11 confession, but I've heard it's better. Ditto with Chrom/Sumia.

Last edited:

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
I'm not a big fanfic reader, but I will read some every once in a while. In most of the ones I see :4robinf: in, they're more of a light hearted tale usually involving her dealing with the shenanigans brought by Morgan or her trying to get shipping involved with other people. Her character is often like her Smash portrayal: Sassy, confident, strong, etc. which is also part of why I'll use :4robinf:over:4robinm: most of the times. I feel more personality and character in :4robinf:, while in :4robinm: I see a confident man who tries to hold a poker face while he fights. :4robinf: doesn't ever give off the damsel in distress vibe either which is a nice change compared to someone like :4peach:
And that's why everyone loves he-Robin.

Personally, I've never saw them as being any different personality-wise. Most fanfics I've read overdo she-Robin's sass, as well as every other form of emotional expression she has. She's pretty poker face as well by my experience. In a similar fashion, most fanfics I've read fail to portray he-Robin as a human being (which he is, by the way). People treat him like he's insensitive to human emotion. That's not what he's like at all, if I learned anything about him from Awakening. He (she) just knows how to keep his (her) cool over simple things when most people would flip out.

People on the internet are so sexist... When will they learn :4robinm:=:4robinf:...

Célja

NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
If you ask me, it's that for Chrom's support with M!Robin is a thought out interaction where Robin is worried about Chrom's safety while he's out doing patrols around camp/town etc. You get a good sense of a connection forming and that the two of them grow close in their support.

However with F!Robin it kinda boils down to both Chrom and F!Robin accidentally walking in on each other naked and Chrom kinda just goes "Well we have nothing left to hide, let's get married"

The support for F!Robin x Chrom by itself is rather funny and entertaining to see Chrom act like he dork that he can be. It's just when you compare it to the support that Male Robin has, it doesn't really seem fair. One gets a support where Robin shows concern for Chrom's well being and they strive to watch each other's backs. The Female Robin gets a rather silly scene with the two walking in at the wrong times and their support is lacking in the connection building that was found in the M!Robin support.

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Regardless of the fact that the majority of you are at odds with F!Robin and Chrom's support conversation, I still think they make a cute couple, despite how they got together. :3 Then again, I am a hopeless romantic. Embarrass

Elezir

I've actually never seen their Chapter 11 confession, but I've heard it's better. Ditto with Chrom/Sumia.
Do see it. I believe it's on youtube. You see how the quality on the writing rises these.
The Sumia one even has an extra scene!

When I say Lucina is a tragic heroine, I don't just mean her back story because :4robinf: obviously has that too. The writers of Awakening make Lucina actively play that part. She is constantly dwelling about the destroyed world she comes from (not that you can blame her) and is constantly wondering if she can change fate and the future although not enough to stop her. Her tragedy is the crux of her character and and is her main motivation and the entire reason why she is there in the first place and Lucina herself makes that very clear.

:4robinf:, however, despite an equally tragic (some would say more) back story does not act like that. Part of it is, as you said, is that she does not have as much main story exposition as Lucina. But a lot of it stems from the fact that both for herself and the players she starts off as a blank slate because of her memory loss. She then moves on quickly to establish a character and personality independent of her back story. Furthermore, even when she learns that she is the father of Validar she does not dwell on it nearly as much on it as Lucina does with her past. Although a lot of it has to deal with how the supports are structured, it is also interesting that in almost none of her support she actually talks about this. She doesn't let the memory loss get to her as evident by the lack of mention of it in her supports. Lucina, on the other hand, almost exclusively bring up her past and world in her supports in some shape or form.

Therefore, because of the way the 2 characters deal with it I would argue that :4lucina: plays the role of the tragic heroine a lot more than :4robinf: despite the two having both tragic back stories, which as I stated in my previous post is one of the mains reasons Lucina is more popular than :4robinf: despite, as you said, similar design decisions between them.
Still doesn't explain why :4robinm: got all the tragic hero role handed to him by fans, considering the two's reaction to that is basically the same.
I mean, you can see that with fanart, too. You'll find quite a bit of fanart despiting :4robinm: experiencing weakness moments and
Grima possession
I find it hard to find :4robinf: fanarts with the same focus.
I'll go with that and throw a half-assed theory based on that, that people today wants to see Heros being more sensitive and show more weakness and Heroines being more strong and show less negative feelings such as sadness.
Of course, that's a long stretch, and a conclusion I came to after my own searches. Of course I won't read all damn fanfiction and be able to find all fanarts in the internet. I just try to do that:roll:
Fangirls in general, in my experience, just love tragic male heroes and drama in general, so that could explain why they focus on that part in particular when writing fanfiction or drawing fanart. Then, they like to put themselves in the place of the Heroine and have a fantastic romance with the prince, which would explain why I see so many lovey-dovey fanfictions involving :4robinf: and her beloved, whoever this guy is.
I have no idea what the fanboys think though:smash:

Welp, so many weird conclusions.

Last edited:

Célja

NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
I don't mind female Robin x Chrom but...Male Robin x Chrom is where it's at~
I'm forever disappointed that Awakening did not have same sex S-Supports.

4a0.jpeg

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
Do see it. I believe it's on youtube. You see how the quality on the writing rises these.
The Sumia one even has an extra scene!

Still doesn't explain why :4robinm: got all the tragic hero handed to him by fans, considering the two's reaction to that is basically the same.
I mean, you can see that with fanart, too. You'll find quite a bit of fanart despiting :4robinm: experiencing weakness moments and
Grima possession
I find it hard to find :4robinf: fanarts with the same focus.
I'll go with that and throw a half-***** theory based on that, that people today wants to see Heros being more sensitive and show more weakness and Heroines being more strong and show less negative feelings such as sadness.
Of course, that's a long stretch, and a conclusion I came to after my own searches. Of course I won't read all damn fanfiction and be able to find all fanarts in the internet. I just try to do that:roll:
Fangirls in general, in my experience, just love tragic male heroes and drama in general, so that could explain why they focus on that part in particular when writing fanfiction or drawing fanart. Then, they like to put themselves in the place of the Heroine and have a fantastic romance with the prince, which would explain why I see so many lovey-dovey fanfictions involving :4robinf: and her beloved, whoever this guy is.
I have no idea what the fanboys think though:smash:

Welp, so many weird conclusions.
Oh, admittedly I completely forgot to take into account of how fans view :4robinm: although that was a central part of your position. Whoops, my bad. I was only focusing on one of the reasons why Lucina is more popular than Robin (either one really) with only the source material in mind and not fandom.

Top Bottom