• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "Time to Tip the Scales!" - Robin Social Thread

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
I think they started everyone in winners for top 64 (that's what I figured out from the fact that GimR vs. Day actually happened).

Which means he probably did lose to Pitbull. Fricking weird bracket procedures. :urg:
Oh I see...

Dang, hopefully he hangs in there

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
@ SpiralGalaxies SpiralGalaxies Thank you! I'll stay around for sure, since Robin is growing on me. I always find these characters more interesting and fun compared to the incredibly fast ones like Shiek, C. Falcon and Yoshi, and of course Zero Suit Samus which I have so much problem with despite what character I play (Small rant.)
This is pretty much my problems too. I cannot play fast characters for the life of me. i can't keep up. All my characters I play/have played are on the slower end of things which is why I am able to play them. I think the fastest character I played was Toon Link, but I don't do that anymore. :p

The_Cardinal

We have become a spectacle to the world.
NNID
CardinalGP
I guess down-throw into something? I did read Avokha00's post though and I should probably think more like that.

Otherwise I have a bit of a problem 'setting things up' for me. Not fast enough to reach the Arcfire, or the Arcthunder, and the down-throw starts to work at a little bit higher percentages (depending on what opponent) but I still got problem to connect things to an actual combo. It becomes more of a string-combo than true-combo.

Not that I mind. Mind games and combo-strings are fun to play with, to make the opponent believe the usual 'uair' is coming but I stead you wait for an up smash or just a forward smash for them to air dodge and land into.

It seems you did some research already but to make sure we're on the same page.

D-throw follow-ups can be a bit awkward since it's very character dependent, especially at higher percentages. Rule of thumb:

Low percents: a simple dthrow - jab will work wonders and is pretty consistent. Some characters may fall out of the wind variation more easily while some like Sheik and Ryu will be eaten alive by it, even a bit beyond low percent.

low-mid percents: dthrow-utilt or dthrow-frame/airdodge trap. Some characters you may have to start with dthrow-utilt right away instead of dthrow-jab especially if you have rage, if I'm correct. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

high percent: dthrow-frame/airdoge trap or CHECKMATE (dthrow-levin uair). The checkmate, while reliable on most if not all characters, varies drastically on what percent you can pull it off based on the character. But it is a true combo.

As for Arcfire, just start with a simple forward short hop levin fair or levin uair, assuming you did it on the ground. You may need to run or not depending on the distance. Arcfire provides plenty of stun time so you don't really need to buffer the inputs.

Same things can apply to a close-mid range arcthunder and thanks to the new patch buffs, it has plenty of new follow-ups including dthrow (see above). But if you're struggling with combos, just keep it simple with levin fair, levin uair, dthrow, and if it's point blank, smash attack also work.

A lot of these combos aren't that hard, and as discussed earlier Robin isn't that big of a combo machine when compared to let's say Sheik. If anything the hardest thing may be checkmate, but again that has more to do with how it varies drastically of when you can do it on each character than actual execution. So just practice a bit in training mode (although training mode may read arcfire combos a bit strangely) and you will be fine.

Edit: NOOO! Dath!:cry:

Last edited:

SpiralGalaxies

Smash Lord
NNID
SpiralGalaxies
Nooo Dath. D:

I find it funny that my Ike, which I've been playing for like two weeks, is better than my Robin. who I've played since smash 4 was released. (Though I did take a months break from Robin so maybe that did it.)

NNID
evenet2013
3DS FC
1005-8775-7263
It seems you did some research already but to make sure we're on the same page.

D-throw follow-ups can be a bit awkward since it's very character dependent, especially at higher percentages. Rule of thumb:

Low percents: a simple dthrow - jab will work wonders and is pretty consistent. Some characters may fall out of the wind variation more easily while some like Sheik and Ryu will be eaten alive by it, even a bit beyond low percent.

low-mid percents: dthrow-utilt or dthrow-frame/airdodge trap. Some characters you may have to start with dthrow-utilt right away instead of dthrow-jab especially if you have rage, if I'm correct. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

high percent: dthrow-frame/airdoge trap or CHECKMATE (dthrow-levin uair). The checkmate, while reliable on most if not all characters, varies drastically on what percent you can pull it off based on the character. But it is a true combo.

As for Arcfire, just start with a simple forward short hop levin fair or levin uair, assuming you did it on the ground. You may need to run or not depending on the distance. Arcfire provides plenty of stun time so you don't really need to buffer the inputs.

Same things can apply to a close-mid range arcthunder and thanks to the new patch buffs, it has plenty of new follow-ups including dthrow (see above). But if you're struggling with combos, just keep it simple with levin fair, levin uair, dthrow, and if it's point blank, smash attack also work.

A lot of these combos aren't that hard, and as discussed earlier Robin isn't that big of a combo machine when compared to let's say Sheik. If anything the hardest thing may be checkmate, but again that has more to do with how it varies drastically of when you can do it on each character than actual execution. So just practice a bit in training mode (although training mode may read arcfire combos a bit strangely) and you will be fine.

Edit: NOOO! Dath!:cry:
Also Levin fair strings (usually I can get 3) do a ton of damage

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Did Pink Fresh enter singles or was he busy getting reared for doubles(before it got canceled)?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I know he entered PM but other than that I don't know.
He's the only good Lucas player and the only black man(representing) to use Pit so well he almost beat Angel Cortes. Pit/Lucas seems like a great duo to have.

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
Yo, PM is pretty hype right now, especially with the amazing 13 year old prodigy, Mr. L, sitting in GRAND FINALS.

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
I actually want to try out PM so I can try out some dank techniques. Last time I checked, Brawl was under 30 dollars on Amazon.

-waits for his paycheck to come in-

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
Any Metal Gear fans

I don't understand the reference, but for any one who does, enjoy :happysheep:

:135:
Its a reference and part of the lyrics to the song 'Snake Eater' from MGS3. It's a great game. You should play it when you get the chance.

RobinOnDrugs

Anyone watching Sm4sh Paragon on VGBootCamp? So far Slayer is blazing his way through the bracket as Peach, making it to Loser's Top 8.

He took out ESAM :(

D

Deleted member

Anyone watching Sm4sh Paragon on VGBootCamp? So far Slayer is blazing his way through the bracket as Peach, making it to Loser's Top 8.

I heard.

Still props to Slayer. I heard that he's a good Peach.

Last edited by a moderator:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

RIP ESAM. Also, that Ryu ditto was so F*CKI
What's the 3ds version like?

Also, I've heard that song before. It's a cool song!

The same as the original but in 3D, and has Yoshi dolls.
NG HYPE!

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Fire Emblem - Thracia 776 (Japan)020.png

just another random enemy in Thracia 776

I also just finished Chapter 22, the other infamously difficult chapter. Tons of ballistae, killer weapons, and hammers, so fliers, armour knights, and the like are useless. Then there's this guy:
thracia22.png

Always attacks first, always attacks at least twice (if not 3 or 4 times) because he has a brave weapon, does about 30 damage per hit because his weapon has 15 might, and is surrounded by a bunch of Thoron-wielding mage knights who all get +15 Hit/Avoid because of Rinehart's five leadership stars.
Then there's the small matter of Cyas, who comes with two infinite-range status staves, and a grand total of ten leadership stars, which gives every enemy on the map other than Rinehart's army +30 Hit/Avoid.
Yeah... doesn't sound very fun.
I beat the level in two turns with no casualties thanks to warp/rescue staff shenanigans. :troll:

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
View attachment 72135
just another random enemy in Thracia 776

I also just finished Chapter 22, the other infamously difficult chapter. Tons of ballistae, killer weapons, and hammers, so fliers, armour knights, and the like are useless. Then there's this guy:
View attachment 72136
Always attacks first, always attacks at least twice (if not 3 or 4 times) because he has a brave weapon, does about 30 damage per hit because his weapon has 15 might, and is surrounded by a bunch of Thoron-wielding mage knights who all get +15 Hit/Avoid because of Rinehart's five leadership stars.
Then there's the small matter of Cyas, who comes with two infinite-range status staves, and a grand total of ten leadership stars, which gives every enemy on the map other than Rinehart's army +30 Hit/Avoid.
Yeah... doesn't sound very fun.
I beat the level in two turns with no casualties thanks to warp/rescue staff shenanigans. :troll:
Donnelly is better...don't hurt me...yet

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
What's the 3ds version like?
The only problems it has compared to home console versions are the smaller screen, and some framerate issues in certain boss battles. Otherwise, it's actually superior to the home console versions because of some added gameplay features that don't exist in the PlayStation versions. Definitely recommended if you don't already have it on PS2/3.

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
The only problems it has compared to home console versions are the smaller screen, and some framerate issues in certain boss battles. Otherwise, it's actually superior to the home console versions because of some added gameplay features that don't exist in the PlayStation versions. Definitely recommended if you don't already have it on PS2/3.
I considered getting the 3DS version a couple of times but always held back on it because I already own it with the MGS Collection on the 360. Should I get it or no?

Btw, this has been bothering me for awhile now and I'm just curious, but where did your username 'Moydow' come from?

NNID
evenet2013
3DS FC
1005-8775-7263
Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Here's a first 15 minute gameplay video of Snake Eater 3D. You should be able to get it at the eShop.
Oh, that looks cool.

Never really have had a problem with smaller screens.

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
I considered getting the 3DS version a couple of times but always held back on it because I already own it with the MGS Collection on the 360. Should I get it or no?
If you already have it then I'd say no, unless you really want MGS on the go (which isn't such a bad reason, really), want to be able to shoot lots of Yoshis (they replace the Kerotan frogs), or just like owning the same game twice.

Btw, this has been bothering me for awhile now and I'm just curious, but where did your username 'Moydow' come from?
some Irish stuff, the exact details of which I'd rather not divulge (sorry)

Last edited:

~Skelly~

For the Empire
NNID
SkeletonoFun
3DS FC
0232-8371-3002
some Irish stuff, the exact details of which I'd rather not divulge (sorry)
I kinda figured it was Irish and I think I got a general idea of what it means. Maybe. Sorry you couldn't go into specifics, but I thank you for at least feeding my curiosity. Thanks.

Last edited:

The_Cardinal

NNID
CardinalGP
Is he Mr. R's brother? :p
You'd think huh? Along with their with their cousin Mr. E and their long lost Japanese relative, Mr. ii. Haha.

I actually got his name wrong though so that kinda ruins that train of thought. It's Mr. Lz.

The kid won the tournament by the way, so mad props to him.

Last edited:

RobinOnDrugs

Ally survived all the way up to 211% before getting his first stock taken out in the second game against Mr. R. Just holy crap!

Now R is whipping out his Ryu!

EDIT: THAT FIRST STOCK AND SHORYUKEN AT THE END!

EDIT 2: GAME THREE BABY!

Ally vs. Mr. R is turning out to be one of my favorite matches in all of Sm4sh Paragon 2015. Mr. R thought right to go for Ryu.

LAST ****ING EDIT: THAT PAUSE AT THE END! Ally had to beat Mr. R to nearly 200% to take him out of the tournament with only less than two minutes left. That was so intense!

Last edited:
Top Bottom