• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
I played Hazama from CS until Chrono Phantasma. Chrono Phantasma made all his optimal combos really really hard and I don't have the tech-skill for constant micro-dashes, so I switched to Terumi.

Probably won't be playing the next version because Terumi is garbage bin tier according to Japan.
By next version you mean CP Extend? It's honestly been a long time I kept up with BB, probably because of Smash.

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
Correct.

Not paying $60 for a balance patch where my character gets nerfed into the ground, Celica, and Lambda.
Can't blame you there. An admittedly very quick cursory search tells me my main also got hit by the nerf bat though maybe not to the same degree. Sighs. (Patiently waits for GGXRD+extendR. We all know its coming)

AirshBornely

Smash Lord
NNID
AirshBornely
3DS FC
4596-9541-7759
:rotfl: Gosh. Wanting shirtless and pantless dlc character alts? This thread...

This is proably due to the fact of me Brawl modding like crazy in the past, but I'm personally not hoping for any particular retro dlc stage(s). More for new stuff.

D

Deleted member

So, which retro stages would you guys like to see come back through DLC?
64: Hyrule Castle 64 (I WANT THIS SO BAD! PLEEEEAAAAASE NINTENDO!!!), Dream Land 64
Melee: Fountain of Dreams, Yoshi's Story, Pokemon Stadium, Mute City, Kongo Jungle, Fourside, Princess Peach's Castle
Brawl: Pirate Ship

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
64: Planet Zebes, Princess Peach's Castle
Melee: Princess Peach's Castle (LEGALIZE BOYS), Poke Floats, Mute City, Fourside, Rainbow Cruise
Brawl: Frigate Orpheon.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
WOOOOOOOOOOO. AVENGERS IS OUT TODAY. HYPE IS REAL!!!

WOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Yeah man, I legit do.

Keep it up.
Aw, thanks RedFeatherRaven :)

I would have understood the scepticism before Hyrule Warriors, but I think Young Link's implementation in that game should at least give people a little more hope. I suppose it all rests on how Roy turns out.

:231:
Ya, Young Link support :happysheep:.

I swear nothing could kill my joy today-

Thanks, this is exactly how I feel about Young Link but could never put it in words:happysheep:
I'm sorry, @ The Merc The Merc , but this is the biggest reason I can't really vouch for Young Link: Sakurai wouldn't feel the need to change him. Just look at Mewtwo, there aren't much changes from his Melee counterpart, and he's not even a clone.
Any potential change Young Link could have, Toon Link has too.

I can accept Doc because even if he's the same character with a clone gameplay, at least he's different from Mario, visually.
Pitto and Lucina are clones from Pit and Marth, respectively, but two different characters altogether. Same goes for Roy, as much as I hate him.
It would make Young Link the same character as Link and Toon Link, with the same visual and same gameplay, basically. That's why accepting him becomes harder for me.
Sorry, dear.:sadsheep:
Most people don't like 3 Links although it has potential to be more unique than the Mario-Luigi-Doc trio or the soon to be Marth-Lucina-Roy trio.

Is is because they have the same name? Or their clothes are similar?

:231:
Having potential =/= that potential being utilized. Especially since Young Link was already playable. If Young Link is brought back, like other veterans, he'd be almost exactly the same, no real changes. Toon Link has the exact same potential, and Ganondorf has far more potential that what he's got. Where has that potential been utilized?

It doesn't matter what potential is there. Its NOT going to happen. Plus, the trios you have are at least separate characters (except Mario and Doc, but Luigi is separate and way different from Mario/Doc, no way that'll happen with three Links; three Links would probably be WORSE).

The fact of the matter is, no matter what version of Link you're using, Link is still Link. YES they are different Link's. But the core concept is the same no matter which version of Link it is. And as we've seen with characters similar to one another, like Dr. Mario and Young/Toon Link, if they are mostly the same in concept, they'll do roughly the same thing. They were created because they could be easy clones. And Roy is coming back... probably only because he's only an easy clone.

This argument has been made before. However, the potential has existed right from the start. Sakurai won't use it because he doesn't see the need to. We'd probably get Ganon before Young Link.
I completely agree that there is a LOT of potential that Young Link could have.
But Toon Link had the same potential. And he's still the same as his less cartoony incarnation. So I wouldn't bet money on it happening.
Though one can dream...
Having potential =/= that potential being utilized. Especially since Young Link was already playable. If Young Link is brought back, like other veterans, he'd be almost exactly the same, no real changes. Toon Link has the exact same potential, and Ganondorf has far more potential that what he's got. Where has that potential been utilized?

It doesn't matter what potential is there. Its NOT going to happen. Plus, the trios you have are at least separate characters (except Mario and Doc, but Luigi is separate and way different from Mario/Doc, no way that'll happen with three Links; three Links would probably be WORSE).

The fact of the matter is, no matter what version of Link you're using, Link is still Link. YES they are different Link's. But the core concept is the same no matter which version of Link it is. And as we've seen with characters similar to one another, like Dr. Mario and Young/Toon Link, if they are mostly the same in concept, they'll do roughly the same thing. They were created because they could be easy clones. And Roy is coming back... probably only because he's only an easy clone.

This argument has been made before. However, the potential has existed right from the start. Sakurai won't use it because he doesn't see the need to. We'd probably get Ganon before Young Link.
Sad Young Link emoticon (scaled down).png

I don't know who you guys are anymore :crying:

*Leaves thread and never returns*

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Here's the stages I like to see return for Smash 4.

64: Peach's Castle, Dreamland, Meta Crystal (It have been exclusive to 1P, but it should have been playable outside of it)
Melee: Fountain of Dreams, Mushroom Kingdom II, Big Blue, Poké Floats
Brawl: Spear Pillar, Shadow Moses Island (Unlikely unless Snake returns)

And for the Stages in Smash 3DS I would like to see in Smash Wii U.

Arena Ferox, Tomodachi Life, Find Mii, Gerudo Valley, Pac-Maze, Rainbow Road, Tortimer Island, and Unova Pokémon League.

I just want more Awakening music beyond Conquest (Ablaze) and the butchered versions of Id (Purpose) and Duty (Ablaze).

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
WOOOOOOOOOOO. AVENGERS IS OUT TODAY. HYPE IS REAL!!!

WOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Aw, thanks RedFeatherRaven :)

Ya, Young Link support :happysheep:.

I swear nothing could kill my joy today-

View attachment 48625

I don't know who you guys are anymore :crying:

*Leaves thread and never returns*
The problem is, Hyrule Warriors =/= Smash. People bring up Hyrule Warriors for Impa as well. And you know what? Odds are, Hyrule Warriors will not be considered in any way, shape, or form for Impa either, as much as I'd love it to happen. Plus, Hyrule Warriors is a new game. Young Link was created from scratch for Hyrule Warriors.

Young Link has ALREADY been a clone in Smash. Look at Sakurai's track record and try and claim that there's any chance in hell Young Link would be decloned. If he's brought back, he'll be almost identical to how he was in Melee + balancing. Mewtwo alone should tell us that.

I don't give a sh** about the "potential" Young Link has. It means jack crap. So many other things in Smash had potential, too.

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
You specified "simple platform stage" in your criteria, so I ruled omega stages out.

If you apply more platform combinations, then eventually, they're going to increase in size to account for the combinations,, and then you have circle camping issues at hand; if Pyrosphere didn't have Ridley, it would be banned in competitive play anyway because Sonic and Wario would have a field day there. And that's not even considering Gaur Plain without Metal Face.

FoD is well-liked because it's basically a subtly-changing Battlefield - the platforms elevate and lower just slow enough that platform games can be utilized, and also just fast enough to where the gameplay doesn't feel static and flat. Characters with weak air games and characters with weak ground games get an equal level of advantage here.
fair enough, FoD ain't as simple as I claim it to be, but to be fair, I never said it was a bad stage, only that I don't care too much for it and I'd personally not buy it if it was DLC.
On the Blazblue talk, I used to own Continuum Shift Extend, but I traded it in last year as I just stopped caring with what ChronoPhantasma added and my overall growing weariness with how fighting games are treated. I mained Platinum and Ragna was my closest thing to a secondary.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
You guys talking about stages you want back. I only really have two

Hyrule Castel 64 and Great Bay for Melee. That is enough for me. I wouldn't mind seeing FOD again though.

The problem is, Hyrule Warriors =/= Smash. People bring up Hyrule Warriors for Impa as well. And you know what? Odds are, Hyrule Warriors will not be considered in any way, shape, or form for Impa either, as much as I'd love it to happen. Plus, Hyrule Warriors is a new game. Young Link was created from scratch for Hyrule Warriors.

Young Link has ALREADY been a clone in Smash. Look at Sakurai's track record and try and claim that there's any chance in hell Young Link would be decloned. If he's brought back, he'll be almost identical to how he was in Melee + balancing. Mewtwo alone should tell us that.

I don't give a sh** about the "potential" Young Link has. It means jack crap. So many other things in Smash had potential, too.
Then again, Sakurai made Greninja up way before his game was released....

Just saying.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
You guys talking about stages you want back. I only really have two

Hyrule Castel 64 and Great Bay for Melee. That is enough for me. I wouldn't mind seeing FOD again though.
I think that Hyrule Castle 64 and Great Bay would both be nice to be brought back.

Then again, Sakurai made Greninja up way before his game was released....

Just saying.
How does that have anything to do with what I was saying?

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
I think his point is that Sakurai knows how to create a character from very little information, so he could make Young Link unique even though he was a clone. Or something. I personally feel like he could at least come back as a semi-clone, though.

To me, potential should count for something. I mean, the entire reason we have Robin instead of Chrom was because of potential, which should probably count for something considering what thread we're in.

Let's look at Sakurai's track record. Clones that have been in multiple games include Luigi, Dr. Mario, Falco, Ganondorf, Lucas (technically), and Roy (questionable). Out of these, Luigi is obviously different at this point, and Falco and Ganondorf are different enough from the original owners of the moveset that they are widely considered to be semi-clones at this point. All things considered, that's actually pretty good. While the games do have a slight problem with making certain characters very similar in their debut game, I think that they're relatively good at making them different enough when they return.

And what makes you think he'll come back exactly the same? Mewtwo? He didn't need to be changed (ignoring competitive reasons) because there was no point. He was already a unique character, so potentially ticking off fans by making him too different wouldn't make sense.

SuperDavio

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SuperDavio
3DS FC
1633-4266-1971
Correct.

Not paying $60 for a balance patch where my character gets nerfed into the ground, Celica, and Lambda.
I felt so burned, and I don't know why. What happens to Yuuki in Extend? Makoto? Platinum? They're the ones I enjoy.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think his point is that Sakurai knows how to create a character from very little information, so he could make Young Link unique even though he was a clone. Or something. I personally feel like he could at least come back as a semi-clone, though.

To me, potential should count for something. I mean, the entire reason we have Robin instead of Chrom was because of potential, which should probably count for something considering what thread we're in.

Let's look at Sakurai's track record. Clones that have been in multiple games include Luigi, Dr. Mario, Falco, Ganondorf, Lucas (technically), and Roy (questionable). Out of these, Luigi is obviously different at this point, and Falco and Ganondorf are different enough from the original owners of the moveset that they are widely considered to be semi-clones at this point. All things considered, that's actually pretty good. While the games do have a slight problem with making certain characters very similar in their debut game, I think that they're relatively good at making them different enough when they return.

And what makes you think he'll come back exactly the same? Mewtwo? He didn't need to be changed (ignoring competitive reasons) because there was no point. He was already a unique character, so potentially ticking off fans by making him too different wouldn't make sense.
Ganondorf has been changed very little. He has way more potential than what he's been given. Lucas is almost identical coming back as DLC, Dr. Mario is almost identical to his original self, Falco got a few minor upgrades but has barely been changed, especially compared to Brawl.

Chrom had just as much potential compared to Ike/Marth as Young Link does to Link/Toon Link.

Sakurai does not WANT to change characters too heavily. He has repeatedly stated as such. Luigi got changed up a lot more heavily mainly because they added an additional move between Smash 64 and Melee and they made that move completely different. And they've made small changes to him in each game. But that's about it.

Of course Sakurai can create a character from very little information. However, other characters are not really explored at all and are literally added just because they're easy. That's what Young Link was. And Toon Link, who had the EXACT SAME potential as Young Link, is exactly the same as he was in Brawl. Why do you honestly think they'd consider bringing back Young Link and making him completely different when Sakurai had the option, TWICE, to do it for Toon Link and did not?

On another note... I didn't even realize this was the Robin social thread this debate was in. :p

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
On another note... I didn't even realize this was the Robin social thread this debate was in. :p
That's just the nature of this social thread; we talk about everything and nothing is off bounds. Admittedly we often go in circles but I would argue that is to be expected of such a large and active social thread. You should join us more.

Edit: We "Robins" should stick together, if you catch my drift.

Last edited:

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
That's just the nature of this social thread; we talk about everything and nothing is off bounds.
That's not entirely true. Raziek banned all Sonic OCs about one hundred pages back or so.

(Yay Raz!)

Last edited:

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
That's not entirely true. Raziek banned all Sonic OCs about one hundred pages back or so.
Oh yes, I was successfully able to forget about that until just now. Afraid to check if it really has been 100 pages back

But my overall point still stands, especially since we just add to that circle, with the most recent addition of St. Garon talk and such.

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
Yeah, but I don't see Raz banning St. Garon unless we get another ****-swinging picture. Which I doubt, mainly because @ Kotor Kotor is better than that.

There was more than one person getting annoyed by the Sonic OCs.

The OCs that I want to see more of are FE OCs. Folks here put a lot of thought and work into those (as opposed to the Sonic OCs which 95% of looked like some 4 year old spent about 3 minutes in paint on) and they were fun to read about. And then to have @RadiantTactician go and make portraits for them was just the icing on a cake.

See, I can respect that. I can't respect those half-assed Paint jobs.

Also, Kotor doesn't drop St. Garon pictures just because "St. Garon" ended up in a post somewhere. "Sonic OC" ended up in a post and we'd spend the next page and a half at least drowning in Sonic OCs.

Also, I take it back, it was 50 pages ago that Raz dropped the ultimatum. No one here will ever forget the disaster of Page 758.

Last edited:

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
Oh no, of course not, I don't see it happening either. And to be clear, I have no problem with some repetitions here and there because again it's to be expected. It even gives the thread a sense of comfort and stability.

I also agree that the FE OCs were fun.

Elezir

Ultimate Momma :v
Indeedly. It was fun writing my OC's support with @ The Merc The Merc , too.:happysheep:

Also, I know about new people in this thread who haven't made an OC yet.:roll:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I don't believe that's relevant to the main point he was making...
Isn't it though? I thought it might be because how do we know that there wasn't already a number of characters planned for dlc or were planned but didn't make and now are considered to be possible DLC.

Sorry, I just I really want Young Link back and it annoys me when people say he has no chance and then they go and vote for someone like Ridely (not that any of you guys have done that) All I have to say is

I think that Hyrule Castle 64 and Great Bay would both be nice to be brought back.
Really? Thanks man. That puts a smile on my face :)

^This basically.

Look JaidynReiman, how about we just leave it at I want Young Link back and you don't think Young Link will come back since he would be a clone (I think that is what you are getting at, correct me if I am wrong). I don't want any bad blood with anyone on SmashBoards. I want to be friends with everyone. I just we have different opinions on a certain matter, nothing new. Does that sound cool?

Ganondorf has been changed very little. He has way more potential than what he's been given. Lucas is almost identical coming back as DLC, Dr. Mario is almost identical to his original self, Falco got a few minor upgrades but has barely been changed, especially compared to Brawl.

Chrom had just as much potential compared to Ike/Marth as Young Link does to Link/Toon Link.

Sakurai does not WANT to change characters too heavily. He has repeatedly stated as such. Luigi got changed up a lot more heavily mainly because they added an additional move between Smash 64 and Melee and they made that move completely different. And they've made small changes to him in each game. But that's about it.

Of course Sakurai can create a character from very little information. However, other characters are not really explored at all and are literally added just because they're easy. That's what Young Link was. And Toon Link, who had the EXACT SAME potential as Young Link, is exactly the same as he was in Brawl. Why do you honestly think they'd consider bringing back Young Link and making him completely different when Sakurai had the option, TWICE, to do it for Toon Link and did not?

Hm, you have a point. like I said, lets puts this behind us and be friends, k?

Yes, bring the FE OCs back!
YES!

Indeedly. It was fun writing my OC's support with @ The Merc The Merc , too.:happysheep:

Also, I know about new people in this thread who haven't made an OC yet.:roll:
That was fun, wasn't it. I really do miss it.

Elezir

Ultimate Momma :v
Oh yeah, dropping this image here.

Dat Robin and Ness :cry:
Just so anyone want to know, seems like this is from Germany.

Honestly, the amiibo situation seem so much better in Europe.

Top Bottom