• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thoughts on Ganondorf's design?

Do you like Ganondorf's current design?

• Yes, his updated Ocarina of Time design is great

Votes: 84 77.8%
  • I preferred his Twilight Princess design

Votes: 15 13.9%
  • Hyrule Warriors design or bust!

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • None of the above/I prefer one of his other designs

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I'm curious as to how many of you around here like Ganondorf's new design. Well, sort of new design. It's an updated version of his Ocarina of Time/Melee design.

For reference:
Ganondorf_SSBU.png

With a few updates, HD graphics for a more natural and cleaner-looking model, and a highly expressive face, I personally think it's great. Suits the character perfectly. I might even say it's my favorite design of the character since Hyrule Warriors.

So do you like the current design for the King of Evil? Would you have preferred a different design? Did you expect that they'd go for his Ocarina of Time design again? I had a hard time telling what they would do for him, knowing earlier that Link was going to use his Breath of the Wild design for this entry.

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
On the "A Great Evil Walks the Earth" thread, we discussed ideas on Ganondorf's potential design. Of course most of it was believed to be potentially BotW based, but he had no design from that game to borrow.

Of course, in the absence of a newer Ganondorf design, it makes perfect sense to revert back to the original design. How he first appeared, and was introduced as.

This makes sense if you look at it in hindsight, because we did not see it coming, nor did I myself ever consider it. But its genius is in its simplicity, and it harkens back to a bygone age. As much as I prefer his TWW or HW design over this, I'm actually happier that this was the design they chose.

This was Ganondorf at his best, in his PRIME. This Ganondorf never tasted defeat; he was never scarred from a failed endeavor. Every other Ganondorf design (TWW, TP, or even HW) all have that "I'm back from that buttkicking I got last time" sort of feel to them. They experienced the overwhelming sensation of loss. This version, though, has yet to even feel it. Pride oozes from his expression, and his physical build (being of well-defined muscular structure) shows the excellence of his form. Both TWW & TP Ganondorf's looked like they had gained a certain amount of weight.

But this guy clearly hit the Gerudo Training Ground every. single. day.

Last edited:

MysticKnives

Smash Ace
Personally OoT Ganondorf is my favorite design of the character. Brawl and Smash 4 actually turned me off from playing him more often cause I never really liked the change. OoT Dorf though I rock with.

King9999

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mmking9999
3DS FC
2105-8754-7747
Switch FC
2722-8799-3295
I wanted his Hyrule Warriors design, but after seeing the new Ganon, I'm fine with what we got. Would still like HW Ganon as a skin.

Venraneld

Smash Cadet
I really like both. I was kinda hoping that they would let you choose like they did with Ike's two different looks.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I love how they captured Ganondorf's proportions from Ocarina of Time. The broad shoulders, the trapezoidal torso, and just enough cartoonish exaggeration to make him seem larger than life. He's never looked better.

Mysteltainn

Smash Ace
This is by far my favourite version of him aside from Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf, but I really wasn't expecting them to go that far. I'm ecstatic that he's finally wielding at least something in some of his move-set. His Smash animations look absolutely dope with the sword!

However, interesting food for thought on some other gaming boards: How do you guys feel about this Ganondorf, who is mostly inspired by OoT, wielding swords? Something that this incarnation had never really done? I personally really don't care, and I was 100% one of the people who have been rooting and chanting for Ganondorf to wield weaponry since the Brawl days, but there are some Ganondorf mains out there who are absolutely livid about this due to canon. Some of these people of course are people who didn't want him to be changed at all of course, but it seems mostly to be an issue for canon folk.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ganondorf's Ocarina of Time appearance does look a lot more bad*** than his Twilight Princess incarnation. Don't get me wrong though, since Ganondorf's Twilight Princess incarnation was also good in its own right.

Arrei

Smash Lord
I'm... conflicted. Precisely because of what HackAttack was talking about. We've wanted him to actually use a sword for so long, and now he finally does... but while using a form that never actually used a sword in a finished game. It's like some monkey's paw business up in here.

On the actual merits of the design itself, I must confess I'm not all too fond of OoT's Big-Nose Ganon. His incarnations always have a pretty impressive schnozz but you could do stunt jumps off of that thing.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I was definitely in the camp of expecting an original BotW-based design like with what they did with Sheik in Brawl and Sm4sh and even in Ultimate, but was *way* happy to see OoT Ganon. The deep voice, the powerful stride, and just the general design all look spectacular, and really have everything I thought the TP design lacked. I wonder if part of the change was Sakurai not feeling like the TP Ganon we had in Smash fit the "faster" design that SSBU has over its predecessor.

godogod

Smash Ace
I love it. TP design felt a bit too bulky, though its a bummer there's no TP representation(maybe it will come as an unlockable or dlc skin?)

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm ecstatic to see this design in glorious HD, it might actually be my favourite part of the direct which is really saying something because Ridley was my third most wanted. But man, I never thought I'd ever see this back in Smash, my favourite Ganondorf by a country mile. Smash Wii U Ganondorf was one my biggest disappointments and this fixes pretty much everything.

He's cocky again, smiling, he's strong and looks it, doesn't run like an old grandma, doesn't look like a grumpy old man. Doesn't sound like he's smoking ten packs of cigarettes a day since he was 6. Smash Wii U Ganondorf was my least favourite version of the character.

This is my favourite version of the character and he looks amazing

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
Really happy they did this, I just love how they are representing the sheer diversity of The Zelda franchise. Plus it is easily one of if not the most popular design for Ganondorf.

Zodiacx10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Zodiacx10
I'm ecstatic to see this design in glorious HD, it might actually be my favourite part of the direct which is really saying something because Ridley was my third most wanted. But man, I never thought I'd ever see this back in Smash, my favourite Ganondorf by a country mile. Smash Wii U Ganondorf was one my biggest disappointments and this fixes pretty much everything.

He's cocky again, smiling, he's strong and looks it, doesn't run like an old grandma, doesn't look like a grumpy old man. Doesn't sound like he's smoking ten packs of cigarettes a day since he was 6. Smash Wii U Ganondorf was my least favourite version of the character.

This is my favourite version of the character and he looks amazing
i wish i could give you more likes, this was my feelings exactly

Volt-Ikazuchi

Smash Journeyman
I like how Ultimate Ganon looks, though I do expect a TP alt.

He finally has the chance to use that sick Sword, but lost the TP Alt that had it? That just doesn't feel right.

But then again, if he's getting that Mii-like face he had in Smash 4 with his TP look, then no need to ever bring it back. Ever.

Boartobewild

Smash Apprentice
If we had gotten his HW design that would have been pretty cool as well, and would have opened the door for the other HW skins of other characters to appear or be even implented as echo characters ( Hw sheik and zelda for example). However with Ganon's overall younger and leaner aesthetic and the overall less defensive but more aggresive game mechanics , I have more reason to be hopeful that he's not gonna end up in bottomtier this time around.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Well my wish was for Ganondorf to be replaced completely by pig Ganon. The trident is enormous, he can command it tekinetically, he can cause fires to start at long range and he can teleport. I think there's some fun potential there. But given this game's mantra of every character returning, ganondorf as we know him was coming back no matter what, so it's nice they touched him up a little.

If it were up to me, I'd make one of two changes. Replace his Utilt with his old Usmash, since one move is clearly more useful than the other. Or replace Neutral B with something like a reflector involving his cape, or some kind of projectile. I get that Ganondorf isn't Ganondorf without the super powerful moves, but you could get rid of one of those two moves in favor of something more sensible. Dude's probably going to suffer from the same problems as previous games no matter how much faster and stronger you make him.

Boartobewild

Smash Apprentice
Well my wish was for Ganondorf to be replaced completely by pig Ganon. The trident is enormous, he can command it tekinetically, he can cause fires to start at long range and he can teleport. I think there's some fun potential there. But given this game's mantra of every character returning, ganondorf as we know him was coming back no matter what, so it's nice they touched him up a little.

If it were up to me, I'd make one of two changes. Replace his Utilt with his old Usmash, since one move is clearly more useful than the other. Or replace Neutral B with something like a reflector involving his cape, or some kind of projectile. I get that Ganondorf isn't Ganondorf without the super powerful moves, but you could get rid of one of those two moves in favor of something more sensible. Dude's probably going to suffer from the same problems as previous games no matter how much faster and stronger you make him.
I wholeheartily agree mate. Well except maybe for his trident style involving his pig-design, I'd rather show either Oot or Ww Phantom ganon's design some love instead but aside from that yeah.

Last edited:

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I like his OOT self and glad they went with his Great King of Evil look. I really want that to be his Boxing Ring titile in all regions for this version.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
This is what they've needed to do with him for so long. Perfect Ganondorf.

Also no more old crotchety voice, he's back to the younger more aggressive VA and it sounds amazing.

TerminatorLOL

Smash Journeyman
I prefer his Twilight Princes design but his face on his Smash 4 model looked so terrible and ugly compared to this new model. This is a step up.

Still, though I would love to see the Twilight Princes and/or Hyrule Warriors designs as skins for him and Link

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
I prefer his Twilight Princes design but his face on his Smash 4 model looked so terrible and ugly compared to this new model. This is a step up.

Still, though I would love to see the Twilight Princes and/or Hyrule Warriors designs as skins for him and Link
The darker and grittier TP designs pretty much clashed with Sm4sh's overall aesthetic. Link and Zelda managed just fine but Ganny's design wasn't translated as well as it was with Brawl's realistic approach. Switching to OoT Ganon was a good call because that design fits the colorful feel of Ultimate and still makes him look menacing. Helps being sleeker and more muscular.

_Ganondorf_

The Demon King
NNID
GanonFist
The darker and grittier TP designs pretty much clashed with Sm4sh's overall aesthetic. Link and Zelda managed just fine but Ganny's design wasn't translated as well as it was with Brawl's realistic approach. Switching to OoT Ganon was a good call because that design fits the colorful feel of Ultimate and still makes him look menacing. Helps being sleeker and more muscular.
Ultimate overall design seems like a cross between Brawl and 4 actually which I like.
Ganon in Brawl looked perfect exactly like in TP. His design in 4 was horrible he looked way too smooth and his eyes were very round he looked really weird...

Ultimate's demise seems great he looks menacing and mean.

Last edited:

OhMyBanana54

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-1628-5145-3801
I love Ganondorf’s OOT design and dislike his TP one, so I can’t complain about anything. I really like the redder accents of his cape and he uses a sword finally! Don’t get me wrong I would have liked his Warriors design too but I think it all worked out pretty well.

Arthur97

Smash Master
Ultimate overall design seems like a cross between Brawl and 4 actually which I like.
Ganon in Brawl looked perfect exactly like in TP. His design in 4 was horrible he looked way too smooth and his eyes were very round he looked really weird...

Ultimate's demise seems great he looks menacing and mean.
Well, not exact. In Brawl, he was missing the scar I believe.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I like his OOT self and glad they went with his Great King of Evil look. I really want that to be his Boxing Ring titile in all regions for this version.
If it helps, apparently his final smash's name was changed from Beast Ganon to Demon King Ganon.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Honestly, I am okay with :ultganondorf:'s look, for it is very refined compared to Melee. Using a sword now is also something to get used to. He looked like age rotted him from the inside out in SSB4 (well, compared to this). I know some wanted him to be based on Hyrule Warriors, but this is fine.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I feel like I'm in the vast minority when I say I prefer TP Ganondorf, lol.

I think OoT's honestly the better game, but TP Ganondorf legit gave me nightmares as a kid.

Darches

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2105-9602-3489
I like both designs. I hope there's a Twilight Princess skin.

Oddball

Smash Lord
However, interesting food for thought on some other gaming boards: How do you guys feel about this Ganondorf, who is mostly inspired by OoT, wielding swords? Something that this incarnation had never really done? I personally really don't care, and I was 100% one of the people who have been rooting and chanting for Ganondorf to wield weaponry since the Brawl days, but there are some Ganondorf mains out there who are absolutely livid about this due to canon. Some of these people of course are people who didn't want him to be changed at all of course, but it seems mostly to be an issue for canon folk.
Have they already forgot the Gamecube's tech demo?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Myo3lYDlAs

People were about as excited as you can get when they first saw this.

Boartobewild

Smash Apprentice
I feel like I'm in the vast minority when I say I prefer TP Ganondorf, lol.

I think OoT's honestly the better game, but TP Ganondorf legit gave me nightmares as a kid.
Apparently so, the only thing I've always felt to look pretty out there was Tp Ganon's Hairdo/acessories, if the Armor didn't look as badass, I would hate his design honestly.

And Oot better than Tp? Really? Is it just part of the Zelda cycle conspiracy or just blatant Nostalgia? If I try to be as objective as possible, Tp is basically Oot 2.0. Which ofc for many people is a turn-off, as that seems to imply that it's not as original and just a ripoff.

While I can definitely see why people think that way, they should also recognise that Tp does everything and more that Oot does, but better. Better more vast, complicated/intricate Dungeons and bosses/enemies, way more intresting items and consequently puzzels and just overall more content. Story and pacing are highly subjective so if that is your main reason for disliking Tp, I can concede that.

Personally my absolute favorite games in the franchise as of now are botw, Mm and Ww(nostalgia bias), while the others I will just play occasionaly again if I'm in the mood, but Oot is honestly prob one of the last I would pick to replay, even though I recognise it's importance, but the same can be said about the oringinal Loz and I don't see many people stating that one to be their favourite.

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Apparently so, the only thing I've always felt to look pretty out there was Tp Ganon's Hairdo/acessories, if the Armor didn't look as badass, I would hate his design honestly.

And Oot better than Tp? Really? Is it just part of the Zelda cycle conspiracy or just blatant Nostalgia? If I try to be as objective as possible, Tp is basically Oot 2.0. Which ofc for many people is a turn-off, as that seems to imply that it's not as original and just a ripoff.

While I can definitely see why people think that way, they should also recognise that Tp does everything and more that Oot does, but better. Better more vast, complicated/intricate Dungeons and bosses/enemies, way more intresting items and consequently puzzels and just overall more content. Story and pacing are highly subjective so if that is your main reason for disliking Tp, I can concede that.

Personally my absolute favorite games in the franchise as of now are botw, Mm and Ww(nostalgia bias), while the others I will just play occasionaly again if I'm in the mood, but Oot is honestly prob one of the last I would pick to replay, even though I recognise it's importance, but the same can be said about the oringinal Loz and I don't see many people stating that one to be their favourite.
Yeah, but TP felt kinda, I dunno, predictable? Sure it did everything OoT did, but better, but I wasn't hit with the "WOW" factor like I was with Majora or Wind Waker or my first trip through OoT

I guess it's my fault for marathoning the games, lol.

Last edited:

Garo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Garomasta
3DS FC
3308-4572-3157
The Wind Waker design will always be my favourite. Simple, menacing and regal. HW design is mostly cool, but I just find the armour colours absolutely atrocious when paired with Dorf's skin and hair colours. The barbaric nature of his attire, animations and persona is also somewhat at odds with his usual portrayal. Whatever the case, I think Ganondorf looks better with a beard.

Uffe

Smash Hero
I like his Twilight Princess design, because he looks menacing. But it was high time for an updated look, and I'm not disappointed. I was expecting them to rip Link's Phantom Ganon outfit from Breath of the Wild, beef him up a bit, and give him Ganondorf's face instead of the skull mask. And I think going the route they chose was good, because this is probably how Ganondorf would have looked if he was in BotW.

Boartobewild

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, but TP felt kinda, I dunno, predictable? Sure it did everything OoT did, but better, but I wasn't hit with the "WOW" factor like I was with Majora or Wind Waker or my first trip through OoT

I guess it's my fault for marathoning the games, lol.
That's fair. And I can say pretty much the same about Oot.

I guess the major difference is just the order, in which we played those games, because even though I'm aware and noticed that Oot is mostly responsible for paving the groundwork for 3d zelda games and introducing most of the staples we've come to love ( but Botw thankfully finally took in a new meaningful direction) that's not gonna impact you as much, if you didn't play it at the time of it's release.

Darches

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2105-9602-3489
OoT is basically just ALtTP in 3D. OoT is overrated.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Can we not turn this into a debate about which Zelda game is your favourite.

Let's just gush over how good Ganondorf looks some more. Because he looks absolutely amazing and I want an amiibo of this he looks that's good. Smirking, majestic cape, bright red hair, no curls, no glowing weak points, actually looks physically fit enough to be doing some of the stuff he does in Smash.

This Ganondorf isn't some old Grandpa, this is the Ganondorf who will chase you down and teach you the meaning of POWER

Top Bottom