• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U Things That Bug you in Smash

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
I find it really irritating how Sakurai let us modify our controls... a little.
Why can't we customize ANY button for ANY input? Why are we limited so much in modifying our controls?
I want to set the Y button to Smash attacks. IT WOULD BE SO EASY TO DO. But I can't because Sakurai doesn't think it's a legit option. We have A+B, but I don't see the point of risking an accidental special move input when you could just have a DEDICATED SMASH ATTACK button instead...

I also wish footstooling could also be linked to a separate button than jump. Nothing is more irritating than trying to footstool and wasting your double jump instead, which could even get you killed in some cases

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
- Being able to get the same trophies, equipment, and custom moves more than once. There's absolutely no need to make what is already such a huge grind even worse. At the very least only sell trophies in the trophy store that I don't already have.
- No way to include custom made stages in random stage selection
- Can't ban certain characters for random character selection
- Only one song for each custom stage
- Rumble
- It's the 4th entry in the series, when will they learn we would all rather play stock than time? At the very least remember our previous settings instead of having to change them every single time we play.
I can understand trophies and stickers and equipment coming back constantly.
But CUSTOM MOVES? Now THAT is annoying as hell.
If Sakurai didn't make it so bloody difficult to unlock them we may have had a more healthy customs meta by now instead of a dying one... (and DLC not getting customs didn't help)

Shaymin slicker

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shadowshaymin
3DS FC
1547-5202-1903
For Glory in general.

I don't like the amount of lag that FG has sometimes. Sometimes I win/lose because of lag alone, not only that but if I'm playing someone like Ness and if lag shows up then I just might miss PK Thunder.

The opponents I get sometimes can be a mixed bag too. Some just sit there and spam projectiles, some don't really do much, and some rush into the battle. I don't want easy opponents most of the time when i'm really ready to start smashing.

FG is also my only reliable method of actually smashing with someone else at the moment. (Mainly because i'm just too nervous to ask others and the fact that there aren't a lot of tournaments where I live.)

Not only that, but after a year I finally came to realize that FD isn't a perfect stage, and it isn't a stage that I want to practice on most of the time. Other characters have a bad time against other characters on FD. I just wish that other stages were allowed into the mix (Battlefield, Smashville, etc.)

Also no Mii's online/customs at all unless with a friend. I can understand customs somewhat (because of the equipment), but I would love to know how to play against the Mii's, so I can get a feel on what they can do (since I don't play as them myself.)

Oh yes, and I really don't like Tournament mode. I don't like how you can't choose to have 1 Vs 1 battles. I thought that would have been a nice little addition...

Last edited:

MioTinto

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-2162-7019
  • Both Kirby stages in the Wii U version being based on the same game
  • Lack of representation for Kirby games that Sakurai wasn't involved with in general
  • No support for the GamePad's touch screen (you should be able to use it in the menus, come on!)
  • Lack of Sheik nerfs
  • Lack of Dedede buffs
  • The game initially forbidding Miis in For Glory, then adding not just one, but two ways to let players share their Hitler Miis anyway

kii

Smash Cadet
It would be nice if there were short taunts for different kinds of reactions.
No matchmaking.
Bad Ping matchmaking.
No FG non-omega modes.
FG team is timed rather than stock, and there's no team damage.
Cant play team mode with a friend online.
Can't play with amiibos online. (Playing 2 on 2 with amiibos would be really neat.)
Buttons for Sheild+A don't work sometimes.
It's too easy to do a smash attack instead of a dash attack. (The accepted time between presses is way too long.)
No Miis in FG (They should just have them and balanced stats, or a set of balanced choices of stats, and could have a choice of Mii presets.)
The fact that Mii's are mii's and not unique character customization.
The inability to find a new match in FG without exiting.

A bunch of other stuff. Still love the game, but man there's a lot of stuff that could have been easily implemented or fixed.

LeWall

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eriiluup
The company itself, Not listening the community itself, I know they cant always do wath we want, but damn, take an example of the Fighting community!

ThatAintFalcon

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4296-3957-9894
1. When I'm playing Pac-Man on for glory and my opponent switches to Rosalina
2. When I find someone good and I want to improve by sparring with them, but they leave after winning the first match
3. How the blast zones in 8 player Smash are tiny. Seriously, you can die at 40% to little mac's back throw on omegas.
4. Kill throws
5. Bad/mediocre players who win thanks to lag, then taunt and leave
6. When the first match is smooth and lagless, and then the second is suspiciously laggy, as if my opponent has walked a mile from their router
7. How the 3ds can't be used as a controller when playing online on the WiiU
8. No custom moves store. Seriously, what am I supposed to do with all this gold
9. The fact that you can receive custom moves you already have
10. People who taunt each time they get a kill or if you SD, as if they've styled on you

Honestly none of this makes me that salty, but #2 makes me pretty sad.

ghWyPakDzVvPncx76h2J

Smash Cadet
Why can't we customize ANY button for ANY input? Why are we limited so much in modifying our controls?
I want to set the Y button to Smash attacks. IT WOULD BE SO EASY TO DO. But I can't because Sakurai doesn't think it's a legit option. We have A+B, but I don't see the point of risking an accidental special move input when you could just have a DEDICATED SMASH ATTACK button instead...

I also wish footstooling could also be linked to a separate button than jump. Nothing is more irritating than trying to footstool and wasting your double jump instead, which could even get you killed in some cases
I'm glad you mentioned this. Not everyone can play with the same control style, but having those options is great. I would gladly sacrifice the Y Button I never use to actually have a purpose. Also why can't we customize the taunt buttons? I'd sacrifice all my taunt buttons just to make them do my smash attacks, now that would be a stellar idea!

Goolloom

Smash Apprentice
1: The menu itself being somewhat confusing. Why is there a ''Games and More'' part for Solo modes when they could've kept it like Brawl, Group, Solo, Vault, Online.
2: Classic mode on Wii U. It doesn't feel classic... and 8-player matches are way too common. Bonus point for 9.0 being super hard with Lv.9 CPU's teaming up on you in a ''Free For All'' and having Lv.1's as allies.
3: Long and boring challenges. Clear Classic/All-Star with all characters... Okay, that's not challenging that much it's just time consuming. For some other, they are ultra hard like beating Classic on 9.0 without dying.
4: Custom moves being unlocked with RNG.
5: Replacing individual Target Tests for Target Blast
6: Smash Tour being poorly executed.
7: The toxic online mode now known as For Glory filled with lag, input delay and griefers in every possible way.

Now for things that are more personal...
-The representation some games got baffles me. Kid Icarus and Fire Emblem get a bunch of new things when series like Donkey Kong are lacking. No Fear Factory stage yet? Gangplank Galleon? The Golden Temple from DKC:Returns? any part of the Frozen DK Island from Tropical Freeze? (Yeah I should mention Kirby and Metroid but I'm a bigger fan of Donkey Kong.).
-5 remixes of Jungle Hijinx. From all the other amazing music they could've picked from Tropical Freeze, they had to pick yet another remix of the Jungle Level

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
-The fact that once again there's no specially animated opening intro on the Wii U version. Just like Brawl it's just a montage of clips from other animated cut scenes. They had the time to animate all these trailers but not the game's own opening?
I get how the 3DS doesn't have an animated intro, what it has suffices for how simple yet effective it is.
All I have is the 3DS version so I'm gonna narrow my complains

The menu
- Why is 90% of the game behind Games and More, and why is it such a small insignificant looking button?
I don't see how Brawl's Group, Solo, Vault and Options layout wouldn't serve Smash 4 just fine.

-And why can't the touchscreen be used for the menu?

Classic on the 3DS is more manageable than the Wii U and the Intensity switch gives gold a use,
-But what happened to Break the Targets, Board the Platforms, Race to the Finish or any of the mini-games that came with Classic?

And then there's Smash Run.
An attempt to Adventure Mode gap is rife with issues.

-The way Smash Run doesn't have a difficulty setter.
The default difficulty is what Brawl's SSE called Intense. Enemies are too strong and too Smart for a casual player (the only kind of player who would enjoy Smash Run) to play. This would be fine if this difficulty were Optional.

-Smash Run has a (watered down version of) Break the Targets in it that can't be accessed as it's own game mode in Stadium.

Speaking of their own game modes...

The Final Battles of Smash Run include 300% Smash, Stamina Smash, Flower Smash, Mega Smash, Reflect Smash, all of which are Special Smash modes.
-Why can't we just have Special Smash on the 3DS too?
Why can't we at least have 300% or Stamina Smash without having to slog through 5 minutes of Smash Run first?

-The fact that there's no Coin Matches on the 3DS bugs me a little

-There's no Stage Builder on the 3DS despite Tortimer Island and Super Mario Maker being proof of it being possible.
Even if it's different from the Wii U version, just give us Brawl's custom stages then!

-Why isn't there Plumber Overalls for Mii Brawler?

Last edited:

kable14

Smash Rookie
For one thing, I'm getting REALLY TIRED of damn rounds where everyone else in the match decide to team up against the last person that joins by hanging around idle away from fighting and only ONE of them actively fighting you. The rest then attack only you if you get near their little spot. Why is this more common than it needs to be. There really should be a way to get rid of that garbage. Because clearly, it's way more fun to give a win to One player for free and **** the last player for lols. (Also btw in my latest account of this bs I was actively fighting DDD and he swallowed me and suicided with me to get peach to win) I don't care if it sounds immature. This is rediculous.

Purple_Anteater

Smash Cadet
Buffered perfect shield is pretty much the stupidest thing ever. If your opponents punish is ONE frame too slow, you get to punish them for it. If its 4 frames too slow, then they actually have a better chance of not being punished for their punish attempt because you wont perfect shield their attack if you're buffering shield. WHY IS THIS A THING.

I hate foot stools as well, or rather, i hate that they are set to the jump button. In PM footstools are a separate button and that actually works fine. Footstool combos are dank, i just hate those semi random/unintentional footstools that kill your character at 0% because you tried to edge guard and you opponent mashed jump and now you're dead. LOL so funny sakurai, almost as funny as tripping! The way its been implemented footstooling is basically air tripping.

TaRtOoN-Hand94

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TaRtOoN-Merica94
3DS FC
4141-3495-6237
It grinds my gears that whenever anyone discusses veteran DLC, the list is only ever Wolf, Snake Ice Climbers and then Young Link and Pichu.
Why is it barely anybody remembers Squirtle and Ivysaur were cut too?

Troykv

Smash Master
It grinds my gears that whenever anyone discusses veteran DLC, the list is only ever Wolf, Snake Ice Climbers and then Young Link and Pichu.
Why is it barely anybody remembers Squirtle and Ivysaur were cut too?
Because Snake, Wolf, Lucas and the IC already take all the attention with the Brawl Veterans...

And people have a problem with the Pokémon Reps in Smash... If you put a Squirtle, you need put Ivysaur too (and vice versa).

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Because Snake, Wolf, Lucas and the IC already take all the attention with the Brawl Veterans...

And people have a problem with the Pokémon Reps in Smash... If you put a Squirtle, you need put Ivysaur too (and vice versa).

We effectively lost characters when we made the switch from Brawl to 4. (I know brawl can still be played... but many of us aren't interested in playing both. I for one think it would really confuse my instincts.)

Adding Wolf, Ice Climbers (not happening because of 3ds limitations blocking them period, and Wii U limitations blocking them in 8platyer smash without a major overhaul.), Lucas, Mewtwo, Roy, Squirtile, Ivysaur, Snake., young link, pichu... (and whoever I forgot, I intentionally mixed characters we have got back and those we haven't.) is not only a gift for fans of their respective series, but fans of Smash Bros. Even if smash players never played the series... they interacted with the characters in smash before... and it is natural to want them back.

KGgames

Smash Cadet
NNID
MitsySueG24
What's wrong with Little Mac?
OK, Let me reclarify my statement. I don't really hate the character but I despise some players who use him.
A lot of Little Macs I encounter online are scubby little douchebags who call you insults via name change feature. One Little Mac I encountered got incredibly salty and was literally fuming after I won 5 times against him in a row.
Just my opinion on Little Mac players.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
Another thing that bugs me... the extra step in choosing tags. If we change modes (online to offline, classic to all star, 4player to 8player) player 1 keeps the old tag as does player 2... no problem until oold player 2 becomes player 1... and someone needs to take a tag that isn't theirs so the other can pick first.

One of those minor things that would be really nice if it was done: Allow multiple players to have the same tag on the character select screen... just don't put up the "ready to fight" message until all tags are unique.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
1. Ability to get copies of Custom moves. I don't mind extra equipment since I can sell it or sell worse pieces.
2. Nothing on the Bandai side of things from Bandai-Namco in Smash. AT's, Trophies, whatever. They have more than one video game thing(including Digimon), so...
3. DK Assist Trophy when? I am not mad they only have two playable characters, but it's purely stages and Smash Run enemies for anything interesting. Trophies are fine like with most franchises(although some got less than hoped for, but 3rd party companies are not easy to work with at times. Capcom USA and Square Enix has very little content for a reason, negotiations are hard and costs money for every extra little thing).
4. That said, Midgar having two songs in the Wii U version is a travesty. Where's One Winged Angel?

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
I have a long list, but I'm not raging or being whiny. I'm just dissappointed. Big time.
  • Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, Lucina, Roy, Ryu, Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta being in the game
  • Wolf, Snake, and Ice Climbers NOT being in the game
  • The roster no longer being a clebration of NINTENDO
  • 3rd Party companies getting more that one representative
  • Fire Emblem being equal to Donkey Kong, Metroid, and Star Fox COMBINED
  • Characters that need more buffs not getting buffed
  • Characters that don't need buffs getting buffed
  • Characters that need to be nerfed not being nerfed
  • Characters that don't need nerfs getting nerfed
  • A really, really, really bad Tournament Mode
  • Mii Fighters running 1111 without euipment not being allowed online
  • DLC Mii Fighter outfits of things we don't care about
  • So much missed potential in terms of character customization
  • Flawed online system in general
  • Lack of story mode
  • Smash Tour simply existing
  • Bad menu design
  • Level 9 CPUs read your controller inputs the instant you press the button
  • Using a tether-grab in mid-air to grab the stage almost always makes you N-Air, ruining your recovery
  • The 3DS version simply existing
  • A selfish, bias director that just doesn't care

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
How is he a biased developer "who doesn't care"?
I don't need to do into the bias part, but I'll explain the other part. It's not really that he doesn't care, but it just seems like he's so tired at this point that he doesn't care. He's exhausted of Smash in general, so he just says "Whatever" at this point. At least, that's my interpretation of him, currently.

Jonarobin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
PowerMiner

I agree that it'd be good to do more, but is pressing up/left/right/down Y button for smashes gonna be much different from using A/C-stick for it?

Somehow being able to spam a button for footstool would be great

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
  • :4darkpit: is the only character in this game who is badly represented. I get the fact that the devs wanted to add 3 bonus characters because they had time, but it's not excuse to represent a character this bad. He's a clone in his own universe, yes, but he had different weapons to go with him, a different style that could have been translated in Smash. Instead, it's just Pit with another Neutral B, Side B and F-Tilt. Even Dr.Mario had more differences in Melee than Dark Pit in Smash 4.
  • The Singleplayer is weak compared to Brawl, or even Melee. It's slightly better on the 3DS, but worse on the Wii U with the Mario Party Bootleg mode. Smash is meant to be played with others, but think about the poor kid who doesn't have many and can't always go online. Yeah, he's gonna get bored.
  • Tournament mode is bad in this game. Poorly designed, not appealing, and if I remember correctly (correct me if I'm wrong), not even available offline. It's sad, it was one of my favorite modes to mess around with friends, or even CPUs.
  • :4wario: isn't only from Wario Ware, Sakurai. People have been begging for more representation of Wario Land, and all you did was removing his only move from it (Fsmash). The character isn't just a smelly and fat wannabe Mario, he's also a greedy and adventurous man. But since mister Sakurai prefers Wario Ware, so Wario Land has to screw itself to the bottom of the toilet. Thanks Sakurai.
  • Custom Moves, while really interresting, are poorly made and balanced. Aside for Mario, Palutena, and the Miis, the other custom moves are either worse than the original or straight out better than the original. Maybe if the devs put more effort like they did with Palutena, then custom moves would have been a game changing feature that would have made it in competitively. Instead, it feels like a feature that was forgotten halfway through. It would have been better for everyone to forget Smash Tour and have more focus on those custom moves, I think.
  • Give For Glory ranks. I don't care if kids cry because they're rank D and can't go up, but give us a rank mode. It's way better than fighting random people and reading their personality, just to know if the guy's good. Sure, it would upset childish players, but it would make For Glory a little more glorious.
That's all for today folks. Feel free to disagree.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
-Fire Emblem overrepping. ((Cut Lucina and Roy next game and I'm fine.))

-No adventure mode

-No Pac-Man World representation

-Barely any references to Mega Man 8, My favorite of his games.

-RIP "You're too slow!"

-Mario is still angry

-Smash Tour

-Dark Pit because OW THE EDGE

-No Wario Land representation and the removal of Wario's shoulder bash.

-Custom moves are a joke

Last edited:

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
-Fire Emblem having more representation than Kirby, Star Fox, Metroid, DK, and Zelda, and it's equal to Pokemon (200 million+ sales vs not even 17 million, seems fair). Honestly it really bugs me, why should a fanbase at it's size continually get all these things while the bigger ones don't? It just feels really unfair.

-The lack of Kirby trophies that weren't from Sakurai games, it's pretty hard for me not to notice when characters like Dark Matter, Adeleine and Bandana Dee don't have trophies. :ohwell:

- Speaking of Bandana Dee, the fact that Bandana Dee has literally nothing representing the character in the game irks me, at the very, very least, Wolf has a themed Fox costume, Ridley's a boss, and K. Rool's a mii costume, but Bandana Dee gets absolutely nothing. It just makes me sad.
- That :4jigglypuff: has failed to get buffs numerous times, and has declined in status due to everyone surrounding it getting stronger via buffs when she didn't. Honestly, with how many opportunities there were for this to happen, it kind of feels like she's being ignored at this point. :(

Last edited:

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I swear hitstun in this game is only applied when I get hit. Seriously.
-Fire Emblem having more representation than Kirby, Star Fox, Metroid, DK, and Zelda, and it's equal to Pokemon (200 million+ sales vs not even 17 million, seems fair). Honestly it really bugs me, why should a fanbase at it's size continually get all these things while the bigger ones don't? It just feels really unfair.
People have talked about this a whole lot. Fire Emblem is finally, after about 20 years of being somewhat niche, is achieving some success. Since Nintendo is about to release a new game from the series, it makes sense they want to advertise it to see if the Fire Emblem series has a good future.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I swear hitstun in this game is only applied when I get hit. Seriously.

People have talked about this a whole lot. Fire Emblem is finally, after about 20 years of being somewhat niche, is achieving some success. Since Nintendo is about to release a new game from the series, it makes sense they want to advertise it to see if the Fire Emblem series has a good future.
Yes, it's finally becoming successful, but my problem is that when something's bigger than something else, it implies it's ranked higher and that it deserves it MORE than the others. I'm not debating that Fire Emblem should or could have 6 characters, I'm upset that it's got this before Kirby's reached 4, Star Fox's reached 3, etc. I just can't understand why Fire Emblem is being deemed more important that the rest, I don't want to have to accept that Fire Emblem is "better" than everyone else. I get that it's Fire Emblem's time to shine, but I don't feel like it should have made them any more important than the series's larger than it.

a dog

Smash Cadet
Doing server maintenance and taking the game offline at 4 PM in the afternoon

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
Yes, it's finally becoming successful, but my problem is that when something's bigger than something else, it implies it's ranked higher and that it deserves it MORE than the others. I'm not debating that Fire Emblem should or could have 6 characters, I'm upset that it's got this before Kirby's reached 4, Star Fox's reached 3, etc. I just can't understand why Fire Emblem is being deemed more important that the rest, I don't want to have to accept that Fire Emblem is "better" than everyone else. I get that it's Fire Emblem's time to shine, but I don't feel like it should have made them any more important than the series's larger than it.
I don't think it's as much as "Fire Emblem is more important than Zelda and Pokemon". I already said this in the direct's discussion thread, but if you look at the entire Smash series, Pokemon actually has a total of 9 reps (we just don't have Pichu, Ivysaur and Squirtle in Smash 4) and Zelda is actually tied with FE at 6 (we haven't seen Young Link ever again, but he's still a thing).
Now, does FE have too many characters? Kind of, I guess? I think the thing that makes Pokemon and FE have so many people in Smash is because they revamp most of the cast with every new game, so they have to keep adding more. With stuff like Zelda and Kirby, atleast from what I've played, the important part of the cast is mostly kept the same, so maybe that's why it doesn't have that many reps.
Also, didn't Sakurai say taht he thinks we have enough Kirby reps? I don't know, I only heard it through word of mouth.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
1. Ability to get copies of Custom moves. I don't mind extra equipment since I can sell it or sell worse pieces.
2. Nothing on the Bandai side of things from Bandai-Namco in Smash. AT's, Trophies, whatever. They have more than one video game thing(including Digimon), so...
3. DK Assist Trophy when? I am not mad they only have two playable characters, but it's purely stages and Smash Run enemies for anything interesting. Trophies are fine like with most franchises(although some got less than hoped for, but 3rd party companies are not easy to work with at times. Capcom USA and Square Enix has very little content for a reason, negotiations are hard and costs money for every extra little thing).
4. That said, Midgar having two songs in the Wii U version is a travesty. Where's One Winged Angel?
Bombing Mission, Cloud's Theme, Cosmo Canyon... and though not the best fight song Aerith's Theme... it is absolutely wrong that these were not included... This is beyond a bugs me moment... I probably shouldn't but I feel wronged by their omissions.

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
  • That Fanfiction.net's mascot is an actual character in Super Smash Bros.
  • That Sakurai is seriously listening to people voting with their ***** and voting for characters who make no sense
  • That OH BOY ANUDR FIR EBLM!!!
  • That this is literally it for at least 5 years
  • That the ballot only resulted in one character
  • That the last 4 clowns who got in are considered perfectly valid, but wanting another Sonic character makes you literally Autistic
  • That people are actually going to be sad once these dillholes aren't in Smash 5
  • That Fire Emblem: Uprising has as many FE reps as Pokemon and Mario (not counting spin-off universes) but DK, Metroid and Sonic didn't get a single newcomer despite being juggernauts in the industry with a rich history and a ton of influence on the medium
  • That we don't have The Key We've Lost, Guile's Theme, any of the Sonic boss themes, Samurai Slice, or Ringside
  • That we have two jump buttons right next to each other but still no option for dedicated short hop and full hop buttons

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
What has been bugging me lately is just how random your equipment rewards are, especially when received by your amiibo. You can't influence what kind of equipment that your amiibo might pick up, and it's even more disturbing when you're not getting bonus effect equipment with good stat boost values.

I've recently had to keep track of my supply of equipment duplicates, all because of this dilemma.

If only there was an equipment shop...

a dog

Smash Cadet
Tourney mode being utterly trash, both the lobbies and the "Regular" tourney option

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Equipment in general is stupid, imo.
Waste of development time, and unlocking new equipment is not rewarding in the slightest.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Waste of development time, and unlocking new equipment is not rewarding in the slightest.
Equipment does help whenever you're playing Classic Mode's higher intensity levels, along with the Event matches. Problem is, some equipment is just way more common to get than others, simply because so many fighters are compatible with them; you're much more likely to pick up Boots equipment than Feather equipment.

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Equipment does help whenever you're playing Classic Mode's higher intensity levels, along with the Event matches. Problem is, some equipment is just way more common to get than others, simply because so many fighters are compatible with them; you're much more likely to pick up Boots equipment than Feather equipment.
I suppose they can be helpful in those circumstances, but I'm just sick of getting more every time I play through Classic or Master Orders, when I honestly never use them in the first place.
To me, they just feel pointless and lackluster.

a dog

Smash Cadet
Partly ties into why I dislike Tourney mode, as there's no separating equipment from custom moves. Also most the Mii tournaments in the "Regular" mode also have equipment enabled, ensuring that you will met a campy player with auto-healing who waits to win with the 3 minute timer.

Only good thing about equipment is what M&S Guy mentioned, helping to beat the difficult challenges of the game (especially 9.0 Classic without losing a stock), but then again they could have just made the final boss not so insanely over-the-top and kept the challenge fair. That would have made equipment unnecessary.

The more I think about it, the more that every aspect of the game modes seems deeply flawed. Here's hoping the series gets a new director in future installments so we don't have a repeat of the For Fun/For Glory/Tourney mess that is online with randoms.

silverforte

Smash Rookie
This is purely my frustration with the game. I love Smash and am thankful, but damn if I don't get worked up a bit by some of the nuances this game has. Most of my problems are:

1) Stage builder is bad. It offers barely anything to work with, the touchscreen isn't perfect so you consistently end up making mistakes and you can't use it with 8 player smash. A good example of the difficulty using it is when you try to draw a line and it makes jagged imperfections you *swear* you didn't have any control over even with the grid enabled. It has barely any intuitive use. For god sakes, you can't even select structures and move them and there are no backdrops/walls! 'Buildings' you make are really just floating blocks with no connectivity. The textures available aren't enough, the objects aren't enough and when we have stages like Palutena's Temple and the weight limit in stage builder on what we can make is so shallow, it's really frustrating. So what if we cause some framerate dips with our levels? That's OUR problem. The limit for the amount you can put in a single level is way too small. All this DLC and not one f***ing update to Stage Builder? What!? Why even bother to include it if you're going to half-ass it that badly?

2) Items spawning too frequently even on Low setting. I swear, even on low, items spawn every few seconds. I don't like to use items because of this coupled with the fact that when there are too many items (especially pokeballs) in a match, it just devolves into a frenzy of Let's-all-race-to-that-item instead of an actual fighting match. That and smash balls spawn soooo frequently. I guess it's to make sure everyone has a chance to get one but if you can't get one, that should just be tough sh*t.

3) Item spawning ON TOP OF CPU. This is easily one of the biggest issues I have with this game and I see it echoed here a lot. I just played classic mode 8.0 tonight. Every single time an assist trophy, smash ball, starman, pokeball or health item dropped, it was directly overlapping a CPU. I don't mean nearby or overhead, I mean it actually spawned in the same space the CPU was occupying and always when I'm either doing really well or trying to recover with high damage. When the items spawn on top of the CPU, it's always slightly off the ground and they grab it the split second it pops into the level. As in, they grab it before it even hits the ground. The game is clearly giving itself an edge over the player.

One extreme example of this was when I got to the Mii fighter match. A starman (invincible star) spawned on top of one of the Mii's. He knocks me off stage, I recover. His star wears off. Not 5 seconds after it wears off, a second starman spawns on top of that SAME EXACT MII. It was so frustrating I had to pause in disbelief. Every match with items is like this. I have to turn them off, I just can't deal with the CPU giving itself more of an advantage.

4) CPU's at 9 being psychic and overly grabby. I don't enjoy 9's. I can beat a 9 if I'm trying really hard but that's not why I play Smash. I don't play it to be pissed off and have to try my absolute best just to survive in the game. It's not Dark Souls. I play 9's when I'm practicing. I play 8's when I want to relax and have fun. 9's are clearly just reacting to my inputs and at an inhuman speed. Worse, they mostly just grab and they do it with 100% accuracy. I could be jumping and they'd grab me just a centimeter before my character's feet touch the ground.

They shield up, wait for me to make a mistake and grab me. When you try to play at their game, it becomes a contest of you and the 9 dodging and rolling around each other and attempting to grab the other until someone screws up. It's not fun, it's annoying. To make it worse, they TEAM UP ON YOU! When you're fighting more than one CPU, they will stop fighting each other at random intervals and co-op your ass. That's like the devs said 'okay, we've made a conscious effort to turn the CPU into the most irritating thing we possibly can for the player to fight, what can we do to put the cherry on top? Oh, make them randomly team up!'

5) Amiibo's are way too hard at L50. Thought level 9's were annoying? Level an amiibo to 50. A level 50 amiibo is basically just a CPU if you could crank its difficulty up to 10. I tried to find more about this topic online but, for whatever reason, couldn't. I have a Zelda Amiibo. I've wiped it once because my 8 year old sister-in-law trained it to 50 by teaching it to fight like a sissy, running away, jumping constantly and using nothing but the ranged fireball attack Zelda has. Fighting that thing was one of the most annoying experiences of my life, gaming or otherwise. I beat it maybe twice ever and that was when I was at the top of my game.

I wiped it and attempted to retrain it properly. Still, overly difficult. I thought 9's were bad, this thing... it's more than psychic. It can time travel. Can't figure out any other explanation other than the Amiibo's are not given the same physical limitations CPU and players are and I really would question that 9's have some sort of advantage there anyway. I've seen these 9's and Amiibo's dodge and use abilities, or even come out of an animation, much faster than it would seem possible for a human player to do. Your character just can't move that fast, you have to play by the rules of the animation. If you're using an ability, you can't do anything til it finishes. Yet, I've seen this level 50 Amiibo move faster than that. I had to cheese it to beat it. It was cheap and made me feel like a ****.

6) Network latency problems.

7) Lack of side characters from big name franchises. Sonic. The End. What? No Tails even? Oh we get those goofy ass Mii costumes that look like Ukinojoe characters. Great... Megaman, no Protoman or Bass. Cloud, no Sephiroth when the two are basically a pair. Not even Tifa. Yet we get Pokemon and Fire Emblem galore. It's like I said before, the game is less Smash Bros and more 'Pokemon Vs Fire Emblem (and company).' I really feel like some creative misdirection happened here. Characters like Dark Pit, Rob and Game and Watch are in the game all of which are *arguably* uninteresting both from a mechanical and aesthetic view point, just bland and lame. When more could have been done, some dorky boring characters got in just for name sake.

Sure, there are a lot of cool characters. Zero Suit Samus being her own character, Villager, Megaman... but then you have some duds. Characters that you'd think a normal minded person would go 'That wouldn't be very interesting, next!' I'm sure some people like them, but they don't do it for me.

8) Mii Costumes are dumb. Some aren't. Some of the DLC ones are cool, I guess the vampire one is too. Then you have stupid items like the lion hat, chef hat, several crowns with really ill-fitting wigs attached, that one coral crown that is way too big and makes your face look like the front end of a bulldozer. So much wasted effort, so much lost potential. What good is a character creator if most of the choices look ridiculous or boring?

Here, without thinking too long, let me shoot off some quick examples right off the top of my head of better ideas: an actual normal ass crown with no stupid wigs glued to them, variations of space marine helmets, variations of megaman-esque costumes, different kinds of medieval armors, super hero outfits, variations of MORE Smash character outfits. But, no, we get to 'unlock' a swimming cap after clearing classic mode for the 100th time. COOL.

9) 8 player smash being forced down our throats. I get it, it's fun, it's new, it's innovative. I appreciate it. But it's unstable chaos. Whenever I'm in an 8 player (hell, 6+ player) smash, I can't tell what the f*** is going on. Between all the flashing graphics, the special moves going off, the dust kicking up, the players on top of each other and the sea of just random noise, I have no idea where I even am half the time let alone have a chance at beating 7 different level 9 CPU's! It's madness and it has NO place being such a consistent thing in Classic Mode. Ever do a 25 man (or 40 man) raid in WoW or play online with 3 other players in Diablo 3? How about Guild Wars 2 World vs World in a large zerg? There's too much going on and it becomes difficult to pay attention or differentiate one thing from another. The best strategy I've been able to apply here is to just avoid things til some of them kill each other and it gets a little easier, but remember that bit about CPU teaming up? 8 player smash isn't exempt from that. It happens there too. Good luck running from 7 different level 9 CPU's teaming up on you at the edge of the stage.

They basically walk at the exact same speed you can move sideways during a fall, so you're not likely going to be able to fall to safety and recover from that many bloodthirsty opponents.

If I see a Mario stage on the board and I am trying to unlock Mario custom moves, then that means I have a greater chance if I choose that level... but if it's an 8 player match... that means I'm going to be forced to put up with that horse sh*& to increase my odds of getting a Mario themed move. It's everywhere and it needs to be less of a 'LOOK WE HAVE 8 PLAYER MATCHES NOW' type thing and more of a 'hey we have 8 player matches now if you want' type thing.

10) Final boss in classic mode on 7 or higher. F*** that. It's annoying. I can't even land back on stage most of the time. There's about a full second of time you have to attack before the bosses do their next move and usually you end up using that time trying to either recover or prepare for the next move they make. It's unenjoyable and because unlockables are just handed to you, not worth it in ANY way. Let's say you actually got to the end boss and defeated all its forms. Well that just means you get to do the STAGE BOSS. You probably only have one life, high damage and sure, there's a recovery item but only the one. It turns into this f***fest of you trying not to touch just about anything except some of the ground and a few platforms. If you get hit and sent flying at all, the camera locks in place and the edge of the screen becomes the kill zone until you regain control of yourself. And that one weakspot on the far right of the stage... I've fallen off the screen just trying to locate that thing. There's no reason to do this other than to say 'well at least I did it'.

11) Unlockables given to you too easily/not enough stuff gated. I enjoyed Melee for the way it forced me to have to work for my characters and stages. I *loved* it. I felt like I really earned Mewtwo after playing X amount of hours even though when I ended up wiping my save and starting over I just cheesed it by leaving the game on all day. I liked that I had to find out how to unlock characters.

I liked that I chose not to look all of them up and just figure half of them out or unlock them organically. Now? Most of the game is just there. Okay. You took out any form of 'story' mode, you took out the unlockables (mostly) and just served the game to me bare on a plate. That's like a meal with no condiments or seasoning. Sure, it's a meal, but all the flare is gone. It's about the journey, not the destination. The journey sweetens the destination because you worked to get there, it's a reward. They took out the journey.

Last edited:

DragonBlade64

Smash Apprentice
- Target Blast just isn't as fun as Break the Targets

- Level 9 CPUs are a nightmare to fight, especially in single-player. I mean, clear classic on 9.0 under 12 minutes while playing as Marth?! Speaking of which...

- I like the new "Classic" mode, but at the same time, I think it's worst one they've made. 8-Player Smash is awesome if you're with friends, but my gosh, single-player on a high difficulty when you have to fight those demons and you're just trying to survive? Forget it. It also doesn't help that half the items that show up are OHKO juggernauts that always spawn next to your opponents, and don't even get me started on random intruder battles...

- Multi-Man Smash is kinda annoying this time. One of the Miis is a projectile user and another has an obnoxious jab

- For Glory still uses Final Destination.

Top Bottom