• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things I Like - The Mafia Game - Game Over

fontisian

Smash Champion
Laser starts the Day voting me.
Pythag:
Boom - town. I've found your questions to be much more of the 'building' sort. Helping to clarify, even helping me clarify some stuff. You also didn't vote for Synch, so that's in your favor.

Fonti - scum. I said personally before that I didn't get why everyone was townreading her, with the flip, but all that she has given today has been AtE which I don't buy.

BoomFrog BoomFrog what are your thoughts on Mala's 'sorry boom' hammer?
Boom and Laser hesitate on me:
This post rockets Laser into town territory for me.

I really like the 'brain thinks scum, heart thinks town' for fonti, that hits me as super genuine.

I also think I agree with a lot of the read list, though I'm honestly kinda surprised that I don't see any emphasis on Kary right now.
I have a hard time forming a case because I thought Syn was being scummy, and if Kary is town who is after someone who looks scummy as well...then we could both have been making the same mistake, Kary was just there sooner than I was.

I'm not sold on scum!frog yet, but I see how PoE lands people on that conclusion.

Wam Wam what do you think the scum team is?
Laser says I might be town, we both post poes with wam and DH.
Pythag:
@Kary, it’s a toss up I think between wam, or DH, but probably wam.I don’t know if I want to yeet boomfrog today.

I don’t like wams claim, I don’t like that he was against the claim, and then the theater of pretending to “fake a claim”

I’ve had a change of heart from the beginning of the dat. I thought that Fonti was gonna keep hitting us with AtE, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

current thoughts :

Town :
FF
Fonti
LaserGuy
Mala

Wildcard : Kary

scum energy :
Boomfog
BabyHuey
Wam
fonti, admittedly one of the lower town reads, I really liked her PoE. That might have been a brilliant transition from AtE into false PoE, and if that’s the case, I’m ok losing to her, but I thought her big reread and reasoning post was solid, and that’s what kinda brought me back around.
Boom drops the case.
Pythag:
fonti has been more up and down, I’ve generally felt pretty good about your presence, so yeah, I think I would be ok with that.

Who else do you think is on the scum team?
Nope, but if wams role is true, than we have three people who can visit, one who tracks, and the body guard who can survive long enough to tell us who they were visiting. It just seems designed to kinda be a mess for the poor tracker

fontis role sticks out like a sore thumb in that regard, as she doesn’t visit anyone

fontisian

Smash Champion
BoomFrog BoomFrog If I were scum with Frozen, I would have prepped him. He wouldn't made the mistakes about Chaco and wouldn't have assumed we have a weird neighborizer thing going on. He's just being genuine, and not reading that closely, but that doesn't make him scum.

fontisian

Smash Champion
where did I say scum!fonti wouldn't lie about it? All I said was that the question of whether the power would be broken in endgame has already been addressed, and the way laser was attacking me like I'm too *ing stupid to understand that scum!fonti with a vote block could * us in endgame pissed be off because it ignores the fact that the power very well could be limited to prevent this EXACT SCENARIO from occuring

sure, fonti could be lying. To do so she'd have to be aware of the gamebreaking implications without such a restriction and would have to invent that on the spot to avoid getting scrutinized or simply policy yeeted because of the risk, OR the mod legitimately placed the restriction in place. Now, if the mod put the restriction in place I think that is NAI and good game design on the mods part, and also the more likely scenario

boom if you think 2,189 "clearly" explains anything we are miles apart on our understanding of what is "clear." You literally don't even address the question raised by mala re: a potential neighborhood gambit
Uh, if I'm lying about the restriction (and maybe I am) then that just makes me town, right? The power would be too broken for scum to have. Also, like, the team would want to be keep me alive for the guaranteed win in lylo, and the only person who has defended me throughout the game is Frozen.

fontisian

Smash Champion
Yeah, I know. But Fonti doesn't get credit for tone. However she does get credit for actions. By letting this drama play out and supporting me in milking it she has given up a lot of power. If I decided to I could have stayed the course and gotten the yeet. If she's scum she's playing a serious game of chicken with my soul.

If Fonti is scum, she knew my plan and counciled her mates to play this cool. Kary felt very townie, he's a true believer in the stuff I pointed out, FF felt hedgy and it seems like FF skimmed the second half of my case, it seems weird to miss my evidence that Chaco was strongly town read by Fonti. Wam felt townie, asking good questions. Mala and Laser didn't have much of a test, but they still seem fine. Pythag is the most difficult. It's too laid back, not enough real parinoia, just easily faked little "what if scary team, oooo" posts. Pythag isn't really trying to solve. However, Fonti throwing down on pythag up above has me hesitant there. I'd go with a Fonti-Frozen-HeuryHorse with a backup scum of Pythag.

The alternative universe is town!Fonti. In that case the scum team saw my EoD2 vote and decided to shoot chaco and wait for me and Laser to do their dirty work. I still suspect Frozen in this universe. They want to keep their hands clean and there's enough momentum to yeet Fonti without FF's help. Pythag looks bad here too. Kary is worse in this universe, being 0/3 on strong scum reads. If Fonti is town, Kary's "yeah that" on the points I made is concerning. But bringing up the "mala isn't new" thing shows that Kary's been thinking about this independently, so he still feels like a true believer. That leaves me with a Frozen-Pythag-HeuryHorse team.

The little push for HeuryHorse from Fonti and Frozen is concerning. Both players acting in tandem repeatedly is just so weird. I don't think it negates them being all mates together. They knew the push wouldn't go anywhere. But I need to think about it more.

fontisian fontisian Convince me that Frozen is town. Who's the scum team?

#HBC | Kary #HBC | Kary I know this swerve away from Fonti is going to tilt you. If Fonti is scum, who's the team? Also, btw, why did you not vote for Fonti?
Pythag and Laser can't both be scum, because Pythag is playing off Laser's reads. Can only be one. Idk, maybe it is like DH/Pythag/Kary. Can't be Frozen with DH, the bus timing is too weird and risky.

fontisian

Smash Champion
For the record, there's a fundamental problem with this argument.

I was pretty unimpressed but this post goes a long ways towards making up for it.

If fonti is scum I think it's frozen + wam, with heury as the wildcard. I don't think it's pythag based on his consistency of thought and tone. his votes look pretty sketchy but aside from that I don't find him very scummy.

I didn't vote before because I already got first bite of the apple in responding, and I didn't want to upset your embargo or influence other people's reactions more than necessary. I think fonti is the best elim today, and if they flip mafia, we see how frozen and wam behave tomorrow. To take your chicken analogy, you don't win by being a chicken.

Vote: fontisian
Ok. I don't think Pythag's had consistent thought, you just pointed out where he wasn't consistent with Wam, this is another spot where he wasn't with me.

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
Pythag and Laser can't both be scum, because Pythag is playing off Laser's reads. Can only be one. Idk, maybe it is like DH/Pythag/Kary. Can't be Frozen with DH, the bus timing is too weird and risky.
Your town!wam read is stronger then town!kary, or just because pythag voted wam D1?

fontisian

Smash Champion
Your town!wam read is stronger then town!kary, or just because pythag voted wam D1?
No, Kary and Pythag interactions right now:

"I also think I agree with a lot of the read list, though I'm honestly kinda surprised that I don't see any emphasis on Kary right now.
I have a hard time forming a case because I thought Syn was being scummy, and if Kary is town who is after someone who looks scummy as well...then we could both have been making the same mistake, Kary was just there sooner than I was."

Kary calling Pythag consistent, then pointing out where he isn't consistent, then not caring and going after me, then I point out where Pythag isn't consistent in the same, then Kary yells at me?

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
Can boom and I be scum?

because I don't see a world where boom and I are different alignments at this point

If he were scum I think there were more duplicitous things he could've done with the bread, which is why I was so coy with that reveal. I wanted to see what he would do

fontisian

Smash Champion
Can boom and I be scum?

because I don't see a world where boom and I are different alignments at this point

If he were scum I think there were more duplicitous things he could've done with the bread, which is why I was so coy with that reveal. I wanted to see what he would do
I don't understand.

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
This is so adorable. Like fontisian fontisian , it's so hard to think these little pythag thoughts are coming from scum.

Pythag Pythag What would I do with the bread man? Lie about it? If I get you yeeted and you flip then I get yeeted toMarrow. That's not worth it.

fontisian

Smash Champion
Man, I thought he was saying you'd both have been scum together and come up with an evil plan for the bread or something.

fontisian

Smash Champion
Ok, this doesn't seem worth. I'm going to take some pain meds and try to sleep.

Final team guess is DH/Pythag/Kary. Wouldn't be shocked if Wam is scum anyway. Boom town, Frozen town. Good luck.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
This is so adorable. Like fontisian fontisian , it's so hard to think these little pythag thoughts are coming from scum.

Pythag Pythag What would I do with the bread man? Lie about it? If I get you yeeted and you flip then I get yeeted toMarrow. That's not worth it.
When we're this close to the end? And everyone has claimed?
You could've postulated there's a role block, or argue there's a redirector or something. Especially if you're scum you know there are possibilities.
And if I'm claiming that one dude I sent bread to is already dead, that makes it even easier to put me on the chopping block.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
Man, I thought he was saying you'd both have been scum together and come up with an evil plan for the bread or something.
Which, I equally find ridiculous.

So if boom is corroborating the bread, you just think there's an evil baker role??

you're not consistent here: YOUR role is mod confirmed and you take that as a pass.

my role is confirmed by boom, and I'm still scum, but boom is town??

fontisian

Smash Champion
Yeah, idk, Pythag's response is towny paranoiay.

Maybe DH/Laser/Wam. I know this isn't helpful, and I'm sorry. My advice is to just yeet DH, there's no real teams that exist without him being scum anyway.

fontisian

Smash Champion
Which, I equally find ridiculous.

So if boom is corroborating the bread, you just think there's an evil baker role??

you're not consistent here: YOUR role is mod confirmed and you take that as a pass.

my role is confirmed by boom, and I'm still scum, but boom is town??
My role doesn't make me town. Neither does yours.

Pythag

BRoomer
BRoomer
My role doesn't make me town. Neither does yours.
My bad, I read this wrong :
Uh, if I'm lying about the restriction (and maybe I am) then that just makes me town, right? The power would be too broken for scum to have. Also, like, the team would want to be keep me alive for the guaranteed win in lylo, and the only person who has defended me throughout the game is Frozen.

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
Pythag's claim doesn't clear him, but pythag REALLY believes it does, which is townie. Wam on the other hand is very concerning, with not claiming D1. I think I really want to just go for wam today. fontisian fontisian What do you think?

Wam

Smash Ace
Pythag's claim doesn't clear him, but pythag REALLY believes it does, which is townie. Wam on the other hand is very concerning, with not claiming D1. I think I really want to just go for wam today. fontisian fontisian What do you think?
Why cant scum pythag get it stuck in his head that the claim will clear him?

Wam

Smash Ace
reserving those until he confirms whatever neighborhood shenanigans are going on right now, it's honestly *ing wack as * that fonti and boom are dangling this ****ing gambit plan in our faces and we have no clear confirmation about what exactly is going on and being lied to is pretty triggering especially considering we have deadline in like 24 hours
No shenanigans I have no neighbourhood as of yet.

absolutely, I've been thinking there are 1-2 coaster scum all game. if no one is paying attention to one of the coaster scum slots, that's 1/3rd of the possible targets that town could pressure to make scum squirm. Assume game is 10 v 3 at start. chance of TvT occuring if T slot accuses at random is 6/9. If scum get lucky and an inactive mate is ignored, now chance of random TvT is 6/8. That's not just a marginal difference. Town slots have been getting attacked all game, and I'm not the only person to express a concern that scum are letting town just TvT ourselves to death. Chaco and synch was TvT, I was poking sabrar a lot D1, nothing heavy and he was doing the same to me, D1 and I now know that was TvT. I attacked chaco a ****ton D1 and D2 and he was town. From my POV, we've just been eating each other alive and scum have not had to do much other than let the paranoia flow

DH just threw shade and hedgy musings from the sidelines all game and wam has very much not been a driving force on anything tbqh. Kary started off good imo and I very much agreed with fonti's original take that the slot was being "reckless" with reads that felt genuinely townie but that also could have just been a very aggro scum style designed to mesh well with the generally chaotic and distrusting atmosphere of the town this game
I agree on the coaster scum. How to you tally me being scum versus the coasters? Am I scum with 2 coasters?

wam has literally taken himself out of influence in this phase which completely fits scum that knows he is not long for this world and is not just trying to minimize paper trail and avoid outing his mates upon eventual flip
Or I didnt trust font, as scum I would have had no reason to offer this. Surely there is enough of a paper trail around me that avoiding it on day 3 is pointless?

I don't really believe in a Boom + fonti scumteam at this point unless they for some reason need to keep Wam alive, since I feel like he was the de facto elim toDay given his claim being pretty hard to believe. If someone could give me a Boom meta read that rules out this kind of high stakes shenanigans that would be gravy.

If fonti does flip green, I think Boom needs to die. He looks the worst from the Sabrar and Chaco kills, particularly the call-out I posted earlier today feels very sketchy to me, and overall I find it hard to believe in a scum team that makes zero substantial moves in a game of this much activity and engagement. frozen/wam/heury? doesn't feel real with how frozen wants heury dead again toDay. pythag/wam/heury? I don't think pythag votes wam at eod1. But I'm hoping it doesn't come to that and we actually #hbc some scum today.

To clarify, no, Mala's guess was wrong. There's no neighboorhood shenanigins. Fonti and I are just reading each others posts very closely.
Exactly the opposite I'm afraid.
This thought is exactly how I lost Vannila Mafia.

Would you be for a Frozen yeet today and Fonti tomorrow if FF flips scum?
I can 100% see scum boom scum font foing what they have done today. This is based on meta for boom and other peoples meta thoughts on font. Not sure in this scenario who the 3rd is though.

Wam

Smash Ace
Fyi rest of the day is probably a write off until 4 hours before deadline or so.

Also I doubt I will live that long but from the 5th my time will be curtailed dramatically

LaserGuy

Smash Ace
Sorry for the delay. This one is a bit of a monster. I think only Xivii is probably still awake to see it.

Going to do some quick reads of the towncore first. I think it's more important to focus first on clearing the towncore and then I'll get into who I think is the likely scum among those that remain. I'm going to try to do this mostly without links or too many quotes because this is already going to be super long.

Malakandra: Malakandra has been playing IMHO a very standard townie sort of game. He has made several aggressive pushes, and while he takes time to consider the opinions of others, has consistently pushed his own agenda. He puts all of his cards on the table and doesn't try to be coy or sneaky. As scum, Mala tended to push players that were fairly low hanging fruit, and also went out of his way to defend his buddies; in this game, he hasn't been afraid to go after strong players, and I don't see any evidence of him protecting anyone. Very solid Town.

Kary: Kary pushes hard against his scumreads, but is very focused in his thinking and isn't willing to compromise. Maintaining this perspective would be very difficult for scum!Kary, as scum often need to shift their reads or attacks around to go after the wagons that suit them. Like Malakandra, I don't really see any agenda in Kary's play. They like who they like and don't like who they don't like and their process looks very logical and legitimate to me.

pythag: pythag has a very whimsical playstyle that doesn't lend itself to very strong pushes or reads; however, tonally pythag comes across as so open and forthright in every post in a way that really screams Town to me. I have a hard time imagining him ever being mafia here.

wam: It took me a long time to decide this one. wam always, always, always comes across as scummy and is frequently yeeted early. Going to quote some relevant meta reads:
than is this relatively standard fair?

He seems kinda too wolfy to be a wolf
Yes, as I mentioned before wam has a habit of getting yeeted early as either alignment. Doesn't mean we should be giving him a pass this time.
I was reading Wam's scum game in Stellaris before I went to bed, and his scum play is much more polished than this I think. He can make his posts pretty if he wants to and his logic is much more self-generated and built in a way as to move the game in a direction he wants.

Town wam always plays in this all-over-the-place idrc I'm not scum and it's day 1 manner.
It's not 100%. I was just responding to the idea that I should be scum reading you because a quick wagon formed on somi and he was town. I don't think there was any master plan to save you by yeeting somi, I think his wagon formed just out of coincidence. Looking at the votes:

-I don't think Fonti wasn't expecting the wagon to form. No one was really going for somi, and Sabar had just put everyone who had voiced suspicion of you in the spotlight. Not voting for you would look suspicious and he was town read enough that the call to arms was going to go through, so it was highly likely you were going to be yeeted. Scum!Fonti voted somi in order to end the day off the (town) lynch and put herself in a position where she could push somi the next day.

-Frozen sheeped Fonti. He was going to vote with her no matter who she chose, so we can't assign his motivation as protecting you because he stated he was going to sheep her before Sabar's call to arms and before she voted.

-I voted somi at the same time as Fonti. If you look back, I was ninjad and then delighted that Fonti was going that route too.
-Dark Horse had a desire to yeet somi since early on. The idea that he was being opportunistic and trying to save you here is invalid.
-Boom is the only vote here that is scummate indicative.

So if Wam is scum, it is only suggestive that Boom is scum. The idea that the wagon formed deliberately by scum to oppose the wam yeet is superficial and simply not valid.

There are two main things that make me believe that wam is Town. The first is that he is much too soft of a target. Any time someone so much as looks in his direction he picks up a couple of votes. I'm pretty sure basically every surviving player in the game (and most of the dead ones) have expressed suspicion of wam at some point and nobody has really ever moved to try to make a serious Towncase for him, outside pretty much only the Sync case that I quoted above. I think, especially earlier in D1 where things were more in flux, wam would not have been such a universal scumread if he were actually mafia. The other thing that strikes me is that wam is extremely fatalistic about it. He is expecting to be yeeted and knows he's going to flip Town. See here, here, here, here.

Wam's claim... I really struggle to see a scum motivation to claim in this manner. As a counterwagon to Town, wam is likely to be of interest to investigators, so sending him to visit the NK target on both occasions seems really out there. And then why claim it? Scum!Wam could just claim VT and not use their power if it really came to that. I think Wam presented this claim with a genuine desire to help Town even though it made him individually look scummy.

This isn't my strongest Townread, but I'm confident enough that I no longer want to yeet him. Also, due to the nature of the reads on the slot, we basically gain zero info from his yeet regardless of alignment. If he's scum, well, at least we have a scum flip. But if he's Town we get to LYLO with no more than we have now.

Dark Horse/Heury: PoE he's Town, but if the three below are yeeted and the game's still going, just yeet this slot and it should be fine.

BoomFrog: So I spent a lot of today thinking about Boom's case, and Boom's agenda in particular for D3. Because my first intuition on Boom's case on fonti was that it was actually pretty scummy. I sort of tipped my hand a bit when he first dropped, but I don't think Boom actually picked up on what I was worried about, or if he did, it was too much time/effort for him to try to fix it. Boom is a big picture player. Like Xivii, fonti, FrozenFlame, Sabrar, among others. By around D3, he prides himself on being able to solve the game... as Town. He isn't looking to find one scum; he wants to find them all. Tunneling on one player, completely devoid of the greater context of the game, no matter how good the case, is not his style. He needs to find the whole team. I was willing to withhold judgment for awhile as he seemed to suggest that he did have a specific team in mind and was maybe trying to sort one slot, and would then present his argument for the entire team. To my immense disappointment, this did not happen.

But what we actually got is that now he's claiming his case was basically a fabrication, a reaction test, designed to generate some reads. Now, while BoomFrog is certainly not above doing a gambit, I'm deeply skeptical that he invests so much time and energy into a case and has nothing to show for it. Surely if he wanted to generate some good content out of it, he would at least go after a target that was not already held in some suspicion. Had he produced a plausible, yet incorrect case on me, or pythag, for example, he might have been able to get more controversial opinions. All his case seemed to do was harden everyone's opinion on fonti being mafia. But again, what is more critical in my mind is that he has chosen to do this instead of making a serious effort to do the solve. At the end of all of this he comes up with 'I guess it's Frozen/pythag/DH'. But there's no game context. Do these players make any sense together? Is there coordination? Distancing? Bussing? Microscopic tells that might reveal someone's inner thoughts? This is what Boom looks for when he's playing to solve the game. What we have here is... wishy-washy nonsense. This is not something I would ever expect to see from a player of Boom's ability, not if he's playing as Town.

So.

Boom is mafia.

There are other things that I can point to if necessary that I think are suggestive of this, though a lot of it will probably be meta-based and I don't know how much weight people will put into it so I'd rather not focus on that unless it is necessary to do so, but I certainly can.

fonti is one buddy. I suspect FrozenFlame is the other. Off chance it's Dark Horse, but, on balance I think Frozen is the favorite.

fontisian

I actually think a lot of the points that Boom has made about fonti are, at least to some extent or other, fair. Particularly the point that fonti has absolutely avoided committing to strong reads, outside of one or two, and has not really attempted to resolve a towncore. I want to contrast particularly with Midnight OPs, where fonti basically locked a number of players as a strong Towncore on D2 and steadfastly refused to budge, forcing scum (Mala and I) into a very tight PoE net that eventually strangled us. She also was much more assertive with both her (disturbingly accurate) pushes and her Townclears. Again, there's a clear lack of commitment in her reads. I struggle to even draw to mind any solid reads that she has made this game other than Chaco. I think fonti has been afraid to overcommit to her reads precisely because she is mafia and is going to need to abandon many of her Townreads as she goes.

Boom's case is therefore scum theatre. He wanted to present a middling case, only to back down in the hopes of drawing the yeet away from his mate and onto some soft target (wam/DH) while distancing to the point that it's unlikely people would believe they were scum together even if we flip fonti next phase. But these are both power players. Fabricating a case against a buddy like this is absolutely within Boom's repertoire as mafia, and fonti did a good job of selling it. Maybe too good, I think. The whole thing reeks of coordination. Their interactions are too tight. Just compare to when I cased fonti here, or when Sync did here and here. She lashes out. Here behaviour here is.... clinical. She's knows exactly what's going on and is playing the part exactly as intended.

I think, frankly, if fonti were Town, Boom probably would have just rolled with it and let her be yeeted. The only reason he is now scrambling for a save is because fonti is his buddy.

FrozenFlame

There are a lot of really strange interactions between Frozen/fonti. The weird Townreads on each other. Frozen seeming to blindly follow fonti's lead in a number of situations. Frozen does not have a sufficient amount of townie paranoia. I think Sync really nailed the problem with him though,
Third, he's consistently overplayed his inability to read anyone and the game being so hard, it's overt hedging all over the place. If you don't see how this is the same Frozen as the last two games, I don't know if there's anything I could possibly add to convince you.
Frozen has never really seriously engaged in trying to do a solve. Same as Boom and fonti. But Frozen is a deep thinker. The spoiler below are FrozenFlame's D1 reads in Dark Tower mafia where he was Town. Don't worry about the details, they're not relevant. Just look at the quality of thought, the attention to detail, the level of introspections. Does this remind you at all of the player in this game with the same name? I'm not saying that Frozen can't change his style to a more concise bit over the three years since this game was played, but I don't see the player who made this reads ever being like 'Hey, Chaco said Kary vs Sync was TvS and Sync flipped Town, you guys think that means Kary is scum?'

Man I'm a bad apple neglecting this game all weekend. Bit surprised to see I'm not getting more flack for it, but I'm gonna take that as this community just being a generally forgiving and tolerant place when it comes to activity. I have kind of a bad rep for being lurky so it's refreshing to be given the benefit of the doubt, which I appreciate, though I'll admit that my activity has been abyssal thus far given the fact that deadline fast approaches.

With that said, here's my general assessment thus far:

Town:

Yoloswag - really the only player in this game I can get a meta read on considering he's the only player here I've ever played with before (unless Zyth goes by a different screen name on smashboards, in which case please forgive my ignorance), and on meta alone he's playing true to town form. I feel genuine scum hunting vibes from his posts and like the fact that he's grouping me in with his scum reads. Oftentimes I can get easy reads on players in communities that I have a reputation in when they give me too much deference or generally shy away from calling me out due to fear of retaliation. It's been my experience that sometimes I can act a little scummy/lurky, see who hesitates to call me on it, and then suss out who was fearful of drawing my attention and ire in order to uncover scared scummies. Now, Yoloswag certainly isn't the type of scum player that I'd expect to shy away from attacking me, so ultimately him not holding back and grouping me in his scum reads doesn't exonerate him, but it shows me he's getting down to business in this game and isn't going to just give me homie cred for free. This distrust coming from him is a good sign IMO.

SDK - My read here is almost certainly colored by the fact that I love to have an "urchin" or two in every mafia game I play. You know, the type of player that is deliberately uncooperative and antagonistic, sticks to his guns, doesn't go out of his way to explain and/or justify his every move, etc. (a la BabyJesus for vets of MafiaScum) I think it adds a distinct flavor to the game that keeps the game from feeling overly mushy. Always love to see a player who isn't afraid to frustrate other players, which always opens one up to attack. Baiting scum to attack you for bad reasons is always a strong scumhunting tactic and though I'm not sure if that's SDK's MO here, I'm liking his no nonsense approach. Bonus points for the unambigiuous demand that dimochka claim in the face of a lynch. (A demand for what I agree is the obvious choice)

Bessie - Perhaps I'm being played by her overly bubbly, accommodating, non-antagonistic style. I probably am, but I'm confident I'll be able to shake the wool off before late game if we both make it that far. She's not afraid to put her thoughts out there even if they aren't the most analytical or earth shattering observations. Her affability is making me feel like she's particularly transparent, but again maybe I'm falling victim to a ruse of naive innocence. I guess I just don't see a scum player with her personality putting herself out there so much while under virtually no pressure to do so. I'd expect more reserved play from a player of her presented personality if she were scum, just as a general tactic to reduce exposure and avoid the spotlight.

Town Leans:

Boomfrog - Nothing has seriously pinged my scumdar from him but he comes off as experienced and savvy enough that I ought not rely too much on instinct when reading him. In particular I don't believe scumfrog would have bothered to make this post:
BoomFrog wrote:
plytho wrote:
Some people have been reading me as newbie (town). Can you say what makes me seem newbish? Am I making some basic mistakes?
Quite the opposite, it's your enthusiasm that reveals that you are new to the game. Newbie town are extremely helpful and transparent, newbie scum have difficulty pretending to be that because of their lack of experience. Therefore newbies are the easiest to read.

On the other hand, his overly congratulatory assessment of Carlington's opening post is a bit disconcerting. Basically gives Carlington a ringing endorsement with no explanation which seems strange to me given the fact that he (boomfrog) basically bent over backwards explaining to us his whole "I lied deliberately to create lynch train parity and bait opportunists into trying to be opportunists" gambit. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea behind this move of his, it just seems to me that going through all that, being all transparent about it, and then coming down with such a hard town read on someone sans reasoning isn't exactly concomitant behavior.

HBC Zyth - again, no bad scumdar pings from him. Has had meaningful and seemingly genuine engagement with the material available. Mostly a gut read here tbqh. @ Zyth, do you go by a different screen name on smashboards btw? Have we ever played in a game together before?

Neutrals:

Carlington - not sure what to make of his opening post. A whole lot of fluffy fanfare and what seems to be a synopsis of what each player has done/how he characterizes each player without much if any assessment of each player's actual play so far. Comes off as a lot of hot air but maybe that's just how he starts games? I find it interesting that Gopher of Pern has pointed out that this type of activity is reminiscent of past games where Carlington was scum. Not sure if we have the time to unpack that this late in the phase but I'm hoping GoP elaborates on this if his meta read pings again.

This also comes off as overly accommodating:
Carlington wrote:
Wait, bessie, is your ongoing issue with my reads just that I don't put some exact label on every player? Because like, I feel that the tone I write each player's read with and the things I like for them are enough to convey my thoughts on each player, is that not the case? I guess it's more obvious to me because I'm in my head when nobody else is, I'll try to communicate more clearly.

Not sure if that's because he's feeling pressure from even the smallest of critiques, or if he's genuinely surprised that his message wasn't clear. So yeah very unsure of my read here.

Plytho - Comes off a bit shady for some reason but generally unobjectionable content thus far. Definitely liked his presentation of this meta knowledge related argument:
plytho wrote:
Mpolo: "forgot" that mafia can coördinate during the day. @regulars: would scum!mpolo post stuff like that to mislead town? I don’t have much of a read on him. Neutral for now.

Comes off as genuine scumhunting. Rest of that post had the same feel. Really struggling here on whether his decent content outweighs his seemingly minimalist approach.

Gopher of Pern - Truest neutral read. Have absolutely no idea. Going to have to wait to read more content from him because what he's posted so far has gotten me no where. Not even trying to say that his content is useless but for me personally just nothing jumps out at me so I'm really struggling to make any read.

Jimbobmacdoodle - My read on jimbob is kind of born of the curiousity I have for jimbob and LaserGuy's early exchanges this game. Ever since LaserGuy wagon reached four, LaserGuy has been sort of picking a fight with jimbob. It's nothing explosive, but Laser throws these little jabs at jimbob.

LaserGuy wrote:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:
Hi everyone! Four votes on D1? I didn't realize I was so intimidating.

YOLOSWAG, SDK, FrozenFlame, why did you decide to vote for me? jimbob, IGMEOY for keeping your joke vote on me after a wagon formed around it.

Shrug. I was interested to see how you reacted before removing my vote after others piled on. If you'd been at L-1, it might have been a different matter, but at L-3 votes, why are you bothered by me leaving my vote on?

You didn't seem the least bit interested or curious about the fact that a four-person wagon formed around your random vote almost instantly, despite the fact that isn't the usual meta for these boards. I'm still trying to decide what to make of your subsequent reaction. You shrug, but then go on to defend the entire wagon unprompted, which seems like a bit of an overreaction. Now, you've read my reaction, yet your vote is still there.

LaserGuy wrote:
#HBC | Zyth wrote:
Laserguy, what are your reads on SDK and jumbob?

SDK is probably town. jimbob is leaning scum.

Basically I see this little back and forth where LaserGuy is coming at jimbob and jimbob kind of shrugs off his offensives. I don't take this interaction as being forced, jimbob is too unfazed to be doing a role play here. Their interactions just come off as TvS, though I'm much more confident that its not SvS than I am about ruling out TvT. I find it a bit peculiar though that Laser has parked on dimochka so solidly with no real showing of true interest to hop onto jimbob now that he has a couple votes. Makes me think Laser is settling here for the dimochka lynch, where it's because he felt compelled to get on the bus early and stick too it to sell it, or because he's not trying to rock the boat too hard and pick up an easy mislynch.

So yeah this jimbob neutral read should probably be classified as a neutral-slight-town read, but again, that's only because its the product of my scummy read on Laserguy and my view of their interactions as feeling TvS. So naturally I should follow this up with...

LaserGuy - leaning scum. He just seems too on edge, like he has a bone to pick, since the early game wagon. This read stems mostly from the tone of his prose. When I read his posts I get this feeling of slight indignation that gives his posts this oddly pushy feel. I mean like, to sum my feelings up, who the hell puts an "unofficial vote" on someone?

LaserGuy wrote:
BoomFrog wrote:
LaserGuy wrote:
Any opinions of your own that you'd like to share BoomFrog? Feels scummy to me.

LaserGuy LaserGuy why did you ignore the fact that I was the very first person to raise attention to dimochka's scumminess and unoffically the first vote on him?

You weren't. SDK placed a serious vote on him before your "unofficial" vote. I had also previously put IGMEOY on dimochka for his early wine comment. Regardless, simply pointing out scummy behavior in one player is not necessarily indicative of you being town, nor does it change the scumminess of your subsequent play. The fact that you've made a post pointing to this one line of content as defense of your play is honestly not helping your cause.

Consider this my unofficial vote on you.

It just seems like he's posturing a bit too much. Like he's trying to subtley establish some kind of dominance or authority over some players. Feels scummy to me frankly. He'd be my pick but for dimochka.

Mpolo - neutral slight leaning scum. Comes off as having this lack of agency and detachment from potential outcomes. Like this:
mpolo wrote:
I honestly jumped into this without noticing the nightlessness. Bessie is then right, we might be able to detect some collusion, if we get lucky. I just got back from vacation, and should be posting more regularly, but i have a (stupid) computer problem to solve right now, so will have to wait, probably until tomorrow, for something more substantive.

What do you mean we might be able to detect collusion if we get lucky ? What does luck have to do with us being able to do this? Unless the scum aren't collaborating at all, surely there is always the possibility to pick up on tells and coordinated crafting of false reads. If collaboration is in fact occurring, whether or not we pick up on it and exploit it to quickly connect scum flips certainly won't be an exercise in luck. This comment makes me think mpolo has subconsciously, whether my virtue of being scum or whimsical town, minimized the importance and likelihood of "detecting collusion" in his mind. Seems to me like a subconscious desire to avoid meaningfully engaging with what it might mean to actively "detect collusion" or an actual apathy toward it being a potential tool for developing future reads. It's really just the "if we get lucky I guess that'd be cool" type attitude to me that comes off as evasive.

The conclusion of his big "reads" post only reinforced this non-committal, agencyless vibe:

mpolo wrote:
I don't have any extremely scummy reads up to this point. I think the one I'm going to vote at the moment is:

Vote: BoomFrog

Look at that phrasing. Lots of hedging. "I think" and "at the moment" particularly. It's like there's no soul to this slot. Just feels like he's going through the motions and isn't invested in really scumhunting. Could be mistaking apathetic town here but it doesn't feel that way.

Dimochka - Likely scum. SDK rightly points out that people are likely bussing dimochka. The ease at which the wagon grew I found off putting, made me think all the scum had quickly bandwagonned an easy mislynch but when I considered the possibility that scum felt the growth was inevitable without their being any real wagon with true parity in attention, and thus decided to bus quickly to snag up whatever town cred they could salvage. Comfortable lynching dimochka today given all the attention on the wagon and resulting interactions that will provide great leads upon flip. Willing to hammer if that's the consensus, but want to here claim first. No sense in not claiming with deadline so close, unless you have a particular type of role that would provide the scum with particular strategic benefit knowing it was out of the game. Hopefully you can deduce what I'm getting at. Basically if your role is as weak as you claim it to be, it's better for town to know what it's allegedly lynching pre-night phase if we aren't going to get your flip immediately from the lynch.

Basically dimochka just rolled over too easily for any true townie. It really feels like dimchka just isn't putting up much of a fight so that the wagon just rolls along quietly, thus facilitating less debate over the wagon and allow his teammates to bus easily without too much exposure. It's like "leads triage." Don't put up a fight and make your partners REALLY have to justify their bussing of you. Just let everyone slide with easy reasons so as to minimize the number of meaningful connections that rigorous engagements evoke.

Like have you ever read more flatfooted defenses?

dimochka wrote:
SDK wrote:
dimochka is probably scum, Take 1.

Sorry, nope. Town all the way. But poking the bear(s) on D1 is usually fun.
I do have to agree that, in retrospect, I backed off my last vote for no good reason and as such whatever I tried was a complete waste. However, I planned to post a serious note and got distracted by work.

I think bessie and boomfrog are town. Those are my main reads so far. But I'll have some opinion on everyone later today (or almost everyone, if carlington never posts).

dimochka wrote:
Aah this is great. I'm so glad we have so much content on D1, and all focusing on me! Gives me a lot to work with.

First, I'm town. And not exactly an exciting role. I don't plan to claim because I'd rather me lynched than someone else with a stronger role, unless my fellow townies agree with my reads that I'm posting next. Sidenote: What I did looks like a great play for a jester, I'll try it next time!

This half hearted jokey resignation just feels off. "Its cool guys just lynch me, I'm not even that great of a role, no wait haha maybe I'm jester ;) ;)" is just so uninspiring. Like why actively play this WIFOMy whimsicalness about your survival as town? It's meant to play to your doubts and insecurity re: D1 read weakness an associated risk aversion. It doesn't present any affirmative evidence of townieness, but just tries to play to your sympathies by virtue signalling though offering to be a sacrificial lamb and then joking about how that offering could be a bait. It's a bizarrely passive yet subtly manipulative defense.

And lastly to address this:

SDK wrote:
jimbobmacdoodle wrote:
I'd like to see the rest of FrozenFlame's reads. What he has posted look reasonable so far, although I find it interesting that he has obviously already categorised all the players into town/neutral/scum, before writing out his reads on each, implying he's already made decisions on people before analysing their content in depth ( F FrozenFlame , can you explain why you did it this way, please).

Nice catch, jimbob. I'm also interested in seeing an answer to this, FrozenFlame.

The answer is simply that I had already organized my thoughts generally into who I felt was town/townleaning/neutral/scumleaning/scum and started writing the post from the easiest to explain cases to the ones that needed more time for me to sort out. My town reads I thought had pretty simple reasons, so I wrote those first and started from there. I gradually worked down the list until I hit my lunch break. I didn't have time to finish the whole list and needed more time to really articulate my scum leaning reads. Gopher was a holdover because I was so unsure of how I felt and needed to reread some of his posts. Tried and still came up with nothing. So yeah, basically I needed more time to flesh out my feelings on LaserGuy v. Jimbob, and then lay out my scum lean cases for mpolo and dimochka.

I'll be paying close attention to the thread tomorrow morning so I can answer questions people have before deadline. Also hoping for a dimochka claim. Please forgive lack of organization and what I'm guessing will be copious typos as I was rushing to get this up before it got too late.

Speaking of Chaco, did anyone else notice that while Frozen has been spending a lot of time looking at Chaco's (and other dead townie's) past reads, he ignored Chaco's very last one:
If you [Sync] somehow flip town I definitely go for Boom Fonti area. Cause I stand that laser only makes sense as scum with you. I would just have to make him work with me somehow or we would be screwed
Anyone feel like taking a guess why Chaco was killed?

Finally, Frozen's interaction with BoomFrog's case struck me as very off. As I alluded to earlier today, one thing that I've noticed about Frozen is that he is very sensitive to player interactions and how they fit into the larger game state. Look back at D1 where Frozen was thinking about a very minute interaction between Kary/DH and whether it implied something about them being mafia. I have a really hard time believing that Frozen would not look at Boom's case and ask the same question that I did: Who are the buddies? How does this fit together? Frozen only looks at what BoomFrog is saying, he doesn't look at what is missing.

Anyway, I'm fine yeeting any of Boom/fonti/Frozen, but IMHO we should go for fonti/Boom first and Frozen afterward. Boom and fonti I have more confidence in their ability to wriggle their way out of a yeet if it comes down to it.

Wam

Smash Ace
Catching up. Anything I should know?
We have mass claimed. Claim list here still waiting for your slot.

All Claims so far:

Wam - Neighbourizer
Mala - Tough Bodyguard
Fonti - compulsive Plant
Pythag- bread maker
Sabrar - Tracker

Laserguy - VT
FF - VT
Boomfrog - VT
Kary - VT
Somi- VT
Synchon - VT
Chaco - VT

Heury - ???

Is 5 town power roles usual for 13 player games?
We have lynched vt twice and had a tracker and a vt nkd.

I dont have a vote today as I tested fonts power.

osieorb18

Smash Ace
We have mass claimed. Claim list here still waiting for your slot.

We have lynched vt twice and had a tracker and a vt nkd.

I dont have a vote today as I tested fonts power.
Ah. I am also Vanilla Town. 5 power roles in 13 players seems reasonable; I'm down to believe that the people who claimed power roles are at least all power roles, though 1-2 of them are probably scum, and there's probably a similar number in the VTs.

On a quick skim, I'm seeing a lot of consensus reads after a bunch of us have been eliminated. That's a little worrisome.

Frozen looks solid here. I'll catch up as much as I can in the morning and then try to get at least a rough PoE. Anything that people would like me to specifically look towards, I can do (given that 2300 posts is a lot to read).

Wam

Smash Ace
Ah. I am also Vanilla Town. 5 power roles in 13 players seems reasonable; I'm down to believe that the people who claimed power roles are at least all power roles, though 1-2 of them are probably scum, and there's probably a similar number in the VTs.

On a quick skim, I'm seeing a lot of consensus reads after a bunch of us have been eliminated. That's a little worrisome.

Frozen looks solid here. I'll catch up as much as I can in the morning and then try to get at least a rough PoE. Anything that people would like me to specifically look towards, I can do (given that 2300 posts is a lot to read).
I would suggest everything from booms 2083 as that in my opinion is going to drive today's lynch.

Top Bottom