• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

Folt

Smash Ace
That's a fair point I guess.

Tho what'd be great is if we could get both....not that I should expect that.
Which is fair. It would own if we got a roster of 80-90 something playable FE characters with each having a unique moveset who has interactions between each other written in a good way.

However, that would require hell of a lot of manpower and probably cost way too much for what it is. In contrast, going with 8-15 playable characters (but given that there's more characters in FE, maybe we'll see a core roster that's higher than that) at first, then adding more through updates, DLC, and maybe sequels/expansions, should eventually get us the FE Musou of our wildest dreams.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I'm still waiting for Young Link cutscenes and story in Hyrule Warriors

Still in regards to FE Warriors, so long as we get some awesome moveset and story for Roy and Robin, then i'll be happy enough

:135:

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
I don't know where else to ask this, but does anyone know if there is a Robin discord or not? I'm looking to connect with other Robins out there and any help would be appreciated.

Edit: I'm dumb. I'll see myself out lol.

Last edited:

Folt

Smash Ace
I'm still waiting for Young Link cutscenes and story in Hyrule Warriors

Still in regards to FE Warriors, so long as we get some awesome moveset and story for Roy and Robin, then i'll be happy enough

Young Link is interesting. He has no story role to speak of, but he has a major starring role in the Reward Map scenario that could be unlocked by getting the Termina Map Skulltulas, and that basically let's him interact with the base cast (Lana in this case) in a scenario that essentially counts as his story (it would be kind of replicated with Toon Link in Legends, through the Reward Map scenarios Scattered Seeds and A Prayer Received). I'd love to get something like that in Fire Emblem Warriors. (If Lyn is DLC, maybe have a DLC scenario where the story is that Lyn finds Robin, they get attacked by one of the antagonists, and then they band up together to beat the antagonist back as a sort-of call-back to the fact that Lyn was the first to meet and partner up with the tactician of her game.)

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Young Link is interesting. He has no story role to speak of, but he has a major starring role in the Reward Map scenario that could be unlocked by getting the Termina Map Skulltulas, and that basically let's him interact with the base cast (Lana in this case) in a scenario that essentially counts as his story (it would be kind of replicated with Toon Link in Legends, through the Reward Map scenarios Scattered Seeds and A Prayer Received). I'd love to get something like that in Fire Emblem Warriors. (If Lyn is DLC, maybe have a DLC scenario where the story is that Lyn finds Robin, they get attacked by one of the antagonists, and then they band up together to beat the antagonist back as a sort-of call-back to the fact that Lyn was the first to meet and partner up with the tactician of her game.)
Huh i didn't know about this. I just thought that they made Young Link share all of HW Link's lines

Also that sounds like a pretty cool idea for Lyn. Though admittedly i am still yet to play Lyn's FE game

Avokha

A+B smash tech is my baby <3
NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
After 2 months of hardship and training, I have finally graduated boot camp and become a fully fledged member of the USCG. Time for some well deserved rest :p

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Anyone excited for Fire Emblem Echoes? I know I am. It`s coming out very soon here and plan on picking it up. I was a little cautious about it because of how Shadow Dragon turned out, it was so faithful to the original that it didn`t bother to improve the formula and include FE staple features, but with the info I have been looking at it seems that they learned their lesson.

Nah

Smash Champion
I try to not get excited anymore for game releases since in the past that's always led to some level of disappointment.

But I'm pretty certain I'm gonna get it at least.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I wouldn't say I'm excited for Echoes coming out, I will say I'm looking forward to it. The game does look pretty promising from what I've seen and I plan to preorder it this weekend.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I put $5 towards a preorder for it the other day but I wouldn't exactly say I'm excited for it. I completely forgot the name of it, I just said to the guy at the cash 'the new Fire Emblem coming out' plus I haven't even beaten any of the 3 forms of Fates. On the other hand, last weekend, my cousin and I finished our co-op playthrough of Radiant Dawn and I just recently bought a JP Wii and JP copy of Radiant Dawn online.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I put $5 towards a preorder for it the other day but I wouldn't exactly say I'm excited for it. I completely forgot the name of it, I just said to the guy at the cash 'the new Fire Emblem coming out' plus I haven't even beaten any of the 3 forms of Fates. On the other hand, last weekend, my cousin and I finished our co-op playthrough of Radiant Dawn and I just recently bought a JP Wii and JP copy of Radiant Dawn online.
Did you get it at a reasonable price? The Tellius FE games are generally found online at exorbitant prices.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Question

Did Gaiden have weapon break limits?

Guess looking at gameplay echoes sort of looks like it doesn't

Unless i just missed it

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Nope, Gaiden lacked the durability system, a feature that Fates borrowed from.
Oh alright.

Idk how i feel about that

I mean it worked well in Fates but after Breath of the Wild, i kind of miss the weapon durability in Fire Emblem

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
You know, I truly believe that Awakening and Fates are very good FE games, but aside from the simplistic stories there is another aspect that I felt that was missing: world building. I remember playing Sacred Stones and Path of Radiance, and once you started you were introduced to the continent where the conflict would take place. There was a lot of social and political tension between nations, and PoR also added that issue of fantastic racism between beorc and laguz. Wonder if Echoes will have a presentation as good as that.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I don't recall too much of anything from when I played Sacred Stones or too much about my unfinished playthroughs of Rekka no Ken or Birthright but I can definitely agree on the Tellius games having amazing world building. I find it rather surprising how Awakening bothers to mention that it's the same continent that Marth is from, just far ahead in the future and yet all they seem to do with it is reuse Marth's sword along with a few other weapons like Parthia, Gradivus and Excalibur, have Lucina use the name 'Marth' as a cover up and have Tiki be there. Heck, they even have the whole future thing going on and all it really does is cause the usual time travel problems and provide an easy means of having S supports be able to meet their children.

Compared to RD which dumps a huge amount of information regarding the past that happens well before PoR. There's a great flood and a war with a goddess and an explanation for how laguz and beorc first were, how conflict between the 2 first started, the significance behind Lehran's Medallion. The only real gripe I have with RD in this regard is how it doesn't bother doing Ashnard any justice. For being the main antagonist of the previous game, RD doesn't do too much to make him different from any other 'crazy, mad for power king' that a lot of FE games seem to like having. There's the whole deal with the blood pact but even then, they don't go into too much detail over how that works.

I'm really hoping that FE Switch is another Tellius game since the series seems to stick to home console (which the Switch kinda is, blurs the line a bit) and they left plenty of room for a potential prequel or a sequel.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I'm still within the first chapter of the game because I like to take things slowly. A couple of things that I have to say:
Class promotion in this game is a little different. Normally, you want to level up your units until level 20 before promoting but in this game, most base classes are able to promote as soon as you reach level 7 or 8. You want to promote as soon as possible because holding off doesn't provide you any statistical advantages; when a unit is promoted they don't get predetermined boosts, instead any low stat gets raised to match the base stat of the class they become while stats higher than the new base stat stay the same. However, classes like mages learn spells upon level up so may be you want to hold off a bit with them? There are still things I need to learn about this system.

Also, I'm enjoying the story so far since it already establishes it's world and it's conflict better than Fates and Awakening and keeps building towards it. Despite being a remake of a NES game, they seem to have added and expanded on bits of dialogue here and there so it avoids the same trap that Shadow Dragon fell into regarding the narrative. I hope it pays off till the end.

The voice acting for nearly every line of dialogue is also a nice touch, and it helps me understand better because since there are japanese characters that I cannot read.

And regarding dungeons, I really like them, they are fun to traverse and it's third person perspective is reminiscent of more traditional JRPGs in general and it reminds me of Shin Megami Tensei IV.

The maps so far don't have the same level of complexity of Conquest or the Tellius games, with most of them being open spaces. That's not necessarily a bad thing and more of a matter of personal preference. I personally don't mind them that much since the skirmishes are very quick paced and don't last for too long.

The presentation by the way is very gorgeous and it's not as archaic as Shadow Dragon was.

I'll probably comment more once I advance through the story.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I'm in a bit of a rut when it comes to FE games. I'm holding off playing anything except Skyrim until my Japanese Wii comes in so I can play the JP version of Radiant Dawn. After that, I still haven't beaten any of the 3 versions of Fates and I most certainly won't before Echoes comes out. If I tried, I'd get burned out by playing too much FE. Debating between finishing anywhere between 1 to all 3 parts of Fates before going to Echoes or if I should play Echoes first and go to Fates after. I also need to go back at some point and beat Rekka no Ken and on Monday I should be getting a gamecube action replay which I'm gonna see about using for PoR so I can get every stat capped for every character at level 20 2nd tier. Then I can use that file to transfer stat boosts for every returning character in RD. 100% unnecessary and it doesn't really help the characters that need it the most (Meg, Fiona, Vika. Although Tormod and Muarim could greatly appreciate it) but it'll greatly help in my attempt to kill the Black Knight in Rivals Collide.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I'm kind of the same way when it comes to Fire Emblem games. I mean they're fun and all but at the same time, they can be downright stressful and I also tend to get tired of them especially if playing for such long ass hours and lose sight of other things I wanted to do but never got the time. I'm hoping that won't be the case with Echoes after it comes out. Otherwise, I'll have to stop playing FE games for a long while or maybe never play one again.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I'm on chapter 3, and I'm loving the world building this game has despite being a remake of an NES title. You get to know the world you play in better when stopping by towns and listening to the NPC's tales about the conflict or the background stories of the area.

I visited a cave called Dragon's Shrine, where undead monsters roam and there is even a Draco Zombie awaiting at the end. The cave has a section where there's a shore and what appears to be a lake enclosed within it. On the distance you can see the lake leading into a tunnel. According to Celica's commentary, that is a place that connects the world of the living with the world of the dead which is very reminiscent of the river Styx from Greek mythology. If that wasn't eerie enough, right above the shore the roof section of the cave opens revealing a dark, cloudy sky which gives this otherworldly feel. According to the villagers of the area, a long time ago a child went inside the shrine. I never found the child but I found his diary right next to a boat on the shore where he mentions that he went there for the sake of his family. Reading that gave me chills. The poor kid will never return home and the only thing I was able to give to his mother was the diary I found.

See? This what most of this games should have. Something to get me invested into their world.

Last edited:

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I just beat Birthright for the first time. Got quite a few thoughts on it but the tl;dr is that I wasn't too big a fan of the game :/ the gameplay itself was fun, a plus I give to pretty much every FE but the story and design of the game...largely leaves me unimpressed. I can go into more details if anyone wants to know.

Nah

Smash Champion
Yeah sure, go into more detail if you feel like it.

Is Birthright the only one of Fates you've played or have you played Conquest too?

I will say though that the story was ultimately a bit of a letdown for me too.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I've only played Birthright so far. I do plan on playing Conquest and Revelations eventually but I think for now, I wanna take a break from FE and play Metroid Prime instead. Anyways, as for my thoughts:
I found that the first half of the game went by really fast, which implies short and easy chapters, while the latter half was a bit longer. Not entirely a bad thing since it is a handheld game and I did choose Classic normal mode and Birthright is meant to be easier than the other 2. Still, 8 chapters in and I'm sitting there like 'I'm already this far?' Same thing happened around the halfway point.

I also found the character diversity to be...rather low. Most of the characters in the game are either members of royalty or retainers to those members of royalty. Plus the game likes to throw a lot of pre-premoted units at you in the later half and as is the standard for FE games, their starting stats are meh and their growths are garbage. Either that or I got really unlucky. The exception to this is Ryoma who is the complete opposite. I found that they gave him to the player too early so I chose not to use him till others caught up. Plus, his starting sword is so ridiculous that he doesn't even need another sword. At least with the Fujin Yumi, there's reason to use other bows like the Illusory one.

Going more into characters, the children units are still ridiculous and are actually moreso than they are in Awakening. At least in Awakening, they all started level 10 first tier so you had to put work into making them good. In Birthright and I'm assuming the other 2, you can just use the Offspring Seal right off the bat and it puts them around equal level to the rest of your army, no penalty whatsoever. That was nice since it let me get rid of some of my less favourable units (looking at you Yukimura and Scarlet) but it felt so cheap to just do a chapter and get a crazy unit for it. At least the paralogues were challenging.

As for the story, the whole first half is just the stuff before the branch of fate and then just rounding up the Hosidan royals. From there, it's just slowly but surely invade Nohr. And here's where the fun begins. Early on, Gunter dies from getting knocked off a bridge into an abyss which, ya know, is fine. Shows you can't rely on the Jaigen character anymore and you don't get enough time to know the guy but then, starting at the halfway point, they just throw death at you left and right and it feels so forced. The first one is actually the best, being Kaze's. I actually felt upset about that one since I was using him and after looking it up, I could've saved him if he'd had an A support with my MC. After that though, there's the ice maid, and then there's Lillith and then Elise and Xander and finally Azura. Ice maid is upsetting for Felicia and the MC since they knew her (and she's Felicia's sister) but I didn't feel anything. Lillith dies to save the MC from a blow when he was a high leveled sword wielding unit about to get hit by an axe unit. Plus, she shouldn't have even been in the battlefield. Didn't care for her deaht either even thoguh the MC did since he grew up with her. She healed me a few times in the 2 invasions I did, and mostly just gave me free gold bars for feeding her and her spirit still does that! Elise dies by taking a blow from Xander to try and stop him and the MC from fighting which is at least a bit more commendable but no, doesn't even matter since Xander still insists on fighting. Then he dies even though Leo and Camilla survive their fights with the MC and heck, Camilla lives through it twice. Azura then dies at the end because of her song/curse thing and it does make me wonder if she could stay alive if the player doesn't have her sing much but given that her death is a cg cutscene, I doubt it.

It felt to me like the only way the game knew how to make the player sad is with death. Sure the MC may get sad but outside of Kaze...why should I care? I might care more about Elise and Xander if I'd played Conquest first, I'm sure I'll get upset about killing the Hoshidan royals in Conquest. But why not have someone get ill or continue the whole 'Takumi is evil and possessed' thing? Or show that soliders you kill have families and that people are suffering more (they don't show this too much) or have Hoshido get invaded during part of the game. PoR did that with Crimea getting invaded by Ashnard as Ike arrives in Daein. Plus the deaths of the ice maid and Xander really don't clash well with numerous other bosses surviving fights like Leo, Camilla twice and...the archer/staff wielding guy in Windmire.

Oh and there's a major design issue I see with a few of this game's bosses. Namely Leo, Xander and both forms of Garon. You can reach them and defeat them way too easily. Leo is in a swamp with forest terrain here and there and he's even on a horse but once you enter his range, he doesn't attack you. It took me like 2-3 turns to just have Silas go up to him and boop him with a beast killer. Same deal with Xander where all I did was have Rinkah kill the general blocking the door, have Saizo open the door and have Silas go up with the beast killer. My MC didn't even move. They could've forced the 2 to fight like RD did with the Black Knight and Ike. Garon's first form took me 3 turns to kill. Took a bit since there genuinely is strong enemies around but my MC and Takumi were enough to beat him in one fight. I was actually expecting him to be harder since his one skill apparently halves damage taken, crits taken and offensive skills but either it's percent based on whether it kicks in or the calculations are done immediately which is sad if that's the case since my level 17 second tier MC was doing like 20 something damage, hitting twice. Final form was beaten in 1 turn thanks to the MC, Takumi and some boots and pairups.

You shouldn't even be able to reach mid to endgame bosses in 1 turn, especially not the final boss. RD didn't allow this (though that games final boss still sucks) and PoR's didn't either and that was a pretty good final boss as far as FE standards go.

TL;DR too much meaningless death, too easy of bosses, first half just flies by and the units are either op or garbage once you get all the royals and retainers.
I originally ditched this game my first time playing on chapter 15 but that was because I was already playing Rekka no Ken and RD and I got FE'd out, plus the game wasn't holding my interest enough. I've finally beaten it and...the gameplay itself is fun but with the low difficulty (which admittedly can be changed) and the meh story and design...idk if I can see myself going back to it.

Last edited:

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
I've only played Birthright so far. I do plan on playing Conquest and Revelations eventually but I think for now, I wanna take a break from FE and play Metroid Prime instead. Anyways, as for my thoughts:
I found that the first half of the game went by really fast, which implies short and easy chapters, while the latter half was a bit longer. Not entirely a bad thing since it is a handheld game and I did choose Classic normal mode and Birthright is meant to be easier than the other 2. Still, 8 chapters in and I'm sitting there like 'I'm already this far?' Same thing happened around the halfway point.

I also found the character diversity to be...rather low. Most of the characters in the game are either members of royalty or retainers to those members of royalty. Plus the game likes to throw a lot of pre-premoted units at you in the later half and as is the standard for FE games, their starting stats are meh and their growths are garbage. Either that or I got really unlucky. The exception to this is Ryoma who is the complete opposite. I found that they gave him to the player too early so I chose not to use him till others caught up. Plus, his starting sword is so ridiculous that he doesn't even need another sword. At least with the Fujin Yumi, there's reason to use other bows like the Illusory one.

Going more into characters, the children units are still ridiculous and are actually moreso than they are in Awakening. At least in Awakening, they all started level 10 first tier so you had to put work into making them good. In Birthright and I'm assuming the other 2, you can just use the Offspring Seal right off the bat and it puts them around equal level to the rest of your army, no penalty whatsoever. That was nice since it let me get rid of some of my less favourable units (looking at you Yukimura and Scarlet) but it felt so cheap to just do a chapter and get a crazy unit for it. At least the paralogues were challenging.

As for the story, the whole first half is just the stuff before the branch of fate and then just rounding up the Hosidan royals. From there, it's just slowly but surely invade Nohr. And here's where the fun begins. Early on, Gunter dies from getting knocked off a bridge into an abyss which, ya know, is fine. Shows you can't rely on the Jaigen character anymore and you don't get enough time to know the guy but then, starting at the halfway point, they just throw death at you left and right and it feels so forced. The first one is actually the best, being Kaze's. I actually felt upset about that one since I was using him and after looking it up, I could've saved him if he'd had an A support with my MC. After that though, there's the ice maid, and then there's Lillith and then Elise and Xander and finally Azura. Ice maid is upsetting for Felicia and the MC since they knew her (and she's Felicia's sister) but I didn't feel anything. Lillith dies to save the MC from a blow when he was a high leveled sword wielding unit about to get hit by an axe unit. Plus, she shouldn't have even been in the battlefield. Didn't care for her deaht either even thoguh the MC did since he grew up with her. She healed me a few times in the 2 invasions I did, and mostly just gave me free gold bars for feeding her and her spirit still does that! Elise dies by taking a blow from Xander to try and stop him and the MC from fighting which is at least a bit more commendable but no, doesn't even matter since Xander still insists on fighting. Then he dies even though Leo and Camilla survive their fights with the MC and heck, Camilla lives through it twice. Azura then dies at the end because of her song/curse thing and it does make me wonder if she could stay alive if the player doesn't have her sing much but given that her death is a cg cutscene, I doubt it.

It felt to me like the only way the game knew how to make the player sad is with death. Sure the MC may get sad but outside of Kaze...why should I care? I might care more about Elise and Xander if I'd played Conquest first, I'm sure I'll get upset about killing the Hoshidan royals in Conquest. But why not have someone get ill or continue the whole 'Takumi is evil and possessed' thing? Or show that soliders you kill have families and that people are suffering more (they don't show this too much) or have Hoshido get invaded during part of the game. PoR did that with Crimea getting invaded by Ashnard as Ike arrives in Daein. Plus the deaths of the ice maid and Xander really don't clash well with numerous other bosses surviving fights like Leo, Camilla twice and...the archer/staff wielding guy in Windmire.

Oh and there's a major design issue I see with a few of this game's bosses. Namely Leo, Xander and both forms of Garon. You can reach them and defeat them way too easily. Leo is in a swamp with forest terrain here and there and he's even on a horse but once you enter his range, he doesn't attack you. It took me like 2-3 turns to just have Silas go up to him and boop him with a beast killer. Same deal with Xander where all I did was have Rinkah kill the general blocking the door, have Saizo open the door and have Silas go up with the beast killer. My MC didn't even move. They could've forced the 2 to fight like RD did with the Black Knight and Ike. Garon's first form took me 3 turns to kill. Took a bit since there genuinely is strong enemies around but my MC and Takumi were enough to beat him in one fight. I was actually expecting him to be harder since his one skill apparently halves damage taken, crits taken and offensive skills but either it's percent based on whether it kicks in or the calculations are done immediately which is sad if that's the case since my level 17 second tier MC was doing like 20 something damage, hitting twice. Final form was beaten in 1 turn thanks to the MC, Takumi and some boots and pairups.

You shouldn't even be able to reach mid to endgame bosses in 1 turn, especially not the final boss. RD didn't allow this (though that games final boss still sucks) and PoR's didn't either and that was a pretty good final boss as far as FE standards go.

TL;DR too much meaningless death, too easy of bosses, first half just flies by and the units are either op or garbage once you get all the royals and retainers.
I originally ditched this game my first time playing on chapter 15 but that was because I was already playing Rekka no Ken and RD and I got FE'd out, plus the game wasn't holding my interest enough. I've finally beaten it and...the gameplay itself is fun but with the low difficulty (which admittedly can be changed) and the meh story and design...idk if I can see myself going back to it.
I played Birthright first as well. While I found that it had a lot of the problems you experienced with it, (and trust me, all the Fates games have similar problems), I found Elise and Xander's arcs in Birthright to be very impactful; I think it was by far the ONLY emotionally engaging portion of Birthright's story. Kaze's death felt forced and unnecessary, albeit it was still upsetting to me as he was my MVP at that point in the game. :/

The gameplay steps up considerably in Conquest and Revelations. Conquest had more potential than Birthright storywise, but a HORRIBLE misstep in the plot was made. It's about as cringe-worthy as any Fire Emblem game has ever been. Revelations has the most underwhelming story, although it has a very satisfying finale. I've heard people complain that the maps in Revelation are too gimmicky, but I personally enjoyed them way more than the maps in either of the other games. I think the other two are worth a shot if you have the time/money.

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I played Birthright first as well. While I found that it had a lot of the problems you experienced with it, (and trust me, all the Fates games have similar problems), I found Elise and Xander's arcs in Birthright to be very impactful; I think it was by far the ONLY emotionally engaging portion of Birthright's story. Kaze's death felt forced and unnecessary, albeit it was still upsetting to me as he was my MVP at that point in the game. :/

The gameplay steps up considerably in Conquest and Revelations. Conquest had more potential than Birthright storywise, but a HORRIBLE misstep in the plot was made. It's about as cringe-worthy as any Fire Emblem game has ever been. Revelations has the most underwhelming story, although it has a very satisfying finale. I've heard people complain that the maps in Revelation are too gimmicky, but I personally enjoyed them way more than the maps in either of the other games. I think the other two are worth a shot if you have the time/money.
I have the bundle version, already started my playthrough of Conquest. Kaze was upsetting for me just because he was playable and had plenty of time to be used. The events of his death come out of basically nowhere. Elise's was just thrown in there to make the player sad. She could've lived like Leo and Camilla or her sacrifice could've made Xander **** off but neither happened, her death was entirely in vain. Xander is just a stubborn fool. He says he had no choice and yet here I am at the beginning of Conquest and he's already gone against the orders of Garon twice. No choice my left foot. He also could've lived seeing as how Leo took a beating and Camilla took 2 and they still lived afterwards.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I'm still yet to bet Conquest after having completed BirthRight (and nearly finished Shadow of Valentia) and one thing i can say i hate the most is how inconsistent the difficulty feels.
Seriously, some maps i will cruise through without a sweat and literally the next map comes to a grinding halt where no of my characters can take on the enemy because they are suddenly 10 levels higher then me, requiring me to grind even though i've already done plenty of grinding (and this is only on Hard). I am honestly wondering how (if any have) people have completed this path without using any DLC maps because seriously jez, i can't tell if it is the game or if i am just really terrible at FE games in general

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
I have the bundle version, already started my playthrough of Conquest. Kaze was upsetting for me just because he was playable and had plenty of time to be used. The events of his death come out of basically nowhere. Elise's was just thrown in there to make the player sad. She could've lived like Leo and Camilla or her sacrifice could've made Xander **** off but neither happened, her death was entirely in vain. Xander is just a stubborn fool. He says he had no choice and yet here I am at the beginning of Conquest and he's already gone against the orders of Garon twice. No choice my left foot. He also could've lived seeing as how Leo took a beating and Camilla took 2 and they still lived afterwards.
My main point still stands; Fates' story is a mess. I think we can all agree on that.

I'm still yet to bet Conquest after having completed BirthRight (and nearly finished Shadow of Valentia) and one thing i can say i hate the most is how inconsistent the difficulty feels.
Seriously, some maps i will cruise through without a sweat and literally the next map comes to a grinding halt where no of my characters can take on the enemy because they are suddenly 10 levels higher then me, requiring me to grind even though i've already done plenty of grinding (and this is only on Hard). I am honestly wondering how (if any have) people have completed this path without using any DLC maps because seriously jez, i can't tell if it is the game or if i am just really terrible at FE games in general

Watch some FE lets plays. You'll be able to gather tactics from other people, find out what works best in certain situations, and learn from other player's mistakes. It's a great way to improve your tactical skills. :grin:

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Watch some FE lets plays. You'll be able to gather tactics from other people, find out what works best in certain situations, and learn from other player's mistakes. It's a great way to improve your tactical skills. :grin:
Huh that's actually a pretty good idea

Any let's players that you'd particularly recommend?

Krysco

Aeon Hero
NNID
Krysco
3DS FC
2122-7731-1180
I'm currently just about halfway through my first playthrough of Conquest (on chapter 13 atm) and I can already say I much prefer it over Birthright. Birthright was so damn easy with it's constantly respawning challenges, allowing for free exp, gold and those points that you use at your castle to get new stuff and upgrade. Sure I could always not use them or I could've played on Hard or Lunatic but I like starting any game on the normal difficulty and only going to harder ones after and I'm the kind of player to get goodies if they're not out of the way such as going for Heart Containers, Energy Tanks or Missile Tanks in Zelda/Metroid if they're along the way. Challenges are pretty much 'along the way' since they appear on the same menu as the story chapter.

Conquest has already thrown a bunch of stuff at me that made me have to actually think a lot and utilize damn near my entire army. For example, I quickly quit using Effie after getting her due to her poor movement but I brought her for chapter 12 since that chapter throws a lot of enemies at you and I needed the +4 defense she gave from being paired with someone. Plus her high defense let her survive on her own when I needed her to.

I will say that the reusing of maps seems pretty lazy. Not counting the first 7 which every path shares since they're before the Branch of Fate, the chapter I'm on now and the chapter with the Rainbow Sage are the same exact maps from Birthright. 13 has the same objective too though the different starting position is neat. Heck, the boss is a dragonrider in both. Rainbow Sage had a slightly different objective (Rout in Birthright compared to just Defeat Boss in Conquest) though I did enjoy the challenge the Conquest version gave.

I also found that Birthright gave you overpowered units too early and too often. Takumi's Fujin Yumi is insane and unless you need the extra resistance from the Illusory Yumi, or are trying to soften up an enemy for another unit to kill, there's no reason not to use it early on. Then there's Ryoma who is vastly overleveled and his Raijinto is insane too. Conquest gives you Camilla pretty early and she's already 2nd tier but they also throw archers around to prevent you from just sweeping maps with her.

I've found the story so far to be meh. Bit better than Birthright's so far but still meh. But the gameplay is already much better. Then again, my favourite FE goes to Radiant Dawn which is one of the hardest*

*for beginners. NTSC version is quite the cakewalk once you know how each chapter works. JP version is naturally harder due to the lack of battle saves and the required use of Master Seals/Crowns to promote. Oh and the lack of Caladbolg, Tarvos and Lugnasadh.

TL;DR enjoying Conquest so far more than Birthright. I have a bad habit of going off on tangents about this series...

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Fates, particularly Conquest and Revelations, is probably one of the best FE in terms of gameplay, map design and class diversity. In fact, I would say that Conquest's maps are the peak of the series when it comes to the overall quality of their designs. But as pointed out, the story is underwhelming. I guess that it came at the cost of having it branch into three different routes. In Revelations for example, your siblings agree on joining you and jumping off the bridge just because... they believe in you, despite the fact that in Birthright a character like Xander remained adamant on following his own path despite knowing how wrong it was, but in Revelations? Easily swayed.
I don't regret playing the game since I enjoyed it a lot, but I need world building and intense conflict in my FE, dammit!
Echoes, thankfully, gave me that.

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
Fates, particularly Conquest and Revelations, is probably one of the best FE in terms of gameplay, map design and class diversity. In fact, I would say that Conquest's maps are the peak of the series when it comes to the overall quality of their designs. But as pointed out, the story is underwhelming. I guess that it came at the cost of having it branch into three different routes. In Revelations for example, your siblings agree on joining you and jumping off the bridge just because... they believe in you, despite the fact that in Birthright a character like Xander remained adamant on following his own path despite knowing how wrong it was, but in Revelations? Easily swayed.
I don't regret playing the game since I enjoyed it a lot, but I need world building and intense conflict in my FE, dammit!
Echoes, thankfully, gave me that.
The big problem with Fates is that it isn't three stories. It's one story, told in three parts, really. Each of them is missing major components if taken alone. Had they all been able to stand alone without so many massive plot holes, it would have been much better off.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
The big problem with Fates is that it isn't three stories. It's one story, told in three parts, really. Each of them is missing major components if taken alone. Had they all been able to stand alone without so many massive plot holes, it would have been much better off.
Don't think it helps that Corrin is one of the most boring protagonist i've even seen

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Don't think it helps that Corrin is one of the most boring protagonist i've even seen

A shame really. Female Corrin, specifically her Smash appearance, has a very a good design in terms of aesthetics and her dragon shape-shifting abilities adds to her appeal but yeah, she is pretty boring and dumb. I don't care about Male Corrin whatsoever.

Top Bottom