• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Thinking about taking up Bowser as a secondary.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
I just need to know how he plays. Is he an all out power character, more mindgames, or a mix of both. I use Diddy so I want someone who takes a lot of quick thinking AND long term planning.:confused:

B!squick

Smash Master
Basically shield and act accordingly. Defense is Bowser's game. He's forced to approach in most match ups though. Did you look at the guides? They'll give you a good idea of what moves to use and which to avoid as well as the move discussion thread which goes into greater detail.

But the gist is you have a gigantic shield and it should be used thusly.

GooseMainsDiddy

Smash Ace
Basically shield and act accordingly. Defense is Bowser's game. He's forced to approach in most match ups though. Did you look at the guides? They'll give you a good idea of what moves to use and which to avoid as well as the move discussion thread which goes into greater detail.

But the gist is you have a gigantic shield and it should be used thusly.
All right, I'll look at the guides tomorrow. Those things never really help me much though.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I dunno, isn't Diddy like, the absolute opposite of Bowser in terms of gameplay? Diddy is a character with overly aggressive gameplay, while Bowser is THE defensive character of the game.

Besides, I wouldn't really know of many MUs in which Diddy is disadvantaged but Bowser not... except for MK, maybe. D:

Though, I don't know too much of Diddy, so ya.

Edit:
Oh, and.. Hi Bowser boards! I'm Spadefox, the only Austrian Bowser player, woo. o_o

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Underated?! I think not.
lol

Were the character board with the least amount of threads and posts and every matchup thread we go in we hear "ZOMG! Boozer has small range, is so big that we don't even have to look and just mash buttons and we'll still hit him, is the easiest character to gimp and plays aggresive"

Why?

..because people are stuck in the past and don't realize this isn't melee bowser (and even then some of that stuff is wrong >_>) or don't have any experience playing a bowser so they threoycraft like there's no tommorow.

-:bowser:Bowser King

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
No, it's more "He's heavy, so he's a bit hard to kill, but he's slow, big and has a horrible recovery, so it's 70:30".

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
No, it's more "He's heavy, so he's a bit hard to kill, but he's slow, big and has a horrible recovery, so it's 70:30".
That's it XD

Only the pit boards say he has small range :p

On-Topic: Be sure to check out the guides and stickies. Bowser players are pretty awesome when it comes to discussing bowser and staying on topic. We don't have many pointless threads so you should read through the 1st page and learn about King Koopa.

-:bowser:Bowser King

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
You guys are noob Bowsers, where is your spam of the omnipotent D Smash!?

And yes, Bowser does make a good secondary, his MU with MK alone makes him a decent secondary.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
I just need to know how he plays. Is he an all out power character, more mindgames, or a mix of both. I use Diddy so I want someone who takes a lot of quick thinking AND long term planning.:confused:
I take it you don't do heavyweights much? if you went all out power on a heavy you'd get wrecked since you would only be using moves too slow to be effective outside situational circumstances (they may be great situationally though). also, mindgames are needed for everything.

try playing bowser as quick as you can, he hits hard enough where you don't have to worry about hitting hard.

for quick thinking, klaw approach forces them to either roll back or spotdodge, guess quick, also, grab releases are not as consistent as you would like, learn to tell which will ground break and which will air break. long term planning is completely player dependent for all characters besides snake

Ray_Kalm

Smash Master
NNID
Ray_Kalm7
3DS FC
3626-0429-4546
I dunno, isn't Diddy like, the absolute opposite of Bowser in terms of gameplay? Diddy is a character with overly aggressive gameplay, while Bowser is THE defensive character of the game.

Besides, I wouldn't really know of many MUs in which Diddy is disadvantaged but Bowser not... except for MK, maybe. D:

Though, I don't know too much of Diddy, so ya.

Edit:
Oh, and.. Hi Bowser boards! I'm Spadefox, the only Austrian Bowser player, woo. o_o
I wouldn't make random guesses If I were you. Bowser isn't "the" defensive player of the game, the defensive player of the game happens to be Ganon.

Blade1844

Smash Apprentice
Regardless of what shortcomings he may have, bowser is a very fun secondary

WeeGeeSmash

Smash Apprentice
Bowser is good as a secondary, He has attacks that come out fast. (Take the forward-tilt for example) He's heavy hard to kill. And his recovery....well...IDK. His speed isn't as bad as some heavy guys...

Go for it. If you can master Bowser, he'll become one of your mains. (Like me!)
I use the flames a lot too.

Dr. Jiggly

Smash Rookie
i mained gannon for some time and did quite well in a few tournies with him. and by the end the crowd wished i had won for using such a different main. but that aside i never really had a main but just dabbled in a lot of chars. but i can say i love bowser and he is offically my second.

Top Bottom