• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
If Robin wasn't announced by now. (Which obviously means no Chrom announcement and the Leak did not happen.)

How would you feel Robin's chances were?

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
If Robin wasn't announced by now. (Which obviously means no Chrom announcement and the Leak did not happen.)

For one, I would find it weird it would take them this long to reveal a Fire Emblem newcomer and Gematsu would have been gospel throughout all of Smash 4's speculation. Anyway, I would have the felt the same thing: little chance. If Lucina was not going to make it in, then I was hoping for Robin with like 95% doubt in my mind he/she would be playable.

Smallgenie549

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Smallgenie549

Very, very slim honestly. Especially after Shulk's reveal.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209

By "Leak," I'm assuming you mean the confirmed roster leak that (obviously) has Robin on it?

I'd think Robin would still have a chance, but a rather low one.

Though I really hate imagining what the Gematsu zealots would be like in that event... Things were already bad enough back then...

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
Would this scenario have Shulk revealed before Robin? Oh my...that would have been a nauseating few weeks to go through.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
By "Leak," I'm assuming you mean the confirmed roster leak that (obviously) has Robin on it?

I'd think Robin would still have a chance, but a rather low one.

Though I really hate imagining what the Gematsu zealots would be like in that event... Things were already bad enough back then...
Of course, it would've made the eventual reveal/victory all the sweeter.

Though it's probably for the best it happened when it did. I eventually got #MonadoMorning anyway.

D

Deleted member

I wouldn't feel confident. If Shulk was confirmed, then Gematsu would have looked more absolute and Chrom would be seen as a shoo-in.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hong

The Strongest
I have always been confident in Robin appearing, because I am confident in Smash 4 being a good game. :088::088:

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I have always been confident in Robin appearing, because I am confident in Smash 4 being a good game. :088::088:
It's funny; I always thought Robin was the better choice, and expressed as much in the thread early on, but eventually settled in to defend Chrom supporters anyway, because they were pretty cool people who's character was getting a bad rap. (Most of them liked Robin too. Most...)

Funnily enough, I always had trouble coming up with a moveset, or why Sakurai would choose Chrom if he wasn't going to be unique, but assumed (stupidly) that Chrom would probably be chosen, even though magic+white hair+female alt >>> another male blue-haired swords-only lord. (Even though Ike is my favorite character in the series. Three would be a bit much if we had nothing else.) I actually like Chrom too, and probably would've tried to main him, but I'm more than satisfied.

I'm glad at least that my assumption about Sakurai choosing newcomers for what they offered was right on, at least, and was very glad I was wrong. And it still feels really surreal to actually see that Robin's in the game. Like holy **** it's weird, but oh so good.

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
It's funny; I always thought Robin was the better choice, and expressed as much in the thread early on, but eventually settled in to defend Chrom supporters anyway, because they were pretty cool people who's character was getting a bad rap. (Most of them liked Robin too. Most...)

Funnily enough, I always had trouble coming up with a moveset, or why Sakurai would choose Chrom if he wasn't going to be unique, but assumed (stupidly) that Chrom would probably be chosen, even though magic+white hair+female alt >>> another male blue-haired swords-only lord. (Even though Ike is my favorite character in the series. Three would be a bit much if we had nothing else.) I actually like Chrom too, and probably would've tried to main him, but I'm more than satisfied.

I'm glad at least that my assumption about Sakurai choosing newcomers for what they offered was right on, at least, and was very glad I was wrong. And it still feels really surreal to actually see that Robin's in the game. Like holy **** it's weird, but oh so good.
Funny...I can't really stomach the Chrom thread anymore after Lucina and Robin were confirmed.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Funny...I can't really stomach the Chrom thread anymore after Lucina and Robin were confirmed.
The thing is, I think most people, even those who supported Chrom, were quite happy and satisfied with Robin and Lucina being in over Chrom. The only people left in the thread are those who really wanted Chrom in.

D

Deleted member

I can't bear to watch the thread. I've seen a lot of flame wars occur over there. >_> I can't help but be sympathetic however, especially when today was Chrom's final, final, final nail in the coffin.

Speaking of threads, @ Hong Hong will this thread be locked once the 3DS version is released or will it keep going?

Last edited by a moderator:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
I can't bear to watch the thread. I've seen a lot of flame wars occur over there. >_> I can't help but be sympathetic however, especially when today was Chrom's final, final, final coffin.

Speaking of threads, @ Hong Hong will this thread be locked once the 3DS version is released or will it keep going?
I really hope the Bandana Dee doesn't become that...we have a lot of hope...

Robin fans should feel what it is like feeling like your most wanted character has no chance.....Robin is my second favorite character, so I'm very happy. However I REALLY want Bandana Dee...

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Well, unless he's actually disconfirmed, there's still hope for him. Even if he doesn't make it on the roster, there is the possibility of DLC if he doesn't have another role in the game already (like Chrom).

Hong

The Strongest
What's a character forum without a general/social thread?

I'll tell you.

BORING.:088:

This thread has already been repurposed into just that; a social thread. Nothing in the cards to bin it.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Robin fans should feel what it is like feeling like your most wanted character has no chance.....Robin is my second favorite character, so I'm very happy. However I REALLY want Bandana Dee...
Try being a Snake fan.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223

Pretty pessimistic, to be honest. If we never got the Ninka/Vaanrose leak, in which the latter leaked Robin, then we would have had to continue to deal with rapid Gematsu worshippers until the 3DS version's release. But then when it turned out that he/she was indeed playable, I would be utterly dumbfounded and ecstatic.

Here's another question: what if Robin was leaked by Gematsu instead of Chrom?

Last edited:

IceAnt573

Smash Journeyman
Pretty pessimistic, to be honest. If we never got the Ninka/Vaanrose leak, in which the latter leaked Robin, then we would have had to continue to deal with rapid Gematsu worshippers until the 3DS version's release. But then when turned out that he/she was indeed playable, I would be utterly dumbfounded and ecstatic.

Its legitimacy might be questioned a tiny bit more since many can't deny the prominence of Chrom. Although, if the leak just said "Robin" without specifying the franchise Robin is from then there would be a lot of **** Grayson being in Smash jokes. Then, many people would have no doubt that the Chorus Men would be playable once Robin was confirmed officially unlike the ambiguity there is now towards those 3.

Can't even say his first name.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I think people would be a lot more suspicious of the leak, but eventually I think it would eventually be treated like gospel anyway.

Though I really wouldn't want that to happen; it would take away half the reason why Robin's reveal was so amazing, and it would mean that we'd still have to deal with Gematsu now ("Chorus Men are inevitable").

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I burst out into laughter when I saw that Chrom palette, even though I called it way back when ike was shown.

Not even the most profound necromancers of Magvelian lore could resurrect Chrom's chances of being a playable character. :skull::skull::skull:
Sorry Chrom. It's Fire Emblem. Permadeath is always on. most of the time.

As time progressed, I felt more confident about Robin's chances, and would have been progressively increasing them while lowering Chrom's. But I also would have increased Lucina's chances as well. Which would be great, because I would be right on both accounts. Part of the chances though would conflict with each other, because I'd assume FE would get three at most. Oh, how happy I was to be wrong.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Doesn't explain why he didn't go with Red Mage or Mystic Knight colors, though...
Red mages wear hats. White mages wear the hoods. Making the translation as an alternate Robin costume easier. Mystic Knight isnt as iconic. White Mage appeared in FF1, while mystic knights have been sporadic.

Will play with the red alternate. I'll treat is as anna, even though the red and green combo make it clearly the Cain and Abel archetypes to me.

•Col•

Smash Champion
Guys, the leaker is playing as Robin. Hype.

We also got to see Robin's final smash for the first time. Robin also has a victory pose without Chrom.

http://www.twitch.tv/yushako
Been watching it. Surprised by how high Robin's jumps go. Elwind looks decent as a recovery move. Robin has fairly short range but the coverage of his normal attacks is pretty nice. Levin sword aerials look to be really good (as expected).

And yeah, you can definitely combo out of Elfire. Good spacing tool. Nosferatu kinda looks like its hard to grab with.. Short range.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
This thread has already been repurposed into just that; a social thread. Nothing in the cards to bin it.
And on that cue I'm going to take the time to talk about Etrian Odyssey 3, because my actual Etrian Odyssey thread in the Light House seems insistent on dying ;-; and whenever I try to talk about it in the Smash 4 Wii-U social thread I get ignored ;-; so I am going to see what happens when I try to talk about it here, specifically my current umpteenth attempt at playing through it and actually finishing it, but for some reason I get turned off of it at the 3rd stratum.

I just got done beating Narmer not too long ago and got to the Geo point on the second Stratum. So far my team has showed pretty good synergy and was able to handle Narmer without trouble, never even had to revive someone. But I know the second Stratum is going to put my team to the real test as it did all my other teams when I went through it, though I don't have much to worry about in that regard anyway as it's a pretty standard team to start with, though it will get a bit on the unorthodox side when I get to subclassing.

My current team is;

Monk Princess Hoplite
Zodiac Arbalist

I plan to eventually turn it into

Arbalist/Gladiator Monk/Zodiac Hoplite/Ninja
Zodiac/Bucaneer Princess/Shogun

Arbalist is the primary damage dealer with Giant Killer, Breserker's Vow, Charge, and Front Mortar, she will however be put into the back for the random mooks. Monk is both a healer and damage dealer. He will deal damage through Breakfire Fist and Meteor. Hoplite gets evasion boost and to create a clone of itself for a second tank, that is just plain profit. Zodiac is elemental damage with Eagle Eye, am also considering to invest a single point into the Prophecies so as to free up the Hoplite from using the element walls but unsure if that is needed since it can create a clone of itself but then again it frees up SP for her but then again she doesn't really need that free TP super bad. Princess is full on support with buffs and passive healing and I think the Shogun class will be best to supplement that.

D

Deleted member

What's a character forum without a general/social thread?

I'll tell you.

BORING.:088:

Whew! Thank you!

Gematsu would nearly look absolute. The Chorus Men would be expected newcomers and people would think that they are the game's final newcomers.

Hong

The Strongest
And on that cue I'm going to take the time to talk about Etrian Odyssey 3, because my actual Etrian Odyssey thread in the Light House seems insistent on dying ;-; and whenever I try to talk about it in the Smash 4 Wii-U social thread I get ignored ;-; so I am going to see what happens when I try to talk about it here, specifically my current umpteenth attempt at playing through it and actually finishing it, but for some reason I get turned off of it at the 3rd stratum.

I just got done beating Narmer not too long ago and got to the Geo point on the second Stratum. So far my team has showed pretty good synergy and was able to handle Narmer without trouble, never even had to revive someone. But I know the second Stratum is going to put my team to the real test as it did all my other teams when I went through it, though I don't have much to worry about in that regard anyway as it's a pretty standard team to start with, though it will get a bit on the unorthodox side when I get to subclassing.

My current team is;

Monk Princess Hoplite
Zodiac Arbalist

I plan to eventually turn it into

Arbalist/Gladiator Monk/Zodiac Hoplite/Ninja
Zodiac/Bucaneer Princess/Shogun

Arbalist is the primary damage dealer with Giant Killer, Breserker's Vow, Charge, and Front Mortar, she will however be put into the back for the random mooks. Monk is both a healer and damage dealer. He will deal damage through Breakfire Fist and Meteor. Hoplite gets evasion boost and to create a clone of itself for a second tank, that is just plain profit. Zodiac is elemental damage with Eagle Eye, am also considering to invest a single point into the Prophecies so as to free up the Hoplite from using the element walls but unsure if that is needed since it can create a clone of itself but then again it frees up SP for her but then again she doesn't really need that free TP super bad. Princess is full on support with buffs and passive healing and I think the Shogun class will be best to supplement that.
Ah, Narmer. I really liked that concept behind a boss battle, where they made your ability to map a part of the fight.

Party sounds good enough.

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Yeah. Narmer is fun when you know how to fight him. I remember in my very first attempt at playing the game I found him to be super aggravating. Took me forever to figure out to use the freaking campsite after he runs away before fighting him again. But once you know the trick and know to have a AoE attack for him he becomes a lot more fun to fight.

And I concur. It at least has the basics covered with a healer, 2 damage dealers, support, and a tank. I just change things up a little with the healer a little bit by also making it a damage dealer. And I also know Princess has more popular subclasses but I really think the Shogun can offer a lot to the Princess class between Endure, Rear Dignity (Though this might not actually work out if it goes over the Bodyguard and Line Guard skills in terms of priority and I haven't been able to find any info on it), Fore Honor, Daifuhensha (helps to take some heat from the Hoplite hopefully), and possibly Blitz Command as well.

Deathcarter

Smash Lord
Now that we know the full roster, I feel a bit guilty about the Fire Emblem representation. Any established series in Smash that's not the Big 3, Fire Emblem, or Kid Icarus kind of got gipped. I expect the amount of vitriol over "FIRE EMBLEM BIAS!!!" to increase by a lot.

MindlessFire

Smash Apprentice
Now that we know the full roster, I feel a bit guilty about the Fire Emblem representation. Any established series in Smash that's not the Big 3, Fire Emblem, or Kid Icarus kind of got gipped. I expect the amount of vitriol over "FIRE EMBLEM BIAS!!!" to increase by a lot.
Well Marth represents the first Fire Emblem game and it's direct sequels and remakes. Ike represents the last Fire Emblem game released on a Nintendo console (Wii). Robin represents the most recent Fire Emblem entry that saved the franchise from being canceled and is most post sold Fire Emblem game to date. Lucina is just a icing on the cake as a bonus character.

D

Deleted member

I don't mind it too much. Lucina is really a bonus; get rid of her and we have three Fire Emblem reps. I just hope that our Tactician will be a permanent character in the Smash series.
I feel the same way many of you do; seeing Robin getting in is very... surreal.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
I don't mind it too much. Lucina is really a bonus; get rid of her and we have three Fire Emblem reps. I just hope that our Tactician will be a permanent character in the Smash series.
I hope both are permanent characters.

Robertman2

IT'S HAPPENING!!!!
NNID
Robertman2
3DS FC
0259-1071-1157
Could you imagine the meltdown if the next lord made it into the next Smash game and no Fire Emblem character was cut while Lucina is decloned? It would be glorious.
I would be more excited for the decloned Lucina. Bonus points if her Final Smash is Pair-Up with f!Morgan.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I just hope that our Tactician will be a permanent character in the Smash series.
If Ike wasn't cut, I see no reason for them to cut Robin.

Hong

The Strongest
And I concur. It at least has the basics covered with a healer, 2 damage dealers, support, and a tank. I just change things up a little with the healer a little bit by also making it a damage dealer. And I also know Princess has more popular subclasses but I really think the Shogun can offer a lot to the Princess class between Endure, Rear Dignity (Though this might not actually work out if it goes over the Bodyguard and Line Guard skills in terms of priority and I haven't been able to find any info on it), Fore Honor, Daifuhensha (helps to take some heat from the Hoplite hopefully), and possibly Blitz Command as well.
I see. Lack of a Monk subclass is the first thing that jumped to mind, but your reasoning makes total sense.

I myself am not sure if I'll ever play EOIII again, until the inevitable remake, anyways. The new classes and the sailing is just a bit too off-beat for my liking. Not bad by any means, but I absolutely adore EOI and IV so much that those are my go-tos for a labyrinth-exploring fixing.

Hong

The Strongest
As I said in another thread: White Mage Robin confirmed for swag tier. B)

It's marvellous, is it not? I did not think I would play as Robin♂, but this outfit is worthy of playing him a bit.

Top Bottom