• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

telex

Corrin and Robin <3
NNID
tellex1
The biggest problem with the removal of Skinship for me is the fact that it is literally taking away access to assets that are not available anywhere else in the game. The developers probably spent a long time making the fantastic 3D models for every single playable character, and if this is true and they haven't introduced an alternative, it's not going to be possible to view them at all in the Western version. Additionally, people who've played the Japanese version have said that it's beneficial when playing Nohr, as it's difficult to grind for support. All of this kind of makes me question how likely it is that it's actually going to be removed from the game completely, but if it is I will be very pissed off to put it bluntly.

It's not really akin to the censorship that we've seen before like the bust slider in XCX or the alterations to alternate outfits for characters in Bravely Default...it's changing gameplay, and I can't see a good reason why they're doing this. It might be 'weird', but if they're removing a chunk of gameplay they need to add a suitable alternative or charge less for the game.

One of the main reasons why I liked Awakening so much was the characters. I was hyped for this feature (after I got over the initial 'wtf is this' factor) because it was going to allow for the increased reaction with the characters that I wanted in Awakening. 3D models for everyone, and getting to hear proper dialogue lines for every character. It seemed to me like the developers were really doing a good job of realizing where they could expand upon what Awakening built. Taking it out is just...ugh it makes me mad.

Like...I can live without petting Xander's face, but if they could implement something that allows us to hear their dialogue lines, see their 3D models and build support, maybe just without the actual petting, I'd be okay with it.

Last edited:

Yaki

Yamato-Nadeshiko with Good Taste and Opinions
What People from NYC consider Upstate NY.
NNID
GrilledYaki
3DS FC
1891-1180-3868
Honestly the whole removal of the petting isn't that huge when compared to the removal of the Game Corners in Pokemon due to new European laws or something. The game corners were present in nearly every title until HG/SS, and was replaced with an another minigame. The petting thing however, was never present in any other games in the series, and thus the impact of it getting cut isn't as some people are making it. A cut or change that would have been a huge deal would be along the lines of making Camilla's outfit into a vastly different and less flashy design, or even cutting the same-sex s rank supports entirely. At the end of the day, yes the loss of the petting game is kinda sad, but this cut has the potential for the game to not have the reputation people were already giving it.

Rashyboy05

Your Average Touhou fan~
3DS FC
4570-8659-2698
Re: The supposed removal of skinship from Fates.

I'm not 100% convinced that its gonna be removed since the news is from, well, Kotaku and that website has been known for its clickbaity articles these days. However, if it does end up being true, then I'm kinda miffed about the fact that Nintendo has decided to do that. Not gonna parrot what few others had said in this thread but removing a gameplay feature for its western fans is pointless. Even moreso if they're targeting the E/10+ rating since Awakening had none of that Skinship thing and its already rated T and I doubt touching faces of men and women delves into the rated 'M' territory. Then again, AA5:DD got an M rating in the west for no reason.

What is Gaius 2.0 gonna be.... Usagi?
If a rabbit ears accessory is availble in FE:Fates. I am soooo making my Gurei wear that thing.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
*shrugs*

There are most likely changes either way.

Aw cool. wish I could make one like that.

I didn't say I wouldn't

I'm kind of with you on this. Though i kind of hope there is something to help boost relation/ add to the characters. Maybe like the Tea part idea Zantetsugun Zantetsugun said. Just something, sort off like Affinity missions in XCX.

:135:
We even have David Tennant on our side...

...join the Turtle Cult...ShellaCult...TCult

telex

Corrin and Robin <3
NNID
tellex1
Honestly the whole removal of the petting isn't that huge when compared to the removal of the Game Corners in Pokemon due to new European laws or something. The game corners were present in nearly every title until HG/SS, and was replaced with an another minigame. The petting thing however, was never present in any other games in the series, and thus the impact of it getting cut isn't as some people are making it. A cut or change that would have been a huge deal would be along the lines of making Camilla's outfit into a vastly different and less flashy design, or even cutting the same-sex s rank supports entirely. At the end of the day, yes the loss of the petting game is kinda sad, but this cut has the potential for the game to not have the reputation people were already giving it.

I do not see how the potential changing of Camilla's outfit could be as significant as the removal of the Skinship in any way. That's simply an aesthetic change and doesn't affect the gameplay whatsoever. Didn't know about the Pokemon thing, but it sounds somewhat similar to the Skinship situation minus the fact that it wasn't in any other game.

Just because Skinship wasn't in previous FEs doesn't mean that it deserves to be removed. And to me this is only damaging the reputation more. If they wanted to move away from the 'reputation' it was garnering, they should've announced the fact that it would not be included around the time when it was revealed to be in the Japanese version. Announcing it's removal a few weeks before release seems careless. Either way, removing it at any point in time just seems like Nintendo under-evaluating their Western audiences and assuming we are going to lose our **** if anything vaguely not-PG makes it's way into Nintendo game. It's obvious to absolutely everyone that the Fire Emblem series is taking on a different route in it's artstyle and demographic, why not just own it? Nintendo of Japan seemed to be asking themselves the same question when they introduced that feature.

But even then, this is a game about the consequences of war, where some pretty graphic (for a Nintendo game) violence is depicted. Why are they not censoring that?

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
We even have David Tennant on our side...

...join the Turtle Cult...ShellaCult...TCult
Eh, maybe, If I'm not lazy enough too.

Re: The supposed removal of skinship from Fates.

I'm not 100% convinced that its gonna be removed since the news is from, well, Kotaku and that website has been known for its clickbaity articles these days. However, if it does end up being true, then I'm kinda miffed about the fact that Nintendo has decided to do that. Not gonna parrot what few others had said in this thread but removing a gameplay feature for its western fans is pointless. Even moreso if they're targeting the E/10+ rating since Awakening had none of that Skinship thing and its already rated T and I doubt touching faces of men and women delves into the rated 'M' territory. Then again, AA5:DD got an M rating in the west for no reason.

If a rabbit ears accessory is availble in FE:Fates. I am soooo making my Gurei wear that thing.
Why does everyone assume that they are removing it for an E/10+ (not that it will really matter for me, it will probably still be M rated no matter what). Maybe they removed cause they thought people wouldn't find it appropriate, or maybe some marketing/other guy played the game was like 'Um, yeah..... this petting feature.... probably best you remove it.'

What? It could have happened

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
I'm kind of indifferent about the feature being removed form the game. I don't really think I would use the feature anyway but I wouldn't be mad if it was in the game, I just would be indifferent and just support grind because I'm an insane maniac.
What is Gaius 2.0 gonna be.... Usagi?
I've kind of guessed that Sugai could be his English name. In fact, I kind of like the name Sugai.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
I'm kind of indifferent about the feature being removed form the game. I don't really think I would use the feature anyway but I wouldn't be mad if it was in the game, I just would be indifferent and just support grind because I'm an insane maniac.

I've kind of guessed that Sugai could be his English name. In fact, I kind of like the name Sugai.
I guess we will see who will be right then. In before it's like a third name we never comsidered.

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
Well this happened when I was playing chapter 19x in FE 7
upload_2016-1-27_16-55-18.png

He almost had Triple 0s.
Quite strange considering he was next to 2 level 15 snipers.

I would also like to bring up something else that is very weird.
upload_2016-1-27_16-58-32.png
upload_2016-1-27_17-0-16.png
Notice anything strange?
Florina has higher speed than Guy
I don't know it happened but I'm glad it did.

Also I beat Kishuna so I know am able to do chapter 19xx.
Sadly I don't know anything about the next chapter.

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
Florina has higher speed than Guy
Always enjoy reading your posts about FE.

I rarely ever use Florina for anything other than recruiting Fiora, so I'm not too familiar with her growths or how often this may happen. However, I do know that it's not uncommon for a Pegasus Knight class to surpass a Myrmidon class in speed. I believe that Pegasus Knights usually have around the same speed growths as Myrmidons (correct me if I'm wrong, learned this from experience). Most of the time for me, any Myrmidons I choose to level up will have a similar speed stat to a Pegasus Knight of the same level; it doesn't surprise me that she ended up just a little faster than him.

Last edited:

Zantetsugun

Wyvern Lord
NNID
ShiningDestiny
3DS FC
1564-3960-9979
Zantetsugun Zantetsugun Now you have me intrigued. What is this "party system" from the Orochi games?
In Warriors Orochi 3, you have this main camp hub area where you hang out before going into battles, it's actually very similar to the My Castle in Fates, but with less stuff to do. Anyway, in the camp there's this guy who you can talk to who will throw parties for you. Doing so will increase the relationship (referred to as "Bonds" ingame) of whichever character you are currently playing as with all other officers who have joined your army. There are several tiers of parties, the more they cost the better your Bonds will increase. The main use of this mechanic in the game is to unlock bonus stages, you have to increase the bonds between 2 to 3 characters. All of these bonus stages will have at least 1 new character that you unlock upon there completion. Also, characters who have a high relationship with each other, when used in your team together, will get bonuses to all of their stats. It's a very nice addition, as it makes grinding out bonds to unlock the extra stages MUCH faster (as long as you've got the cash for it).

When you initiate a party, the screen fades to a single still image of a party, and 3 random officers will make a comment on the party. They can be pretty funny, especially from some of the more antisocial characters. Unfortunately, every officer only gets one quote, but with all the other voice work that went into the 132 characters (144 in the Ultimate version) it's understandable.

Yaki

Yamato-Nadeshiko with Good Taste and Opinions
What People from NYC consider Upstate NY.
NNID
GrilledYaki
3DS FC
1891-1180-3868
I do not see how the potential changing of Camilla's outfit could be as significant as the removal of the Skinship in any way. That's simply an aesthetic change and doesn't affect the gameplay whatsoever. Didn't know about the Pokemon thing, but it sounds somewhat similar to the Skinship situation minus the fact that it wasn't in any other game.

Just because Skinship wasn't in previous FEs doesn't mean that it deserves to be removed. And to me this is only damaging the reputation more. If they wanted to move away from the 'reputation' it was garnering, they should've announced the fact that it would not be included around the time when it was revealed to be in the Japanese version. Announcing it's removal a few weeks before release seems careless. Either way, removing it at any point in time just seems like Nintendo under-evaluating their Western audiences and assuming we are going to lose our **** if anything vaguely not-PG makes it's way into Nintendo game. It's obvious to absolutely everyone that the Fire Emblem series is taking on a different route in it's artstyle and demographic, why not just own it? Nintendo of Japan seemed to be asking themselves the same question when they introduced that feature.

But even then, this is a game about the consequences of war, where some pretty graphic (for a Nintendo game) violence is depicted. Why are they not censoring that?
Because the American public considers blood and guts commonplace compared the the bare bosom of a woman.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Eh, maybe, If I'm not lazy enough too.

Why does everyone assume that they are removing it for an E/10+ (not that it will really matter for me, it will probably still be M rated no matter what). Maybe they removed cause they thought people wouldn't find it appropriate, or maybe some marketing/other guy played the game was like 'Um, yeah..... this petting feature.... probably best you remove it.'

Don't be lazy
I chose a weird time to come back.

You can't disobey Kilgrave.
Unless you want to die

ThunderSageNun

Nugatory
More or less my stance on the matter as well. I never planned to use it, it sounded weird at first and to aim at the wrong demographic when they mentioned you could strip away characters to their undergarments later down the road (I don't even think that's a proper way to show more physical affection?), but it was entirely ignorable so meh. Now that it's likely removed, I'm not affected at all, as I think it wasnt an interesting gameplay mechanic in the slightest nor a good way to further develop the characters (as if the dialogues they spouted in that could be called development). I can understand people not liking to have content removed, but to outright cancel preorders on the game for that reason alone...stupid, to put it lightly. All I can really say is if that mechanic was that important for potential buyers to consider it being removed a deal breaker that FE was likely not the right series for them in the first place.

Smash Ace
NNID
Marki243
3DS FC
4527-8978-8771
I'm just disappointed that an extra feature apparently "needs" to be removed. I wanted to enjoy the silliness that is petting my big brothers and sisters. Oh well, we'll see what happens and if this is just a business ploy.

Tarastel

Claymore
NNID
Tarastel
Japan and America share some similarities, but overall both countries are drastically different from one another. The norm there isn't the same here.

Petting a person in a game, that statement alone would sound weird for the general audiences in the west. Fire Emblem just got back from nearly ending, don't think Nintendo wants to possibly damage their reputation with anything people would find very bizarre and even uncomfortable. Think some people are more so upset that a feature in general got removed(there are people upset about this feature specifically, not denying that). Honestly I'm pretty neutral with the whole thing in general. I'm more interested in the new game play mechanics, amiibo and dlc. Really loved the dlc in Awakening, Einherjar wars with the smack talk from both sides.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Japan and America share some similarities, but overall both countries are drastically different from one another. The norm there isn't the same here.

Petting a person in a game, that statement alone would sound weird for the general audiences in the west. Fire Emblem just got back from nearly ending, don't think Nintendo wants to possibly damage their reputation with anything people would find very bizarre and even uncomfortable. Think some people are more so upset that a feature in general got removed(there are people upset about this feature specifically, not denying that). Honestly I'm pretty neutral with the whole thing in general. I'm more interested in the new game play mechanics, amiibo and dlc. Really loved the dlc in Awakening, Einherjar wars with the smack talk from both sides.
Japan=Freaky
America=Not So Much

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 9.11.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-27 at 9.11.44 PM.png

So here are the files sizes of Birthright and Conquest. Now, the 3DS follows a block memory system.

128kb = 1 block
1mb = 8 blocks
1gb = 8,192 blocks

So 1634 MB is 13,702 blocks and 1624 MB is 12,992 blocks.

Together they make up 26,694 blocks. Why does this matter? The files size of the Japanese version of Fates is at 24,666 blocks. That's less than the US version.

Either Amie is here to stay or maybe it's about dual audio. How much memory would voiceover audio take up for a game like Fire Emblem?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
View attachment 94067
View attachment 94068

So here are the files sizes of Birthright and Conquest. Now, the 3DS follows a block memory system.

128kb = 1 block
1mb = 8 blocks
1gb = 8,192 blocks

Together they make up 26,694 blocks. Why does this matter? The files size of the Japanese version of Fates is at 24,666 blocks. That's less than the US version.

Either Amie is here to stay or maybe it's about dual audio. How much memory would voiceover audio take up for a game like Fire Emblem?
One big ass game

Smash Ace
NNID
Marki243
3DS FC
4527-8978-8771
View attachment 94067
View attachment 94068

128kb = 1 block
1mb = 8 blocks
1gb = 8,192 blocks

Wait as in one route of Japanese fates is 24,666 blocks or both routes?
Assuming that one route of fates is 24,666 blocks, that must be a lot of content removed or something.

Kotor

Luminary Uppercut!
Wait as in one route of Japanese fates is 24,666 blocks or both routes?
Assuming that one route of fates is 24,666 blocks, that must be a lot of content removed or something.
24,666 blocks refers to both Birthright and Conquest in the Japanese version.

Smash Ace
NNID
Marki243
3DS FC
4527-8978-8771
24,666 blocks refers to both Birthright and Conquest in the Japanese version.
Well then, I'm an idiot and read too fast.
There's a 2,028 block difference, so that would be 253.5MB or so. I downloaded Awakening's English Battle quotes awhile back and that size is 48.3MB in total. Each sound file I downloaded has each character's full list of battle quotes from support quotes to criticals to battle finish quote (as in what they say after defeating an enemy.) to death quotes. I was going somewhere with this...

Milo AKA Papa

Activating Combat Mode
Switch FC
SW-4274-2684-5210

The initial reason would be no matter how "weird" some people may THINK it is, the act itself is at most suggestive, which is something that is allowed in T rated games.

Also, I don't see anything about it on the home page/news section, sooooooooo

what is this for?

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
The initial reason would be no matter how "weird" some people may THINK it is, the act itself is at most suggestive, which is something that is allowed in T rated games.

what is this for?
I was wondering that myself.

Devil May Plop

BANG BANG BANG
NNID
HalfDampKitenSox
3DS FC
0302-0852-2165

what is this for?
I think it's for other websites. That's just a guess, though.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
It'd be cool if in Fates if you marry a child unit that Kanna gets a grand mother/father support or something.

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
View attachment 94067
View attachment 94068

128kb = 1 block
1mb = 8 blocks
1gb = 8,192 blocks

A bigger question emerged when I read those numbers. If both the eastern and western versions of the games have the same amount of content (that would also include the Amie if it does stay in the western versions), what is the additional roughly 250mb in the western versions for?

what is this for?
From what I was told, the QR is for users from sites associated with this one to take a look at a SB user's profile. Could be wrong with this.

Yoite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ryudo212
The skinship stuff was weird af to begin with in my personal opinion but that doesn't mean everyone I know wanted it removed. I see no real reason for them to remove a feature which, if people didn't want in the game, could easily have just avoided it in the first place.

Now what IS VERY annoying to me is the amount of name changes, and the changes in the same sex marriage scenes that I keep seeing around the internet recently.

As well as this god awful English voice acting. I played Awakening in English because I didn't mind the English voice acting but this is making me want to just play in Japanese more and more.

telex

Corrin and Robin <3
NNID
tellex1

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
While I don't think I would have used the petting thing too much in Fates, I still would have at least liked to try it out just to see what it was all about. If it felt too weird then I'd just ignore it, but alas it looks like something that's gonna be cut out which is kinda unfortunate since it sucks to have cut content. But then I guess they are doing it for a good reason.

In other news, I made a thing.

Top Bottom