• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Brilliant, that way Chrom uses his deadly cooking skills to battle.
I'm pretty sure that they're not so lethal, since it was implied Sumia is a terrible cook (Probably because of her clumsiness).
Remember the Father/Kjelle convo? If Chrom didn't just hire a cook, it'd be like that.
Also, my support must be added to the first page.

Hong

The Strongest
One thing I would like to point out would be regarding the Wii Fit Trainers. You said that the Trainers are not inherently unique, yet are so radically different from the other fighters that they stand out as unique. The second part is true, but the Trainers do have a unique quality in their play style, specifically Deep Breathing. The ability to use a move to temporarily power up your character is something we've never seen before in a character, and Sakurai even points this out in the Direct. So, the Trainers are not only unique thematically, but also in how they play and function, much like every other newcomer we've gotten thus far..
Oh, it's not that I left that out, so much as it's largely superficial.

It is not that the WFT are, on a functional level, inherently unique. Deep Breathing is a self-buff skill not far from the Rally Spectrum idea that comes up often, or my "Rightful KIng" idea for Chrom. Basically any character in the world could coin some move that does the same thing as Deep Breathing, where as Robin's affinity for tomes (and consequentially their functions within Fire Emblem there-in) are unique without having to be made unique.

Edit - For some reason half of my post vanished. O.O Fixed.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Oh, it's not that I left that out, so much as it's largely superficial.

It is not that the WFT are, on a functional level, inherently unique. Deep Breathing is a self-buff skill not far from the Rally Spectrum idea that comes up often, or my "Rightful KIng" idea for Chrom. Basically any character in the world could coin some move that does the same thing as Deep Breathing, where as Robin's affinity for tomes (and consequentially their functions within Fire Emblem there-in) are unique without having to be made unique.

Edit - For some reason half of my post vanished. O.O Fixed.
Oh, I see what you mean. Though I think it could be argued that Wii Fit Trainer was one of those "blank slate" characters, characters in Smash who don't display many abilities of their own in their respective series, but display just enough abilities or are in certain roles that a complete move set can be invented for them. The Trainer's lack of defined abilities allowed for some creativity when designing his/her move set, and since Deep Breathing is a well known practice for calming the mind, it makes sense to implement it as a power up move for the Trainer. But you are correct in saying that a power up move concept could have been used on numerous characters, Chrom and Robin included, so it's not inherently unique to the Trainer.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Since Robin can become any class (gender permitting), should his moveset reflect that?

Hong

The Strongest
You are all ready to see Robin in three days time, but are you all ready to not see Robin in three days time?

In the past I would have said "Oh, Chrom will get you in the rebound", but you can't even hope for him, either.
Since Robin can become any class (gender permitting), should his moveset reflect that?
It's possible.

Most likely to have just a tomes since they seem to go with super immediate details of a character. If Sakurai has played Awakening in depth, I am sure that possibility would come to mind as well.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
You are all ready to see Robin in three days time, but are you all ready to not see Robin in three days time?

In the past I would have said "Oh, Chrom will get you in the rebound", but you can't even hope for him, either.
Well, at the very least, Awakening is likely to get some character to represent it, even if it isn't Robin. I guess that's something.

Then again, if that character offers absolutely nothing new, maybe that development time should have been spent on other characters...

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Oh, I see what you mean. Though I think it could be argued that Wii Fit Trainer was one of those "blank slate" characters, characters in Smash who don't display many abilities of their own in their respective series, but display just enough abilities or are in certain roles that a complete move set can be invented for them. The Trainer's lack of defined abilities allowed for some creativity when designing his/her move set, and since Deep Breathing is a well known practice for calming the mind, it makes sense to implement it as a power up move for the Trainer. But you are correct in saying that a power up move concept could have been used on numerous characters, Chrom and Robin included, so it's not inherently unique to the Trainer.
The trainers themselves are blank slates, but the Yoga moves are what are being drawn upon. All of these were from Wii Fit and as far as I'm aware, Wii Fit Trainer's entire moveset is based on those yoga moves.

I'm not fully confident in Robin's inclusion, but I'm fairly confident Chrom won't get included. I'm not even sure if a FE character WILL be revealed. For all we know they're planning to use the arena as a stage to show off Isaac or Shulk (although Isaac does actually visit a similar arena in Golden Sun, if I remember my last playthrough of the first game correctly).

Weeman

Smash Crusader

Well i don't think anyone can assume that ANY character will or will not be at E3, let alone be in the games. So yeah if Robin doesn't show up i'll just take it.

Hong

The Strongest
I'm not fully confident in Robin's inclusion, but I'm fairly confident Chrom won't get included. I'm not even sure if a FE character WILL be revealed. For all we know they're planning to use the arena as a stage to show off Isaac or Shulk (although Isaac does actually visit a similar arena in Golden Sun, if I remember my last playthrough of the first game correctly).
I would think an Isaac or Shulk reveal would be coupled with a new stage we haven't seen.
Well i don't think anyone can assume that ANY character will or will not be at E3, let alone be in the games. So yeah if Robin doesn't show up i'll just take it.
Well, it was sort of a rebuttal on this idea that people used to think Chrom was guaranteed.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, it was sort of a rebuttal on this idea that people used to think Chrom was guaranteed.
People used to think Chrom was a guarantee?

The majority of people still do.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Well, at the very least, Awakening is likely to get some character to represent it, even if it isn't Robin. I guess that's something.

Then again, if that character offers absolutely nothing new, maybe that development time should have been spent on other characters...
I'm not 100% sure that Sakurai won't make a any character (even Chrom) unique... I just don't think he would be the best choice for one.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
It's possible if Sakurai wants to go all out and make Robin a jack-of-all-trades. But I think that keeping Robin to his/her unique base class works well enough since it incorporates magic, which is broad enough to make an entire move set out of.

IronFish

Smash Ace
It's possible if Sakurai wants to go all out and make Robin a jack-of-all-trades. But I think that keeping Robin to his/her unique base class works well enough since it incorporates magic, which is broad enough to make an entire move set out of.
I still think a sword would be good to see in addition to magic

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I still think a sword would be good to see in addition to magic
Maybe Sakurai can split magic and sword attacks equally in the moveset... as Robin did use both, and was carrying both when he/she was found in that field.

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Honestly... yes.
It's not that I don't really, really hope for it, but I'm already very pleased with the current roster. Robin would just be the cherry on the Mega Man flavored icing on the Smash cake.
I'm also fairly certain that we will get some kind of Awakening representation in the roster, and weither it'll be Robin, Lucina or Chrom I'll be pleased. Though in Robin's case, I'd be ecstatic.

Hong

The Strongest
Honestly... yes.
It's not that I don't really, really hope for it, but I'm already very pleased with the current roster. Robin would just be the cherry on the Mega Man flavored icing on the Smash cake.
I'm also fairly certain that we will get some kind of Awakening representation in the roster, and weither it'll be Robin, Lucina or Chrom I'll be pleased. Though in Robin's case, I'd be ecstatic.
I understand.

Personally, even if Robin were revealed, that's not what I am waiting to see. I want to see if the game is good. I grow so tired of fixed trailer footage and matches played by people spamming Fox Illusion. You can put a hundred Robins in a ****ty game and it will still be a ****ty game.

I'll both be watching the tournament very closely, and lining up an hour early to play the game myself. If you were all curious, I'll be trying Samus in particular.

IronFish

Smash Ace
I would be okay with no Robin, as I'm okay with seconding Ike, but if Chrom gets in over a character like Bandana Dee then I'll be mad at Sakurai. I just don't want Chrom in the game as his own character... As an alt for Marth I'm fine with.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'd be disappointed if Robin ends up not being in, but I've known all along that he/she's less than likely. Though after all the hype this thread has generated over the last few days, the pain is going to be worse than before...

Hong

The Strongest
Does everyone have material prepared for when Robin is revealed? (・ω・)

Baws

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Groosin
3DS FC
4742-4786-7576
I'd be disappointed if Robin ends up not being in, but I've known all along that he/she's less than likely. Though after all the hype this thread has generated over the last few days, the pain is going to be worse than before...
Personally I'm also prepared for Robin to not be in, same as I'm prepared for Palutena to not be in. Both were characters I have wanted in since before even last year's E3, but I've always been ready for the heartache of "what could have been."

That said, I seem to be on a lucky streak, as Rosalina was previously also in the same boat for me, and Bowser Jr. appeared to be the more popular choice as far as a new Mario character goes. Personally I'm already happy with the current Smash Roster though (granted the expected veterans will return, which they will) and I'll be fine if neither Robin nor Palutena are playble. But ooh baby if Robin is in, instant main! Sorry, Link...

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Quotes, images, YouTube clips, that sort of thing. Image macros, lad.
If Robin's revealed, we should just yell out "Anything can change," as that's essentially what Robin's inclusion would prove.

IronFish

Smash Ace
Does everyone have material prepared for when Robin is revealed? (・ω・)
I'm going to compile pictures/screencaps of people saying Chrom is a shoo-in then a picture of Sakurai doing a Troll Face with a caption saying "you can't predict me" or something

Hong

The Strongest
Aww, look at you all. Regardless of what happens, I'm happy you are all so vast in number, yet so mature and reasonable. :D

Even if Robin doesn't show up, can you feel bad? It doesn't mean we were wrong. Our reasonings have, for the most part, been fair and just. We all acknowledge that we cannot lie to ourselves and will the character onto the roster, and have largely been assessing the probability in a logical fashion.

@ Baws Baws
I'm happy you have had such good luck this time! And yeah, as a Link main, if Robin plays anything like I imagine her to, I'm probably going to be playing that.

IronFish

Smash Ace
Aww, look at you all. Regardless of what happens, I'm happy you are all so vast in number, yet so mature and reasonable. :D

Even if Robin doesn't show up, can you feel bad? It doesn't mean we were wrong. Our reasonings have, for the most part, been fair and just. We all acknowledge that we cannot lie to ourselves and will the character onto the roster, and have largely been assessing the probability in a logical fashion.

@ Baws Baws
I'm happy you have had such good luck this time! And yeah, as a Link main, if Robin plays anything like I imagine her to, I'm probably going to be playing that.
So I'm not the only one thinking Link w/magic...

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'm going to compile pictures/screencaps of people saying Chrom is a shoo-in then a picture of Sakurai doing a Troll Face with a caption saying "you can't predict me" or something
Can you throw in some people claiming the Gematsu leak to be a guarantee? Because Robin's presence on the roster would almost completely debunk the leak.

Last edited:

Morian

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0860-4377-2975
I would be okay with no Robin, as I'm okay with seconding Ike, but if Chrom gets in over a character like Bandana Dee then I'll be mad at Sakurai. I just don't want Chrom in the game as his own character... As an alt for Marth I'm fine with.
The "X over Y" thing could be apply to any character (and I see BD very unlikely but oh well, that's just me). Second, I really want the game release now only for take down the "this character as an alt of this other", serious, am I the only one who thinks that's unproffesional? I don't want to see Lucina, Chrom or Roy as alts for Marth, Dixie for Diddy, Demise for Ganondorf, etc. they are his own characters (palettes swaps like Daisy, Blood Falcon and Dark Link are bad examples).

IronFish

Smash Ace
The "X over Y" thing could be apply to any character (and I see BD very unlikely but oh well, that's just me). Second, I really want the game release now only for take down the "this character as an alt of this other", serious, am I the only one who thinks that's unproffesional? I don't want to see Lucina, Chrom or Roy as alts for Marth, Dixie for Diddy, Demise for Ganondorf, etc. they are his own characters (palettes swaps like Daisy, Blood Falcon and Dark Link are bad examples).
Well I just think Chrom's spot on the roster would wasted IMO, and I think he is better suited to be an alt for Marth or Ike again IMHO, but I won't say anything like that anymore just to be clear.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I agree with this, though granted a Lucina alt for Marth doesn't have to be a complete change of character, just add the mask for the reference. But yeah seeing alt. costumes of other characters like Shadow for Sonic or Dixie for Diddy would be weird to say the least. The only one i could see working like that would be Dark Pit.

The Curious Volnutt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
theOmni1337
Well I just think Chrom's spot on the roster would wasted IMO, and I think he is better suited to be an alt for Marth or Ike again IMHO, but I won't say anything like that anymore just to be clear.
Chrom's combat style is too different from Marth or Ike's to be an alt. Lucina could work for Marth, and maybe Roy for Ike.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Chrom would not work as an alt. for Marth or Ike because they look really different, if anything i guess just the outfit, but a complete change of character would not work.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
If Robin is confirmed, then we'll need to have the ending credits theme along with the whole "Where are they now?" epilogue, as is tradition when something Fire Emblem related (like this thread) ends.

Hong

The Strongest
So I'm not the only one thinking Link w/magic...
That's the gist of it.

Spellcasters are distinct from other projectile users. Even Dormammu from UMVC3 could reflect this.

In general traditional projectile user tends to have both more raw projectiles (Samus's missiles) or better heckling power (Link). Spellcasters like Mewtwo, Zelda, or Ness are more specific and intricate in how they accomplish things... they generally get control spells, teleportation spells, and very specific hitboxes. They are more about preparation.

We have many images of Robin, but I would say most of them have a character that is more tactical in nature.
Can you throw in some people claiming the Gematsu leak to be a guarantee? Because Robin's presence on the roster would almost completely rule debunk the leak.
I'll admit I laughed more than I should have.
Well, yeah.

Adding characters isn't free, folks. Unless you want Melee-esque clones, characters take A LOT of work to design. Characters like Lucas were such a huge waste of time, money and energy. Imagine if that time was better spent bug testing and balancing the cast out. Clearly in Brawl they were already trying to take on more than they could handle.

Last edited:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Chrom's combat style is too different from Marth or Ike's to be an alt. Lucina could work for Marth, and maybe Roy for Ike.
No character should be an alt. for other character, they're called costumes for a reason, they're supposed to be the same character but in another outfit.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Am I the only one who would prefer Marth and Ike just get their own alternate designs as costumes?

One of these for Marth.

One of these for Ike.

Last edited:
Top Bottom