• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tier List Speculation

D

Deleted member

the problem with gaw isnt that "hes busted" so much as everyone dislikes him because he feels jank. i can assure you that there was a LOT of gaw hate all weekend well before we had any idea who was going to win. i played MrL, and i dont particularly like gaw either but my personal opinion is that hes a solid player that earned his placement. people just dont like gaw right now and thats all there is to it. there was a ton of hate for snake too. this is also the first event in like 2 months ive been to where no one really hated on rob or fox. different peeps maybe.

as an aside, its pretty annoying when all the ness players say he sucks when they always do well. if that character had any difficulty on the competitive stage, all visible evidence strongly suggests otherwise.

MrLul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MrL300
as an aside, its pretty annoying when all the ness players say he sucks when they always do well. if that character had any difficulty on the competitive stage, all visible evidence strongly suggests otherwise.
This is really reallyyy annoying. I'm glad Stereokidd has the "dont *****/whine and git gud" mindset tho.

Last edited:

wonkdonkler

Smash Rookie
i've always been of the opinion that huge nerfs aren't the right way of going about balancing a game. focusing on helping the struggling characters should be the biggest priority. take street fighter 4 for example; they never made any big changes to a character in a single patch. doing so alienates the people who play those characters and might even cause them to not want to play them anymore since they changed what they liked about the character. instead, they gradually normalized the cast throughout the years of updates and as it stands it's one of the most balanced fighting games out there in my opinion.

im really impressed with mr lz's play, there's no way you can honestly say he isn't ridiculously talented.

D

Deleted member

This is really reallyyy annoying. I'm glad Stereokidd has the "dont *****/whine and git gud" mindset tho.
i think... your character will always have a significant impact on your placements. if your character sucks and actually gets no placements from anyone, then sure thats probably pretty valid. but if multiple players are performing well, at least consider something like "oh maybe i was wrong about my character for reasons i might or might not understand yet" rather than bein like "yep i just outplayed everyone badly go me". i just watched like 10+ players that EASILY could have won a national given a decent bracket run and i saw very, very few of them out play even slightly unfavorable matchups. you guys dont think IPK or Junebug could have won? lets go further down the bracket, how about Professor Pro? or Leffen or Axe? our game is so balanced and so MU heavy that anyone placing in top 16 is almost drawing names from a hat for however the bracket plays out, and only ness players are winning their awful matchups? come on.

SunJester

Smash Ace
Something I picked up from Paragon: Solo maining isn't going to cut it for much longer. People are figuring out matchups slowly, and there's some out there that are going to be horrible for your character, picking up a secondary is almost a necessity now.

We saw it a few times with M2K, Oracle nearly got a reset with his Wario.

I mean Armada had to pick up Yink for a while in Melee to deal with the Puff matchup, and thats a game with really only 9~ viable characters. What about our cast of 41?

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
sometimes theorycrafting gets in the way of objective results I guess

Last edited:

Boiko

:drshrug:
I never said anything about Ness players being the only players to win awful match ups, personally. And for what it's worth, I disagree with that mentality.

If you took the time to watch my set against Kaos for example, you'll notice that after game one I adapted to him always teleporting on stage by feigning a ledge grab and meeting him in center stage with a punish. I also realized that he was slow and patient, but he would always teleport>aerial the same way. So after he took game one, I changed up my playstyle, he didn't.

Or my set against Hero of Time, who would up b in the corner 9 times out of 10. Or jab jab turn around grab. Even after SDing early twice, I was able to bring it back because I had already figured out his neutral and tech patterns, and he didn't make any changes.

The only people that I've met that think that Ness is strong are the ones who DI his throws incorrectly, don't SDI, don't CC, and don't run up shield. The ones who do know the match up have different feelings. I don't really care that Ness is weak relative to the rest of the cast. That doesn't make him bad, just weak.

But, to discredit me, stereo, and any other Ness who very obviously outplayed our opponents, is a bit uncalled for. I mean really, just watch IPK v. Stereo set one. IPK is lost because he doesn't understand the match up.

The_NZA

Smash Lord
...and only ness players are winning their awful matchups? come on.
Strawmen are pretty cool. If by Nesses winning everything, you mean a high volume of good Nesses competed and two placed well at Paragon, where as at Blacklisted, a high volume of Nesses competed and none got above 17th place (including Stereo & Boiko). I would argue many of the players at BlackListed have a decent amount of Ness experience because you can't spell Ness without NE. That's one variable to consider. BY comparison, for paragon you'd have to go through the brackets of the Ness players and determine factors about experience, matchups, etc.

We think Ness is bad because his matchups are especially bad. In place of matchup knowledge, Ness performs exceedingly well. Matchup knowledge demolishes the character.

I tend to also think winning sets in Project M isn't much of an indicator of character strength anyhow. Its still player v player, matchup v matchup, experience v experience. Case in point--GnW has always been ridiculously good, and he's finally won something. Jigglypuff is clearly still really bad, and Hbox got top 5.

Last edited:

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Warning Received
the problem with gaw isnt that "hes busted" so much as everyone dislikes him because he feels jank. i can assure you that there was a LOT of gaw hate all weekend well before we had any idea who was going to win. i played MrL, and i dont particularly like gaw either but my personal opinion is that hes a solid player that earned his placement. people just dont like gaw right now and thats all there is to it. there was a ton of hate for snake too. this is also the first event in like 2 months ive been to where no one really hated on rob or fox. different peeps maybe.

lunchables definitely hated ROB this weekend
nothing new there

Also I lost to a meh player's mediocre snake after I 3 stocked his main, rip MU exp I never knew ye
****ing karma for having mean thoughts about snake the night before after playing Messi (of colorado) and realizing that character is bull****
please rework dair to not be a multhit dair that can be started instantly out of a SH and yet end right as you land for a perfect follow-up from a quick OoS option; and remove hurtbox from grenade/make hurtbox invincible so hitting it doesn't give snake a get out of jail free card from so many punishes, kill moves and shield pressure
please, he would be so much less bull****

Last edited by a moderator:

Rᴏb

still here, just to suffer
Out of all the reasons to defend GnW, please don't let it be "nerfs in 3.6 killed joy with the game, I don't think we should nerf people anymore". GnW is one of the least changed and nerfed characters since 3.02--I would argue marth has been nerfed more since 3.02 than GnW. His players have practically had immunity when the rest of us were changed and forced to adapt to losing very very crucial tools. If GnW gets changed, it's mostly that he's had it coming. Or he shouldn't be changed, and argue for that. But let's keep the conversation about design rather than game emotional politics.
If this was directed at me, then I gotta call you out for how disingenuous this simplification of my post is. Of course I'm fine with nerfs as long as general viability is left untouched, what is wrong with that sentiment? The game has been around for almost 5 years and the balance of the cast has shifted drastically in every patch leading up to 3.5, which has led to people dropping characters or waiting for the next patch to get compensated for whatever they've lost (some characters are still waiting, like yours). Personally, I don't think this trend needs to continue, but hey, I'm willing to be convinced otherwise if you're willing to explain to me why the idea of characters getting compensated for losing intolerable options within the same patch is strictly an idea seeded with emotions and not one with design in mind.

To be honest, your response seems more like emotional politicking than mine; it can basically be boiled down to "we had to suffer, you should too".

And I'm confused about why you brought up Marth, I could easily just say that G&W has been nerfed more since 1.0 and that would be equally irrelevant.

Akhenderson

Smash Apprentice
My suggestion: GnW should not have an active hitbox on the start up, but instead, only be active starting halfway of the ascent. It becomes worse as a combo breaker/get out of jail free card because it doesn't become an absurd combo starter that you can do out of shield, but still retains its usage as a combo extender tool without changing anything else.

MrLul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MrL300
nothing new there

Also I lost to a meh player's mediocre snake after I 3 stocked his main, rip MU exp I never knew ye
fucking karma for having mean thoughts about snake the night before after playing Messi (of colorado) and realizing that character is bullshit
please rework dair to not be a multhit dair that can be started instantly out of a SH and yet end right as you land for a perfect follow-up from a quick OoS option; and remove hurtbox from grenade/make hurtbox invincible so hitting it doesn't give snake a get out of jail free card from so many punishes, kill moves and shield pressure
please, he would be so much less bullshit
I lost in a mu I don't know, please nerf this bull character.

robosteven

Smash Lord
NNID
robosteven
My suggestion: GnW should not have an active hitbox on the start up, but instead, only be active starting halfway of the ascent. It becomes worse as a combo breaker/get out of jail free card because it doesn't become an absurd combo starter that you can do out of shield, but still retains its usage as a combo extender tool without changing anything else.
but then what would be G&W's totally necessary for viability incredible OoS option?

Garr

Smash Apprentice
G&W stuff

You can bait up b, then punish him as he comes down. He can b reverse bacon, double jump, dair (which is easy to punish) or do nothing, so he has quite a few mix-ups. Find out how your character can cover at least 2 of these options, or cover what the GnW player does the most on the way down. Ex: Shield pressure him with an aerial at a safe distance away from his up b hitbox, which is smaller than shine) then aerial him as he goes up. Characters with swords have an easier time doing this.

GnWs best throw is uthrow, it leads to guaranteed uair and nair a lot of the time. Try not to di GnWs throws anywhere and see where he throws you. If he does Uthrow, he can either nair you which will end the combo, or combo you with u air. Thing is, if you di and sdi away from GnW, he has a really hard time comboing you off of the uair. You can also SDI Gnw's up b, but it's trickier because knowing what angle you'll be hit at is pretty hard. Always try to tech when you're thrown because he could be down throwing you, but beware if you're a fast faller because you can get tech trapped with up throw.

Lots of GnWs fair from ledge. Best thing to do is crouch cancel where the soft part will hit, then punish.

You can crouch cancel GnW's bair, and shield the last few hits and then grab/fastest oos option. Make sure you time it right, because he'll probably up b afterwards, which remember puts him into a bad situation. Also SDI AND DI BAIR AWAY. It combos into really good kill moves. Everybody I played di'd in and got up air up b up air killed off of it.

If he approach with fair, shield grab lol.

I don't think GnW is too good, but he def needs some things toned down. Up throw needs to be nerfed, & bucket braking needs to be removed. Plus matching animations with hit hitboxes. GnW is #1 if you don't SDI his nasty punishes. Also, REWORK SIDE B. 1/3 chance to get a 9 is dumb. Up throw into 9 is dumb. Watch me vs Dakpo where he gets like ten 9 hammers lmao.

Holy crap I got so much hate lmao. GnW is super godlike at low and mid level, so I guess that's where some of the salt comes from?
Sweet lord, thank you! This character is my demon right now. Sure, he gets me mad, but I really wanna figure out how to beat him.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
I lost in a mu I don't know, please nerf this bull character.
lol
I know that I lost because I don't know the matchup
that's not my issue. Even if I had won, the character is still stupid.
I don't care whether he gets nerfed or buffed. I was his design adjusted. I have talked to umbreon and other good players and they agree.

Last edited:

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
lol
I know that I lost because I don't know the matchup
that's not my issue. Even if I had won, the character is still stupid.
I don't care whether he gets nerfed or buffed. I was his design adjusted. I have talked to umbreon and other good players and they agree.
umbreon wants to kill anything that's slightly unique and interesting about anyone tho /s

What would you do to compensate the snake change of losing hurtbox on grenade? Changing his dair? Why is Snake's dair so god awful but you dont mention Lucas's dair which is for all intents the same move?

If we want to move on from just complaining about **** and having people call it out, why not at least try and throw out what you would do to make it balanced in your opinion/ideal?

D

Deleted member

nothing new there

fucking karma for having mean thoughts about snake the night before after playing Messi (of colorado) and realizing that character is bullshit
LOL
You don't know anything about the character (admittedly) and then you lose to the character and immediately want design changes? And you insult the player you lost to? Great sportsmanship from a top player. Also Babaganoush co-mains snake.

The thing about PM matchups is sometimes it takes way longer than a set to understand it. That's why PM results are going to be so weird. Do you think more than a couple of people in the bracket REALLY understood the G&W matchup at the level necessary to avoid the punishes that Mr. L was dishing out? Unlikely.

If the PMDT wants the game to be such that no matchups are too complicated to get a grasp on without a lot of practice, they can do that, but they will have to simplify a lot of characters' neutral and punish games.

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
This is exactly what I've been thinking. This way, he can't get what is essentially a kill confirm OoS, but he can still use Up-B for combos when it comes to his throw game and Uairs. Exactly.

And just to echo what other people have said......just a reminder that LOTS of people have been complaining about G&W since the dawn of time. So when G&W does receive some changes, do not think it's just because of Mr.Lz's win. Adjustments to him are long overdue.

Also keep in mind that the changes mad won't be made out of the mindset of "G&W is too good, gotta nerf him." It may have the same effect and conclusion, sure, but changing a character to make him/her/it better designed is different from applying straight nerfs. They won't be made to make him less "good", they'll be made to make him less "stupid". I know it sounds like the same thing but.....you guys know what I'm saying.

Shout-outs to Mr.Lz for being really mature about his character. He's like, literally 1/2 G&W mains I've actually seen who haven't outright defended the character's silly shenanigans. Respect.

Last edited:

Manaconda

Smash Apprentice
You know people find a character's design questionable when the Tier List Speculation thread hovers around 90 viewers.

ikon

Smash Cadet
You know people find a character's design questionable when the Tier List Speculation thread hovers around 90 viewers.
i'm just here cause i wanna learn stuff

also thanks mr lz for making an effort to inform people, i wish more people did that

Last edited:

Mage.

Smash Cadet
More like waiting for the salty responses about characters being dumb in design and needing unnecessary changes right after the biggest PM tournament of all time.

-sips pepsi-

Narelex

Smash Journeyman
Now I know Kirby had basically no representation. But honestly I feel like he isn't talked about much. Despite a few outliers in his MU spread (Ike) he overall doesn't seem that great a character.

What can we do to bring him more in line with the rest of the cast?

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Also keep in mind that the changes mad won't be made out of the mindset of "G&W is too good, gotta nerf him." It may have the same effect and conclusion, sure, but changing a character to make him/her/it better designed is different from applying straight nerfs. They won't be made to make him less "good", they'll be made to make him less "stupid". I know it sounds like the same thing but.....you guys know what I'm saying.
I haven't read the last few pages, but apparently it's all about some tournament...
But I read Shokio's post because he's one of very few who actually has consistently good posts...
But I couldn't help think about Captain Falcon throughout this entire description.

plz something like this
Make CF's U-Air hit-box start later in the animation and trajectory sending further vertically. (more interesting combos and less linear flow-chart non-interactive easy stuff)
Make CF's Grab shorter and U-Throw send further horizontally. (because he's fast and can get Grabs/follow-ups anyway)
Make CF's Nipple-Spike a tiny hit-box rather than his whole body. (because really)
Make CF's aerial Falcon Kick have more lag upon landing. (because really)
Make CF's N-Air have more KBG and less BKB on the 2nd hit-box (like every other move in the game getting the same treatment while deserving it less)
Make CF's F-Smash the 64 spin-kick. (slightly more lag and more range)
Make CF's U-Smash the 64 uppercut. (V shaped anti-air with very little for grounded hit-box, hit-boxes send far horizontally if not sweet-spotted in the center to send vertically.)

Make CF's Falcon Punch fly across the entire stage like a big fiery bird of one-shot death projectile if he spins around the max number of times when charging.

Take that @DMG and your patronizing of the pika
Sure do it to others too, but Snake, Puff, CF, DK, uh yeah stuff.

Cool stuff.
I like cool stuff.
I gtg and won't read the rest but yeah wow that is a lot of viewers
GO HOME

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
umbreon wants to kill anything that's slightly unique and interesting about anyone tho /s

What would you do to compensate the snake change of losing hurtbox on grenade? Changing his dair? Why is Snake's dair so god awful but you dont mention Lucas's dair which is for all intents the same move?

If we want to move on from just complaining about **** and having people call it out, why not at least try and throw out what you would do to make it balanced in your opinion/ideal?
I have had the same problem with lucas's dair for a long time lol
lucas' punish game as a whole is extreme and make's GnW's look tame tho

You don't necessarily need to compensate design changes. If your design is fleshed out and carried through for the whole cast , the game should ~balance itself according to your goals. PMDT started towards the path to a consistent design across the cast with 3.5 (which most people just looked at as nerfs tho that was really just the expected result and not the goal) but missed a lot of stuff on some characters and went too far on others. Umbreon was saying to me yesterday that he wants the overall power level of the cast increased and this is NOT incompatible with the 3.5 design goals of trimming the fat/removing jank. You can normalize characters in beneficial ways that emphasize their unique traits rather than diminish them. But it needs to be understood that to an extent, strong unique tools to compensate for unique weaknesses are largely responsible for matchup polarization and the concept of "losing at character select". And if you think that isn't a problem, then you probably haven't been talking to many top players lately. It's also responsible for draining, unrewarding characters to play against; we do still play this game for fun right? Being rewarded for successful neutral game plays is part of this yet there are characters that flip the formula on its head and ask that you don't hit them more then like twice before just picking the safe option against their combo breaker and then watching them pick one of many equally safe options to regain their footing at the cost of some damage and a little bit of stage. Regardless, asking that the characters maintain the same degree of toolset variety for their stronger tools is the same request to keep polarizing weaknesses that force everybody but fox to main several characters or suffer in the long run. If you want a game that actually runs near-even matchups across the board, you need to understand that the complexity of how these characters toolkits interact needs to be toned down by reducing overreliance on tools that can easily lose to or easily beat another character's overrelied-upon tool, and replace these loses with improved universal tools like movement speed, burst range/attack coverage, attack speed, etc.

also the whole "SDI GnW's combos to escape" isn't a magic solution, it's garbage because he'll just bacon and now you're stuck above him anyway and he landcancels his lag

PlateProp

Smash Master
NNID
Genericality
3DS FC
3823-8710-2486
I have had the same problem with lucas's dair for a long time lol
lucas' punish game as a whole is extreme and make's GnW's look tame tho

You don't necessarily need to compensate design changes. If your design is fleshed out and carried through for the whole cast , the game should ~balance itself according to your goals. PMDT started towards the path to a consistent design across the cast with 3.5 (which most people just looked at as nerfs tho that was really just the expected result and not the goal) but missed a lot of stuff on some characters and went too far on others. Umbreon was saying to me yesterday that he wants the overall power level of the cast increased and this is NOT incompatible with the 3.5 design goals of trimming the fat/removing jank. You can normalize characters in beneficial ways that emphasize their unique traits rather than diminish them. But it needs to be understood that to an extent, strong unique tools to compensate for unique weaknesses are largely responsible for matchup polarization and the concept of "losing at character select". And if you think that isn't a problem, then you probably haven't been talking to many top players lately. It's also responsible for draining, unrewarding characters to play against; we do still play this game for fun right? Being rewarded for successful neutral game plays is part of this yet there are characters that flip the formula on its head and ask that you don't hit them more then like twice before just picking the safe option against their combo breaker and then watching them pick one of many equally safe options to regain their footing at the cost of some damage and a little bit of stage. Regardless, asking that the characters maintain the same degree of toolset variety for their stronger tools is the same request to keep polarizing weaknesses that force everybody but fox to main several characters or suffer in the long run. If you want a game that actually runs near-even matchups across the board, you need to understand that the complexity of how these characters toolkits interact needs to be toned down by reducing overreliance on tools that can easily lose to or easily beat another character's overrelied-upon tool, and replace these loses with improved universal tools like movement speed, burst range/attack coverage, attack speed, etc.

also the whole "SDI GnW's combos to escape" isn't a magic solution, it's garbage because he'll just bacon and now you're stuck above him anyway and he landcancels his lag
I'm saying there should be actual reasonings instead of "x should be removed because y".

I can understand thinking that snake's grenades are dumb, but how is it an issue that they blow up when you hit them? Why are you trying to hit a GRENADE? Most people either gtfo or throw a grenade back when it's thrown at them, and Snake's grenade encapsulates that idea perfectly. It being a combo breaker tool isint always good for snake either, as they damage him too. He's supposed to be a trap master type character, and if you fall into one it's kind of your own falt

(I'm not saying I disagree with you on the grenade stuff, i'm just curious if you have anything else other than "I dislike the mechanic")

Shokio

Netplay 4 Days
NNID
Shokio
Not gonna say any names, but some people that played Mr.Lz at Paragon would preach to me about how easy G&W counter-play is and they ended up getting bopped by said character. IJS.

Hm, I don't have anything substantial to add to the Snake convo, but I just know that I hate how "non-interactive" he can feel.

Last edited:

Kipcom

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kipcom
3DS FC
4725-7977-1418
Is Snake's grenade really an issue?

He's literally doing the shield pressure on himself for you. If you're a stock ahead and he's still using grenades defensively, you can hit him when he's airborne and trying to come down with them. It's pretty much always going to be a trade in your favor unless you have C4 planted on you. You're adding on damage from your own attack + the damage from his own grenade.

*shrug* I guess making his grenade invincible as DF said would only make my job easier though.

Last edited:

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
Now I know Kirby had basically no representation. But honestly I feel like he isn't talked about much. Despite a few outliers in his MU spread (Ike) he overall doesn't seem that great a character.

What can we do to bring him more in line with the rest of the cast?
give him his 64 moveset with melee u-air

or more realistically, nerf his burst options and buff his overall mobility

a useful u-throw or f-throw would be nice, but he'd still have significant issues :s

Last edited:

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
People who are unfamiliar with Snake's mechanics because they haven't played a decent Snake before are almost always at a loss for why they blow up so much. You don't have to insult Babaganoush for your own MU inexperience.

Now about Dair and Grenades: a frame-perfect Dair OoS takes 8 frames to begin (5 frames of jumpsquat + 3-frame startup) and has very poor horizontal reach. While it does end in a highly rewarding meteor, you have to hit a frame-unsafe move decently far into Snake's shield to get hit by it. Furthermore, its 4 hits allow for a lot of SDI - try to move away from Snake if he's stomping in place, or through him if he's coming towards you with the Dair. Snake's aerial mobility is nothing to write home about, so once he starts a SH Dair his landing options are pretty limited. It is perfectly feasible to SDI in such a way that the meteor doesn't connect, though it is quite difficult for big-bodied characters like DK and Bowser.

Snake can fastfall to hit with only 3 hits of the Dair, which combos into several things. Ftilt, Utilt and sticky are all fairly guaranteed, and in theory so is grab but in practice the timing is tricky (since you have to time the Dair to land right as the 3rd hitbox comes out to get maximum frame advantage) so try buffering a spotdodge and you might escape. Also if you manage to shield at any point before the Dair finishes it is quite shield-grabbable.

Grenades are Snake's most versatile tool. For those unaware, Snake can pull a grenade and shield to drop it, then pick it up like a normal item by wavedashing OoS. Landing with a grenade pulled also has next to no landing lag, so it's common for Snake players to recover high and pull a grenade (often B-reversing to mixup the landing) to land lagglessly if they don't get hit or trade of they do. Shield-dropping a grenade (not to be confused with shield dropping through a platform) is also a potent way to discourage attackers, since they run the risk of hitting the grenade while Snake blocks it and proceeds to combo off of the explosion, which sends people upwards.

There are three main counterplay options against a Snake who is in shield with a grenade sitting at his feet.

1. Grab him. Grab beats shield (surprise, surprise) without detonating the grenade. From here you can try to time your throw so that the explosion happens during the 7-frame invincibility period of all throws (very hard) or choose a quick throw so that you can shield/roll/jump/etc before the grenade blows up. This may be difficult or impossible depending on how long the grenade has been cooked and how fast your character's fastest throw is. Also Snake is heavy, so throw animations take longer than usual.

2. Space a move on his shield or use a projectile. When Snake shield drops a grenade, it lands ever so slightly behind him and on the ground. In the air, he holds the grenade behind his body. You can hit Snake('s shield) without hitting the grenade hurtbox and juggle/put pressure on him that way. Obviously this is easier for characters with good disjointed attacks like Marth and Ivysaur, which is one of the reasons Snake tends to struggle against such characters. Projectiles also serve a similar function of safely dealing with shield + grenade.

3. Wait. Snake has just pulled an explosive that is guaranteed to go off in two seconds or less. If he wants to just stand there blocking, let him deplete his own shield. If he rolls, he has either moved toward you with lag or given up stage positioning. If he jumps, he has put himself at a disadvantage. The smarter Snakes will glide toss (which has laughable distance on it, btw) or wavedash OoS to pick up the grenade and then throw it or shield/spotdodge. Regardless of which option they choose, the grenade will always detonate at the same time, and as the timer goes down, the probability of Snake picking one of those options goes up.

Notice that grenades are most defensively potent when the opponent is not grabbing, spacing particularly well, or being patient. Force Snake to be more creative by selecting the appropriate counterplay (this will depend on player and character matchup) or punish him for not adapting.

If you still want to change/rework either of these moves, we might have to get into a deeper discussion of Snake's design. Losing the potency of either puts a severe damper on his punish game and leaves him fewer ways to transition away from his poor neutral.

TL;DR Space around Dair, SDI if you get hit. Beat defensive grenades by grabbing, spacing, projectiles, or waiting Snake out.

Last edited:

IfuggswithAnime

Smash Rookie
nothing new there

was it really necessary to question the player's skill? I mean, its not like ROB is a bad character(I think he's a tier above Snake). Johning about a character being bull**** seems unfitting for someone who mains ROB.

DrinkingFood

Smash Hero
Warning Received
issue with snake's grenade isn't just shielding and hitting it (plus any other combination of follow-up things he can do once you respect the shield, like AGT the grenade at you, or just leave the grenade there with a roll/jump/etc). The main issue is his using it to come down to the stage as a get out of jail free card. There are so many drifting options + b-reverse with the grenade pull (combined with the already existing movement from his double jump, and possible stall with up-b->instant release) that even characters with disjoint can't cover them without using a spacing that covers most of snake's character model on top of the grenade itself. And if you don't have disjoint then you really don't even get the "I hope he drifted X way" option. And if you have disjoint, or space another move correctly to miss the grenade, it can fall out of his hands into your hitbox. It ends juggles by hitting both characters and stops kill moves by replacing the knockback from the kill move with the grenade's knockback, which kills pretty late.
Keep in mind he doesn't just lose a jank get-out-of-jail-free card if you rework the grenade hurtbox. He also gains a grenade that can't be swatted and can throw it through his own mines without blowing up the grenade along with the mine.

Also I don't actually feel like typing even more essays in response to more essays in response to more essays, so **** it I'm done for now lmao

was it really necessary to question the player's skill? I mean, its not like ROB is a bad character(I think he's a tier above Snake). Johning about a character being bull**** seems unfitting for someone who mains ROB.
I wasn't questioning his skill, didn't need to ask a question because I already know
Also the bull**** part isn't a john, that's just me ******** about how the character is unfun to play against, which has no real bearing on why I lost
and I'm fully aware I play ROB- it's possible to play a bull**** character against a bull**** character and want BOTH of them fixed.

KitchenCabinets

Smash Rookie
Since we're talking about Snake, I guess I'll chime in.

My problem with him isn't that he's too good or too weak, it's that he's genuinely unfun to play against and far too special to have anything resembling a fair matchup. If your character can apply mid-range pressure and gimp easily, Snake is so free it's boring. Otherwise, he's going keep his distance and throw **** everywhere. At this point, you have two options:

1) Win neutral and go for a combo which you won't be able to finish because there is no way you can focus on neutral and avoiding Snake's projectiles at the same time. Ends in a trade, which leads to a stick. Snake automatically wins neutral until this thing comes off, which happens never for some reason. Down throw, Down-B, GG.

2) Wait until you can safely combo. This means giving Snake more time to set up. Both players end up avoiding interaction. Fun. And when you finally do get that combo, don't expect Snake to die. He's heavy, he can act out of Up-B, and he can recover from anywhere.

You can win this uphill battle, but having fun is impossible. The Snake player can make tons of mistakes because of his trade-forcing minefield and guaranteed recovery. Meanwhile, you need to play perfectly. This is soul-crushing. Imagine being a new player facing this in tourney.

There is a reason why Diddy can't have 2 bananas, and Zelda can't have 3 Din's. It's the same reason why Snake should not have a mine, C4, mortar, and grenades.

Top Bottom