• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social "This is a good result!" - Shulk Discussion & Social Thread

D

Deleted member

Shulk was revealed alongside every other veteran in the series, Inklings, Daisy, and a certain big purple space dragon.

Well didn't expect a cut, but we did get QoL buffs that I did not expect. This is a good result, indeed.

I mained this guy for a long ass time so i'm sure i'll play him again in Ultimate, at least on the side. Definitely cant wait to get my hands on him again.

Lol at sakurai doing everything he can to spoil Seven. Even if it means making a chain attack have 4 people instead of 3, which is the whole point.
:061:

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
I like the change to his neutral special. Personally, I found it a real pain to switch between Monado arts in Smash 4. But having a directional menu makes things much easier--and quicker. I actually thought of a similar idea when writing a moveset for Isaac from Golden Sun.

notyourparadigm

Smash Apprentice
NNID
notyourparadigm
3DS FC
4098-3767-3581
Gone are the days of tapping B to choose your Monado Art; now you can quickly choose one by holding B and highlighting it with the Control Stick.​
Actually, the days aren't gone; it seems as though you can choose to do either the cycling or the instant selection method. I like this choice as it gives you the flexibility to choose which method you want, especially since MALLC relies somewhat on a delay before the art activates.

D

Deleted member

Actually, the days aren't gone; it seems as though you can choose to do either the cycling or the instant selection method. I like this choice as it gives you the flexibility to choose which method you want, especially since MALLC relies somewhat on a delay before the art activates.

Edited the OP to more accurately reflect that. And yeah, it's nice to have both options.

Culex

Smash Rookie

This is a much needed addition. I like how "on point" it is.

Tremendo Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XGShadowstar
3DS FC
3093-8423-4303
Can we still use button presses or is it always directional?
You can use both. Cycling will be better for setting up Arts half a second in advance, while using the directional dial will be useful for in the moment switches.

If nothing else, I think this will make Shulk significantly more accessible.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
So about the art cycle, does it flip if I'm facing the opposite direction? I'd hate to turn my thinking from forward/backward to left/right thinking midfight.

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
I'll probably still use tapping to get to the first three arts. But ease of access for Smash and Buster? It'll be like switching into pajamas.

Happy to see the monadoboy days are far from over.

Last edited:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I never doubted this studious boy, so happy he's back, i will main him again and his new way to choose arts is going to be of great help.

I hope he gets a new costume too, his "naked" one is cool and all but c'mon now, he's just "naked", i need his Eryth Sea set or the Makhna Forest set.

Last edited:

azureHayabusa

Smash Rookie
I personally like this change, the demo in the direct did a pretty good job show casing how you can just straight up go from one art to the next without debuffing anything thanks to the directional dial. Hopefully his tricks carry over from 4, Shulk is so much fun to play as.

Heatswave

Smash Apprentice
Really happy he's back.
The change inchoosing his monado arts makes sense, also lowers the barrier for new and casual players who thought him to be to complicated to use...

Iag0

Smash Rookie
I didnt think he would get cut anyways, but the changes so far seem promising.

Tremendo Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XGShadowstar
3DS FC
3093-8423-4303
Hopefully they extend the same love to us. I don't think Art Activation iframes will exist anymore, but MALLC itself is a toss-up. It won't be quite as useful or gamebreaking either way, though.

bortkupo

Smash Rookie
Shulk was my boyo and I'm glad to see him (and well, everyone else) come back. I'd kill to see a Xenoblade 2 rep, preferably Pyra because it wouldn't hurt to have another female fighter in the game, but I'd like to see Rex if Sakurai doesn't wanna add Pyra.

azureHayabusa

Smash Rookie
Looks that way, guess we'll never know until we get more footage or a demo with him in it (hopefully). One thing is for certain, he's going to be a beast when it comes to edge guarding. I do wonder what kind of combo confirms (If possible) can you do utilizing the directional dial? That's gonna be the first thing I test.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
I really like the new change to selecting arts. Sucks we might not have the same tricks we had in 4, but honestly, sometimes I'm a dumb when selecting arts, so not having to cycle through is gonna make him so much easier to use and quicker to master.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Thinking about it i would have preferred if Shulk's Final Smash cicled with the other party members, i just want to see Reyn, Melia and Sharla, man.

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm not really a fan of the addition of Fiora to the final smash, I mean it'll be great to see her with a nice quality model but chain attacks are meant to be three people things, I was a nice callback to how many people were in a battle.

But at least this should mean he should get new voice clips so he can call her out. Maybe he can partake in a guidance or coded this time.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
God, there are too many characters I want to main on the current Ultimate roster. I was a Shulk main for a little over a year, and it's hella tempting to go back to him in this game.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Right now it's hard to decide if I primary shulk, Pokemon trainer, or both. Honestly. The first thing I'll do is mess with monado shield, and if it's awful, then I won't care about shulk as much for the time being.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I like Shulk and definitely didn't just post here thinking I was somewhere else and quickly edited my post

Last edited:

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Hello Monado boys!
with the overall increases to speed and reduction of landing lag on aerials across the board I'm really hoping Shulk is gonna be good this time.
I really wanna try maining him this time around.

he has such a fun and interesting design and Xenoblade Chronicles was one of the best RPGs I've played so I also have an attachment to the character.

Iridium

Smash Hero
For :ultshulk:, I hope frame data is not much of issue. Even if it not the best, they can at least tone down landing and ending lag he suffers to not make landings for example so tricky at times.

Tremendo Dude

Smash Apprentice
NNID
XGShadowstar
3DS FC
3093-8423-4303
I worry that momentum carrying over from ground to air will allow every character to put out a hitbox in Shulk's blind spot like Diddy and Sheik can with Fair in Smash 4. If his frame data is improved, this won't be a problem, but if it's not, I think we'll end up seeing Shulk players playing much more grounded than before.

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I like some of the changes they've made with Shulk like the selection of his monado abilites but I don't like the change to his final smash.

1. Xenoblade Chronicle is a 3 party RPG and when you do a chain attack its between the three you've chosen. This is well represented in Smash 4. But now they've added 4th person is seems kind of out of place.

2. Using Mecha Fiora is a major spoiler for the game. This is even more of a spoiler seeing her being part of your team.

A better way they could of done his final Smash is by having the party members swap out with each Final Smash. So one time you use it its Dunban and Riki, another time it could be Reyn and Sharla, and another time it could be Dunban and Melia. And so forth.

HypnoMaster372

Smash Journeyman
Honesty, if Sakurai really wanted to include Fiora in Shulk’s Final Smash regardless of spoilers, why couldn’t he swapped Riki out in exchange for her to keep in match with how Chain Attacks worked in XC? Like Riki was already an assist trophy in Smash 4 & is also retaining this role in Smash Ulitmate, so it’s just redundant that he’s also in Shulk’s FS instead of one of the other party members or, in Ultimate’s case, not having him be there at all.

lanky_gunner

Smash Master
The Moon, with the Fierce Deity Mask in hand
NNID
lanky_gunner
3DS FC
3179-6065-1453
Switch FC
SW-6340-2624-9135
A better way they could of done his final Smash is by having the party members swap out with each Final Smash. So one time you use it its Dunban and Riki, another time it could be Reyn and Sharla, and another time it could be Dunban and Melia. And so forth.
I thought the same thing could of been applied to Robin (mainly because I wasn't a fan of Lucina being a 3rd Marth), with Chrom showing up with Female Robin, and Lucina showing up with Male. I mean I guess the same thing could be applied with the whole cast of Awakening (or a few).

But then it becomes all about making new models, recording new dialogue for each character, setting up code so it switches out (which would of slowed down the 3DS, I assume, since characters who could switch mid battle disappeared), all for something you'll see for just a few seconds.

Chrom was probably chosen because they did dialogue with him anyway for Palutena's Guidance with Robin, so it was easy to have him do a few lines for the Final Smash. Same applies to Riki. He's already got Assist Trophy lines, just keep him in the Final Smash to avoid hiring so many voice actors. As for Dunban...strange pick, I thought Reyn or Melia would of been the 3rd wheel, but I guess Dunban was the only actor they could get?

Fiora was probably a popular enough choice they decided to include her in on the action though. It sucks it muddles up the 3 party system XC had, but this game is purely for fanservice, so I can look past it.

Honesty, if Sakurai really wanted to include Fiora in Shulk’s Final Smash regardless of spoilers, why couldn’t he swapped Riki out in exchange for her to keep in match with how Chain Attacks worked in XC? Like Riki was already an assist trophy in Smash 4 & is also retaining this role in Smash Ulitmate, so it’s just redundant that he’s also in Shulk’s FS instead of one of the other party members or, in Ultimate’s case, not having him be there at all.
Well, see above what I said about Riki. Probably the only reason he's both.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
The more I think about it, the more I start steaming. How is it plausible to add Seven > Reyn in his FS sequence and not even showcase Reyn Assist Trophy straight-up. So wack man...

But I was playing some Pokemon Trainer in Brawl the other day and, well, the combos and the fluid play of the characters is so fun that I'm stoked to play both :ultpokemontrainer: and :ultshulk:. I'm excited to use Shulk's Stab down move a lot more. It looks so promising right now, even if it's not concrete in the final build.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
Shulk's different skins change his hair colors to match all of the other party members! That's super cool.

I haven't seen any Shulk gameplay yet, I'll be on the lookout.

ToxoT

Smash Apprentice
here's what spanish players are saying about shulk at the moment. http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sqn4pp
shame the only footage there is is so low quality, id really like to see for myself how his frame data has changed. but i can definitely see what theyre saying about shulk's ground game being better, and nair undeniably looks faster in the videos.

Plain Yogurt

Smash Ace
Got to play a 2.5 minute FFA with our Monado Boy today! No in-depth stuff or anything, but here's some impressions
-Air Slash and Back Air have nice, snappy animations. Even though their frame data was generally similar, it felt good to just SHUNK that Back Air into folks instead of that paddle stroke he had going in 4. Gonna miss Back Air's front hitbox though...
-Dash Attack looks a lot less smooth. Shulk seems to just kinda heave the Monado to the side while lurching forward. I actually killed with it though! Which like, NEVER happens at decent percents in Smash 4! I don't remember what percent the other guy was at though, so it might still kinda suck.
-Having a fast Nair felt SUPER weird. It was never much of a rising aerial anyways, but at least it lingered before. Kinda wish they'd let one of his other aerials linger to make up for it, but hey, faster Nair!
-A sorta laggy setup + FFA chaos = there was NO way I was gonna get used to the new Monado switching. In other news, switching them the old way seems to have sped up a little, from what I can tell. I may have imagined it, but the art seemed to activate faster than Smash 4.

Overall, it feels like I have to re-learn him a little, which I really wasn't expecting. :surprised: Should be interesting labbing him all over again!

Calamitas

Smash Champion
Anyone knows if there's any new music track from the first Xenoblade game?
Based on the most recent Smash Direct, no. The music menu as they've shown lists eleven songs, which is three more than there were in Smash 4. However, we already know what the three new songs are, and they're all directly ported from 2.

Top Bottom