• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Third Party Character: Black Mage for Brawl!!!!

Brawlmatt202

Smash Champion
Absolutely yes! why I didn't saw this topic earlier?

He would be a great addition to Brawl, we need more wizard like characters!

But I guess there are a lot of final Fantasy guys before him :(
So what? Black Mage is one of the oldest character that has ALSO been included in a Mario game! If anything, he's the most likely FF character to be in Brawl!

VanillaMummy

Smash Journeyman
Most likely S-E representitive, but I still kinda doubt it. I'd be all for it, it just seems that his move list would need improvement over what you have to get my thumbs up.

Equinox076

Smash Apprentice
I am all 4 BM as a playable character in brawl, I think he is the obvious choice.

BTW, his final smash would be ultima, cos it's the most powerful black magic.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If he didn't just happen to be by the same creators as Geno, and they weren't both 3rd party, I'd be all for Black Mage

Equinox076

Smash Apprentice
Why does everyone think that Geno deserves to be in brawl?

I think Black Mage has a better chance than geno of getting into brawl for two reasons...

1. Black Mage has appeared in many games over the years and is very popular
2. Almost Nobody outside of the US and Japan has even heard of Geno

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Why does everyone think that Geno deserves to be in brawl?

I think Black Mage has a better chance than geno of getting into brawl for two reasons...

1. Black Mage has appeared in many games over the years and is very popular
2. Almost Nobody outside of the US and Japan has even heard of Geno
Another new Geno Hater...I'm not going to argue in the Black Mage thread

If you are ignorant to Mario RPG and Geno's importance head over to the Geno thread. (WHich none of which have appeared in more than 1 game)

...and BTW, Black Mage is not a character, it's a character class and only names ones would get into Brawl

IllidR

Smash Champion
I'm not a disliker of Geno, but I'd really rather have Black Mage in Brawl as I know him better from the Final Fantasies and only heard of Geno once i came to these boards.

And to the Black Mage is not a character, it's a class argument. Have you ever heard of Pokemon Trainer?

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm not a disliker of Geno, but I'd really rather have Black Mage in Brawl as I know him better from the Final Fantasies and only heard of Geno once i came to these boards.

And to the Black Mage is not a character, it's a class argument. Have you ever heard of Pokemon Trainer?
Except the fact the trainer is Red...

...I think they left him unnamed because you could select his name in pokemon without any real choice until Silver came out.

...it's not like Pokemon Trainer's are common in Pokemon, like Lass or Bug Catcher...The only ones are The main character and the rival (Who I'm not sure is even a pokemon trainer)...

...Unlinke Black Mage who there are more than one of in Every game THEY are in, Generic and mostly nameless...

Nyan

Smash Apprentice
I´m all for BM in Brawl.

Honestly I don´t se how Geno wuld go ower BM as Square representative. It´s true that I hardly know who Geno is (looks like a scear crow) but as an Square representative BM is much better.

I´m not against Geno in Brawl, but against Geno as Square character. FF ran for sxi series on NES and SNES and continues again on GBA and DS. Black Mage has already appeared in a nintendo game and he is one of the most iconic things for FF.

Mario RPG, shure dne by square but it´s named MARIO rpg, then Geno is a Mario character. And it wuld be to wierd if a Mario character wuld represen square when BM born even was in the game that saved the company.

Using logic: BM=Square, Geno=Mario char.=Not representing square

...and I wasen´t going to argue...

BM FTW!!!!:grin:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I´m all for BM in Brawl.

Honestly I don´t se how Geno wuld go ower BM as Square representative. It´s true that I hardly know who Geno is (looks like a scear crow) but as an Square representative BM is much better.

I´m not against Geno in Brawl, but against Geno as Square character. FF ran for sxi series on NES and SNES and continues again on GBA and DS. Black Mage has already appeared in a nintendo game and he is one of the most iconic things for FF.

Mario RPG, shure dne by square but it´s named MARIO rpg, then Geno is a Mario character. And it wuld be to wierd if a Mario character wuld represen square when BM born even was in the game that saved the company.

Using logic: BM=Square, Geno=Mario char.=Not representing square

...and I wasen´t going to argue...

BM FTW!!!!:grin:
McFox made a quote you should read...

It's about how characters added to smash aren't made to represent other companies...

It also talks how business works, which you don't seem to understand

Famitsu also interviewed the head...guy whatever his name is at Square and they said they weren't going to put any characters from FF because it was too vast a series...

BTW, Black Mage is in NO way a good rep for Square anyway since Black Mage isn't even a characters

However, Geno can get in as a Mario character and not count toward being a 3rd party guest

advantage: Geno

Devotion

Smash Apprentice
Meh. I rather not see black mage in. I love the class in FF but I would just hate to see them throw in some random generic BM. If square had a rep i rather see Sora, Chrono, or any FF character pre-7

Nyan

Smash Apprentice
McFox made a quote you should read...

It's about how characters added to smash aren't made to represent other companies...

It also talks how business works, which you don't seem to understand

Famitsu also interviewed the head...guy whatever his name is at Square and they said they weren't going to put any characters from FF because it was too vast a series...

BTW, Black Mage is in NO way a good rep for Square anyway since Black Mage isn't even a characters

advantage: Geno
I was just talking on a basic level. Didn´t find that quote you where talking abute but I´ll manage. Shure I do understand that Geno is owned by Square and all that.

And as someone posted above not to many know abute Geno, I only know that he looks like a scear crow and is in Mario RPG. Nothing else. Gimme a break, it´s 2.30 am and I can´t sleep... And that representing part, even as guest characters they still do represent theis companies, even if they are not ment to do it.

However, Geno can get in as a Mario character and not count toward being a 3rd party guest
That I do agree on.

Black Mage isn´t an character but "he" has his traditional look that has been used owver and over again, he has resently appered in the DS in Mario hoops 3on3 and Chocobo tales. And he seems to make cameos in many square games. Mr. GW is as much a character, and so is something NAMED pokemon trainer (I know he is based of red but his name isn´t Red).

But then there is also Crono...

Presonally I prefer BM but Crono has his two games that where loved (never playd when I think of it...). Nothing to say really.

Meh. I rather not see black mage in. I love the class in FF but I would just hate to see them throw in some random generic BM. If square had a rep i rather see Sora, Chrono, or any FF character pre-7
No Sora, never!!! Like this:

BM and Crono>any pre FF7 char>anything else Square has on a Nin.consol>Sora and KH

Kefka wuld be kinda cool. He wuld have the best taunt ever! Wah wa wa wa wa! *insert sound effect*

Post end bucuse hasen´t energy right now...

Devotion

Smash Apprentice
Sora hater =P. Lol everyone has their opinion and I know Sora has such a tiny chance to make it in, but ok enough about Sora this is about BM. Though BM did make cameos on some games I still don't think he'll beat out Crono or Geno (if he counts as 3rd party) for a square rep.

Nyan

Smash Apprentice
Sora hater =P. Lol everyone has their opinion and I know Sora has such a tiny chance to make it in, but ok enough about Sora this is about BM. Though BM did make cameos on some games I still don't think he'll beat out Crono or Geno (if he counts as 3rd party) for a square rep.
I´m no Sora hater (I have all three games) But sora in Brawl is a no no

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Don't him and Geno fall under that 2 1/2 party rule. Here is the ign blog http://blogs.ign.com/phoenixdragoon/2007/10/22/69626/ . So both Geno and Black Mage could both get in. Geno was a cameo in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga and Mario RPG, and Black Mage was in first FF and made appreance in Mario Hoops.
Black Mage couldn't because he's made specifically for Final Fantasy while Geno was made specifically for Mario games and has ONLY appeared in Mario games...

Your misreading that...

By your logic, Sonic/ Mario could count as 2.5 party

d0c926

Smash Journeyman
Thank for not attack me! Last time i made mistake so guy start scream at me

Mike87

Smash Ace
If a Black Mage can play Basketball, then one can certainly be a playable character in Brawl.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
If a Black Mage can play Basketball, then one cxan certainly be a playable character in Brawl.
Unless of course Square did an interview with Famitsu and revealed they didn't want to put a FF character in Brawl if they had a choice of a character because the series is so vast with so many iconic characters...

Nyan

Smash Apprentice
Unless of course Square did an interview with Famitsu and revealed they didn't want to put a FF character in Brawl if they had a choice of a character because the series is so vast with so many iconic characters...
You know what the best thing abute that is? That BM anin't a character, but a job, and more epic and iconic than any FFcharacter ever made. Plus, he rocks!

Quoting myself for truth...wait, can I do that?

My moveset:

Have a staff in his left hand and his right is empty, uses it mostly for magic and punshes. Is between light and normal weight and has powerful attacks with moderate to fast speed. Only dubble jump (plus B^) and has good long range. normal floatiness.

Normal:
A,A,A: Right back hand hit, stab with the 'foot' of the staff and kick with his right leg.

<A>: An overhead staff swipe

A^: Thrusts his right palm upwards does a small Aero a bit above his hand that damages pushes away the enemy.

A\/: Creates a explotion on the ground with his middle and index finger.

ADash: Electrifies his hand and does a sideways swipe with his hand and then stops. (If this is Chidori, Marios smash forward is rasengan)

Arial:
nair: Swipes his staff in a circle around him.

fair: veritcal staff swipe.

bair: Backward backhand strike, turns araound.

dair: Gravity, just before thrusting right palm downwards he charges a gravity ball in his palm that works as the downforce. Does damage relative (1/4 or 1/8) to the enemys % (like demi did in FF games) (works as a normal meteor)

Smash:
<A>: His staff head lighs up in flames and in his other hand an ice sword is formed and he does a fast and strong cross slash.

A^: An lighning charged sumersult kick

A\/: Hovers a bit over the ground (pretty low still) and spins aroung with his staff (I dunno how to explain... a bit like Samuse's down smash)

Special:
B: Fireball: Extends and claws his right hand, a fire ball is created and grows bigger and stronger the more you charge it. Can be saved like Mewtos Shadow Ball. Quite powerful as fully charged and traves at a moderate to fast speed depending on size.

<B>: Lighning, Creates and lightning ball that homes in on the target. Can be smashed for a straight path and is more powerfull.

B^: Areo jump: Makes a small tronado that BM jumps from. Quite high both horisontally and vertycally (makes up for beeing a lighter wheight character). Can use andy mova evept B^ afterwards.

B\/: Ice spikes, Chargable, BM punches the ground and ice spikes come up (fom one center of gravity, like half a spike ball). Spikes get larger as you charge but has a limit. Can hit multiple times with diffrent spikes. Can be used in the air. Then it´s a spike ball.

Grab:Holds with right hand. and kneekicks the opponent.
>T: Lets go for an instant to use the staff head to bang the opponent away

<T: Kicks the opponent backwards

T^: Normal up trow, usig a small wind blast.

T\/: Mashes the enemy to the ground followed by a fire ball
-----

Taunts:
1. Hits the staff in the ground and a fire blast comer out moves quickly abound BM as he strikes a pose.
2. Lets go of his staff (floats beside him) and crasses his arms and laughes (maniac).
3. Twirles his staff around him., Leaves a small fire track after it as it moves.

Victory:

Loss:
1. Claps hands while having his hat cover hs eyes (leaning head forward).
Exquse all grammar fault, to tired to check...

CodeBlack

Smash Ace
Ahem... HADOKEN... That is all...

I'm guessing I should backtrack through the whole thread and see if someone already made that joke, but, oh well...

Voyager

Smash Journeyman
Black Mage would be great.

Or perhaps Terra from FFVI...

But I guess its not going to happen, because Square hates fun.

Fodder

Smash Apprentice
Actually, black mage would be rather cool to have in Brawl because he can be the homicidal mainac from 8-bit theater or the lovable Vivi from FFIX, whom I like more in every way, who has some pretty sick moves himself, like the awesome Doomsday spell. But whether or not they actually could get into Brawl is woefully "iffy" at best.:(

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
The Geno as 2,5 part character was interesting, hope it's true althought i wouldn't mind if megaman comes in, i still prefer black mage or bomberman...

No FF characters because the couldn't choice something really FF spicy in the vast universe? well, we have made that choice! Black Mage! his wholeness just screams FF, could be a clasic NES/Snes, a FF tactics or the more newer games like Vivi...

generic? well, pikachu, Mrgame&Watch, jigglypuff, pkmn trainer (maybe in teh game was only one RED, but the game was designed to fight via cable link, so you could fight against hordes of other "REDS" and would be still canon to the game... i think that is why the decided to name it PKMN trainer... ) even Yoshi is generic, but they still are in the game because they have some personality, and are significant and ABOVE ALL, memorable... so it is Black Mage...

also, if Squaresayed that, it means that it had at least some interest in brawl.. what that could mean?

Nyan

Smash Apprentice
Have a staff in his left hand and his right is empty, uses it mostly for magic and punshes. Is between light and normal weight and has powerful attacks with moderate to fast speed. Only dubble jump (plus B^) and has good long range. normal floatiness.

Normal:
A,A,A: Right back hand hit, stab with the 'foot' of the staff and kick with his right leg.

<A>: An overhead staff swipe

A^: Thrusts his right palm upwards does a small Aero a bit above his hand that damages pushes away the enemy.

A\/: Creates a explotion on the ground with his middle and index finger.

ADash: Electrifies his hand and does a sideways swipe with his hand and then stops. (If this is Chidori, Marios smash forward is rasengan)

Arial:
nair: Swipes his staff in a circle around him.

fair: veritcal staff swipe.

bair: Backward backhand strike, turns araound.

dair: Gravity, just before thrusting right palm downwards he charges a gravity ball in his palm that works as the downforce. Does damage relative (1/4 or 1/8) to the enemys % (like demi did in FF games) (works as a normal meteor)

Smash:
<A>: His staff head lighs up in flames and in his other hand an ice sword is formed and he does a fast and strong cross slash.

A^: An lighning charged sumersult kick

A\/: Hovers a bit over the ground (pretty low still) and spins aroung with his staff (I dunno how to explain... a bit like Samuse's down smash)

Special:
B: Fireball: Extends and claws his right hand, a fire ball is created and grows bigger and stronger the more you charge it. Can be saved like Mewtos Shadow Ball. Quite powerful as fully charged and traves at a moderate to fast speed depending on size.

<B>: Lighning, Creates and lightning ball that homes in on the target. Can be smashed for a straight path and is more powerfull.

B^: Areo jump: Makes a small tronado that BM jumps from. Quite high both horisontally and vertycally (makes up for beeing a lighter wheight character). Can use andy mova evept B^ afterwards.

B\/: Ice spikes, Chargable, BM punches the ground and ice spikes come up (fom one center of gravity, like half a spike ball). Spikes get larger as you charge but has a limit. Can hit multiple times with diffrent spikes. Can be used in the air. Then it´s a spike ball.

Grab:Holds with right hand. and kneekicks the opponent.
>T: Lets go for an instant to use the staff head to bang the opponent away

<T: Kicks the opponent backwards

T^: Normal up trow, usig a small wind blast.

T\/: Mashes the enemy to the ground followed by a fire ball
-----

Taunts:
1. Hits the staff in the ground and a fire blast comer out moves quickly abound BM as he strikes a pose.
2. Lets go of his staff (floats beside him) and crasses his arms and laughes (maniac).
3. Twirles his staff around him., Leaves a small fire track after it as it moves.

Victory:

Loss:
1. Claps hands while having his hat cover hs eyes (leaning head forward).

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
nice moveset.. but could have more ice attacks, also, his up B could be a more original version of aereo, making wind blowing upside in a great part of teh stage, if he is in the air, he gets elevated, but if he is in ground, he doesn't (much like link's up B) and this move don't do damage but make the characters above fall a bit more slow, and thus a bt more easy to intercept... onlya a suggestion...

oh, and also, i made a sticker! ^^

free to use in your sigs, support BM!

del-boy

Smash Journeyman
Black Mage would be good but I think if we do get a SE rep it will be from a game that comes out around brawl.

Top Bottom