• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Hm, now that I think about it... If the stars are aligned, I may just get the proper materials off of her to make those niiiice pair of gauntlets I've been eyeing for some time.

After that, its off to fight a walking DBZ reference Rajang *shudder* and finally rank up!

Wintropy Wintropy We need to test our new chars out. My Kirby against your Robin. I wanna see how we fare. :)

Last edited:

Célja

There's no such thing as a nornal person
NNID
EmperorBeefcake
3DS FC
2406-5854-3581
When you JV3 someone by doing an offstage Nosferatu and drag them down with you.

(I may have died first, but Idc that's a JV3)

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
So I found these custom victory themes.
The Hyrule Warriors music used for some of them makes me realize that I need to beat the DLC of that game sometime.

Nah

Smash Champion

I don't expect everyone to be off for Thanksgiving (the one we celebrate in the U.S.). I was just throwing out that if any number of us are off, we could set up a tournament. I apologize if you aren't among those who get the week off. Again, just throwing it out. :p
I'd like to play you again sometime. I at least have the whole rest of the week off so.....

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Captain America Civil War trailer was awesome

D

Deleted member

And I'm probably the only one here who actually bought premium instead of getting gifted. xD

I'm just joking, I know there's some that bought it as well~

Last edited by a moderator:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
And I'm probably the only one here who actually bought premium instead of getting gifted. xD

I'm just joking, I know there's some that bought it as well~
No more Mabel?

:sadsheep:

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276

I'd like to play you again sometime. I at least have the whole rest of the week off so.....
I guess we could play sometime today or tomorrow. Probably some time this evening would be best. I've been less busy this week than I ever have been, so I should have plenty of time (assuming nothing Thanksgiving-related pops up).

:4metaknight:

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
I guess we could play sometime today or tomorrow. Probably some time this evening would be best. I've been less busy this week than I ever have been, so I should have plenty of time (assuming nothing Thanksgiving related pops up).

Sure, this evening would probably be fine. Er, well, depending on what your timezone is.

IAmMetaKnight

The Strongest Warrior in the Galaxy
NNID
Munn_D_C
3DS FC
2251-5635-7276
Sure, this evening would probably be fine. Er, well, depending on what your timezone is.
CST. I live in Minneapolis. I should still be here by this evening, but it's worth noting that I've moved far more times in my life than the average human being, so that could change any day now.

Last edited:

AmericanDJ

Marquess Ostia | Other Trap Butler ★
NNID
Derek123
3DS FC
1650-1984-4165
Switch FC
SW-7880-5897-7871
It's just I reallyyyyyyy like this Link avatar. D:
Mabel is still best gorl though.
That avatar makes me realize that I really need to play some more Hyrule Warriors some time. (Specifically the DLC Adventure Mode maps)

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

WindHero

Smash Regalia
3DS FC
3866-8030-1688
~Skelly~ ~Skelly~ I don't recall any Rajang quests being key quests... Just some Urgents in Caravan.

So, while I was away, Miia got targeted for hunter greaves materials, AmericanDJ got to fight Meta Knight, and there were about 2 or 3 more pages I didn't bother to read.

Well, I'm on Thanksgiving break now! Hopefully I'll have the time to vs. some of you guys here over break, and go to the monthly on Sunday.

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
if you want, but my robin's kinda naff right now. i just picked her back up yesterday on a whim.
Ok. Let me know when you want to play.
~Skelly~ ~Skelly~ I don't recall any Rajang quests being key quests... Just some Urgents in Caravan.
'Twas a joke. I'm aware there are no Rajang key quests (thank heavens) either in 4U or any of the other games as far as I know.

D

Deleted member

Alright @The Soulless One here's some of the vids from some of our link players well 2/3 of the players however some of this footage is from crew battles as this is recent footage.

@ 5:48 is one of our newer players and around 18:52 is our main commentator whose a Link main.

@7:20 for new Link head

@ 4:20 for new head and 13:32 for our main commentator

A whole match of our commentator as of recent from our regional tourney a week or two ago.
@Gamegenie222

Alright,

NOTE: I'll try to focus less on the obvious fundamental flaws and take a look more at their execution with Link's tool set.

I'll start with the FG kid:

First and foremost his projectile pressure is incredibly limited, so often it seems he'll elect to approach and attempt CQC as opposed to pressuring from a distance with all of Link's projectiles, which is dumb because Link's projectiles are so versatile. That is not to say that it is always a bad idea to approach with Link, but in most cases it's better for Link to hang back, build up a wall and force the opponent to approach him. When they (both players) do choose to approach there are a few things which they should definitely do:

1. Not always approach with aerials on shield, yes there is the shield stun buff which makes aerials a bit safer, but they'll still get punished, I saw them come in a number of times with FH falling Nairs, which you can get away with if you space it properly but otherwise you're going to get punished OoS.

2. When they choose to approach they should cover themselves with some sort of projectile pressure (intelligently, they should not blindly throw out projectiles while coming in.), this is again because Link's CQC is slow and usually unsafe.

3. Learn to Bombslide, this is a very very useful movement AT which allows Link to either pressure with bombs or feint pressure with bombs while literally sliding in close to his opponent (after which he can act into a lot of stuff very quickly). It's a good approach option for a character who's usually very slow on the ground.

See the following video for an explanation/introduction to the various bombslides:

(Credit to FSK and Fox is Openly Deceptive for the video).

IMO the forward bombslide, up-throw bombslide, back-throw fakeout bombslide and true back-throw bombslide are the most useful and the ones that a Link should be able to do at will.

Moving on,

In regards to the FG Link, it seems like a lot of his projectile use is almost "thoughtless" in a sense, it seems like he just throws it out there without a particular purpose. On that note I have a comment on the choice of projectiles:

IMO, Link's projectile hierarchy goes like this:

Bombs >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Boomerang >>>>>>>>> Arrows.

Bombs are far and away Link's most versatile projectile ( Z-catch/aerial catch bombs off shield deflections up-thrown bombs, SH Z-Drop bombs onto the stage, soft-throw back throw bombs (which will not detonate when they hit the ground), setups/confirms into U-air, D-air, U-B, Nair) and combined with the movement options they provide Link due to bombsliding a mastery of their use is damn near imperative for high-level Link play IMO.

I probably pull at least 50 bombs in a regular match, if not more.

The Boomerang is good for additional pressure because of its aimability, allowing it to cover angles that the bombs can't, the hitbox is also active for a deceptively long period of time so it can often catch spotdodges, rolls, and missed tech getups.

The bow is good for the occasional bow lock/reset off of close-range missed techs, gimping offstage (because jump steals, etc), and for covering landings and missed tech getups from a distance, but the fact that it locks Link in place means it shouldn't be the go-to option in the neutral unless you're catching a landing from a distance or already have some pressure coming from Link's other projectiles.

In addition to this qualm, I also take issue with the fact that the FG Link is often standing still when throwing out projectiles, one of the advantages that Link has over most of the other projectile characters is that he can be surprisingly mobile while applying projectile pressure, but the FG guy wasn't taking advantage of this and often would just stand in place charging the bow or throwing the boomerang.

One thing that I saw both players do that I think definitely needs to change is the usage of U-throw when the opponent isn't in kill %. Link's U-throw is his kill throw and without rage will kill everyone on the cast save for the super heavies at around 165% (Lightweights will die at 145% and lower), but at lower percents there's not a point to using it because Link has no guaranteed follow-ups out of it so all it does is add damage. In the case where you're throwing just for damage you may as well just use any of Link's other throws, or if you want to put the opponent above you, just use Link's D-throw. Furthermore, when they would throw the opponent upwards, nothing would come out of it, so often the opponent would just fast fall back down to the stage unharmed. Having the opponent above Link is IMO one of his best advantaged states because of the pressure he can apply with bombs and his Uair, up-thrown bombs can be used to keep the opponent in the air (and deal consistent damage, since bombs deal 5% on direct impact and aren't subject to damage-staling) or even better force air-dodges which will lead into Link's Uair.

A brief tangent about Link's Uair:

I like to call it "Frametrapping 101", the move has ridiculous vertical disjointed range and has an active hitbox from frames 11-40. This means that it beats every airdodge in the game, its hitbox is out for a total of 29 frames while the maximum amount of intangibility frames provided by an airdodge in the game is 25. As such an opponent will basically always continue to get juggled if they attempt to airdodge through it. In addition, because of it's very long-lasting hitbox in combination with the fact that Link has a very high fastfalling speed, it is very difficult for an opponent to attempt to airdodge and fastfall through it, as Link can simply fastfall on reaction after the Uair and more often than not he will still connect with the opponent. It's wonderful.

But I digress.

Aside from generally making some questionable/poor fundamental decisions, my biggest points of critique for the FG guy are that he needs to:

1a. Learn to bombslide and learn at what points he should apply this to his game.

1b. Work on applying more projectile pressure, and also work on being more mobile while applying this pressure. Especially work on making bombs the go-to pressure option, there are tons of things that can be done with them.

2. Work on mixing up his approaches, during his Samus match he was easily getting walled out for a good amount of the match, this could've been remedied had he been making use of the platforms to approach instead of trying to tank through Samus's wall of missiles.

3. Work on the various bomb setups and manipulation techniques in order to improve his bomb-pressure game. I reiterate bombsliding but I also again mention the importance of being able to consistently aerial/Z-catch bombs, learn how to soft-throw bombs, etc.

4. Be more aggressive off-stage, Link's Dair beats almost everything and is often at least free damage or a stage spike depending on the character.

------------------------------------------

The "main commentator" guy had similar issues in his execution and decision-making, IMO, but to a less severe degree than the FG guy. One thing in particular I noted was that I don't recall him using Link's Clawshot for a tether recovery even once in all of the matches he provided, this is a great option which can sometimes prevent Link from getting gimped.

I have some particular qualms with some of his decisions overall as well:

I have already noted the "Up-throw" problem, and I feel like his projectile pressuring could also use some work (like the FG guy sometimes it seems a little thoughtless), he also needs to learn to bombslide.

In particular, there were a few times (specifically in the Megaman match) where he would Jab 1 -> Jab 2 -> and then FH Bair when he had free damage from Jab 3 or a Jab Cancel into any other option that would've done damage...? It seems to me like he goes for these needless mixups when they do nothing but let the opponent escape from what may as well have been guaranteed damage.

In the Dr. Mario match, I felt that he sometimes thoughtlessly airdodged (or simply didn't jump away) into the ground, which ended up costing him the match as he jumped off the ledge and just sort of fell into Doc's charged U-Smash.

In the Ganondorf match, instead of standing back, building a projectile wall and attempting to maintain consistent stage control, he continuously approached Ganondorf when that is what Ganondorf wants basically everybody to do. Link especially can't risk playing CQC with Ganondorf because his CQC is slow to the point that Ganon can actually keep up with him. Here too there were sometimes where I felt tether recovering would've saved his stocks where instead he chose to U-B and got edgeguarded.

Like the FG guy, this commentator also needs to work on his bomb tech: Z-catching, soft-throws, etc.

-----------------------

That covers most of the specifics that I can think of, a few additional notes in closing:

1. Link's Hylian shield will block projectiles on the ground while both standing still and while walking, the only times it won't is when Link is dashing or when Link has a bomb in his hand. (I mention this because the main commentator guy apparently didn't know this, which honestly made me lol because it's a rather basic piece of knowledge).

2. Neither of these guys seem to believe in pummeling when they get a grab, both of them threw the opponent away immediately. There's never any sense in giving up a chance at some free damage like that, they need to remember to pummel.

3. One additional tech note: Link can SH Bair and the Bair will actually end early enough that Link can actually DJ before landing and throw out another aerial or do something else, just a minor note in regards to pressure ideas.

For more general tech information and useful stuff (such as Link's frame-perfect DI-dependent Hoo-Hah, other fancy technical stuff), please read the OPs of Link's Metagame and AT threads which are here and here respectively.

That's all I got for now, let me know if you have any other questions.~

Last edited by a moderator:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
sorry, ~Skelly~ ~Skelly~ , i can't play in that kind of lag. i can't concentrate on what i'm doing.

good games either way. i'd recommend you not use so much of final cutter, hammer and stone, they're very easy to read and punish. decent combo game though, refine that and you may be onto something good!

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Ok. Let me know when you want to play.
'Twas a joke. I'm aware there are no Rajang key quests (thank heavens) either in 4U or any of the other games as far as I know.
We could always play...if I wasn't at schook right now(maybe you'll beat my secret random character)

Top Bottom