• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This really ticks me off alot.......

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Im matches Im always shielding. When Im pinned to the edge and is dealing with one with a sword, I dont know what to to, and they eat my shield, and I cant attack out of the shield cause Im being hit with the sword, long range, so I wont react the character, the attack will stop me. I try to jump, but I still get hit. Its the worst with Marth.

And I cant recover well, also my DI is terrible. I just dont know what to do. I get comboed so easy in was it should not happen. And Not cause of Peach. But me. Which this bad. Im terrible at this and it will hold me back from me being a semi pro.

What is wrong with me or what is it that im doing. I try to DI away, but when In near the edge I tend to go in, but if I DI away, I get K.O ether way I take the combos. So its like a lose/lose situation I have. And my recover just gets me comboed more wen I try to land. I hardly land save. And even in the middle of the stage, Im always sheild, I try not too but then i get it worst then if I am shielding. Even in the middle of the stage I tend to shield alot. Swords just reck me, and the others with weapons abouse just as well. the rest not so much trouble but still, too much shielding. Im alwasy on the defense, then my shield gets eaten to a point where I am forced to roll or jump. then get attack or K.O

I beg people for advice on how to deal with this, cause this really ticks me off. and it's the reason I lose more than I should. The DI and shielding hold me back. and Im sick of it. and me recoverying. Thanks in advance

BossNasty73

Smash Cadet
how soon do you get hit when you jump out of shield? you could try to triangle jump.

_umbra_

Smash Champion
hmmm... I have the same problem with the shielding lol. I don't feel as uncomfortable against marth as I do against fox or sheik though. What attacks is the marth using on you when you shield near the edge? maybe you could try a fc nair out of the shield if you have time, or maybe you could wait for an opportunity and triangle jump from the shield? Maybe a shield wavedash to grab or something? It really depends on what they're doing i guess.

From my experience, it's usually best to recover against marth from above. I usually DI up and either parasol (if I have to) or just fall and use my float to avoid an attack if i can. I usually get hit while recovering this way, but I very rarely die from it, and have another opportunity to recover. Also, I like to save my airdodge until I get close to the ground if I can.

lol you're probably way more experienced than me, but hopefully there's something in there that can help you. :) This is probably my best matchup lol

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
how soon do you get hit when you jump out of shield? you could try to triangle jump.
I get hit fast to try. and near the edge not much I can do

hmmm... I have the same problem with the shielding lol. I don't feel as uncomfortable against marth as I do against fox or sheik though. What attacks is the marth using on you when you shield near the edge? maybe you could try a fc nair out of the shield if you have time, or maybe you could wait for an opportunity and triangle jump from the shield? Maybe a shield wavedash to grab or something? It really depends on what they're doing i guess.

From my experience, it's usually best to recover against marth from above. I usually DI up and either parasol (if I have to) or just fall and use my float to avoid an attack if i can. I usually get hit while recovering this way, but I very rarely die from it, and have another opportunity to recover. Also, I like to save my airdodge until I get close to the ground if I can.

lol you're probably way more experienced than me, but hopefully there's something in there that can help you. :) This is probably my best matchup lol
With Marth he jabs, Ftilts of Down tilts me, and I cant get pass him. and If I roll I get grabbed, Dsmash or Fsmash. My problem is I cant recover well, I try to land and just get kicked right back out. Its with nearly everyone I have this problem with. and when Im on the edge, I cant get up right. I usually get grabbed or attack. I dont know how to get back up.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
if you're near, FC nair out of sheild.

if you're far, run/roll/sidestep/gtfo

if he f smashes you, at almost any range you can FC fair out of sheild and it will hit, at the very least itll force a retreat.
Near the edge at times I dont like to jump back. Cause I have a hard time landing. thus it would be hard to get out of that spot im if without suffering. But I guess in the middle of the stage I can try that.

Now for my DI, recovery and getting on the stage while Im on the edge. three other big problems of mine.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Please don't take this the wrong way, but the biggest thing holding you back here is how preoccupied you are with your opinion of other people's opinions of you. Many of your posts seem to revolve around your goals of being pro or semi pro, and some single random bad habit that is holding you back from accomplishing these goals. I can tell you right now that it isn't a single bad habit, but a multitude of things that you are doing wrong against someone far out of your league. Being 3-4 stocked by anyone, ever is a sign of doing more than a handful of dumb things. The fact that you noticed that you're doing something dumb is your first step to improvement. Why not aim to just improve in general, as opposed to reaching some arbitrary level of skill? If you improve in general enough, you'll reach your goals more efficiently. Or, have a goal to beat someone slightly better than you, and when you get better than him, find someone slightly better than that....

On shielding: Someone once gave me the advice "Shield only when necessary" around Oct. or Nov. 2006. At that time, I used to have the bad habit of hiding in my shield all match. I'd put up my shield every single time an opponent got within a certain range of me. As one might expect, this led to a lot of free grabs for opponents. But I, being the way I am, took the advice quite literally and started shielding things at the last possible moment, which led to learning how to powershield. If you have this kind of timing at all, practice shielding at just the right moment as opposed to just hiding in it and waiting for your opponent to grab you or break your shield. If you don't already have ridiculous timing, it's probably better for you to spend your time learning something else, because the amount of time it'll take to learn this won't be worth the benefit of getting it down.

At the same time, do not be afraid to shield. Against Marth, it is helpful to occasionally "approach with your shield" as Forward mentioned in melee discussion. As Peach, you'll have a bunch of options out of your shield. And if you do it right, a Marth player will often mistake your approach and hit your shield with his sword, leaving some lag for you to capitalize on. When he's lagging, you can throw a turnip directly from the shield (if you have one of course) or jump out of the shield and float cancel an attack, in addition to the obvious roll, spotdodge, up smash, up b, or grab... If you are close enough, djc out of the shield and dsmash.

As for DI, what stage are you playing on? A DI mistake on Yoshi's Story against Marth is obviously more deadly than on Dreamland. It also sounds like the Marth is reading your DI, and comboing because of it. In certain situations, such as when you have the option of where to tech, many people fall under the trap of always teching in a certain way (such as towards the center, or always right, for example). Don't tech in a pattern, don't DI in a pattern if being comboed in such a way that the sword will always hit you no matter where you go, and learn to watch if your opponent makes this mistake too.

Hope this helps you.

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
Like XIF said, a Nair or Bair out of your shield can punish alot of stuff that a shieldgrab can't. Be sure to instafloat them, you wanna be as fast as possible.

Also an important thing is positioning and space control. It's normal to get ***** near the ledge cause your options are limited over there. Be sure to avoid these situations.

And seriously, there's nothing wrong with shielding. You just need to get comfortable with it, you can't be on offense all the time, or else this game would be to easy.

Prac352

Smash Lord

if he f smashes you, at almost any range you can FC fair out of sheild and it will hit, at the very least itll force a retreat.
QFT

Light shielding can help a lot too. It can create some space for you. And if you're on the edge, it can drop you to the ledge, which may or may not be a bad thing depending on how you handle it.

EDIT: Please at least read over your posts before submitting them. Perfect grammar and spelling are not necessary, but please try.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Please don't take this the wrong way, but the biggest thing holding you back here is how preoccupied you are with your opinion of other people's opinions of you. Many of your posts seem to revolve around your goals of being pro or semi pro, and some single random bad habit that is holding you back from accomplishing these goals. I can tell you right now that it isn't a single bad habit, but a multitude of things that you are doing wrong against someone far out of your league. Being 3-4 stocked by anyone, ever is a sign of doing more than a handful of dumb things. The fact that you noticed that you're doing something dumb is your first step to improvement. Why not aim to just improve in general, as opposed to reaching some arbitrary level of skill? If you improve in general enough, you'll reach your goals more efficiently. Or, have a goal to beat someone slightly better than you, and when you get better than him, find someone slightly better than that....

On shielding: Someone once gave me the advice "Shield only when necessary" around Oct. or Nov. 2006. At that time, I used to have the bad habit of hiding in my shield all match. I'd put up my shield every single time an opponent got within a certain range of me. As one might expect, this led to a lot of free grabs for opponents. But I, being the way I am, took the advice quite literally and started shielding things at the last possible moment, which led to learning how to powershield. If you have this kind of timing at all, practice shielding at just the right moment as opposed to just hiding in it and waiting for your opponent to grab you or break your shield. If you don't already have ridiculous timing, it's probably better for you to spend your time learning something else, because the amount of time it'll take to learn this won't be worth the benefit of getting it down.

At the same time, do not be afraid to shield. Against Marth, it is helpful to occasionally "approach with your shield" as Forward mentioned in melee discussion. As Peach, you'll have a bunch of options out of your shield. And if you do it right, a Marth player will often mistake your approach and hit your shield with his sword, leaving some lag for you to capitalize on. When he's lagging, you can throw a turnip directly from the shield (if you have one of course) or jump out of the shield and float cancel an attack, in addition to the obvious roll, spotdodge, up smash, up b, or grab... If you are close enough, djc out of the shield and dsmash.

As for DI, what stage are you playing on? A DI mistake on Yoshi's Story against Marth is obviously more deadly than on Dreamland. It also sounds like the Marth is reading your DI, and comboing because of it. In certain situations, such as when you have the option of where to tech, many people fall under the trap of always teching in a certain way (such as towards the center, or always right, for example). Don't tech in a pattern, don't DI in a pattern if being comboed in such a way that the sword will always hit you no matter where you go, and learn to watch if your opponent makes this mistake too.

Hope this helps you.
Like XIF said, a Nair or Bair out of your shield can punish alot of stuff that a shieldgrab can't. Be sure to instafloat them, you wanna be as fast as possible.

Also an important thing is positioning and space control. It's normal to get ***** near the ledge cause your options are limited over there. Be sure to avoid these situations.

And seriously, there's nothing wrong with shielding. You just need to get comfortable with it, you can't be on offense all the time, or else this game would be to easy.
QFT

Light shielding can help a lot too. It can create some space for you. And if you're on the edge, it can drop you to the ledge, which may or may not be a bad thing depending on how you handle it.

EDIT: Please at least read over your posts before submitting them. Perfect grammar and spelling are not necessary, but please try.
Well I think I understand what I gotta do, a sorreh for my grammer, type too fast to see my mistakes >___<!!!!!

I know what Im gonna do. I pretty much know I can beat my friends when the time comes. So there is no need for me to prove myself to them anymore. I wont be playing to win anymore. Only if I'm at a tournament, MM, or crew battle. outside of that, I'm gonna be playing random. I'll try things I would not usually do. If I have the urge to dash attack, I'm gonna grab, if I want to Dsmash, I'm gonna jab or grab, etc. Like Rapid said. I tend to worry what others think. I wanna be seen as a good player. And show others what I can do. This will be my final step to get where I need to be, and from now on thats how I'm gonna do it. I'll play serious if I need to, when playing with my friends, I'll practice on what I need to do, unless they want a hardcore match from me at my best that I can do. Now, Now lets see how much of a change I'll make by sept. 29

Thanks for the advice . Time to get to work.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Yes I have, I'im still working on it. I end up side stepping or rolling when I try. Its tuff cause her jump is not that fast. So tuff to get the timing. I'll get it somehow

pyrimadines

Smash Apprentice
Hold a Turnip while you are on the defensive. It makes him be more cautious and wary. This could lead to less careless attacks that eat your shield. Also, when the time comes, use that turnip as a way to either lag his attack, make him defend or hit him with for percentage. As for the edge, if they guy is close and is watching you on the edge, press back then up-B right after. Then close your umbrella get back on the edge and jump above him as soon as you get the ledge. If your oppnent gets hasty with his attacks, I find letting go of the edge, then jumping into a B can work on fast or long reach characters, aka fox or marth. If you time it right, the B should propel you right onto the edgeas you land.

-9Volt+

Smash Journeyman
against marth, you can have some trouble. If he is spacing right, and you cant get around him try this: get up by tapping towards the stage, hold Z to light shield. his hit will knock you back off. So get up again, and light shield again. Keep doing this until he sprints at you (you should have a brief period to react, because he is further away) From here, you can step dodge or downsmash, or both.

If he is very close to the edge, you can tap towards the stage with the directional stick, and Downsmash.

If your % is above 100, you can try falling back, and double jumping->triangle jump/airdodge.

You could try falling back and double jumping so that you are barely on the stage, then counter (<-crazy idea)

Pritch

Smash Lord
Hold a Turnip while you are on the defensive. It makes him be more cautious and wary. This could lead to less careless attacks that eat your shield. Also, when the time comes, use that turnip as a way to either lag his attack, make him defend or hit him with for percentage. As for the edge, if they guy is close and is watching you on the edge, press back then up-B right after. Then close your umbrella get back on the edge and jump above him as soon as you get the ledge. If your oppnent gets hasty with his attacks, I find letting go of the edge, then jumping into a B can work on fast or long reach characters, aka fox or marth. If you time it right, the B should propel you right onto the edgeas you land.
Holding a turnip = you can't shieldgrab anymore, marth gets up in your **** and tears you up.

THROWING a turnip = there's a thing between you and him he has to react to, putting the initiative on you (which, unfortunately, usually just means that you can pull another turnip:()

Unless the turnip's a stitch then holding onto your turnips is usually just asking to get messed up since holding it limits your moveset severely. With a stitch it's obviously different since you're holding the ssbm equivalent of a reusable tactical nuke, which generally demands some respect.:laugh:

D

Deleted member

This is a tip to all peach players:

When you're not in danger, throw a turnip UP. You'll never know when it'll come in handy. You can combo into it too.

If you throw one up and some sob comes in, it's better defense against them than none at all.

Up-thrown turnips are sooo good, no one realizes their potential. And using them as edgeguards? Soo sexy.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Its been a while since I seen you.

And I was the one that picked this stage on falco. I thought I learn to counter pick and fight well there. And this was my shoot. It was my first time fight a Falco here

D

Deleted member

Are you referring to the Brinstar thread? I'm surprised you'd counterpick a falco there if you've never fought one there before..but that's cool. Honestly, I just abuse the downsmash there, the goo and **** makes it stay out longer and as you can see in that vid, when you broke the goo, Falco almost died, but you saved him..just gotta be careful of that.

trademark0013

Smash Champion
Up-thrown turnips are sooo good, no one realizes their potential. And using them as edgeguards? Soo sexy.
its not sexier than:

pull turnip > run off stage > throw turnip at stage > jump > catch turnip as it bounces off wall > throw at opponent (who should have been off the ledge before u did this) > float > up b :)

but its close, esp when its a stichface XD

GA Peach

Smash Lord

man, EVERYONE knows that Toad is Peach's defensive answer. I thought you were GOOD at this game, xif. sheesh... *rolls eyes*

XIF

Smash Master
ZOMG Duluth, GA mostly... sometimes Weston, FL
man, EVERYONE knows that Toad is Peach's defensive answer. I thought you were GOOD at this game, xif. sheesh... *rolls eyes*
QFT

i suggest every peach player mods their controllers and takes out every button except for R, Y, and B. Including taking out the joystick and c-stick. You're entire gameplan should be sheilding, and then using toad out of sheild. insta-win.

GA Peach

Smash Lord
QFT

i suggest every peach player mods their controllers and takes out every button except for R, Y, and B. Including taking out the joystick and c-stick. You're entire gameplan should be sheilding, and then using toad out of sheild. insta-win.
exactly, you're catching on. i knew you weren't just a pretty face

Top Bottom