• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Time to Tip the Scales Again! - Robin Social Thread

Nah

Smash Champion
female Robin has largely been an afterthought to Nintendo for whatever reason, they've always promoted the male version more

the Corrins they seem to promote equally, idk why it's different for them

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Given how Kris from FE12 is gaining traction from Cipher art, he's already been shown to get more attention than his female counterpart. I don't think she's ever been drawn outside of her official artwork. Yet.

Maybe Nintendo has a subtle preference for canon? That they wholeheartedly believe that M!Kris is canon so they promote him, M!Robin is is canon so they promote him, and as for the Corrins, well, M!Corrin is canon for Birthright and F!Corrin is canon for Conquest, so it makes sense that they'd equally promote both instead of one over the other. They just won't explicitly state that because they want the players to feel connected to the game. I don't really know, I'm just making guesses here.

Whatever their reason is, you won't see me complaining. If Nintendo gives M!Robin special treatment, I couldn't be any happier. He's my favorite videogame character of all time.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Given how Kris from FE12 is gaining traction from Cipher art, he's already been shown to get more attention than his female counterpart. I don't think she's ever been drawn outside of her official artwork. Yet.

Maybe Nintendo has a subtle preference for canon? That they wholeheartedly believe that M!Kris is canon so they promote him, M!Robin is is canon so they promote him, and as for the Corrins, well, M!Corrin is canon for Birthright and F!Corrin is canon for Conquest, so it makes sense that they'd equally promote both instead of one over the other. They just won't explicitly state that because they want the players to feel connected to the game. I don't really know, I'm just making guesses here.

Whatever their reason is, you won't see me complaining. If Nintendo gives M!Robin special treatment, I couldn't be any happier. He's my favorite videogame character of all time.
While I prefer male Robin more as well, I don't think you can definitively say that one Robin is any more canon than the other.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
While I prefer male Robin more as well, I don't think you can definitively say that one Robin is any more canon than the other.
Hmm, no, you're absolutely right. Although there's evidence that I'd like to believe that suggests so, it's nothing but speculation.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Hmm, no, you're absolutely right. Although there's evidence that I'd like to believe that suggests so, it's nothing but speculation.
Indeed. There is some evidence, but it's not conclusive. However, Male Robin is the main Robin for me.

pik3rob

Smash Cadet
Hmm... looking at the nerfs, none of them seem too significant, except that Arcfire is smaller. At least from when I play, Arcfire was never something that I used against other projectiles anyway, so the fact that it doesn't activate on projectiles doesn't bother me. The arcthunder nerf also isn't very significant, since it looks like you should be able to grab them if they're close, and shooting arcthunder from far away is something pretty much never works anyway. Arcthunder is mostly good as a short range attack imo. The levin sword having to charge in the beginning is rather odd tho. It shouldn't be a huge problem, but god does that decision confuse me. Past that, it does look like the things that were buffed were the things that actually matter to me, so I'm still rather happy with how he looks, despite some of these changes baffling me.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
Mind listing them here? If you don't mind.
>Smaller Arcfire that just disappears when clanking with projectiles
>Arcthunder's hits are quicker, eliminating follow-ups
>(already known but) Can't use the Levin Sword at the start of a match

What wasn't covered: Elwind seems to have had its durability nearly halved from 18 to 10. Meaning you can only get 5 recoveries out of it.

It's a bunch of bizarre nerfs and trade-offs.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
As explored in the Discord, Robin's projectile combo game has been severely limited now in exchange for a power boost. Arcthunder does 23%(30 in 1v1)dmg and really hurts shields, Thoron is more powerful and has an earlier kill confirm through dmg numbers.

Levin Nair + Jumpsquat changes makes our aerial options scary. Do not underestimate Levin Nair and don't be surprised most of your Levin Sword attacks are from this new move. It is that good.

Arcfire is smaller as a fireball, but the distance it goes drastically increased, making this a more viable off-stage or edgeguarding tool. The pillar is better at locking opponents and is slightly larger and lasts slightly longer, Many are saying that Arcfire is the new Arcthunder when it comes to potential combo set-ups, and that it was possible to get a new Ignis off of it.

Robin is a whole new character fighter now. Get to practicing.

Last edited:

hermes

Smash Apprentice
I didnt play robin in wii u but Im interested now. I dont see him faster at all. maybe thats because everyone got sped up so I dont see the buff.

I also like the change on artworks, especially female one. she was so generic looking wii u that I thought she was never the canon robin. I still think she isnt compared to the male with that outfit and their bondship with chrom but its nice to have.

How much we can angle elwind, is it ever worthwhile to use it offensively onstage? I hope its cd is still low so that we can recover safely. Can we act out of nosferatu on air now? Do we have any evidence that robin grabs people from rather reach? I dont hear many buffs aside from mobility though, I hope we have better kill options since we lost checkmate. I also would like to rely more on magic tricks instead of fair fair fair comboes everytime.

Last edited:

Avokha

A+B smash tech is my baby <3
NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
I didnt play robin in wii u but Im interested now. I dont see him faster at all. maybe thats because everyone got sped up so I dont see the buff.

I also like the change on artworks, especially female one. she was so generic looking wii u that I thought she was never the canon robin. I still think she isnt compared to the male with that outfit and their bondship with chrom but its nice to have.

How much we can angle elwind, is it ever worthwhile to use it offensively onstage? I hope its cd is still low so that we can recover safely. Can we act out of nosferatu on air now? Do we have any evidence that robin grabs people from rather reach? I dont hear many buffs aside from mobility though, I hope we have better kill options since we lost checkmate. I also would like to rely more on magic tricks instead of fair fair fair comboes everytime.
Take a look at the Tacticians Notebook Vol. 2 thread, I posted a list of all known changes to our boi/gurl there :)

Dont be put off by Nairos assessment of Robin, there are MANY other changes he didnt mention, like thoron killing much earlier, arcthunder alone doing the damage of a smash 4 arcthunder combo, and fire jab using less of the tome than in smash 4.

I think the best way to think about this is that this is no longer smash 4 robin, this is really a whole new character. We will have to relab almost everything all over again, and frankly I'm excited to do it!

Last edited:

hermes

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for info! Im also super excited(buying switch just for this title for now) and we have always been the best community.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
We're less than 9 days away and went from this:

https://imgur.com/oIWNmfF

To Robin suffering early Alzheimer's and cloning Chrom.

Sakurai didn't put a whole lot of finishing polish on Robin it seems outside of kit. I do hope we get a new FS though.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
We're less than 9 days away and went from this:

https://imgur.com/oIWNmfF

To Robin suffering early Alzheimer's and cloning Chrom.

Sakurai didn't put a whole lot of finishing polish on Robin it seems outside of kit. I do hope we get a new FS though.
The game itself was rushed. Data for Home Run contest and Stage Builder when they aren't present in the actual game, glitches like an enemy Samus getting frozen in place in Classic Mode, Chrom's everything... the game needed a delay to iron things out and add more content.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Doesn't seem that bad. Glitches are just something that happens and more dev time won't necessarily fix it. Look at Red Dead Redemption 2. About 8 years of dev time and it still has glitches.

Icewolff92

Smash Champion
The game itself was rushed. Data for Home Run contest and Stage Builder when they aren't present in the actual game, glitches like an enemy Samus getting frozen in place in Classic Mode, Chrom's everything... the game needed a delay to iron things out and add more content.
Well there is a rumor floating around about a day one patch that is adding stuff in

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I was watching this video, and Robin's arcfire really seems to have more range now! it takes longer to fizz out, so it's better for reaching the ground when thrown from the air. I think that's really good.

Well, it's official, ya girl can outrun a potted plant (and also a bara furry, but that sounds less funny so eh). :b
Yay! ;p

Last edited:

pik3rob

Smash Cadet
Can't believe nobody has tried Robin's Finals Smash on Chrom yet to see what happens.
Edit: nvm. took a quick youtube search. Really sucks that it still happens even with Chrom there.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I miss Red Robin, they got rid of the only red hair option in the game for girls. :/

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I miss Red Robin, they got rid of the only red hair option in the game for girls. :/
You're right that does kinda of suck. I like the new ones tho, and I'm especially a fan of the new cloaks.
but now we wont be able to make red robin jokes either :O .

Lucina kind of has a reddish paltette for one, if that's anything.

Last edited:

Trashbird

Smash Rookie
You're right that does kinda of suck. I like the new ones tho, and I'm especially a fan of the new cloaks.
but now we wont be able to make red robin jokes either :O .

Lucina kind of has a reddish paltette for one, if that's anything.
I actually like this new red Robin a lot more than the old one. I think the colors are nicer on the eyes, anyway.
And now I don't mentally associate her with Etika.

Trashbird

Smash Rookie
Disappointed that Chrom is still in one of Robin's victory poses. I mean, really?

hermes

Smash Apprentice
Some dose of bromance always feels nice. Especially with a guy like chrom.

Btw, does final smash stay the same when chrom is in the battle?

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
So... where are people getting the idea that Robin's bottom 5? I've been seeing that bounced around on several sites.

Punchmine

Smash Rookie
NNID
Punchmine
So... where are people getting the idea that Robin's bottom 5? I've been seeing that bounced around on several sites.
Lots of stuff that made them good have been taken away with damage buffs as a replacement and as everyone knows, slow and heavy characters that do a lot of damage per hit are rated lower.

Last edited:

castleofwarriors

Smash Rookie
Lots of stuff that made them good have been taken away with damage buffs as a replacement and as everyone knows, slow and heavy characters that do a lot of damage per hit are rated lower.
OK, but Robin's speed has been buffed, and Levin nair gives them a proper get-off-me tool that allows them to play at range, where they have the most advantage.

Punchmine

Smash Rookie
NNID
Punchmine
OK, but Robin's speed has been buffed, and Levin nair gives them a proper get-off-me tool that allows them to play at range, where they have the most advantage.
Everyone's speed has been buffed, Robin is still grossly slow. Levin nair is great, but it doesn't really make up for how dirty they did arcfire and arcthunder which both got their utility completely removed.
I definately wouldn't call them a bad character but I'm looking forward to patches that will buff them.

FieryRebirth

Smash Ace
NNID
Rara-Avis
Switch FC
7032-4095-8921
Robin Discord is through this invite link, grab it before it expires in 24 hours: https://discord.gg/w825ZC

As for Robin's "tier"...ugh. This game is still relatively new and MUs are being explored. I know I'm still breaking in the Ult. Robin because i'm so used to Smash 4 Robin, but he's in a good stance when one recalls how stupid Thoron is right now. Robin was always slow, so the difference may feel like it is there, but the speed buffs help him a ton.

The DanMan051

Banned via Warnings
What sites in particular?
Granted, they're reddit and gamefaqs.

Robin Discord is through this invite link, grab it before it expires in 24 hours: https://discord.gg/w825ZC

As for Robin's "tier"...ugh. This game is still relatively new and MUs are being explored. I know I'm still breaking in the Ult. Robin because i'm so used to Smash 4 Robin, but he's in a good stance when one recalls how stupid Thoron is right now. Robin was always slow, so the difference may feel like it is there, but the speed buffs help him a ton.
I'm just reminded of Smash 4's early days were people were initially convinced they were really good and then that gradually dropped off over the months to end up as one of the worst in the game in the first official tier list.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Question for y'all:

Can you still Levin sword aerials with c stick set to tilt in this game? It feels very inconsistent in this game/I can't get it out most of the time, whereas i could always get them in 4. Now I just get bronze sword when i do a c stick aerial. I hate it. Cause with everyone i use I use Aerials on c stick, and I am really uncomfortable bring out Levin sword by jamming control stick + A.

Any help? Thanks! It's the sole reason I've stopped using Robin in Ultimate :(

Avokha

A+B smash tech is my baby <3
NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
Question for y'all:

Can you still Levin sword aerials with c stick set to tilt in this game? It feels very inconsistent in this game/I can't get it out most of the time, whereas i could always get them in 4. Now I just get bronze sword when i do a c stick aerial. I hate it. Cause with everyone i use I use Aerials on c stick, and I am really uncomfortable bring out Levin sword by jamming control stick + A.

Any help? Thanks! It's the sole reason I've stopped using Robin in Ultimate :(
Tilt stick will only give bronze aerials unless levin sword is already out via previous usage or respawn unfortunately. I believe smash stick will let you levin aerial like in smash 4 though.

Top Bottom