• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

throwing for %!!

WITH

Smash Apprentice
This is a problem with a lot of characters, but its in my opinion very important for PT... I see people doing down throws with charizard and squirtle on opponents with low %s. This is a big mistake that stems from melee where everyone could combo out of down throws.

Their down throws have the most knockback, but do the least damage. Additionally, you cannot combo out of them against a decent opponent who knows how to DI.

Most importantly, though, is that it diminishes these throws which are good killing moves. Save the down throws for killing.

So basically I am saying that turning your default throws into up or side throws will add a little more of an edge to your game with Squirtle and Charizard. You will get a little more % per throw and your down throws will be at full power when you need them for kills.

DDRKirby(ISQ)

Smash Ace
unless of course you're confident that you have a good chance of getting a low% gimp edgeguard kill.

...which i rarely am.

Chaotic Yoshi

Smash Lord
This is a problem with a lot of characters, but its in my opinion very important for PT... I see people doing down throws with charizard and squirtle on opponents with low %s. This is a big mistake that stems from melee where everyone could combo out of down throws.
You are absolutely right, whenever I see people do this I see them as a bad player. Even worse is when they don't do a grab attack, even once, before wasting their dthrow.

unless of course you're confident that you have a good chance of getting a low% gimp edgeguard kill.
Their fthrow and bthrow are far better for setting up an edgeguard. Their dthrow can be DIed STRAIGHT UP much easier than the other two throws. Squirtle bthrow is a low angle bthrow and a very good edgeguard setup.

Yukiwarashi

Smash Champion
I have to say I only do that with Squirtle, but not all of the time. If anything, I need to start using Charizard's down throw even more...I usually find him in position to use his back throw more than anything.

washy

Smash Apprentice
Their down throws have the most knockback, but do the least damage. Additionally, you cannot combo out of them against a decent opponent who knows how to DI.
when ever i watch some one down throw at low% i seriously get pissed off. It just annoys me

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
This OP is totally correct. Fthrow and Bthrow are much better with both, the other two are almost completely worthless except as kill moves.

By the way, stage gimps are still easier with Fthrow and Bthrow on Charizard. They put them a good distance if thrown from the edge for a Dair. As in, very close to you.

PkTrainerCris

Smash Ace
Wow you are abosolute right, i do save my dtrhow with squirtle for killing, but most times i save it for having a space to switch to ivysaur, i use it a lot with ivysaur but the throw i use the most with her is Uthrow, for obvius reasons(love when ivy is under my oponent), also i dont know if her dthrow has ko potential, if it does, its less than the other two. But with charizard, i use all teh four throws at low percents, i think specially the Dthrow( its just soooooooooo cool, i cannot ressist XD), so i think i gotta change that, thanks for the advice, didnt think abot that before :p, i was wondering why my dthrow didnt kill XD, but anymay,although your advice is very good, charizard has a lot of more options to kill.

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
Ivy SHOULD actually be abusing the Dthrow. Bthrow has the most kill potential on Ivysaur, but its the worst of the three Pokemon for throw kills.

Raiderwarlord99

Smash Cadet
I know I'm guily of this with Zard. When I grab my friend I did a down throw without really thinking about it. I mentally beat myself up everytime i did too cause I was taking away 1 of my killing options. I have to learn to utulize his other throws in my playstyle.

Pichu Sensei

Smash Apprentice
So it's ok to spam Rock smash up the wazz, yet when somebody dthrows at low % it automatically makes them a bad player? tsk tsk

WITH

Smash Apprentice
So it's ok to spam Rock smash up the wazz, yet when somebody dthrows at low % it automatically makes them a bad player? tsk tsk
rock smash can do 45% or whatever, why wouldnt you spam it? down throw does 7% while other throws do 9, 10, or 11%....so why would you do it?

Pichu Sensei

Smash Apprentice
rock smash can do 45% or whatever, why wouldnt you spam it? down throw does 7% while other throws do 9, 10, or 11%....so why would you do it?
Because ANYONE can repeatedly use rock smash over and over again. If you spam rock smash, you're begging to be beaten in a ditto by a PT nub.

Why use down throw instead of the others?
1) because 3% damage doesn't matter much to me, I can easily make it up by just pressing A for a hit.
2) because it looks so friggin awesome. I mean, come on! What's not to love about breathing fire into people's faces?

Retro Gaming

Black and White Thinking
But, you'll incur stale moves effect earlier, and when you actually need the throw for a kill, you won't be able to get the same amount of knockback. Plus, they're all more or less even at lower percents, so Fair and Bair are usually more than enough to get them off the stage for a spike.

Pichu Sensei

Smash Apprentice
But, you'll incur stale moves effect earlier, and when you actually need the throw for a kill, you won't be able to get the same amount of knockback. Plus, they're all more or less even at lower percents, so Fair and Bair are usually more than enough to get them off the stage for a spike.
The down throws are lethal at 150%. The problem with me is that my opponent never makes it past 130% before I kill him.

WITH

Smash Apprentice
Because ANYONE can repeatedly use rock smash over and over again. If you spam rock smash, you're begging to be beaten in a ditto by a PT nub.
first of all, PT dittos arent exactly the most common matchup, and secondly, if its the best strategy, NOT using it in dittos will get u in trouble when your opponent uses it. Besides, ever hear of adapting to your oponent??

Why use down throw instead of the others?
1) because 3% damage doesn't matter much to me, I can easily make it up by just pressing A for a hit.
2) because it looks so friggin awesome. I mean, come on! What's not to love about breathing fire into people's faces?
I can't believe u are arguing by saying it looks cool. Maybe thats why YOU use it, but that doesn't make it the best strategy. Thats kind of the point in this thread. And if u can get 3% more damage + the same jabs u would use to make up for it, why wouldn't you?

Pichu Sensei

Smash Apprentice
I should probably use more smileys. otherwise people will think I'm serious. :laugh:

Pichu Sensei

Smash Apprentice
They should be lethal quite some time before 150%, by the way. 130% is usually kill, and if it doesn't just gimp their recovery.
omg, I'm just kidding, I know all this stuff about throwing. I just think charizards looks cool.
:dizzy:

Hydde

Smash Lord
NNID
Rahrthur
With squirt and zard abuse forward and back throws......
If u wanna use squirts dthorw use it when the opponent is in 0% to start a juggle with fairs or something, and dont use it again until u can kill with it, or until u wanna change.

Squirts downthrow kills pracically everyone who is above 140% (if he is not tired).
Zards dthrow kills above 150% (not always).

Use them wisely!°.

bottesini

Smash Rookie
On the bigger characters you can usually just run up to them after a d-throw with Charizard and rock smash or grab again.

Ryos4

Smash Lord
Well for charizard. I like his D throw, its nice for my style and sets up combos for me, that or the up throw. I never use Charizards Dthrow to kill anyway, most kills are aerials or well timed Fsmashes. Charizard is my best of the 3 anyway, he plays almost as well if not better then my pit. Why mess with a good thing.

Top Bottom