• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Assuming I'm reading the trailer correctly, it's a mobile-based ARG in the same vein as Niantic Labs' Ingress.

Effectively, real-world locations on a map - as determined by GPS coordinates - are assigned events in the game. More succinctly, things happen based on where you actually, physically are.

The net effect is that wild pokemon spawn in actual locations, and if you want them, you, physically, will have to travel to these locations, hunt them down, and catch them. Or I guess trade if you're lazy or homebound.

Certain major events will also apparently happen at fixed locations. In the trailer we saw a mass battle with Mewtwo in Times Square; I suspect that we'll see other legendary distributions - maybe the Legendary Beasts could inspire some cross-country shenanigans.

If it's anything like Ingress, people will probably do some bonkers stuff in real life to search for virtual 'mons. I never got deep into Ingress, but - assuming my phone cooperates - I'm gonna be all in GO like a wedgie.

Now what the trailer shows that is unlikely to actually occur, far as I know, is the actual overlay of the Pokemon into our world, AR style. Mobile devices can technically do it to some degree, but the tech necessary to determine exactly what a valid surface would be is beyond many phones' capabilities as far as I know, at least without setup involved. Of course, if they make a version compatible with, say, Google Glass, then all that goes out the window.

[EDIT]: And then I do some research, because logical progression.

In addition to the above, Nintendo is developing a watch-like Pokemon Go Plus that syncs to your phone via Bluetooth and keeps track of local events. If something goes down nearby, say a wild Pokemon appears - it notifies you and can even perform simple actions, such as catching them. The idea is probably so you don't have to have your phone out 24/7 to play.
Oh, so it's similar to that thing that google did where you could find pokemon in really life locations using google maps?

If you explanations right, ti would explain a number of jokes I have seen about it.

Hm, I might actually do this. Would be kind of fun just walking down the street and a wild pokemon appears and I'm seen standing in the middle of the street playing with my watch.

:135:

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Two words: Mark Hamil.

He voices The Watcher. To sum him up: if Navi was a complete ******* and sounded like The Joker.
That motivates me even more to play Darksiders. Also, imma use that gif for when we get new users.
So, I have to confess something.

I kind of had a breakdown today. That isn't strange for me, it happens pretty much every other week, but this was...severe. I broke down crying, punched the walls and floor, dug my nails into my face, scratched my arms until I came close to bleeding, hit my head against the door frame, screamed at my family...just proper meltdown ****. It got to the stage where I didn't know what to do except sit down and wait for death. I just curled up on the floor and whimpered for a bit when I'd finished trying to claw my flesh off. It physically hurt to move. I wanted to erase myself.

Fortunately, something good came of it. I am now going to see a therapist to treat my OCD. This is something I've wanted to do for some time, but have never had the courage to say it to my family. I'm going to try and undergo CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy), which is essentially an incremental procedure which trains the patient to "uncondition" themselves of their compulsions. It's going to be a very difficult process for me, due to how deeply entrenched my condition is, but I am confident I can overcome it in due time. It's going to be exciting and scary in equal measure, so it'd mean the world to me if I know I have my fellow tacticians to help me.

I'm sorry that I've been difficult to talk to recently, but I am confident that this will be good for me. It's something I need to do. And I just want to say, if anybody ever tells you that OCD isn't a big deal or it's something you can just get over, slap them. Hard. OCD is a nightmare of a condition that makes daily existence very difficult for the sufferer, it isn't something that anybody needs to bear by themselves. That said, if somebody tells you it can't be overcome, slap them even harder. OCD can be overcome, but it takes time and effort. It's a challenging process for everybody involved, but it can be done. It's the biggest change I've ever had to undergo in my life. If I can do it, then everybody can.
I'm not one who can give you verbal support, mainly because most times I end up choosing my words poorly, very poorly.

HOWEVER! That doesn't mean I can't give support to people who need it. Even though I hardly know you, or anyone else here for that matter, I do know that you are well loved here and that it pains the other users when they see you down in the dumps. For what its worth, I will be more than happy to help you and the other users in any way I can, so don't hesitate to come to me for help and/or to make you feel better.

All I can say is: Get the help you need. We are all here for you and hope you get better.

Since I'm more of a visual supporter, and since I've been playing MH4U recently, here's a funny Monster Hunter video in the hopes I make you feel better (bonus points if I make you laugh):
I'm lonely and want to do team battles, anyone want to join? Only banned stages and items are allowed cause we ESports.
If you're still available, I'll be your dance partner this evening.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Ya
That motivates me even more to play Darksiders. Also, imma use that gif for when we get new users.

I'm not one who can give you verbal support, mainly because most times I end up choosing my words poorly, very poorly.

HOWEVER! That doesn't mean I can't give support to people who need it. Even though I hardly know you, or anyone else here for that matter, I do know that you are well loved here and that it pains the other users when they see you down in the dumps. For what its worth, I will be more than happy to help you and the other users in any way I can, so don't hesitate to come to me for help and/or to make you feel better.

All I can say is: Get the help you need. We are all here for you and hope you get better.

Since I'm more of a visual supporter, and since I've been playing MH4U recently, here's a funny Monster Hunter video in the hopes I make you feel better (bonus points if I make you laugh):

If you're still available, I'll be your dance partner this evening.
Yay. I'll add you

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
Oh, so it's similar to that thing that google did where you could find pokemon in really life locations using google maps?

If you explanations right, ti would explain a number of jokes I have seen about it.

Hm, I might actually do this. Would be kind of fun just walking down the street and a wild pokemon appears and I'm seen standing in the middle of the street playing with my watch.

Sort of, except you won't be able to scroll the map to find them; you'll have to actually be nearby.

Probably what'll happen is they'll assign spawn rates for certain 'mons to areas. Kind of like every place you go is Route Whatever, and tall grass is everywhere. We don't have information, as far as I know, if certain 'mons will be in specific locations, but I got this sneaking suspicion that legendaries will be. Or maybe they'll move around, and we'll have to keep an eye on their path. That's what I'd do were it up to me, but it ain't.

If you want a better impression, Ingress is free, go snap it up. GO is basically Ingress x Pokemon; swap portals for 'mons and you'll understand kind of what they're going for.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Sort of, except you won't be able to scroll the map to find them; you'll have to actually be nearby.

Probably what'll happen is they'll assign spawn rates for certain 'mons to areas. Kind of like every place you go is Route Whatever, and tall grass is everywhere. We don't have information, as far as I know, if certain 'mons will be in specific locations, but I got this sneaking suspicion that legendaries will be. Or maybe they'll move around, and we'll have to keep an eye on their path. That's what I'd do were it up to me, but it ain't.

If you want a better impression, Ingress is free, go snap it up. GO is basically Ingress x Pokemon; swap portals for 'mons and you'll understand kind of what they're going for.
Makes sense.

I can see that working.

Hm, I guess i'll go check it out then.

Nah

Smash Champion
Thanks anyway! I quite enjoyed it, for what it was worth; you gave me a good challenge, and it's been a while since I've fought matches that were that exhilarating.

I think your playstyle is that of one who clearly knows what he's doing. That first finishing kill with Robin was phenomenal. I would always laugh at people when they'd get caught by the LSU-air offstage. Looks like I got a taste of my own medicine. You've severely humbled me in that regard.

You've certainly got your techs down pretty good, though I have seen better. But let's look for potential improvements, shall we?

I think you play a good combination of defense and offense, and you certainly know how to smoke out defensive players. Your spacing and punishment techs with Robin were great, but I think your Lucina could use a bit of improvement. Now, it could be simply because... well... it's Lucina, but I believe you went into all out offensive mode with her when it may not have been necessary, and Lucina is better off going with mind games anyway. She has great aerial defense, so I personally believe that her best potential is playing defensively and utilizing punishers. She may seem like a character with god-like spacing at first glance, but she's not the queen of reach like Marth is. (heheh) This is just me, but I think you could throw more of the shield breaker in there. No doubt you've seen people wreak havoc with that thing in the air, and it's especially good as a sudden kill strike.

Other than that, I think the reason I kept beating you is simply by virtue of the Meta Knight/Lucina matchup. Lucina's got fast-frame spacers that pop out quickly, but they have reasonable amounts of end-lag and are extremely punishable. Meta Knight is fast enough and has good enough reach to heavily counter her in that aspect. Not to mention he has some punishers that give massive momentum and approach options, Mach Tornado and Drill Rush, plus a deadly counter move, in this case, Dimensional Cape. Meta Knight is probably Lucina's worst matchup, and Lucina doesn't have the right approach techs to deal effectively with Robin.

I think your Robin is almost perfect. It just needs a few patches here and there. I think the main reason you lost those ones was that you kept relying mostly on spacing and punishing techs. I know people have said those are what make Robin, but I think Robin has much more to offer. The wind-jab is definitely the move you wan to go for when punishing, maybe following up with some LS combo techs. You took good advantage of the Levin Sword, but not quite enough in my opinion. Then again, I usually lose my Levin Sword super early, so it's probably just be me.

I think what got you most of the time was my resorting to mind games. You held up good for a while, better than most actually, but eventually you started to fall for some of my tricks, and got majorly punished. Meta Knight has enough aerial agility and attack frames to confuse and punish the **** out of anyone, so it's no big surprise.

I wish I could've seen your Falco. Robin/Falco is always an interesting matchup. I've heard people say Falco counters Robin, but I've generally held up well against Falco. I think it's because people tend to forget about Robin's excellent aerial approach game, as well as the fact that Falco's reflector is really punishable, and not all that suitable for, well... reflecting. It's easy to get at Falco with mind games, especially if one utilizes projectiles, and not the opposite.

Now that that's all said and done, how did I do? Did you identify any particular point of weakness? Any suggestions for improvements? Please bring any to my attention, if you can. Thanks again. :grin:
You really think my Robin is that good? Idk, I feel like you're overselling me a bit, but.....

And yeah, I agree with you that Lucina should be played in a generally more defensive manner. Not that I ever do really play her very defensively, but that was more aggressive than I usually am with her and idk why I got like that. Didn't know that Meta Knight was such a bad matchup for her though.

There's always next time for Falco v. Robin. I'm probably not the most qualified person to say it (Gamegenie would be better since he knows Robin, and Falco in particular, better than I do) but I don't think that Falco really counters Robin. More like has a slight advantage imo. His mobility's not amazing but it's a lot better than like, Ganondorf, and so if/when he gets in he can do some serious damage since he's good at close combat. His reflector's not the best but it's also not ROB's garbage "reflector" so it can put a little work in and make you hesitate to use Thunder spells.

As for you....I kinda find it hard to tell people what they can improve on, especially when they won most of the matches. it doesn't help that my memory's not the greatest and i didn't save the replays But one thing I do remember is that you used jab a lot. More than any Meta Knight I've ever seen. And while it IS cool looking and you hit me with it a lot, it does still have some serious endlag and the times I did shield it meant I got a free Levin Fsmash. sorry I can't think of much

Chapter Serf

Ace Skell Pilot
NNID
ChapterSerf
3DS FC
3969-7074-2956
OH MY GOD!!! I'M SUCH AN IDIOT!!!
View attachment 73856
I NEVER KNEW THERE WAS AN IGNORE BUTTON XD Smashboards just got a whole lot easier.

:link:
It's also the best ignore I've seen on any forums.
On other forums, using the ignore feature puts up this ugly reminder every time someone posts, complete with their Avatar and username and just blocks out the message, but nevertheless reminding you that you're ignoring this person. A constant reminder of the filth you're trying to filter. SmashBoards completely removes that person's posts for you. You don't even see that they've posted. All you have to remind you of your ignoring them is a tiny message at the very bottom of a page where they post which says "Show Ignored Content" and, if you pay attention to post numbers, an odd break in the sequence. It's really easy to forget that you're ignoring someone. Which is really nice. I hate those forums which give you reminders of the crap you're trying to ignore.

In other news...

Does anyone know if you can use the WiiU Pro controller to play something like Xenoblade Chronicles? Or would I need to get a Wii version of that controller? I've been trying to play Xenoblade Chronicles ever since it came out but I just can't use that control schema of the Wiimote and Nunchuck.

Last edited:

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
id be down to discuss any MU's even though Im probably not known much as a Robin (rip custom ganon dreamz) but Ive been playing smash competitively since 2009. I really should try to be more active on the boards and post replays and stuff to get better, but being good at videogames at age 25 has kinda lost its luster, at least for me lol

also hello again Red, I dream of my fizzy even to this day

Last edited:

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
It's also the best ignore I've seen on any forums.
On other forums, using the ignore feature puts up this ugly reminder every time someone posts, complete with their Avatar and username and just blocks out the message, but nevertheless reminding you that you're ignoring this person. A constant reminder of the filth you're trying to filter. SmashBoards completely removes that person's posts for you. You don't even see that they've posted. All you have to remind you of your ignoring them is a tiny message at the very bottom of a page where they post which says "Show Ignored Content" and, if you pay attention to post numbers, an odd break in the sequence. It's really easy to forget that you're ignoring someone. Which is really nice. I hate those forums which give you reminders of the crap you're trying to ignore.

In other news...

Does anyone know if you can use the WiiU Pro controller to play something like Xenoblade Chronicles? Or would I need to get a Wii version of that controller? I've been trying to play Xenoblade Chronicles ever since it came out but I just can't use that control schema of the Wiimote and Nunchuck.
I know right XD and no you can't unless you mean X.

D

Deleted member

Are you talking about the original or X?
I can't answer for X (but I think you can use that controller), but in the original you can't use the Wii U Pro Controller. Hell, you can't use that controller for any Wii game in general. You can get a Wii Classic Controller (Pro) and play the game that way.
I got used to the Wii Remote and Nunchuk controls just fine.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Funny thing about time.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect but actually it's more like a great big ball of wibbly wobbly time wimey.........stuff.

It's probable to difficult for you normal humans to understand.

smokebomb12

Banned via Administration
NNID
SmokebombX13
3DS FC
5198-3160-1382
Funny thing about time.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect but actually it's more like a great big ball of wibbly wobbly time wimey.........stuff.

It's probable to difficult for you normal humans to understand.

“The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.”

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
“The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.”

"Nothing is ever forgotten, not completely, and, if something can be remembered, it can come back."

redfeatherraven

Walk the Earth
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
RedTheMastermind
3DS FC
0576-4747-0597
Switch FC
SW-4098-7445-3995
id be down to discuss any MU's even though Im probably not known much as a Robin (rip custom ganon dreamz) but Ive been playing smash competitively since 2009. I really should try to be more active on the boards and post replays and stuff to get better, but being good at videogames at age 25 has kinda lost its luster, at least for me lol

also hello again Red, I dream of my fizzy even to this day
Heyo Fizzy.

I still have the files and have considered the project to this day, I just can't seem to get a logo together that I really like. But I have yet to give up entirely - I'm stubborn like that - and if I can, you'll be the first to know.

Also, I'm pretty much in the same skill boat, with another two years tacked on for good measure. But even as a casual scrubachu, community's still good stuff.

Shoutouts to @ redfeatherraven redfeatherraven for making my new favourite "intensify" GIF. >: /
Was my pleasure.

Last edited:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
And Darksiders 2 has Michael Wincott as Death. Michael Wincott as in Top Dollar from The Crow. It's ironic when you think about it.

Oh, and that game I talked about, Battle Chasers: Nightwar? It has a trailer and man, it looks beautiful. This is art direction, folks. This is what art direction can do to a game. Maybe it'll end up playing like a regular, old school RPG like Final Fantasy, Bravely Default, and er... I don't really know many turn-based RPGs made in the west, but even still, a game that beautiful... Garrison is like if Ike was in the universe of Berserk and guess what? It wouldn't be far-fetched, but Fire Emblem had to stay somewhat family-friendly. Game already met its Kickstarter goal of 500,000 USD.

Speaking of art direction, I kind of wished The King of Fighters XIV went the route of Marvel vs. Capcom 3 or Guilty Gear Xrd where the models are 3D, but cel-shaded.

Instead, we have something more realistic which takes away from the beautiful, but time-consuming and difficult to do 2D sprites KOF XIII had. Now it kind of looks like Virtua Fighter or kind of DoA. Street Fighter V at least has this feel where it's realistically rendered, but also has a cartoon-y feel.

Last edited:

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
Groose would be such a good addition lol.

speaking of zelda, i forgot to mention that aside from smash I'm a big Ocarina of Time speedrunner. Been running various OoT categories for around 4 years now, that game is more broken than brawl MK

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Top Bottom