• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"This is Alabama; We speak English"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
http://www.aolnews.com/nation/artic...mes-this-is-alabama-we-speak-english/19456080

Tim James is betting his election that Alabama voters prefer what he calls "common sense" to "political correctness." The Republican gubernatorial candidate is running a provocative ad arguing that Alabama's driver's license exam should be given only in English.

"This is Alabama; we speak English," James says. "If you want to live here, learn it."
I have very mixed feelings about this. On one hand, this is obvious race-baiting, and the worst kind of politics based on fear and prejudice.

On the other...well, doesn't it make sense that if all road signs are in English that the driving test be given in English as well? What's the likelihood that a patrolman who makes a stop will know Farsi or Thai?

And it brings up the larger question about English-only. I think that having services in other languages is helpful for basics, like food and medical care. But at the same time, it's critical to be able to read and write English if you hope to achieve anything more than a cashier job. We shouldn't make the US English only, but I think that mandatory, government-funded English classes would be a good thing.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Living where I do, I have heard all my life about how Cajun French was routed out, and people living here were forbidden from speaking it. I oppose this forces homogeny.

However, the official language IS English, and I see no reason why every language should have to be presented. It's unrealistic.

Aesir

Smash Master
I guess it kinda makes sense since their official language is English.

Then again we shouldn't have an official language in general, to me it sounds like a frivolous promise. You wanna talk about common sense it's common sense that most people speak English in this country so why even bother making a law about it?

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
The question is, how many people aren't able read to English in Alabama? If it's only a small percentage, like 1% then maybe this would be justified.

If the numbers are greater then this, it would be a lot harder to call. One thing for certain though, there should be government run English classes if that's their attitude. If he says, "This is Alabama; we speak English, if you want to live here, learn it." then he should provide the newcomers a way of learning English.

If all the road signs are in English, then the driver's test should test English, but maybe not be in English necessarily. This means there would a section of the test devoted to making sure that the soon-to-be driver, knows english well enough to ensure he/she can read the signs. The rest of the test would be in his/her's native language. For people who do the test in English, this section would be unnecessary, for obvious reasons.

How does this sound?

blazedaces

Smash Lord
philly, PA, aim: blazedaces, msg me and we'll play
First of all, AMERICA HAS NO OFFICIAL LANGUAGE!

Second of all, plenty of road signs are in both English and Spanish.

Third of all, the number of Spanish speaking people in this country rivals the number of English speaking people in this country.

Fourth, this law is bigotry at its finest.

Alabama is getting ridiculous ...

I'm sort of in a bad mood at the moment, if you couldn't tell...

-blazed

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
First of all, AMERICA HAS NO OFFICIAL LANGUAGE!

Second of all, plenty of road signs are in both English and Spanish.

Third of all, the number of Spanish speaking people in this country rivals the number of English speaking people in this country.

Fourth, this law is bigotry at its finest.

Alabama is getting ridiculous ...

I'm sort of in a bad mood at the moment, if you couldn't tell...

-blazed
Oh, so if they're in both languages, than that's perfectly okay for them to do the test in their native language, if it is Spanish. If it isn't we're faced with the same problem.

Furthermore, I don't live in the USA so, I wouldn't really know how many people speak English as opposed to other languages.

blazedaces

Smash Lord
philly, PA, aim: blazedaces, msg me and we'll play
Oh, so if they're in both languages, than that's perfectly okay for them to do the test in their native language, if it is Spanish. If it isn't we're faced with the same problem.

Furthermore, I don't live in the USA so, I wouldn't really know how many people speak English as opposed to other languages.
Most road signs are made to be recognizable by shape and color (stop signs are red and octagonal shaped, stop lights are obvious, yield signs are yellow triangles, etc.).

And I think I wouldn't be as opposed if that ad said the test should be given in only english and spanish. At least then it would make a bit more sense and not scream racism republican dogma.

I also would very much like to see the campaign's so-called "2004 U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics report that connected a 72 percent increase in work/traffic-related fatalities to drivers' inability to read road signs in English citation". I'm willing to bet anyone when you examine this more closely it won't make much sense.

Does this mean that SPECIFICALLY in 2004 there was a 72 percent increase? That's how it reads and I'm willing to bet he's misusing the data, construing it to fit his argument.

Also, in case anyone didn't read the article, if he goes through with this alabama would lose billions of dollars in federal funding. So his rant about "saving money" is hogwash. He just wants republican votes in alabama. This is all politics. He's not doing anything for the good of the state/country.

-blazed

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I agree, blazed in fact I'm seeing a dramatic upswing in republicans and conservatives sandbagging the public in favor of votes and the "agenda" ... THIS MAKES ME SICK.. Clearly they do NOT have the best interests of the public in mind. They only care about furthering an agenda that would take us back years ... decades. Pre civil rights era ... does this really just boil down to being jealous there's a black man in the white house? Christ almighty. WHO CARES!?! Racist sexist uncouth backward shortsighted Neanderthals.

OT: Driving tests should be in English or Spanish, English being the most predominant written and spoken language in the US, Spanish coming in near second.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
The use of phrases like "This is Alabama; we speak English. If you wanna live here, learn it" and "It'll save us money" make it blatantly clear that this is nothing more than racism and xenophobia -- or at the very least, pandering to those subgroups within Alabama. And I think I might actually be more disgusted by the latter.

For the most part, roads are a universal language. My father traveled all over the world when he was young, and did more than his fair share of driving on all kinds of roads, including ones with street signs written in languages with letters he didn't know existed until that point. This includes the Autobahn in Germany, which may as well be an F1 track -- and he drove there in winter.

Shape, color, numbers, everything about road signs is designed to be such that you can be at the pre-school level of a language and still drive in a country that doesn't speak your language. People who argue in favor of this are ignoring the simple logic of the matter -- a driver's test will contain full sentences and explicit instructions. Road signs contain one or two words. In twenty minutes to an hour you could memorize all the words you would ever need to recognize to drive competently in a country, and I'm astonished that people haven't considered this fact.

And there are other, more obvious factors, too. If people immigrate to America and cannot speak English, you take steps to condemn them to poverty if you refuse them the right to drive. What would be accomplished by this, exactly? People aren't going to stop moving to America and Alabama with such enclavish policies -- they won't bat an eye. All you accomplish is making their adjustment and recalibration to their life in America as difficult as possible. Welcome to America, but sorry, you can't drive your kids to school or drive yourself to work. Please don't turn to crime, though! I'm sure you'll be fine!

Since I know the well-being of immigrating families isn't a concern to some, I'll address your backyard, as well. Arbitrarily stripping freedoms from non-English speaking families and individuals will make their adjustment to their new life arbitrarily difficult. If adequately impoverished by these roadblocks, they become more likely to shack up in ethnic slums, which makes all concerned more likely to become involved in crime and gangs. These introduce a slew of costs that are already exorbitantly expensive, such as the American prison system and an ever-increasing need for more police officers. And don't get me started about the courts.

Meanwhile, if the immigrants manage to avoid the pull toward crime, poverty is still incredibly likely, and worsened by these arbitrary blocks. Social security comes to mind. Picture this bill in a grand scale, across the entirety of the United States, and imagine how an inability to drive would impact incoming immigration. You can bet your *** there would be a more than substantial increase in Social Security applicants, and the majority of the qualified recipients would be family units.

What was that about saving money, again?

Bob Jane T-Mart

Smash Ace
And there are other, more obvious factors, too. If people immigrate to America and cannot speak English, you take steps to condemn them to poverty if you refuse them the right to drive.
Yet another great reason to improve public transport...

The more I think of this proposal, the sillier it becomes. I honestly doubt it'd save anything substantial. Furthermore, if he really was interested in saving money, couldn't they lay-off a whole lot of unnecessary bureaucrats? I'm fairly sure that this would save much more money and make much more sense, if the motive was saving money.

After that, if he wants people to know English, it doesn't really appear as if he's offering free English classes. That would do more to sort out this problem. In fact, if he was really into making sure that the drivers could read the signs well enough, what he should do is, make it mandatory to take basic (by basic, I mean really basic, only enough to make sure the drivers know how to read the signs) English Classes for those who can't read English, before they get their license.

This whole proposal seems inconsistent and confrontational.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom