• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Jae

You're outta luck, buddy
I was never a big fan of the stage but Castle Siege looks more appealing (big) so that's a plus.
(I only played it for le musics)

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Wow, I was not expecting Castle Siege to come back at this rate. Huh. Maybe the Wii U will have a lot more stages than the 3DS version.

Still no DK stages on Wii U yet. Seriously, Sakurai.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
@MindlessFire I would be one of those people. It is also the only reason I got and still play on my Wii.

@Reila Much obliged. I find your reasoning sound as well.

@ Raziek Raziek Ditto, effectively. Don't tell all my fancy rhetoric that though, it's a secret.

@MyDamnPhone Type faster, I'm falling behind here.

Hong

The Strongest
Looks like Mr. Sakurai found an interesting reason to have the healing mechanic.

As you know, originally I found it to be unremarkable, in the sense that "You can do 5% damage and drain 5% health, or you could have just done 10% damage", since otherwise aside from doubles it would have offered nothing special.

But instead, Mr. Sakurai was intelligent enough to give Nosferatu a very deliberate and meaningful design. Having healing that scales is an excellent balancing mechanism, allowing the designer to implement something incredibly powerful without breaking the move. Its potential is tied to an algorithm that is justified by severity. Ergo, you can't have Robin at 50% damage recovering to full on one punish, because that would be ridiculous. Robin must suffer a discrepancy in at around >80% to reign in a return that can't just be offset with one Smash attack or projectile (some characters hit really hard). Thus, at higher %s, when Robin is likely to heal the most, it is when Robin is also the most likely to die, emphasizing that the use of a Nosferatu is a strategic decision that should be measured with caution.

I am pleased.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
I always liked Castle Siege because it was cool and undoubtedly had the best music.
Sorry, Ferox, but your Id~Purpose can't beat one song from nearly every other game in the series, plus the main theme remixed in both Brawl and Melee.

The best part is that we don't need to worry about those silly phase changes, thanks to the FD version.

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Did the ability to customize a stage's music selection return?

That might solve your problem.

Last edited:

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
Now I know why female Robin's English voice doesn't match any of her choices in Awakening.

She has a new actress. I did some research and in FEA, she was voiced by Michelle Ruff (voices 1 and 3) and Wendee Lee (voice 2). In Smash, she's voiced by Lauren Landa.

So, another Palutena situation in that Nintendo couldn't bring back the original VA.

In the Japanese voice over, she has the same VA, Miyuki Sawashiro.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
That's pretty crazy stuff found in Nosferatu - definitely could help me migitate starting in a bad fashion or turns of events.

Castle Siege complements now well with Colosseum, so I'm digging it's return. I hope we just see more cameos from the characters themselves.

D

Deleted member

It is kind of annoying how some people are so surprised that others want to have only the 3DS version of the game and not the Wii U one :p

Graphics really aren't that import, specially for Smash Bros.
I'm getting both versions. The more Smash Bros., the better! I pre-ordered both games months ago and I plan to get a physical copy of both of them day one of their releases. Just two more weeks...

Time to go castle crashing again.

No doubt this stage was returning.

Only this time, Robin can seize it this time!
Whoa! Castle Siege looks incredible with its HD makeover! I'm fine with it returning, especially when it has some fantastic music.

Looks like Mr. Sakurai found an interesting reason to have the healing mechanic.

As you know, originally I found it to be unremarkable, in the sense that "You can do 5% damage and drain 5% health, or you could have just done 10% damage", since otherwise aside from doubles it would have offered nothing special.

But instead, Mr. Sakurai was intelligent enough to give Nosferatu a very deliberate and meaningful design. Having healing that scales is an excellent balancing mechanism, allowing the designer to implement something incredibly powerful without breaking the move. Its potential is tied to an algorithm that is justified by severity. Ergo, you can't have Robin at 50% damage recovering to full on one punish, because that would be ridiculous. Robin must suffer a discrepancy in at around >80% to reign in a return that can't just be offset with one Smash attack or projectile (some characters hit really hard). Thus, at higher %s, when Robin is likely to heal the most, it is when Robin is also the most likely to die, emphasizing that the use of a Nosferatu is a strategic decision that should be measured with caution.

I am pleased.
Which adds more to Robin's strategic gameplay.
You cannot simply spam moves as Robin. You can't just go around spamming Smash attacks with the Levin Sword or specials like Nosferatu. You have to plan out your attacks and use one that best benefits the situation. If you do just spam as Robin, you won't win. Due to his limited weapon usage, Robin best represents something that the other FE reps fail to capture: tactics, and that's a major part of Fire Emblem.
This makes me more pleased with how Robin came out.

Did the ability to customize a stage's music selection return?

That might solve your problem.
Yes. My Music returns on the Wii U version. The 3DS version only gets 2 songs like in Melee.
...Speaking of which, Id~Purpose better be in Coliseum. I'll be disappointed if it didn't.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Both are canon due to Outrealms and alternate timelines and crap.

Look guys they are both pretty and possibly canon.
image.jpg

It's just that male Robin is forever canon. And FemRobin is the equivalent of FeMC from Persona 3 Portable

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
We should probably implement a rule against arguing over which Robin is canon.

Some of you are entirely too invested in it and it rarely goes anywhere good.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Perhaps you should use some of that magic power in the Lucina social thread...
We talk about headcanons. Mostly.
We should probably implement a rule against arguing over which Robin is canon.

Some of you are entirely too invested in it and it rarely goes anywhere good.
The rule is they're all canon. No exceptions.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Still better than the Pokemon shipping fanbase and their ships.

All 23,000 of them.

Is a Pokeshipper regardless

Last edited:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
No, maybe not, but it does make people who don't ship Robin and Lucina uncomfortable.
Like myself.
So we can't talk about our headcanons because our ships are different from yours?
Still better than the Pokemon shipping fanbase and their ships.

All 23,000 of them.

Is a Pokeshipper regardless
Nope!

Raziek

Charging Limit All Day
NNID
Raziek
3DS FC
3866-8131-5247
I'm going to work. I'd appreciate it if none of you blow up the thread with a shipping argument while I'm gone.

That would mean either Hokori, Hong, or (god help you if the mess gets this big) Shaya has to clean up the mess, or otherwise I find myself walking back in (in 9 hours) to this:

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
No.
I'm just saying it's all you talk about, all the time. Some people just like the character without all the icky romance.
We have a person who is writing a fic in which thier relationship plays a major role, and we talk where's he going with it. Anyways, now that the game is out, you'll be hearing less of that.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Now I know why female Robin's English voice doesn't match any of her choices in Awakening.

She has a new actress. I did some research and in FEA, she was voiced by Michelle Ruff (voices 1 and 3) and Wendee Lee (voice 2). In Smash, she's voiced by Lauren Landa.

So, another Palutena situation in that Nintendo couldn't bring back the original VA.

Huh, and she sounded near-identical to the original. I'm a little disappointed, actually, and a little lightheaded because I was so certain that was Ruff.

At least there's still Miyuki Sawashiro, but I doubt that we're getting the option to switch to Japanese VAs. However, I'm hoping that will be the case.

But :4robinf:is non-canon. And :4robinm: is more cooler IMO
No. They're both equally canon. Just because M!Robin was used more prominently in the trailer doesn't mean he's more canon than F!Robin. With that logic, Villager is canonically male, and the Wii Fit Trainer is canonically female.

Last edited:

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Man, that sucks.
Her previous VA was also undoubtedly the best voice for Jill Valentine as well. I thought I was finally going to have my two favorite female characters' voice actresses in the same game...

Ah well. At least I have Sean Schemmel.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Huh, and she sounded near-identical to the original. I'm a little disappointed, actually.

No. They're both equally canon. Just because M!Robin was used more prominently in the trailer doesn't mean he's more canon than F!Robin. With that logic, Villager is canonically male, and the Wii Fit Trainer is canonically female.
:4robinm: keeps his right?

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
:4robinm: keeps his right?
From what I've checked, he's still voiced by David Vincent (the type 1 voice).

But man, my hype for F!Robin deflated a little when I heard about the new VA. At least there's still David Vincent for M!Robin, because he sounds perfect as him.

Last edited:

Drakonis

Shining Tactician
NNID
xDrakonisx
3DS FC
4124-4980-4428
Hey guys! @Hokori had the idea to start up a Robin Skype group, so if you'd like to join it to socialize and whatnot, just post your skype ID here, and I'll add you as a contact, and to the group.
I like the idea but don't really want to share my skype contact that publicly. Hokori has my Skype details though, so he should be able to add me no problem.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Random observation from viewing the Robin trailer for what must be the 800th time has shown me that Robin is the only character in the cast that's wearing pitch black and dark purple as his primary colors by default.

It's a great contrast to the other bright and colorful newcomers, and to the colorful game in general.

Top Bottom