• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things I Like - The Mafia Game - Game Over

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
"I'm okay with that slot but I want to keep an eye on them" is a classic phrase as old as time used by scum who know they don't have anything concrete to attack the slot right now but want to keep their options open.
Yeah that's what I figured

I have a plausible explanation for how that can come from town in this specific context but I'm leaving that homework for kary herself
this looks so ****ing bad for Kary holy ****

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
I mean chaco's play is noticeably less obvtown than his play in earlier games, Laser wasn't wrong about that. But that doesn't make him scum.

I don't really buy fonti's "caught for the wrong reasons." I feel like I've definitely seen town get mad at BS cases before, it strikes me more as a personality difference than an alignment difference.
bolded doesn't feel like a mate interaction

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah rereading it I can seen where you're coming from. I do think that town OMGUS aren't that implausible, especially when the player in question is experienced enough to know how scummy OMGUS are usually seen as.

I have him as a town lean. I don't think chaco would scum OMGUS like that, it strikes me as a pretty reckless push considering laserguy wasn't seen as a scumread by anyone else. The jankiness of the chaco wagon also plays a solid part in why I'm townreading him, it felt like as soon as laser posted his case the floodgates opened and people came out with chaco scum reads despite the fact that laser's case wasn't that good. I do want to see more content from him that doesn't pertain directly to laser's push on him though.
another post liked by kary

bro whats with this love affair with early game DH?

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
I think when you vote someone because of their push on you you'd consider it an OMGUS regardless of how much experience you have. I think scum!chaco is experienced enough that he would try harder to de-escalate the situation

I've said it before but I thought both FF and Wam's jumps onto chaco were pretty shady. I also think Kary's most recent scumlist with chaco at the bottom and FF at top pretty weird considering that the last time she mentioned them was in a post about how they were in the same PoE pool.
more light distancing

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
said I would get this up last night my bad, pretty busy today so I won't be able to check in until really late tonight unfortunately

Town:
1. Fontisian (Replacement for Gorf)
2. Kary
9. Sabrar
11. Somitomi
This town list is really bizarre to me. Imma need you to elaborate on your Fonti/Kary/Somi reads because I really don't see how those are 3/4 of your strongest town reads.
more light distancing kary

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Kary a couple of questions:

Do you think scum!wam would pivot to bussing scum!chaco as hard as he did?

What made you start to townread FF?

Why did you like synchro's #365 if you later voted them for "bringing up old rvs stuff"?
starting to see a pattern here, lots of questions for kary all the time and yet never a push in that direction despite sussing me for having kary so high initially

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Yeah I guess I can see that.

As for my read on you: I thought gorf was ridiculously scummy. Unlike some of the other slots who switched off of you as soon as gorf replaced out I want to see you "earn" your way out of the ditch that gorf dug before switching off. Pushes on chaco and wam weren't exactly groundbreaking which is why I've been staying on

But this I'm interested in
this does not feel like fonti/DH scum theatre to me

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
1. Maybe “fast bus” would be a better term than hard bus. What struck me is that he seemed to pivot to chaco very quickly after Laser’s case.

2. I guess I disagree with you about FF’s intent, I can definitely see some of his posts having scum intent behind them
wow guys look at how hard DH is grilling kary, woooo I can really feel the heat wow :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
Vote Count 4.1

Wam (1): Malakandra
Boomfrog (1): Wam
Kary (1): FrozenFlame

Not Voting (4); Fontisian, Kary, Boomfrog, Wam

With 7 alive, it takes 4 votes to eliminate. Deadline is on Thursday the 1st at 5 PM CST.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Preferably in the pool of fonti (trending up), somi, frozen (trending down)

I can probably give you a more definite answer after hearing more from fonti and frozen.

I also think wam’s been scummy but I’d prefer to yeet those three over him.
I feel like I'm surrounded by drunk middle aged dads trying to escape their families there are so many softballs being thrown between these two

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Vote: Frozenflame

Was hoping to hear more from him but idk if I’ll be around for EoD so we move.

Willing to take fonti out of my lynch pool for now so currently I’d go frozen, Somi, Wam in that order

Kary is a slot that I’m conflicted on. I had her as a scum lean for a while but I thought her answers to my questions were better than I was expecting, they struck me as more genuine and less of a guarded response. I definitely need to sort this slot at some point but I feel more confident in my other reads currently so I’d prefer to look elsewhere for the play today

I really dislike somi’s scum pool. I don’t see the Laser vs Chaco SvS approach it feels like a set up. Plus I feel like somi mentioned reads like this a while ago and it feels weird that there hasn’t been much progression or development on these reads since them. Briefly bringing up scum reads on wam and frozen could be distancing too

Also one thing that’s holding me back from putting wam higher is that he seems pretty unfazed by all of the pressure mounting on him. From my experience the type of scum that get by sheeping other people’s reads are also usually the type to get super frozen when the pressure turns to them and I don’t really see that from him
LMAO THE HEDGING HOLY ****

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Trying to sus another slot that starts pushing you? Boooooo. Wasn't this your game plan in completely vanilla?

I already stated why I consider you to be a better yeet than wam. In fact I literally stated it in the post that you quoted and you cropped it out which looks very grimy.

Somi is a slot that that has mostly been super passive at this phase, but has hit a turning point where they finally started to post reads and seemingly do more than just a guarded chill in the background. Is it a turning point that makes them look town? Not really, but it's still a turning point on the last day of the day phase which makes me see how that slot plays out more.

In contrast, you had a bad chaco push, bad responses to questions that seem to show a lack of town intent, and a bad readslist, and this all happened earlier in the dayphase. Furthermore unlike somi you're still doing the same pissed off defensive schtick today. For someone who had tried to scumread slots for seeming defensive your responses to the pressure on you are chock full of AtE and alternating between scumreading and talking down slots that are suspecting you. The irony is that I think wam has responded much better under pressure than you have so far. And then this:

Which is a blatant attempt to appeal to the guy who doesn't like the current gamestate in order to test the waters with your vanity lynch project.

I feel very justified in my vote. Send him 2 tha essence
Kary liked this post lmao the audacity

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Ngl frozen I feel like you're letting fonti's play in midnight ops affect your view on him way too much.

For one I was actually scumreading you from the midnight ops spec chat (you can check the receipts if you'd like) before fonti's case. I think fonti's case on you that game was less some master manipulation and more just you not playing your best scum game and getting caught for it.

This is a different game with a different playerlist, I don't think think it's a stretch that fonti could be playing it differently
lmao if fonti is snowing me what motive does a mate have at all to try to get me to question her being town when she's put so much effort into the snow? why not let it ride?

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Takeaways:

Mala looks super town. During the night phase my take was “Malak is town unless wam is scum with him” but I don’t see why scum!mala would then start the day phase by pushing for wam and backing down on FF and not the other way around, especially after the anti FF sentiment from synchro and wam to start the day. I do think that the boomfrog town read is pretty misguided though, boom had the perfect excuse to pull that vote considering he relieved you of all of that stress.

Pythag and Kary also look very good from the EoD, pythag for being on wam early and kary for being in the thread and not seeming sold on the somi wagon whatsoever.

I know people might call this hypocritical but looking back there were lots of grimy votes on somi. The only ones that seemed to show justification and consistency in the somi push were me chaco and synchro. Fonti pretty much never explained their read, wam was a self pres, FF ignored their previous reads to sheep fonti, and boomfrog switched at the last minute. Looking back at these, I guess FF’s is the least sus, because at least he’s honest about it being just a sheep and fits with him being forehead deep in fonti’s pocket? I still don’t think that he and fonti are buddies. I definitely think there’s scum in the other 3 though. I like kary’s boomfrog push, I really can’t recall much he’s done this game outside of that vote and the super early readslist he dropped.

I really dislike synchro's malak push. It seems to be focusing on minor details and ignoring the very townie actions that malak did near the EoD. I don’t like how they seemed to attack both malak and somi for TMI views, but despite somi flipping town they still try to push similar reasoning on to malak. It feels way too forced of a push and is enough to make me rescind my previous slight town read on them.

Right now my pool is looking like Wam, Fonti, Boomfrog, and Synchro. I know I was all like “I think wam might be less scummy than fonti and frozen and somi and ****” yesterday but looking now the somi wagon looks so grimy that I think pushing wam seems like the way to go. As socrates once said, we move.

Vote: Wam
bolded is juicy af, further confirms trying to keep kary's general townreadness afloat and continuing to go after me and fonti. scum DID NOT like the idea of our two slots becoming a coalition it seems

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
You're going to have to really sell me on this differing point of view because I feel like the idea that "EoD votes are less sus when they were justified before rather than after the vote" is a pretty uncontroversial opinion.
It's a bad opinion.

As scum, if I need my vote to be somewhere at eod, I am fully capable of doing the groundwork to make the transition look natural. As town, I don't care about how natural my progression looks, I care about whether it's right, which means it's going to be more erratic.
this is ****ing advanced scum theatre if thats what it is holy ****

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Big ass wall of mostly responses coming

This post is ringing alarm bells for me. Imma need you to elaborate on this because I feel like this is the opposite of the natural way this idea would flow

Boomfrog’s vote goes from scummy to just weird.

Kary and Pythag lose their town points, malak looks more town.

This might be a little early for EoD time period but I also think fonti looks worse on a wam townflip, that post where they’re like “I’ll probably end up on wam even though I’m not scumreading them hard” could be scum trying to hedge their push

I don’t think it changes much in terms of how I view FF or synchro

I also think chaco looks better and laser looks bad upon a wam town flip but those aren’t strictly based on EoD play

Fonti’s sudden scumread on me made me second guess my frozen read so I switched gears

I dislike the naked vote and dip, I feel like town would have made more of an effort to try and solve close to EoD. The closest we got to new content from him was him trying to sus sabrar of all people which felt half-assed

I think my scumread on you is closely tied with my read on Wam and I think we gain way more from a wam flip than we do on flipping you. I don’t see how you’re framing it as wishy washy, nowhere in my initial post did I try to hedge my read on you.

Are you scumreading mala for anything other than his townread on you?

I agree that those conclusions go out the window with a wam town flip.

I noticed your explanation, I just didn’t think it’s very convincing. They both say “yeah you’re right it’s mostly the fourteen post difference which made me think 'inaccuracies'.” If anything I feel like somi pulling out completely after you started sussing them looks more suspicious than mala stubbornly trying to continue pointing out their problems, especially since it happened close to EoD and you had expressed a willingness to flashyeet people. So if somi flipped town with the scummier response then I don’t think mala looks that bad for trying to keep responding to you and playing it less safe.

Honestly I think if somi were still alive you wouldn’t have been like “I think somi backing down is the town response,” I think it’s more likely you would have kept pursuing both of them over the apparent TMI slip. Idk about you, but if I was scumreading someone over an apparent TMI slip mistake and they backtracked with “oh you’re right that is a mistake,” that wouldn't stop my scumread on them because it doesn’t change the slip. That fact that you’re now trying to say the distinction is “Oh mala tried to keep it going while somi gave up immediately” makes me think that you’re trying to look for a reason to justify your push instead of reevaluating your read.
curious that there's no kary interaction in this hmmmmmmmm :thinkingemoji: :thinkingemoji: :thinkingemoji:

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
I really hate synchro's vote on Wam. I feel like it goes against everything they were saying in EoD and I don’t buy the reasoning. It feels like they’re really trying to milk the “Wam is good info” card

Part of me thinks the wam/synchro crossvote is indicative of SvS? For wam voting synchro, I feel like most people had more ambivalent reactions to chaco pointing out a supposed scumslip, as opposed to wam who pretty much immediately agreed and sheeped him. If wam knew synchro is scum then it make sense that he would be more likely to believe it's an actual scumslip and would try to capitalize to avoid looking hesitant to push scum!synchro. I could also see synchro’s 180 on wam to be reflective of the very different situation that synchro is in, between being in a position to shift votes off of wam at EoD to receiving suspicion toDay, especially when they’ve faced blowback for their earlier push attempts this phase. I think wam's synchro vote is easier to see as SvS than the synchro -> wam but that vote also makes very little sense in general.
interesting take here re: wam v synchro. Def could be setting up for a synch misyeet following what he may have believed to be an inevitable wam yeet

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
I like kary’s reasoning for the synchro push, I agree that it’s weird that Synchro is trying to downplay their role in launching the somi wagon.

I don’t see why scum!Chaco would keep pushing this supposed scumslip after people haven’t been too receptive to it.

Boomfrog’s play feels very different from his D1 play. Honestly seems a lot better tbh, I feel like he was basically a nonentity yesterDay.
useful post hitting two living slots for current consideration

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
Are you sure I said that? That doesn’t sound like something I would say

The thing is that Mala had been scumreading wam harder than somi throughout the day so I think it would have been easy for Mala to play it safe and “stick to their read” on wam, without the need for EoD dilemma drama.

Fair enough

Because your play after you came back was pretty unmemorable outside of your hammer? It felt like you were sitting on the sidelines, which is very different from the more active role you’re playing today. If you had came back stronger I probably wouldn’t have thought that way
good juicy interaction with boom here, XKCD folks how does this measure up against your experience with boom scum theatre?

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
I see some stuff here and there but it feels like he was way more focused on pushing FF/Fonti before the slip. I also just think it’s weird that pretty much everyone else seemed to be either ambivalent about the scumslip or had the opposite reaction and started townreading synchro for the notes.

I mean I was scumreading both of them before the cross vote so i’m probably going to be biased in considering SvS.

I don’t really see what makes 932 so implausible if they’re both buddies? It seems far more concerned with trying to discredit the idea that the somi wagon was shady rather than justifying a wam town read.
these two slots literally never swing at each other lol, just casual easy questions back and forth with no real development beyond the initial back and forth

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
I could kill Dark Horse? I feel like he kept his vote on me for way too long. Maybe it's not fair to have these sort of expectations for someone I've never played with before, but he seems like the kind of person who would have been townreading my approach to the game.
lmao fonti town, I was like the only other person attacking DH at the time

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
I thiiiink, that the wagons should be boom+Kary.

I don't really like their interactions. I've got some of them :

BoomFrog BoomFrog please tell me more about why you decided to hammer somi and your thought process leading up to that.

Vote: BoomFrog
Kary jumps on boomfrog for the somi hammer.

I agree that Laser could elaborate on what he finds townie about the notes. But I sleep on things all the time. I feel like Xivii is more likely scum with someone like BoomFrog who was relatively in the background.
Kary finds boomfrog scummy, and is likely one who's relatively in the background

Okay so I'm a big fan of the case and that Boom is playing the game, makes things considerably easier.

BoomFrog BoomFrog when did you first scumread fonti?

Kary likes the boomfrog case, and the fact that boom is playing puts kary at ease.
It's also enough to get Kary to not only not scum read boom, but agree with the case more than boom does.

Boomfrog to kary :
If I have to drag you kicking and screaming to victory, I will.
just a weird one.

I knew there had to be another shoe.

It seems you really did do a sick kick flip off of scums face and single handedly won us the game. So, if you are town, nice job!

I'm still trying to figure out how scum pythag might have faked this. But unless someone else is holding another piece of the puzzle, I got nothing.
still trying to find out a way to mislynch the cop eh?
I think this post kinda feels like 'hello fellow townspersons!', with some paranoia thrown in

They're all around, I'll look for more, but that's a team that's actually making sense to me right now

fontisian

Smash Champion
Ugh, I was so close to just snapping and running DH over Day 1, I hate me sometimes.

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
What? What do I do then?
Question everyone. Read ISOs and make connections, and throw stuff out there, but be like, "Does this look like a connection between DH and XX?" but if people say yeah or no, don't be like "okay Vote XXX". Just be like, "hmm. 🤔" Or, ya know, pretend like you are convinced one way just to see how people react. You've got carte blanch to mess with people here, and there are ways to use that to generate useful reactions and reads.

Top Bottom