• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Things That Bug you in Smash

Furret24

Smash Master
The fact that the Sound Test has been incomplete for over a year now.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
The fact an Amiibo secondary market exists... you know you are handling the supply badly when things wind up being resold for way over MSRP. There are quite a few I would like to pick up over the lifetime of Sm4sh... but can't do them all at once when they come out because my bank account says no.

Ninja Girl

Smash Rookie
Am I the only one that thinks rage as a mechanic is really cheesy and uncompetitive? I wish there was a way to toggle it off so maybe competitive games could be played with no rage.

Yellowpikmin476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yellowpikmin476
3DS FC
4854-6467-1287
Where's my Target Test and Adventure Mode? Smash Run is kinda like an Adventure Mode but the map feels kinda small after you've played it a bunch, and the time limit doesn't let you actually explore and look around the place at your leisure. Obviously that's not what Smash is about, but... still.

Kapus

Smash Ace
NNID
Kaplus4
3DS FC
3626-0411-0921
A lot of stages look cool and have neat music but are too obnoxious to fight on. Also the item selection is kinda lame and they got rid of some of my favorite items from previous games.

apparently fuz

legendary doesn't fit me.
NNID
googlemynumber
3DS FC
1908-0730-5856
Not being able to buy stuff like costumes or customs with coins.

Speaking of costumes, having a 'customise' shop for the roster (like in the Tekken games) was a missed opportunity.

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Not being able to buy stuff like costumes or customs with coins.

Speaking of costumes, having a 'customise' shop for the roster (like in the Tekken games) was a missed opportunity.
Agreed right there. You can't ever begin to imagine how ultra rare some of the bonus effects are in Smash 3DS / Wii U. You'd be lucky to get even one Anchor Jump or Double-Jump Drag bonus effect, while you have better odds of getting the Vampire or Critical Hitter bonus effect.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
The fact that there hasn't been a 3DS map pack announced for Wii U DLC. Never liked how the 3DS took Corneria, Jungle Japes, Yoshi's Island and a few others from me.

If they had to make the game different early on fine... but at this point I think it makes sense to give us the option to purchase all of those.

For fairness sake, any Wii U stage that can run on the 3DS should be made available to them as well... though the lack of it admittedly doesn't bug me as I don't own that version.

Any way we could unite and tell developers MAKE THIS AND TAKE OUR MONEY!!!??? I suspect it would sell very well.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
The fact that sometimes, when I use the other analogue stick to perform a quick smash attack, I get a jab, which sometimes ruins a perfect chance for a kill.

VillageofFitness

Smash Apprentice
This is more of a commentary on myself as a player than anything else but it still bugs me. I've noticed that every reveal character has the character performing a super impressive meteor smash. However, I rarely go for Meteor Smashes, as the risk outweighs the reward most times. It's like the trailers are mocking me for not being skilled.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Am I the only one that thinks rage as a mechanic is really cheesy and uncompetitive? I wish there was a way to toggle it off so maybe competitive games could be played with no rage.
No, you are not the only one who thinks this.

imago^dei

Smash Rookie
My biggest gripe is the lack of features in training mode. It would be great if there was:
  • An edge guarding option. Basically, if the CPU is on stage, have it automatically run to the closest edge, waiting for you to strike. From there, you can knock the CPU off stage and practice your edge guarding. Have the CPU wait until you pause for a second or two before running back. Rinse and repeat.
  • Fixed percentage. There should be an option to specify that the percentage you hard set is fixed, meaning, after you string together attacks against the CPU, it automatically resets to the percentage you specified after a second or two of downtime.
  • Target practice. Make the CPU stationary so it does not move even when you hit it. This would be helpful to practice offensive spacing.
  • Stationary attack. Make the CPU attack from a stationary position. This would be helpful to practice defensive spacing.
  • Safe on shield. Basically, have the CPU stand still on the stage, and shield immediately when you attack, and then attempt to attack/grab you. That way, you could practice your safe on shield limits/spacing/options, etc.
  • Record. MKX has this. Give the ability to record the CPU's movements and have them replay it over and over.
Also, when playing FG, why do I have to pick the color I want every single time? There should be an option to have a "favorite" color that always gets selected by default. Sheesh that's annoying. If they already have that option, let me know, because I can't find it.

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
Also, when playing FG, why do I have to pick the color I want every single time? There should be an option to have a "favorite" color that always gets selected by default. Sheesh that's annoying. If they already have that option, let me know, because I can't find it.
They do, but it's 3DS exclusive.

Digital Hazard

Weaboo Trash
NNID
EMIYAtheArcher
Switch FC
SW-2638-8237-4984
Collecting Customs. Don't take me wrong, I wouldn't have completed Classic in 9.0 if it wasn't for them, thing is, because the items collected are selected at random, trying to get them all is way too hard.

Especially when talking about Custom Moves.

Last edited:

NewFoundAbility

Banned via Warnings
Dublin, CA 94568, bowing down before the Jlfksjlfl
NNID
NewFoundAbility
The loading in the Wii U version has gotten really slow I noticed. Especially when you start the game and it gets through the first screen. I thought my game froze on a few occasions.
Wanna know something weird? If you disconnect your Internet from the WiiU, the startup loading for Smash is cut in half or more.

I may be wrong actually, but I hate the startup time on Smash4, and for some reason when I went over to my Bro's house for week and setup the WiiU there (I didn't setup the Internet because lazy and I didn't need it) - what happened was it took less than a minute to boot!

Try it, I wanna know if I'm not crazy. :drshrug:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Since replay data is just coding that recreates a match, and not actual video files, it's understandable.
I think Team Fortress 2 saves replays in a very similar way, it's updated far more often for sure, and I can still play my replays from 2011 just fine.
It's not like it can't be done.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I think Team Fortress 2 saves replays in a very similar way, it's updated far more often for sure, and I can still play my replays from 2011 just fine.
Still, the balance patches change the fighters in a way that breaks the replay data's coding.

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
If that's the case I'd prefer video files honestly.
That'd take effort.
This game runs on the same engine Brawl did and reuses atleast 70% of the sounds from it.
Not gonna happen.
Oops I accidentally said my uber-secret feelings about Smash 4.

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
That'd take effort.
This game runs on the same engine Brawl did and reuses atleast 70% of the sounds from it.
Not gonna happen.
Oops I accidentally said my uber-secret feelings about Smash 4.
Why recreate assets when you have perfectly sound ones over there? It's not laziness, it's efficiency and it's something a lot of developers do.

I could be wrong cause I don't actually play TF2, but according to the Wiki, those replays also become unreadable after a game update unless they're properly exported to a video format. If I had to take a gander, those numerous updates you're referring to are probably small things like hats that won't affect the balance too much.

If that's the case I'd prefer video files honestly.
You say that now and then once one 3 minute 1080p@60FPS recording prevents from downloading anything to your Wii U, you'll be wondering why it can't be smaller.

If you want to keep your replays, for any game (since Smash isn't the first game to utilize this technique and it won't be the last), just purchase a capture card. Sure it sucks having to buy extra equipment, but it's better.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
  • The way this roster was made seems like it was shoved out the door ASAP so that they could maybe try and wring the last bits of money out of the WiiU. Smash shouldn't be devolving into a shilling device for whatever IP is hot at the time.

• :4samus: has been the only representative character of her franchise since the beginning. For a franchise as immensely popular in the West as Metroid, having only one character representing the franchise is ridiculous. I don't count :4zss: as a separate character, in spite of what the game shows; they're both the same damn thing, just one has a power suit and the other has...rocket heels.

• Ridley isn't "too big" to work, either; if you want to represent him properly, you make him be brutal with his moves, not make him a titan. Ridley's the smallest main antagonist of the franchise, even; it shouldn't be very hard to scale a 12-foot tall Ridley to a 7-foot tall Ridley considering he's already humanoid in proportions. That's one of the biggest things that bug me in Smash.

• :4darkpit:. Just...:4darkpit:. Okay, I get it; Uprising was new and you felt like representing the franchise a bit more. But if you really needed a clone, why not make Medusa as a :4palutena: clone? At least then people wouldn't be pissed.

• :4charizard: being sluggish and slow in the air with crap jumps. Seriously, why is this even a thing? He's shown through the rest of the Pokemon franchise to be a fast flyer and able to jump well...so why is it in Smash that he basically has what amounts to the goddamn TITANIC tied to his ankles?!

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
The way this roster was made seems like it was shoved out the door ASAP so that they could maybe try and wring the last bits of money out of the WiiU. Smash shouldn't be devolving into a shilling device for whatever IP is hot at the time.
Doesn't the series always work as just one big advertisement for videogame franchises anyway?

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Doesn't the series always work as just one big advertisement for videogame franchises anyway?
Yeah, true...but this is especially noticable because of the overuse of certain franchises. We didn't need this much KI (overall, not just characters!) when DK and Metroid don't even have any antagonists to have their heroes square off against in the game (except for a hideously rigged and slapdash "boss" "hazard" in Samus' case).

FamilyTeam

NNID
MontanaCity
Too much Kid Icarus?
We only have 3 characters. Pit, Dark Pit and Palutena, and I'm fairly sure they're really relevant to their series. That's also why we have 6 FE characters: The series has a lot of games, nearly all of them change almost the entire cast so picking a few characters from the series to represent it isn't easy.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Yeah, true...but this is especially noticable because of the overuse of certain franchises. We didn't need this much KI (overall, not just characters!) when DK and Metroid don't even have any antagonists to have their heroes square off against in the game (except for a hideously rigged and slapdash "boss" "hazard" in Samus' case).
KI only has 3 characters, one of them being a last minute promoted alt of an existing one, so it's not that much. The enemies and items were mostly added because they had assets from Uprising so they were utilized to save time and resources, also I'm pretty sure that most people who complain about this don't even play with items nor bother with Smash Run on the 3DS that much, so it's kind of silly the noise that people make over content that they are going to be avoiding in the first place.

Also, it seems hypocritical how you refuse to count ZSS as a separate character yet is more than willing to acknowledge Pitoo as his own. Character identity aside, ZSS utilizes a different model, default pose, appearance, moveset, frame data and playstyle when stacked against Samus making her a completely different character from a technical standpoint, yet Pitoo is essentially the same as Pit with a different color scheme, exact moves, reskinned FS and Side B having minor differences in his moves' properties. People also have no problem acknowledging Zelda and Sheik as their own despite being in the same boat as Samus/ZSS. Double standards, yo!

Last edited:

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
Solutions to the majority of the comments users are posting about have been presented here.
Support that if you want to see this game reach its full potential, complaining here (while it is the purpose of this thread) won't do much.
You don't actually think the devs are going to take any of that into consideration do you?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Solutions to the majority of the comments users are posting about have been presented here.
Support that if you want to see this game reach its full potential, complaining here (while it is the purpose of this thread) won't do much.
Complaining there won't do anything either lol

Custom moves...Where do I start? How about the fact it's solely based on RNG which custom you get? Or the fact you can get duplicates, which do nothing but waste your time? Or the fact the custom moves are shared by the same slot as equipment, meaning you'll get equipment you may never use when trying to get all customs?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Complaining there won't do anything either lol

Custom moves...Where do I start? How about the fact it's solely based on RNG which custom you get? Or the fact you can get duplicates, which do nothing but waste your time? Or the fact the custom moves are shared by the same slot as equipment, meaning you'll get equipment you may never use when trying to get all customs?
At least you can sell excess equipment, so it's less useless than dupes of moves.

Yeah, that really was the only major RNG issue Smash 4 had overall.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The disturbing part about the equipment is that you often get a lot of generic equipment that's too weak when you already have stronger variants present. And I've already mentioned about some bonus effects being harder to acquire than others.

Too much Kid Icarus?
We only have 3 characters. Pit, Dark Pit and Palutena, and I'm fairly sure they're really relevant to their series. That's also why we have 6 FE characters: The series has a lot of games, nearly all of them change almost the entire cast so picking a few characters from the series to represent it isn't easy.
I think what's really disturbing is Dark Pit, and why he got in over someone like Wolf. I may understand that it may be due to time constraints, but it's basically a waste when you consider that Pit and Dark Pit are almost exactly alike; if anything, Dark Pit is only a separate character, simply because of the statement that it would look weird to see him using the Three Sacred Treasures. At least Dr. Mario and Lucina actually have differences that warrant making them separate characters.

imago^dei

Smash Rookie
Also, more than annoying than anything...if the connection fails in a FG match, it leaves FG and I have to select "With Anyone -> FG -> 1 on 1" all over again. Why not just spit me back to the FG screen?

Furret24

Smash Master
The disturbing part about the equipment is that you often get a lot of generic equipment that's too weak when you already have stronger variants present. And I've already mentioned about some bonus effects being harder to acquire than others.

I think what's really disturbing is Dark Pit, and why he got in over someone like Wolf. I may understand that it may be due to time constraints, but it's basically a waste when you consider that Pit and Dark Pit are almost exactly alike; if anything, Dark Pit is only a separate character, simply because of the statement that it would look weird to see him using the Three Sacred Treasures. At least Dr. Mario and Lucina actually have differences that warrant making them separate characters.
What's funny is that a similar situation happened with Olimar and Alph. Was it too much for Sakurai to atleast replace the Hocotate Ship with the S.S. Drake in Alph's final smash?

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
  • :4charizard: being sluggish and slow in the air with crap jumps. Seriously, why is this even a thing? He's shown through the rest of the Pokemon franchise to be a fast flyer and able to jump well...so why is it in Smash that he basically has what amounts to the goddamn TITANIC tied to his ankles?!

Same reason Ganondorf doesn't have his own moveset.

MacSmitty

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Seeker624
Switch FC
SW 1823 5909 5682
As a Toon Link main from Brawl, it bugs me that they removed his bounce whenever his sword hit's an opponent on the Down-Air. That removal was extremely unnecessary.
As a matter of fact, it bugs me how several characters with Stall and Fall down airs can't be canceled quickly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom