• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

This game compared to brawl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marios My Bro

Smash Apprentice
What are the main differences between brawl and this game. Do you like melee better or brawl better?

Eggm

Smash Hero
Melee is deeper takes a lot of time/dedication to become good at. It has more mindagmes more options more techniques more tournament viable characters. Brawl is good if you live in the middle of nowhere and need to do like online tournaments in a game just for fun. If you want to dedicate yourself practice and have more fun after putting in the time play melee.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
Melee is defiently the better game, no offense to Brawl, but it's mainly to appeal the casual community, as for Melee it's fast-paced, tournament approved, more AT's to master, and a wide variety of mindgames which I find appealing in Melee.

Shasta

Smash Cadet
Melee takes skill and technique and possibly stratigy brawl eh not so much possible
there is to many brawl characters so its harder to choose while melee you can choose without to much thinking and become a character that you can stick with instead of so much choosing or thinking
basically
MELEE RULES!!!!!

Red Alloy

Smash Apprentice
Melee takes skill and technique and possibly stratigy brawl eh not so much possible
there is to many brawl characters so its harder to choose while melee you can choose without to much thinking and become a character that you can stick with instead of so much choosing or thinking
basically
MELEE RULES!!!!!
Wow. Just... wow.

Don't get me wrong, here, Melee is awesome, but that is definitely THE worst argument against Brawl. Ever.

This.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
This is going to be closed soon. Seriously. This is the melee boards, which of the two games do you think will be more popular here? For the record, in my opinion melee is better in every way except the music :p

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The CPUs play differently in those two games.

In Melee, the level 1s hardly ever do anything and are super easy to take out. They mostly do standard and smash attacks, but hardly do aerials or specials. They also never do grab attempts. Melee had the best level 1s unlike Brawl's level 1s.

In Brawl, level 1s seem to fight with a Melee level 5 attitude. They frequently perfect shield and rarely ever leave themselves open. They also do grab attempts, which is absolutely annoying, especially when they block even your weakest attacks. I can see this behavior for level 4s and above, but not for level 1s. Just a major insult to the easiest skill level.

Additionally, it's harder to predict grabs in Brawl (since they're less common than smash attacks) compared to Melee (where they're frequently seen by certain characters).

IWontGetOverTheDam

Smash Lord
Melee is more technically based, while Brawl has more emphasis on individual character skill. In Melee, there are more overall ATs, like wavedashing, L-Canceling and SHFFLing. Brawl relies on more character knowledge, which is why there are so many character-specific ATs.

I think this thread can have a positive result if it remains about the comparisons between the games rather than devolving into "brawl sux melee rox lolol"

Shasta

Smash Cadet
You are probaly right.

there are advantages and disadvantages of each super smash brothers
*I am not going to say them bc I am not in the mood to say them plus some people already started to talk about advantages and disadvantages*:)

M-WUZ-H3R3

Smash Lord
porsonaly i like brawl better but i do love melee and it is harder to play. (brawl is still hardcore) but i can safley say that this thread will b spammed any moment now by melee pros saying brawl is "bad" and melee is better. they like melee better. they are boath good games brawl is still hardcore and hard 2 play. melee is harder and faster.

slartibartfast42

Smash Lord
Melee is more technically based, while Brawl has more emphasis on individual character skill. In Melee, there are more overall ATs, like wavedashing, L-Canceling and SHFFLing. Brawl relies on more character knowledge, which is why there are so many character-specific ATs.
Character specific skill... Like how with snake, you need to know how to projectile spam then shield/spot dodge to ftilt, and with dedede, you need to know how to projectile spam then shieldgrab (or spot dodge to grab) to chain throw, and with rob, you need to know how to projectile spam, then shield/spot dodge to downsmash, and like how with......

You need tons of character knowledge between characters in melee. Try to pillar with fox... or shinespike with falco (mango's falco shinespikes don't count)... or try to sweet spot the edge with a character you aren't familiar with... What about the whole thing where you need to know the best zones relative to your character and the edge to mindgame/hit your opponent into to give you the best opportunity for a gimp kill, taking into account that these zones constantly change depending on your opponent's character's physics and damage? You need to know the direction to throw every other character at every percent... I can keep going all day. I haven't even gone into AT's yet.

I know that Brawl is actually a bit deeper than what I described (feel free to go into detail if you want), but seriously, I think you're seriously selling melee short when you say Brawl's character specific knowledge > melee's character specific knowledge... Character specific AT's = depth? Wow, take a look at the games yourself. Arguing based on which one takes more tech skill is definitely a losing battle for the brawl side. You can perfect every combat practical AT with all the brawl characters in much less time than you can perfect all the tech skills required for melee. Melee AT's can almost always be improved on. There's a reason silent wolf is so impressive.

That's actually one of my reasons for disliking brawl. I feel like all the characters are played very similarly, the same basic mechanics. Without combos, they all just feel the same to me. Fox and Falco in melee feel more different from each other than any 2 characters in brawl. However, this last paragraph is an opinion, so it holds no logical credence whatsoever. (In other words, don't even bother arguing with it as it's not really an argument itself)

Dn2

Smash Rookie
The CPUs play differently in those two games.

In Melee, the level 1s hardly ever do anything and are super easy to take out. They mostly do standard and smash attacks, but hardly do aerials or specials. They also never do grab attempts. Melee had the best level 1s unlike Brawl's level 1s.

In Brawl, level 1s seem to fight with a Melee level 5 attitude. They frequently perfect shield and rarely ever leave themselves open. They also do grab attempts, which is absolutely annoying, especially when they block even your weakest attacks. I can see this behavior for level 4s and above, but not for level 1s. Just a major insult to the easiest skill level.

Additionally, it's harder to predict grabs in Brawl (since they're less common than smash attacks) compared to Melee (where they're frequently seen by certain characters).
u cant be serious...CPU players don't matter...we play humans vs humans...nobody should care bout the CPUz...they could never be any real challenge for humans...come on!

Shasta

Smash Cadet
well while that is true you won't always have somebody to play with you(human)
I don't bc i got no brothers or sisters
cpu aren't to fun to me

Dn2

Smash Rookie
well while that is true you won't always have somebody to play with you(human)
I don't bc i got no brothers or sisters
cpu aren't to fun to me
well ok...i guess that cool...i can understand that..

Rigor Mortis

Smash Journeyman
I recently started liking brawl alot. Though i still love melee much more ;P

When i hate on brawl on the net, i seem to forget those things when i actually play. But i only play brawl for like 2 hours or something it gets kinda boring fast T . T

Marios My Bro

Smash Apprentice
I agree lets keep this alive. I have the game cube and play melee. I have unlocked everything possible and its still an awesome game to play. I like brawl for the reason that you can play online and will probably play that. Both games are awesome in my opinion and i like each for a different reason

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
u cant be serious...CPU players don't matter...we play humans vs humans...nobody should care bout the CPUz...they could never be any real challenge for humans...come on!
I tend to play alone, so that's why I said that. It's not like everyone has a friend to play with after all.

E.M.

Smash Apprentice
I have both copies of brawl and melee borrowed from my cousin and I'll tell you one of the biggest differences.

COMBOS!!! REAL COMBOS!!!!

I play brawl more but man when I put in melee, I know I'm going to have some fun with actual combos. For about 4 or 5 years my cousin had melee and never cared to get good at the game. Then I borrow it, go on the net, learn a few things, and now I'm having fun. Man today I pulled off a real 9 hit combo with CF against a cpu Zelda and I went crazy yelling all over the place.

It went something like Dair, grab as she's coming down, Dthrow, dash attack, SH Nair to shuffle (now she's off stage), FH Nair, second jump weak Fair, Up-B, kill, holy crap.

This was a lightning melee match on the great bay. Fun stuff.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
NO MELEE VS BRAWL THREADS ARGAHGHEGAHG:IAhglsgaflvnhbfl iyg.slebg.lzyges;lgbls ghesgbli rg;iaytLwiga!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This closing thread brought to you by Chris' Laptop and my lack of patience with these threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom