• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on the Art Style

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
What is everyones thoughts on the art style? Specifically, the darkened black lines that frame the characters? Like'em? Hate'em?

I personally find it interesting. It gives Smash an entirely different look.

KAOS2222

Smash Rookie
Since the camera won't zoom in on the characters, the black outlines are to easily distinguish the characters since they will be smaller than usual.

hydrokyogre

Smash Apprentice
They're okay. I'm enjoying the Wii U graphics more so far.

It is pretty cool that they managed to retain the details on the characters even with the outlined look. Kind of reminds me of Borderlands.

littlewolf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
littlewolf128
I actually really like it. I will admit I was tripping when I first saw it because I thought the WiiU version was going to be Cel Shaded which I would of hated, but as for the 3ds I really like how new it makes the game feel and how it separates its self from all the other Smash games.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Of course the Wii U version is superior graphically, but I think the outlines is a nice way to make the models feel more fluid and organic.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
The 3DS versions graphics are good, but the WiiU beats it in every way.

Shorts

Zef Side
Premium
3DS FC
3136-6583-3704
Nooooooo. The Wii U's GRAPHICS beat the 3DS, but the Wii U's art style is nothing compared to the 3DS's.

I love that one version looks so comic-book beautiful, and the other is the GORGEOUS clean, HD game.

So ****ing hyped.

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945
I like how the game looks more saturated again. The cel shaded Borderlands like feel Smash 3DS has does give it a distinct feel to it compared to the Wii U. The Wii U version looks beautiful btw. I lost my **** when I saw Bowser.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
I like them quite alright. The outlining is a nice touch so we can see the characters well when playing on the handheld

Wii U is, of course, better for HD console but I still think the 3ds art style is better for the handheld

SureNsync

Smash Journeyman
The 3DS art style was unique and it felt like a Super Smash Bros 64 remake, I just wish the Wii U and 3DS versions didn't have exclusive stages.

I mean both versions are getting the same characters so why not stages?

PlayerOneTyler

Sr. Community Manager, Smashboards Editor / Social
The 3DS art style was unique and it felt like a Super Smash Bros 64 remake, I just wish the Wii U and 3DS versions didn't have exclusive stages.

I mean both versions are getting the same characters so why not stages?
Well, they have to be differentiated in some way.

I personally like the way it outlines the characters. When I first saw the trailer, I wasn't fond of it, but after I realized it was only that way in the 3DS version, I was fine with it. It's certainly not HD, but it's pretty top-notch for the 3DS's capabilities.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I like the art style. I was always fond of cel-shading. Given that some of my favorite games are the Dragon Ball Z Budokai games and the Ultimate Spider-Man game. Though the Wii U version is clearly the more impressive.

FrozenHobo

Smash Hero
I like the art style. Hopefully there will be settings to lighten/darken the shader, but over all it looks really good. Plus, the addition of the visual "slices" during attacks will make it easier to see everything on the small screen.

Equal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiEqual
3DS FC
2036-7236-5480
Pretty much agreeing with everything here. Now I just need to get my hands on a Wii U by the time this drops! Still not sure if I want to play Smash on my 3DS, but I can see myself buying it.

Pheta Ray

Smash Ace
I'm thinking the 3DS visual style is more artistic than the WiiU style. To me the 3DS version looks like it was painted then animated. The WiiU looks more like graphic design art than painting.

D

Deleted member

My god they're awesome. Really like how both versions didn't go down the route of progressively becoming more realistic. I don't care about how much detail Mario has in his overall. I'm actually considering getting a 3DS version; especially with exclusive stages.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
I hope that the outlines don't get buggy when viewing the game in 3D.

Aside from that I expect it to look great on a 3DS.

210stuna

Smash Lord
Totally unrelated, but I feel like the art style 3DS Smash uses also should have been used for the Project X Zone game too.

With that said, I believe the new art style for Smash 3DS is...

Beautiful
Gorgeous
Magnificent!

Such graceful words for a bold title indeed.

Toph_87

Smash Apprentice
I love the 3DS art style. Rather than making the 3DS version an inferior port, they are making both versions feel and look different. The Cel-shaded style fits perfectly IMO.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
The 3DS art style was far above my expectation, I love how they outlined the characters in order to make it easier to see when we use the "3D" option. Overall, I like the visuals that appears during the connection of an attack :grin:

Zzuxon

Smash Champion
NNID
zzuxon
3DS FC
3695-0453-0481
I love the 3ds at style.
It makes all the characters look like paintings. 3d paintings.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Not a fan of the art style, I'll probably (most likely) stick to the WiiU version.

Broodlaw

Smash Cadet
NNID
Broodlaw
Switch FC
SW-0613-0942-5903
It will work wonders with the 3DS, it just looks blotchy since it was blown up images, on a 3DS screen it will look great. Though both art designs are more cartoonish if you ask me, which is a good thing if you ask me.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Anyone else notice the outlines are slightly reminiscent of Mario Strikers?

That was the name of the mario soccer game right? can't remember off hand XD

kisamefishfries

Smash Journeyman
oh yeah! Its super graphic...y... personally I don't care. But seeing how its a group discussion, I'll go ahead and assume its the right choice. Namco knows what they are doing, along with sakurai. This isn't the guys who made NSMBU by any means

Top Bottom