• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on Ganondorf's design?

Do you like Ganondorf's current design?

• Yes, his updated Ocarina of Time design is great

Votes: 84 77.8%
  • I preferred his Twilight Princess design

Votes: 15 13.9%
  • Hyrule Warriors design or bust!

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • None of the above/I prefer one of his other designs

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

I Like Link

Smash Rookie
A dream come true, I never expected it. After he didn't appear in Botw I thought we would be stuck with his TP design yet again. What makes it better is I feel Sakurai felt more inclined to make him a bit more mobile and quicker since he's no longer an "old man." As ridiculous as it sounds his design change/buffs is the most exciting thing about Ultimate for me.

Last edited:

Bambinothegreat

Smash Rookie
Personally OoT Ganondorf is my favorite design of the character. Brawl and Smash 4 actually turned me off from playing him more often cause I never really liked the change. OoT Dorf though I rock with.
I thought his character model was fine, I just hated his “fighter card” (?) from smash Wii U

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
No I miss the Twlight Princess look, the beard, the Black Armor fitting for a king, (shine the gold out again) OOT looks dated, with the triangular eye sore that is his nose what triggers the memory of the triangle boobs of death

Not to say I hate his ott battle armor look, it doesn’t scream King to me and frankly it’s not that intimidating.

Last edited:

The Shadow Emperor

Smash Apprentice
I feel his OoT appearance suits his Smash moveset better. While I think TP Dorf looks cooler from an aesthetic perspective, his stiff posture seems at odds with the flexibility he exhibits in the moveset. I've always had a hard time believing that this out of shape, middle-aged man covered in bulky armor is capable of doing a standing split for his up tilt.

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
I feel his OoT appearance suits his Smash moveset better. While I think TP Dorf looks cooler from an aesthetic perspective, his stiff posture seems at odds with the flexibility he exhibits in the moveset. I've always had a hard time believing that this out of shape, middle-aged man covered in bulky armor is capable of doing a standing split for his up tilt.
I'm pretty sure underneath the armor he isnt out of shape he is probably jacked as ****. But still its easier to see that physic with the OoT armor

Zodiacx10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zodiacx10
if any ganondorf could do a spinning aerial double roundhouse kick, it would probably be OOT ganondorf lol

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Totally love the new design. Primarily because it's the strong, menacing Ganondorf that literally gave Link nightmares. And I strongly agree with the posts about moveset. Ganondorf moveset is actually believable with limber, athletic OoT Ganondorf. Twilight Princess Ganondorf was a juggernaut, not an acrobat, his moveset was incredibly off-putting.

As he is now, his moveset would be perfect if we didn't have Falcon to compare to. I'm even ok with Warlock Punch since its basically Ganon socking someone with a fistful of dark magic.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I just miss the beard. After Wind Waker, Ganondorf alway sported the beard and I can't go back.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I feel that. Grey beard Ganon was my favorite.
Old manondorf. He's still a thing. He just doesn't look like he belongs in a retirement home now. Just cresting social security age.

BTW, welcome to the boards Kyle. Glad I could talk you into joining. It's a pretty chill place. Usually. When people aren't fighting on the speculation threads.

Last edited:

KyleBehindTheMic

Smash Rookie
Old manondorf. He's still a thing. He just doesn't look like he belongs in a retirement home now. Just cresting social security age.

BTW, welcome to the boards Kyle. Glad I could talk you into joining. It's a pretty chill place. Usually. When people aren't fighting on the speculation threads.
I’m waiting to get into an all caps battle about why Waluigi should be playable. Soon.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I miss his old design, but I also like the new one. Don't know why we couldn't get it and the old Zelda design as alt costumes, since Link gets one for him. There should be more alt costumes in general, given how much potential they have. Hopefully some are added post-launch.

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
I miss his old design, but I also like the new one. Don't know why we couldn't get it and the old Zelda design as alt costumes, since Link gets one for him. There should be more alt costumes in general, given how much potential they have. Hopefully some are added post-launch.
I wont be upset for paid dlc costume packs personally

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I wont be upset for paid dlc costume packs personally
Neither would I. I mean, how much money did they make on Mii Costumes? They'd probably make way more if they just did alt costumes for the characters instead. Samus has several possibilities, the Zelda trio have several, the Mario characters all have a bunch, etc. It probably won't happen, but it's money being left on the table.

At least this game will probably have as much as if not more mod support than the Wii U game, so we'll be able to get that stuff one way or another.

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
Neither would I. I mean, how much money did they make on Mii Costumes? They'd probably make way more if they just did alt costumes for the characters instead. Samus has several possibilities, the Zelda trio have several, the Mario characters all have a bunch, etc. It probably won't happen, but it's money being left on the table.

At least this game will probably have as much as if not more mod support than the Wii U game, so we'll be able to get that stuff one way or another.
If they release Hyrule Warriors costume pack for Zelda reps they will make a butt load of money! Same for Samus suits especially those from Metroid Prime 2 and 3 would be awesome. I'm guessing other series could have lots of costumes also but Zelda and Metroid have alot of unique alts to go for.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
Actually, Link's alt costume is not an old design. It's an exact reference to his Tunic of the Wild in Breath of the Wild. It's not the "Classic Link" design; Breath of the Wild also has the Classic Tunic as an additional costume and it is different from the Wild Tunic, the one used in Ultimate.

So no, Link doesn't have an alt that references his original look just for those people who dislike the Champion's shirt. He has an alt that continues the reference to the game his current Smash design is based on. His alternate colors which have nothing to do with the actual outfit itself have way more callbacks to prior Zelda's: Skyloft shirt, Dark Link, Fierce Deity Link, Twilight Princess Link. That being said, I get why you want alt costumes that reference different games. As cool as I think that would be, it's clear there are certain limitations to that.

Personally, I think they'd be better off referencing Zelda designs that actually resemble their Smash Ultimate designs.

For example:

This design is practically just OoT Ganondorf in a different outfit. A perfect alt costume if you ask me.

Similarly, I think Zelda should get an alt that resembles this:

The idea is to have matching or similar designs. Toon Link actually has the easiest time with this since Wind Waker, Spirit Tracks, and Tri Force Heroes all have an incredible collection of different outfits for a character of the same design, rivaled only by BotW Link himself.

I do completely agree that there should be more alternate costume designs in general. I would so purchase DLC costumes. I mean, heck, I do that for other games and I love Smash Bros A LOT MORE than those other games.

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I suppose I should pitch in on this more myself; I used to prefer the TP design, but seeing how well they've updated his OoT/Melee-look, I can say I'm personally a lot happier that they went with this route instead, this time around.

I would like to see some alts for other designs, so long as the proportions to this one still align. That way people with a preference to either design would still be fully satisfied. Actually, come to think of it, do you guys think it would too far-fetched for the old/TP Ganondorf to be repurposed as an Echo of the current one? Don't change the moves to be like he was in Brawl and 4, just go off of his old design and change things up a bit. And if so, how would you feel about that happening?

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I suppose I should pitch in on this more myself; I used to prefer the TP design, but seeing how well they've updated his OoT/Melee-look, I can say I'm personally a lot happier that they went with this route instead, this time around.

I would like to see some alts for other designs, so long as the proportions to this one still align. That way people with a preference to either design would still be fully satisfied. Actually, come to think of it, do you guys think it would too far-fetched for the old/TP Ganondorf to be repurposed as an Echo of the current one? Don't change the moves to be like he was in Brawl and 4, just go off of his old design and change things up a bit. And if so, how would you feel about that happening?
I'd prefer at least one of the Ganondorfs have a unique moveset rather than be an echo.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
I prefer TP Dorf, but I like the OoT one too. That said, his voice sounds much more intimidating and scary now, and I love it.

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
I like the TP design from Brawl but Smash 4 Ganon looked hella weird. The face was cartoonish and the proportions were all off too. And smash 4 trophy/art was corny too. Very glad with the change we got.

Last edited:

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
He's super hot ! Not on Hyrule warriors or Windwaker level of hotness but still way more than TP.
I really hope the changes they made to his gameplay will allow me to add him to my mains this time.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
I like the TP design from Brawl but Smash 4 Ganon looked hella weird. The face was cartoonish and the proportions were all off too. And smash 4 trophy/art was corny too. Very glad with the change we got.
Compare this face:

Versus this character modeling disaster:

Not mention the rounded ears have finally returned:

In regards to his renders, IT'S COMPARISON TIME!

Melee:

Melee CSS Render:

(Why does Melee have two renders of some characters?)

While Ganon's Melee render was cool, it was one of those things that teased us about him having a sword that he never got to use. This is the beginning of 17 years of chain-yankery that drove most of us up the wall. This teasing would inevitably cause fans to hack the game, at least with either a GameShark or an Action Replay, to mod Ganondorf's model to always include the sword in his hand and then give him a beam sword.

Despite this, the render was cool. The CSS render was... different. I don't know why, but they elected to go for a pose that looks like he's got one foot on a stump or a rock and is about to tell a story of some of his adventures. It's okay, I guess. Not very interesting to look at, though.

Overall, I give Ganon's Melee renders about a 6.8/10.

Brawl Render:

This time, in Brawl's render, they decided not to tease us with the sword in the artwork (though he stills mocks us with it in his taunt that dirty, no-good, son of a--). This one actually fits Ganon's personality a little bit more, not to mention actually matching poses that Ganondorf has been known to do from time to time:

You get the picture. The cape is definitely flowing more and though the art is now lacking a bit of the symmetry the Melee render had, it's slightly more dynamic with a more interesting and varied silhouette. Still, it fits him but it could be stronger.

I'd say it was about a 7.3/10.

Smash For Wii U/3DS Render:

Just going to tell you now, this is the best Ganondorf will ever look in Wii U/3DS. Period. Once you're past the CSS, it's all downhill from there. But let us judge the render itself and not the in-game model. To hide the fact that he has an ugly mug, Ganondorf decides to give us a profile shot; which works because Ganondorf has ALWAYS possessed a very strong profile. However, we've lost some of the wind in his cape, presumably due to the shredded bits toward the bottom, which are a nice touch.

The best part of this render is the bright, glowing weakspot at the center of his torso. This glowing weakpoint which was a major part of Ganondorf's Twilight Princess design, and a feature that Brawl strangely lacked for some reason. The energy itself, looking quite godlike, is permeating the cracks in his armor, which is actually visible on the in-game model. His posing, however, does look less... interested. Almost as if he's present in the game more so out of obligation than actual desire. He's more relaxed and less "in your face" than his previous render. The silhouette is pretty well-defined, so that's a plus.

Overall, I give this render a 7.5/10. Yes, it is higher than the prior renders, but take note that this render is still severely held back. It could've been so much more interesting. All of Ganondorf's renders have been notably "boring." There's nothing really dynamic about them. But that's where the bad news ends...

Ultimate Render:

Now this is my JAM! Just take a look at this! You got that asymmetry! You got yourself a beautiful silhouette with clearly defined hands, boots, torso, shoulders, and a fully outstretched arm! It still has that signature Ganondorf hand pose, but he's finally got the other hand doing something else that isn't boring! The flow and folds of the cape look so good, especially with the hilarious fringe on the end of it. I especially love the curves of the cape on the left and upper right sides. It demonstrates a stance of strength; he's clearly amidst combat with this pose.

And take note: this man is SMILING. Not just any smile, but that sort of dirtbag smile where he truly believes that he won the argument and is treating you like a lost, little child. Brawl and Sm4sh lacked smiles. Brawl Ganondorf only smiled when he won. This guy smiles all the time, because he believes he's already won. His hair also spikes up enough to not only distinguish what it is for the silhouette, but it looks just unruly in the sort of way that only a bandit king could accomplish without looking like a poser. This is the greatest of Ganon's renders, hands down. (Or up, in Ganon's case)

9.4/10. Massive improvement, really nice to look at, and is super easy on the eyes.

He's super hot ! Not on Hyrule warriors or Windwaker level of hotness but still way more than TP.
I really hope the changes they made to his gameplay will allow me to add him to my mains this time.
He's still good-looking for sure.

He's been among my top 3 most used/best characters since Melee. I doubt it will change in Ultimate. I enjoy this character far too much.

Last edited:

Flynn.Scifo

Smash Ace
Thanks for the great comparison ! I think what bugs me the most with his smash 4 incarnation is the really really weird, not that manly hairstyle and the lack of presence. Don't mean any disrespect if any of you guys liked this Ganondorf but to me he feels like the good old grandpa you know.

Ultimate Ganondorf looks fierce, a bit younger but not too young and more athletic, the eyes are small and the look is evil and like you said he has this devilish confidant smile. I personally like the more rough facial features, not only it is very reminiscent of the source material but it actually looks very good.

He's not the Ganondorf I wished for before the announcement but he's the one I never knew I'd love. Definitely adding him to my party.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I never liked Twilight Princess Ganondorf's armor or his strange curls. I will miss the beard though, but I credit that to Wind Waker Ganondorf anyway.
Gerudo Ganondorf is a much better design imo, I only wish he had his freakish long hair from the finale of Ocarina of Time. It bothers me that he has his long red cape but not his long hair. The short haired look was from before he got his Triforce of Power.

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
I never liked Twilight Princess Ganondorf's armor or his strange curls. I will miss the beard though, but I credit that to Wind Waker Ganondorf anyway.
Gerudo Ganondorf is a much better design imo, I only wish he had his freakish long hair from the finale of Ocarina of Time. It bothers me that he has his long red cape but not his long hair. The short haired look was from before he got his Triforce of Power.
I hope long-haired OOT Ganon becomes an alt. How many people even remember that?

PrincessToadstool

Smash Cadet
I was so happy to see OOT Ganondorf. He looks awesome.

I love all Ganon's though! But I was so ecstatic during E3 when I saw his updated design.

Top Bottom