• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on the New Stage Select Screen (Order)

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
But why have it take extra time at all? That's the whole point. It doesn't matter what order they are in BC people will eventually learn the order. But since it's neither alphabetical or by franchise it's going to take EXTRA time no matter what. I've never played Fire Emblem before but I know which characters are Fire Emblem still. Most people who have never played Kid Icarus games still know Palutena and Pit and Dark Pit are connected via their franchise. With echo fighters being next to/sharing a space with their original base character it doesn't even fully list characters by smash title. All of a sudden Lucina is with the Melee characters and Ike isn't near Marth even though he's next to him in sm4sh. So there are several factors that make the ordering less than ideal.

Extra time finding a character isn't going to kill anybody, but it's not going to help. I'm not saying it'll have massive negative repercussions either. I don't see anyone boycotting the game over it. But someone who doesn't own the game goes over to their friend's house who does own the game to play it and they can't find the characters they want in a quick manner. They are going to think negatively of that one aspect of the game. I'm not saying people are going to not buy the game bc it took 12 seconds to find the character they wanted instead of 5 seconds but it is simply not optimal. Echo fighter locations is an exception to the smash chronology rule so that can't even fully be used to find characters. Like when I heard Chrom was in the game but was an echo fighter I had no idea who he was an echo of. I didn't know if it was another Lucina or a different FE character. It wasn't as obvious as Dark Pit and Dark Samus. But he's a Roy echo so now he's with the Melee characters. It's a lot of little things like that, that simply don't make for an intuitive format. It adds an extra level of thinking when trying to figure out where characters are. There are multiple ways to list the characters that seem better than what they've announced.
just because it not listed in series order don't make it bad, I think ppl rely on to much hand holding these days if it's not what they consider ideal they label it as bad.

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
I just can't get over how these guys think that sorting by series is the only logical way to sort. I don't really know many of the game locations referenced in the smash bros stages but I've never struggled to find the stages I wanted because I played all the stages enough to decide which stages I liked. The stage design changes slightly from one smash gen to the next and for me that is a more significant reason to sort stages than game world reference. All I've been trying to say this whole time is that the SSS is fine the way it is because it WILL make more sense the more you play the game. Sorting by series won't really add any depth to the game, but I think sorting by SSB introduction can add depth to the game because then you can learn about the history of the game you're lucky to get to play, thanks to all of us fans that have played since the beginning.

If an option to change sorting methods is added that will be fine because it adds to the Ultimate concept, but the legacy the game is speaking to matters just as much as the roster of characters being in their little families.

Jamison

Banned via Warnings
That was Smash 4 and Ultimate where they had separate css slots (unless you’re counting Sheik being selectable from the beginning and not her own css slot)
My B. I keep mixing up things from Brawl and PM. Since PM split them at CSS I keep thinking Brawl did as well.

I thought about it some more and I think SSS by smash chronology isn't bad. No SSS is going to be absolutely perfect. People who only played sm4sh might struggle to find some Brawl/Melee stages that returned for sm4sh. The SSS as is really benefits the veteran players (aka guys like me that have played since 64). I think it's fine for Melee and Brawl players in part BC your Brawl player is already used to stages split from Brawl and Melee. Sm4sh players could easily find it frustrating though. In sm4sh the stages were listed by franchise for the most part. So a lot of stages in sm4sh were returning and the sm4sh stages list is going to very different as returning stages are no longer part of the sm4sh portion of the stage list but instead you have stages from both 3ds and wii u, but that's the biggest downside.
Part of the reason the stages are organized by smash title could be because of the name changes some stages have now. Multiple stages were named Yoshi's Island for example. The Melee version of Yoshi's Island wasn't in Brawl but was in sm4sh. Now the Brawl version of Yoshi's Island, that wasn't in sm4sh, is going to be in Ultimate. Yoshi's Story from 64 has also been renamed to Super Happy Tree. So things like that could be confusing, even for veteran players. But now, if I'm like yeah the Yoshi stage from 64 there's no confusion and I can find it regardless if it's a new name, Story or Island.
While I'd still personally prefer some things like put the pokemon stadium levels next to each other the stage list actually makes a lot of sense for everyone who might have skipped sm4sh but played any of the previous titles. So I've actually come to terms with the Stage Select Screen as I see some strong benefits of the layout.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
kw0jmogqqve11.png

Really it’s not hard
Random
Smash stages
Melee
Brawl
3ds
Wii u
Ultimate
They had them grouped by game up until brawl, I think we’re getting more brawl stages

Last edited:

MacDaddyNook

Smash Lord
I just can't get over how these guys think that sorting by series is the only logical way to sort. I don't really know many of the game locations referenced in the smash bros stages but I've never struggled to find the stages I wanted because I played all the stages enough to decide which stages I liked. The stage design changes slightly from one smash gen to the next and for me that is a more significant reason to sort stages than game world reference. All I've been trying to say this whole time is that the SSS is fine the way it is because it WILL make more sense the more you play the game. Sorting by series won't really add any depth to the game, but I think sorting by SSB introduction can add depth to the game because then you can learn about the history of the game you're lucky to get to play, thanks to all of us fans that have played since the beginning.

If an option to change sorting methods is added that will be fine because it adds to the Ultimate concept, but the legacy the game is speaking to matters just as much as the roster of characters being in their little families.
I have to disagree. Learning history about the series, while nice to do, is not at all important from a gameplay stance, especially if it's at odds with actually playing the game. We have over 100 stages and over 70 characters, and with each new one added, the screen will get more cluttered and thus the stage/character you want gets harder to find. This gets even worse when considering using the Switch in handheld mode where everything appears even smaller and harder to see. Without a logical and obvious method of organization, it will mean much much more time wasted sifting through the mess and less time actually enjoying the game.

Luckily for Smash, the gameplay more than makes up for it, and people will still enjoy the game regardless of the SSS/CSS. But from a functional standpoint, grouping related elements together logically (such as by series said element comes from) for ease of locating them makes the experience more streamlined, and thus more pleasurable, than mashing them together in order of when they were arbitrarily added to Smash Bros.

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Really it’s not hard

Random
Smash stages
Melee
Brawl
3ds
Wii u
Ultimate

They had them grouped by game up until brawl, I think we’re getting more brawl stages
Until Brawl is the key word. People have been constantly coming in to play Smash for a while but people tend to pick up the most recent game. Looking at the releases of the games, there are more people coming from Smash Brawl or Smash 4 who don’t know Smash history. They’re going to confuse stages introduced in previous titles for stages introduced in their home game. There are also more people who aren’t schoolers on Smash history than people who played Smash 64 or Smash Melee first. Nobody is going to understand it. Organizing both the CSS and the SSS is more intuitive, and it unlike the current organization isn’t a strain on most brains. Besides, MacDaddyNook is right when he says that learning Smash history is pointless unless you genuinely enjoy learning history, but let me expand upon that statement.

Every character, and almost every stage is already in the game. You have everything you can need from Smash 64, Melee, Brawl, 3DS, and WiiU. So if this game is the godlike fusion of all the previous titles, then why would anyone turn back to a previous game? Maybe besides refusing change from Smash Melee’s mechanics, there is no reason. Learning Smash history is valueless, so this organization is going to mean nothing to most people. The joke of organization that is Random, Smash, 64, Melee, Brawl, 3DS, WiiU, and finally Ultimate isn’t going to work. The intuitive method that organizes by universe is the best way to sell the game as the Smash title to end all Smash titles. People will think more positively about the game and are more likely to return for more Smash or even dive into competitive play.

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
Until Brawl is the key word. People have been constantly coming in to play Smash for a while but people tend to pick up the most recent game. Looking at the releases of the games, there are more people coming from Smash Brawl or Smash 4 who don’t know Smash history. They’re going to confuse stages introduced in previous titles for stages introduced in their home game. There are also more people who aren’t schoolers on Smash history than people who played Smash 64 or Smash Melee first. Nobody is going to understand it. Organizing both the CSS and the SSS is more intuitive, and it unlike the current organization isn’t a strain on most brains. Besides, MacDaddyNook is right when he says that learning Smash history is pointless unless you genuinely enjoy learning history, but let me expand upon that statement.

Every character, and almost every stage is already in the game. You have everything you can need from Smash 64, Melee, Brawl, 3DS, and WiiU. So if this game is the godlike fusion of all the previous titles, then why would anyone turn back to a previous game? Maybe besides refusing change from Smash Melee’s mechanics, there is no reason. Learning Smash history is valueless, so this organization is going to mean nothing to most people. The joke of organization that is Random, Smash, 64, Melee, Brawl, 3DS, WiiU, and finally Ultimate isn’t going to work. The intuitive method that organizes by universe is the best way to sell the game as the Smash title to end all Smash titles. People will think more positively about the game and are more likely to return for more Smash or even dive into competitive play.
I still don’t see how when the picture of the stages has the icon of the series it’s from

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
I have to disagree. Learning history about the series, while nice to do, is not at all important from a gameplay stance, especially if it's at odds with actually playing the game. We have over 100 stages and over 70 characters, and with each new one added, the screen will get more cluttered and thus the stage/character you want gets harder to find. This gets even worse when considering using the Switch in handheld mode where everything appears even smaller and harder to see. Without a logical and obvious method of organization, it will mean much much more time wasted sifting through the mess and less time actually enjoying the game.

Luckily for Smash, the gameplay more than makes up for it, and people will still enjoy the game regardless of the SSS/CSS. But from a functional standpoint, grouping related elements together logically (such as by series said element comes from) for ease of locating them makes the experience more streamlined, and thus more pleasurable, than mashing them together in order of when they were arbitrarily added to Smash Bros.
I certainly see your point and appreciate it. I understand that having the fighters grouped by series will make it easier to identify the fighters you want when you first pick up the game. Same goes for the stages. However, the value of that organization vanishes once you learn where your favorite fighters are. That's where sorting by Smash series entry finds value. As DLC is added to the game the order of stages and fighters will be unaffected. If it is, then guess what that means... You just gained knowledge about the history of Smash when you found the DLC. Fighters and stages will be pretty closely mirrored in each Smash entry as well. When the stage is added so too is a fighter often times. I get the appeal and aesthetic preference for sorting by each fighter's series, but I won't lose sleep over spending a few seconds to find a character, one time, if it stays sorted by Smash entry.

Smash Lampjaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1307-1021-0308
The size of it is incredible, there's certainly no denying that. First thing I noticed.

I do have to say, and please hear me out, in terms of how it's organized, it's not how I would've done it. Personally, I would've gone by series, and I do hope there's an option to switch to that. It's like stacking echos, some people prefer that and some don't. It's not a big deal, it's individual, and everyone who prefers the "by series" organization will probably get used to it quickly anyway if there isn't an option. I don't care to change it from what it is, just an option to satisfy both sides would be a nice feature.

On that note, I'm assuming the full character selection will continue to be by series as opposed to appearance order, so I don't think it would make sense to do both menus differently, but I haven't seen the full menu outside of the limited E3 demos. I could still easily be wrong about that. We'll see what happens.

Again, not how I would've done it and I hope there's an option to reshuffle for my own personal experience, but if not, it's not the end of the world. I doubt I'll even notice it after a few hours anyway. It's a very minor gripe that'll vanish after a brief adjustment period. They're trying something new, and given how much of the history is returning, I'm fine with that.

Last edited:

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
that amount of frustration is vastly overrated at least by ppl that don't need there hand held. You want yoshi island scan the screen and you will find it almost instantly. Anybody opening the stage select screen for the first time and not saying this is the greatest selection of stages I seen in any game and instead gets stuck on the SSS not being organized in the way they want it is nuts.

Smash Lampjaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1307-1021-0308
that amount of frustration is vastly overrated at least by ppl that don't need there hand held. You want yoshi island scan the screen and you will find it almost instantly. Anybody opening the stage select screen for the first time and not saying this is the greatest selection of stages I seen in any game and instead gets stuck on the SSS not being organized in the way they want it is nuts.
I remember when the Brawl roster screen came out and folks took issue with its vertical layout. It'll vanish entirely when people are holding it, it always does.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I remember when the Brawl roster screen came out and folks took issue with its vertical layout. It'll vanish entirely when people are holding it, it always does.
That’s not the same for a couple reasons. Brawl’s roster both in characters and stages was still limited to not even half the content in this game. Also, there was still some organization with the SSS. Smash Ultimate has over 70 fighters, over 100 stages, and minimal organization work put into the select screens which if it stays as it is now in the final game will create for a near impossible to navigate CSS and SSS.

If organization by series isn’t how the CSS and SSS are, then I can guarentee just about all first impressions on the game will be “Rushed”, “Incomplete”, or “Lacklustered” which would be bad for marketing the game and business overall. After a generous twenty hours, I can honestly see Smash 4 veterans turning back to Smash 4, and can also see newcomers never picking up another Smash game again over this seemingly minuscule detail. I don’t see organization by history happening.

Last edited:

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
Edit: I got a little long winded the first time around. Let me try this with fewer words. Every fighter and many stages from every Smash bros title is being included in this one game. If that isn't FOR smash veterans then what is the reason for doing this? I think the idea here is that young nintendo fans will likely pick up the title because it is what it is. Those players like myself who have played since the beginning are looking for a chance to play with fighters that they used to love on stages that used to enjoy. If I want to play as Pokemon Trainer right now I have to go back to my least favorite Smash title to date. If I want to play as Young Link I have to find a reasonably priced copy of Melee. Either way I can't pit the two against each other at all, so to me (and many other veterans) this is like Smash Bros All-Stars and I will know exactly where to find the fighters I miss, because I am one of the veterans who have spent at least 1000 dollars to keep my Smash Bros games and controllers running well all these years. I think you are just underestimating the size and impact of the veteran player base.

All that you can expect from the newcomers is that they'll try the game out. What can you expect from the veterans? Loyalty. We pay for the game, the controllers, and keep buying these things as they wear out. We're the ones that make sure Smash Bros titles continue to sell well for many years after their release.

Last edited:

Amiibo Doctor

Smash Ace
Writing Team
NNID
AmiiboMD
I'm fine with it. It could be confusing to somebody who hasn't played every Smash game, but one of the rules of Smash is that when you pick up a new game you have to learn the roster placement. This is no exception.

PvtPepperoni

Smash Rookie
I really like the new SSS. I do have to say I like Brawl's better but this one looks sleek. We should give it a try before hating on it.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
But I don’t think sorting by series will be an issue for players to find their favorite characters. If they truly are favorite characters, then the player knows him or her long enough to know what series they are from. Besides, Smash All-Stars have been working with organization by series for a very long time.

Smash 64 and Smash Brawl did it, and so did Melee to an extent. The first in the series to deviate from the perfectly working format for 15 years by seperating clones from their serieses is critiqued for having a terrible UI. Seperating almost all fighters and stages this time around from the ones they’re in the same franchise as is going to make everything impossible to find. Long time veterans are at least 20 by this point as 1999 is when the original game came out, and I highly doubt anyone began playing Melee at age zero. As long time veterans begin to get older and less able to play due to job, marriage, and other commitments, the community will rely on more younger players to stay alive, but if “Lacklustered” is the first thing that comes to mind when newcomers think of Smash Ultimate, then there isn’t going to be an avid player base for Smash long down the road.

This is why making the game as neat as possible and a newcomer friendly interface is important for future success of Smash Brothers. The way it is set up now is only oriented to thrive in short term.

Last edited:

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
This could very well be the final smash bros game and you're worried about how the next one will be affected by this one. I have a wife, kids, job, go to school, volunteer on the weekends, and yet I still find time for Smash Bros because its been my favorite game franchise sense 1999 (I was 12 at the time and people thought I was too old for that game when it came out).

I don't often speak on behalf of others but anyone that has played all of the other smash games WILL play this one. It's not a matter of life obligations but time management at this point and we've got our lives set up to suit our interests at this point where as a child needs someone else to get them their games. Gamers today game for life.

Once again I'll say it. I don't care if the SSS is switched to being ordered by game series, but I can get behind the current version just fine.

I'm afraid you're just part of that vocal minority of haters. Most of the commenters so far don't mind if it stays as-is.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
This could very well be the final smash bros game and you're worried about how the next one will be affected by this one. I have a wife, kids, job, go to school, volunteer on the weekends, and yet I still find time for Smash Bros because its been my favorite game franchise sense 1999 (I was 12 at the time and people thought I was too old for that game when it came out).

I don't often speak on behalf of others but anyone that has played all of the other smash games WILL play this one. It's not a matter of life obligations but time management at this point and we've got our lives set up to suit our interests at this point where as a child needs someone else to get them their games. Gamers today game for life.

Once again I'll say it. I don't care if the SSS is switched to being ordered by game series, but I can get behind the current version just fine.

I'm afraid you're just part of that vocal minority of haters. Most of the commenters so far don't mind if it stays as-is.
I was making points as to why I think organization by series is the best method, and you stereotype me and others “haters” for having a different opinion?

I thought this debate was actually civil, but I guess you felt a need to lash out.

Last edited:

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
I was making points as to why I think organization by series is the best method, and you stereotype me and others “haters” for having a different opinion?

I thought this debate was actually civil, but I guess you felt a need to lash out.
You hate the SSS, no? Someone that hates is a hater. It's not lashing out at all. I apologize if that was how you took it because I meant it as a sort of stance you are taking, rather than a stab at your character values. What I mean to say is that your concerns are those of the minority within this specific context of the stages. I think a majority seems to dislike the CSS though, to which I would be in the monority opposition. Most commenters on this thread either support the current SSS order or are indifferent. Do you think it's possible you might be wrong about the general gaming community rebuking the title due to what a minority even sees as a "minuscule detail"?

Do you really think people will put the game down because the stages are ordered differently than they prefer? That's similar to not playing because the game defaults to time battles rather than stock. It requires minimal adjustment on the part ofbthe players and has no impact on actual gameplay. I think you'll find most people are more forgiving than you're giving them credit for.

Last edited:

Smash Lampjaw

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1307-1021-0308
Gentlemen, gentlemen, please. Settle it in Smash.

This could very well be the final smash bros game and you're worried about how the next one will be affected by this one.
I promise you this won't be the final Smash game. It's far too big to shelve, Nintendo will get a team together to work on it. It probably won't be this big, and it'll likely be a very long time between entries, but it'll happen. The Ultimate hype is going to be around for a long time while they figure it out, they're not going to rush it.

If Sakurai steps down, they'll find a new lead and possibly keep him on to oversee development. Nintendo is a company first, and Smash prints it own money. This won't be the last we see of it.

Last edited:

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
Gentlemen, gentlemen, please. Settle it in Smash.

I promise you this won't be the final Smash game. It's far too big to shelve, Nintendo will get a team together to work on it. It probably won't be this big, and it'll likely be a very long time between entries, but it'll happen. The Ultimate hype is going to be around for a long time while they figure it out, they're not going to rush it.

If Sakurai steps down, they'll find a new lead and possibly keep him on to oversee development. They're a company first, they're going to print money with Smash in the future.
Yeah. You're probably right. Either way I'm probably going to keep playing until Arthritis takes the game away from me, though it may be VR or AR by then and I may be able to stick it out a little while longer that way.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, ordering things by time of introduction is REALLY GOOD for veterens who've been here since melee, and REALLY BAD for newcomers. Cause for us, we already have all of those lines drawn in our heads. We know YL is a melee character, so we know where to look for him. We know Ridley is new to this game, so we know to look at the bottom. Same for stages. Newcomers? God this will be a nightmare to remember.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Honestly, ordering things by time of introduction is REALLY GOOD for veterens who've been here since melee, and REALLY BAD for newcomers. Cause for us, we already have all of those lines drawn in our heads. We know YL is a melee character, so we know where to look for him. We know Ridley is new to this game, so we know to look at the bottom. Same for stages. Newcomers? God this will be a nightmare to remember.
Thar's actually why we're making forum posts about it. Arthur97 thought it was sloppy just like me. He wanted to point it out hoping something will change. That's one reason people come to the forums.

Last edited:

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
I just think that ordering by time introduction is not a big deal to any one. People will know where to find any stage after some time playing very easily, but yeah, if they allow players to order the stages by series or allow players to order them how they want, it is just a good option. We can even select the music we want in our stages, so why not? Anyway, there's still the Favorite List, where you can just have a more organized list of stages you like.

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
To be honest I think the best thing that could be done with such a large stage selection screen would be to implement a hide/show function or tabs/folders function. I don't think custom sort or choosing a different order is good because uniformity is important when playing with others. Being able to hide or filter out unwanted stages would make finding the right stage WAY easier without moving any stages out of their original order.

If the only options are sort by Series or Introduction, I think introduction is better over time. I also think that putting stages on different pages by default is lazy and makes it again way too easy to neglect stages just based on you not seeing them to start with. Adding tabs by the owner of the game is a whole different story though, IMO.

soviet prince

Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
That’s not the same for a couple reasons. Brawl’s roster both in characters and stages was still limited to not even half the content in this game. Also, there was still some organization with the SSS. Smash Ultimate has over 70 fighters, over 100 stages, and minimal organization work put into the select screens which if it stays as it is now in the final game will create for a near impossible to navigate CSS and SSS.

If organization by series isn’t how the CSS and SSS are, then I can guarentee just about all first impressions on the game will be “Rushed”, “Incomplete”, or “Lacklustered” which would be bad for marketing the game and business overall. After a generous twenty hours, I can honestly see Smash 4 veterans turning back to Smash 4, and can also see newcomers never picking up another Smash game again over this seemingly minuscule detail. I don’t see organization by history happening.
OMG the SSS is awful, I am going to focus on that instead of the other major content. - said no one ever

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Personally, I prefer to have the stages ordered by series and then by chronological order.

Smash
  1. Ultimate - Battlefield
  2. Ultimate - Big Battlefield
  3. Ultimate - Final Destination
Mario
  1. Smash 64 - Peach's Castle
  2. Smash 64 - Mushroom Kingdom
  3. Melee - Princess Peach's Castle
  4. Melee - Rainbow Cruise
  5. Melee - Mushroom Kingdom II
  6. Brawl - Delfino Plaza
  7. Brawl - Mushroomy Kingdom
  8. Brawl - Mario Circuit Figure-8 Circuit
  9. Brawl - Luigi's Mansion
  10. Brawl - Mario Bros.
  11. 3DS - 3D Land
  12. 3DS - Golden Plains
  13. 3DS - Paper Mario
  14. Wii U - Mushroom Kingdom U
  15. Wii U - Mario Galaxy
  16. Wii U - Mario Circuit
  17. SSB4 - Super Mario Maker
  18. Ultimate - New Donk City Hall
Donkey Kong
  1. Smash 64 - Kongo Jungle
  2. Melee - Kongo Jungle Kongo Falls
  3. Melee - Jungle Japes
  4. Brawl - 75m
Zelda
  1. Smash 64 - Hyrule Castle
  2. Melee - Great Bay
  3. Melee - Temple
  4. Brawl - Bridge of Eldin
  5. Brawl - Pirate Ship
  6. 3DS - Gerudo Valley
  7. 3DS - Spirit Train
  8. Wii U - Skyloft
  9. Ultimate - Great Plateau Tower
Metroid
  1. Melee - Brinstar
  2. Melee - Brinstar Depths
  3. Brawl - Norfair
  4. Brawl - Frigate Orpheon
Yoshi
  1. Smash 64 - Yoshi's Island Super Happy Tree
  2. Melee - Yoshi's Island (Melee)
  3. Melee - Yoshi's Story
  4. Brawl - Yoshi's Island (Brawl)
Kirby
  1. Smash 64 - Dream Land
  2. Melee - Fountain of Dreams
  3. Melee - Green Greens
  4. Brawl - Halberd
  5. 3DS - Dream Land GB
  6. Wii U - The Great Cave Offensive
Star Fox
  1. Melee - Corneria
  2. Melee - Venom
  3. Brawl - Lylat Cruise
Pokémon
  1. Smash 64 - Saffron City
  2. Melee - Pokémon Stadium
  3. Brawl - Pokémon Stadium 2
  4. Brawl - Spear Pillar
  5. 3DS - Unova Pokémon League
  6. 3DS - Prism Tower
  7. Wii U - Kalos Pokémon League
EarthBound
  1. Melee - Onett
  2. Melee - Fourside
  3. Brawl - New Pork City
  4. 3DS - Magicant
F-Zero
  1. Melee - Big Blue
  2. Brawl - Port Town Aero Dive
  3. 3DS - Mute City SNES
Ice Climber
  1. Brawl - Summit
Fire Emblem
  1. Brawl - Castle Siege
  2. 3DS - Arena Ferox
  3. Wii U - Coliseum
Game & Watch
  1. Wii U - Flat Zone X
Kid Icarus
  1. Brawl - Skyworld
  2. 3DS - Reset Bomb Forest
  3. Wii U - Palutena's Temple
Wario
  1. Brawl - WarioWare, Inc.
  2. Wii U - Gamer
Metal Gear
  1. Brawl - Shadow Moses Island
Sonic
  1. Brawl - Green Hill Zone
  2. Wii U - Windy Hill Zone
Pikmin
  1. Brawl - Distant Planet
  2. Wii U - Garden of Hope
R.O.B.
  1. Brawl - Hanenbow
  2. 3DS - Balloon Fight
  3. 3DS - Living Room
  4. 3DS - PictoChat 2
  5. Wii U - Wrecking Crew
  6. Wii U - Pilotwings
Animal Crossing
  1. Brawl - Smashville
  2. 3DS - Tortimer Island
  3. Wii U - Town and City
Mega Man
  1. Wii U - Wily Castle
Wii Fit
  1. Wii U - Wii Fit Studio
Punch-Out!!
  1. SSB4 - Boxing Ring
Mii
  1. 3DS - Find Mii
  2. 3DS - Tomodachi Life
  3. Wii U - Wuhu Island
Pac-Man
  1. Wii U - PAC-LAND
Xenoblade Chronicles
  1. SSB4 - Gaur Plain
Duck Hunt
  1. SSB4 - Duck Hunt
Street Fighter
  1. SSB4 - Suzaku Castle
Final Fantasy
  1. SSB4 - Midgar
Bayonetta
  1. SSB4 - Umbra Clock Tower
Splatoon
  1. Ultimate - Moray Towers
Castlevania
  1. Ultimate - Dracula's Castle

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
Arcadenik Arcadenik - Thanks for putting it in perspective for me. That seems terrible. Do you realize that the first three series' represented in your list would take up over thirty stages on the list? Playing your first time you might not even realize there are more than like half a dozen game series' represented in the stages.

That might sound ideal to you but it seems like a train-wreck to me. I actually thought I would like the option to switch between sorting options but I really don't want that now. I'd much rather keep it in the order it is in now.

By the time you get through the Star Fox stages (51 stages, half of the total so far) there's over 40 unrepresented fighters (of the 70+ known fighters). I don't know how that is better than by Smash Bros introduction. When sorted by Smash introduction, by the time we are 50 stages into the list only 16 fighters are left unrepresented. That seems much better to me personally.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Given how many options there are in this game, I'm surprised there isn't a way to customize the ordering of the stages and character select screens.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
CostLow CostLow Why are you counting how many stages each series has? Why does that even matter?

It's Mario and Zelda we are talking about here. Of course they would get many stages.

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
It matters because sorting by series would only benefit you if you happen to want a stage from those two series. Sorting by Smash intro more fairly represents the majority of fighters in the game while being intuitive as long as the CSS remains intro based as well. We're wanting to make the most people happy and I think appealing to the greatest range of fighters would appeal to the greatest amount of people.

Buzzwole Buzzwole - It actually makes sense if you consider it a little longer. If you play the game with someone else who owns the game they would likely have a very different order of fighters from you if you could rearrange them. This wouldn't really enhance the play-ability of the game for anyone but that version's owner. Nintendo and Smash Bros especially is party gaming friendly and that one aspect of customization is not party friendly. I think it would make more sense to simply hide or filter stages. However the CSS ends up sorted, I think that should be unchanging (aside from the echo toggle).

Edit: I feel like I've given this topic enough attention at this point. I really don't care which way it is sorted that much. I'll enjoy the game either way. I'm really just hoping that anyone thinking the SSS is impossible to navigate will just give it a shot. I get the reasoning behind the distaste but I just don't think it will be that bad even if it's sorted in this way. Trust me, of the numerous ways to sort a SSS this is far from the worst option and likely won't actually kill the game for hardly anyone once the game is released.

Hopefully the CSS is really clean and crisp though, because that could actually be a major headache. Just look at Sm4sh for instance. Few stages are competitively legal while all the fighters but 1 (3 if you count each mii type as a unique fighter) are legal. Because of that I don't think it makes much sense to really customize your CSS very much, but at the same time, if you aren't going to be customizing it, it should be relatively easy to approach for veterans and newcomers alike.

And with that, I move on to other discussions where I will surely find someone to disagree with. Oh the joys of forum boards.

Last edited:

FNUStory

Smash Cadet
There's no announced way to customize the organization. I guess I'm going to get consistently timed out from online mode for not being able to find the character I want to play. This new lackluster system of organization sucks so much, and I'm being forced to look at it.

I guess it's time for be to begin modding my system.

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
Oh, this thread. I completely forgot about it until now.

I still firmly believe that organization by series is good for the game.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
There's no announced way to customize the organization. I guess I'm going to get consistently timed out from online mode for not being able to find the character I want to play. This new lackluster system of organization sucks so much, and I'm being forced to look at it..
I agree it's bad (even Sakurai seemed to admit the CSS is kind of bad but he's committed to the system enough to keep it, but not to fix echoes), but I don't think it will time me out looking for them.

FNUStory

Smash Cadet
I agree it's bad (even Sakurai seemed to admit the CSS is kind of bad but he's committed to the system enough to keep it, but not to fix echoes), but I don't think it will time me out looking for them.
I'm not going to willingly stick to a fighter worse than :ultzelda: who has consistently been bottom five. If :ultpichu: is god awful like he was in Smash Melee, I'm done. I'll be switching mains, and I'm going to need to try out other fighters online.

First, I need to pick who it is I want to give a try which a can of worms by itself. After I have done that, I will have to scan each individual row as quickly as I can but without overlooking anyone. If they're at the bottom, it takes me literally 30 seconds to get there. If I pace myself faster, there's a chance I'll overlook them and have to do the process over again.

To add to that, Smash Ultimate's feature of unlocking all characters except the original eight only amplifies the problem. I would adore the feature if it didn't make my number one issue with the game twenty times worse. As I fight, I unlock them, and it rearranges the entire roster, so I can't memorize anyone's location as it's always changing. This makes organization by franchise especially important.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I'm not going to willingly stick to a fighter worse than :ultzelda: who has consistently been bottom five. If :ultpichu: is god awful like he was in Smash Melee, I'm done. I'll be switching mains, and I'm going to need to try out other fighters online.

First, I need to pick who it is I want to give a try which a can of worms by itself. After I have done that, I will have to scan each individual row as quickly as I can but without overlooking anyone. If they're at the bottom, it takes me literally 30 seconds to get there. If I pace myself faster, there's a chance I'll overlook them and have to do the process over again.

To add to that, Smash Ultimate's feature of unlocking all characters except the original eight only amplifies the problem. I would adore the feature if it didn't make my number one issue with the game twenty times worse. As I fight, I unlock them, and it rearranges the entire roster, so I can't memorize anyone's location as it's always changing. This makes organization by franchise especially important.
Since when did it take 30 seconds to get to the bottom of the screen? It might take 2. It's a problem, but it's not that big of a problem.

Khao

Smash Lord
For someone who played every game in the series and can immediately tell you which game a stage is from, this order is massively superior. If they were ordered by series, there'd be a second or two where I'd be like "Where are the Star Fox stages again?".

If they're ordered by game release order, I know more or less exactly where to look.

I agree it's kind of awkward for the characters, though, especially once you consider Echoes.

The biggest problem with a series order though, is that the way each series is ordered would be completely arbitrary, so it's hard to say it's more logical. Wouldn't make the search any faster to be honest.

Last edited:

FNUStory

Smash Cadet
Since when did it take 30 seconds to get to the bottom of the screen? It might take 2. It's a problem, but it's not that big of a problem.
I'm not a fast person in terms of finding things. It's why I despise word searches and puzzles.

If they don't immediately stand out to my eyes, I have to go row by row looking at each individual character slot. Based on the video, the only fighters that stand out like black sheep in terms of design are Dark Samus, Mr. Game and Watch, ROB, Little Mac, Plautena, and Incineroar, only one of which really peaks an interest. When I stated 30 seconds, I thought I made it explicit that it was the worst possible scenario being someone at the bottom of the roster like Simon.

Last edited:

Arthur97

Smash Master
I'm not a fast person in terms of finding things. It's why I despise word searches and puzzles.

If they don't immediately stand out to my eyes, I have to go row by row looking at each individual character slot. Based on the video, the only fighters that stand out like black sheep in terms of design are Dark Samus, Mr. Game and Watch, ROB, Little Mac, Plautena, and Incineroar, only one of which really peaks an interest. When I stated 30 seconds, I thought I made it explicit that it was the worst possible scenario being someone at the bottom of the roster like Simon.
Actually, wouldn't middle be the worst? Simon, is pretty close to the end and therefore pretty easy to find. The ones in the middle though, might be a lot harder to find.

Top Bottom