• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things I Like - The Mafia Game - Game Over

Chaco

Never Logs In
No, man, you just say that about everyone and Syn.
Nope it was just you and Kary I said it too via interactions with them. I searched back to check, but we will see. I’m generally pretty decent at gauging interactions, more so than flat out scumreads, so I’m gonna stick with my gut on it.

Agreed with Fonti, (must... not.. like post...) this feels a lot like TvT. You are confirmation biasing.
I dont see how you gather TvT from it. At risk of getting meta attacked again, Xivii took it to spoilers with me to continue elaborating a point til we reached common ground. It’s much more dismissive here. It’s just not what I expect to see from them, and that’s continued to be the case.

Synchronicity Synchronicity Thats how meta is shaped though for a player, it’s not a one size fits all deal. Everyone’s experiences and what they see from a slot will be different from the next so I don’t understand how it’s insulting in the slightest. Not an IHOP fan though. We have Waffle House in the south.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Ill have more time later tonight but ive been trying to skim on my phone in the meantime to keep up, couple things:

Chaco now saying he "got town pings from me D1 but hasnt seen much of me today" feels heavy like he's setting up a pivot on me now that Im openly expressing concerns re: a chaco snow

#HBC | Kary #HBC | Kary why chaco so high on your town list?

Laser's "solve" is insanely abrubt but feels genuine at the same time. My big problem with the slot all game is that it feels like he pops in very infrequently and all of his posts feel very narrow in scope, I feel like I can find LGs takes on particular exchanges and a couple of slots, so his confidence on having a full solve is jarring to me because I havent seen any kind of big picture takes from the slot till now

I know a couple slots were keen to flashyeet laser D1 so need to look back for congruence on that
Nah it’s just reasoning why you’re no longer number one. Stop being scared I’m snowing you lol You just haven’t been as active toDay. Hard to pivot on a stated town read D1, and still at My number two slot here when I’ve outspokenly been an FF is town advocate all game.

Which furthers the town read though from D1 that the way you’re treating me is because you’re town here and my alignment is unknown to you. So there’s your ping again. Lol.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Chaco why do you think DHs slot is town, be as simple or detailed as you want
DHs interactions with Sabrar felt TvT to me and I’ve just resonated with stuff he said. He’s been universal this game so to speak. You could tell he was trying to solve the game, and there was no bias in where he looked or how he viewed the game. I guess his motive was just very easy to see from his posting and it was just obv town over time for me. His questions just seem legitimate and his views and progressions seem very natural.

Chaco

Never Logs In
#HBC | FrozeηFlame #HBC | FrozeηFlame How do you feel about the way that Synch has been responding? First in regards to their stance on me meta reading them, and second how they responded to Kary.

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Sabrar calls the vote on wam and a bunch of people jump to wam. Many of them are from the Frozen wagon. Big problem because both main wagons are now scum.
-fonti jumps on somi to get another wagon going before the choice is forced between wam/Chaco.
-fonti pressures people to vote somi
-Votes get reorganized to somi/wam. Scum is tapped out with all three of them on somi and get a bit of luck from Mala/Boom to make the save.
So what your saying is you agree that there was some weird crap going down at EoD yesterday that is hella sus and makes connections to people? Cool. What do you think of Synch? He jumped on with Fonti right after, after previously being suspicious of Wam.

The other two I can see , but Chaco has been pretty town to me this game. I know you have been on him the whole time, but that hasn't really been convincing to me honestly.

Malakandra

Smash Lord
So what do you think of Mala's memeing and such?
I tunnel for 2 days, cry that the person I want yeeted is just a wagon and not hammered, meme for most of the third day because my person has a wagon and I guess I just have to wait for EoD for people to finally yeet them, then the wagons suddenly change at EoD and I have to choose between two options I like less. Calling it now its gonna happen again.

Malakandra

Smash Lord
#HBC | Kary #HBC | Kary

I think you really need to get the idea that Mala is painfully new outside of your head. He's played a few games now, and he knows how to play scum.
The last part is far, but I'm still trying to figure out how to play town. Rn I'm just trying to play like what I was trying to fake playing like as scum but more sincerely, with a bit of asking myself what Xivii would say here and there and a maybe unhealthy proportion of gut reads and dumb stuff. I figure the best thing I can do is look as town as possible so scum have to kill me instead of someone who actually has a chance of solving the game. Not to say I think I'm wrong in my reads, I'm pretty damn convinced in them, but I also know its unlikely I am correct due to me not having the skill others do as town at the same time. Kind of a weird feeling.

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Nah it’s just reasoning why you’re no longer number one. Stop being scared I’m snowing you lol You just haven’t been as active toDay. Hard to pivot on a stated town read D1, and still at My number two slot here when I’ve outspokenly been an FF is town advocate all game.

Which furthers the town read though from D1 that the way you’re treating me is because you’re town here and my alignment is unknown to you. So there’s your ping again. Lol.
Chaco why do you straight up tell people things they do that make them appear towny to you and then proceed to give them more towny points when they d it again? Like ofc some stuff can't be faked, and I'm not trying to throw shade on FF and say they are doing this, but if you told scum!me that you were trusting me for my paranoia of you, I'd intentionally throw more paranoia bits later on whenever it worked. I'm just wondering if you think you can read through any attempt to fake it, or if you've got something else.

Reactions: Wam

Synchronicity

Smash Journeyman
The last part is far, but I'm still trying to figure out how to play town. Rn I'm just trying to play like what I was trying to fake playing like as scum but more sincerely, with a bit of asking myself what Xivii would say here and there and a maybe unhealthy proportion of gut reads and dumb stuff. I figure the best thing I can do is look as town as possible so scum have to kill me instead of someone who actually has a chance of solving the game. Not to say I think I'm wrong in my reads, I'm pretty damn convinced in them, but I also know its unlikely I am correct due to me not having the skill others do as town at the same time. Kind of a weird feeling.

HeuryAlone

Smash Cadet
Started reading first couple pages. Wow you guys post a lot. I originally started playing mafia on xkcd. I'll try to get some kind of post of basic reads before days end. Anything immediate I should know about?

giraffelasergun

Smash Lord
Vote Count 2.9

Synchronicity(3): Kary, Wam, Malakandra
Wam (2): Dark Horse, BoomFrog
Laserguy (1): Chaco
Fontisian (1): Laserguy
Chaco(1): Synchronicity

Not voting (2): Pythag, FrozenFlame, Fontisian
Day 2 Ends on Thursday the 17th at 5 PM CST. End of Day Countdown, Roughly 18.5 hours from this post. With 11 Alive, it takes 6 votes to eliminate

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Started reading first couple pages. Wow you guys post a lot. I originally started playing mafia on xkcd. I'll try to get some kind of post of basic reads before days end. Anything immediate I should know about?
Gorf switches into Fonti, and we are very grateful to have you!

Other than that I can't think of anything really pressing or important to know.

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Hurr durr ordered list of thing. You guys know who I'm down to yeet I don't need to label it.
HeuryAlone
Pythag

Boom

Chaco
Laser

Kary
FF

Fonti

Wam

Synchronicity

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Mainly not labeling because my maybe willing to yeet doesn't work when I'm tunneling and am only really down to yeet one, maybe 2 people.

BoomFrog

Smash Lord
Hey #HBC | Kary #HBC | Kary Can we talk about your reads? They are shallow. You have the three people who play with subtlety as your bottom three. You seem like you are not really trying to figure out people's motivations for their actions, just gut reading, "uncooperative" as scummy.
TOWN Mala, Chaco, Frozen, Dark Horse, Laser, Pythag, Wam, Boom, Fonti, Sync SCUM

fontisian

Smash Champion
So, if we yeet wam he either 1. flips mafia, and we use that to solve or 2. flips town, Mala is forced to reassess his Wam/Syn world and Laser is forced to reassess his Wam/me/Chaco world, and if they're scum it becomes a lot easier to yeet them, probably. That's not terrible, but not really ideal either.

fontisian

Smash Champion
Sabrar legacy:
I think Chaco's frustration with wam is genuine and tonally it is very townie. I understand people's grievances with him and I was unsure for a long time but recent developments tell me yeeting Chaco would be a bad idea.

fontisian

Smash Champion
I have about 30 minutes till I'm gone for the day. I know I'm an easy day 1 lynch so when I flip town have a look at those who should know better. Cough cough sabrar.

Any questions for me?
This is a pretty towny reaction to oncoming death.

fontisian

Smash Champion
Fontisian (Replacement for Gorf)

Kary
Chaco
Frozen Flame

HeuryAlone

Wam
Synchronicity (Xivii and Bessie Hydra)

Malakandra
Pythag

LaserGuy
BoomFrog

Words.

Kary, Chaco, Frozen is the core. Kary always town for her fights with Syn, her conviction against Chaco, her push on Boom, and her paranoia of me. Her reads feel like they suck, but **** it, town are allowed to have **** reads. Chaco bounces between reads fluidly, his read on Frozen is solid, he believes his Syn catch, but he was willing to swap onto Laser regardless. Frozen is falling off activity wise, but the way he went back to Sabrar's read to reinforce his read on me feels like someone who /wants/ to be right more anything, and that fits into the picture of his personality I got in Midnight. His relying on me could be throwing me off. I don't think it is. He's significantly more abrasive and loose compared to both Midnight and Vanilla.

Dark Horse was probably tilted by Gorf early, and that's why his vote was on me for such a long time. He swapped between pushing me and Frozen at eod, and again, while that sucks, it was also probably real. He seemed to focus more on whichever one of us was antagonizing him at the time, which indicates a reactive mindset rather than a manipulative one. He's probably just town.

Wam is probably a designated misyeet. His reaction to pressure feels town. He feels like he's trying to do his own thing. His approach to me Day 1 was weird, and seemed to depend on whether I was going to keep my vote on him or not. He said he gets stronger through the game, and that's something that has been somewhat borne out, with him feeling better Today compared to Yesterday. He can be held to that standard of continued improvement.

Mala feels town, on an emotional level. I see Chaco's argument for him simply being stuck in a loop. I feel like he's smarter than that, and like he has to be being deliberately obtuse here, but then he posts something like " Your not Xivii, stay away from me. You've twisted and corrupted him. You've even stolen Bessie's cute puppy dog!" and I'm like, this dude has to be town.

Pythag feels disconnected. I think he may have been disconnected in Sumting too. He feels chill whenever he's around. The clearing both Gorf and Dark Horse when they were fighting at the of the game felt kind of tmiy. I think I like this:
So it’s everyone else’s fault that they interpreted you wrong?

also all the people that said gorf was defensive, this is almost the exact same defense, so I really to see some consistency.
The expecting consistency from people is just a really weird thought process to have as scum? There's potential scum motivation, in wanting the people who were going after town!Gorf to also go after town!Chaco, but like, that's a thought you write in scum chat or wait to call people out on later, not like this. The fake that it ended up in thread is a sign that Pythag didn't have a scum chat to write it in.

Laser, Syn, Boomfrog are the mess. No more than two of them can be scum. Most of my positive feelings for Syn come down to feeling like we were on the same page with Somi (when we probably weren't) and Chaco, and the feeling that Laser and Boom are being manipulative around /them/. But if Laser's town, then Boom/Syn with Boom just trying to cause chaos and allow wagons to flourish elsewhere is possible. I can think of reasons to clear all of them (Laser believes in his pushes enough to sacrifice himself. Syn refuses to back down in the fight with Kary now because they feel they're right, and they asked about me/Frozen being mason because they're paranoid ****s.) Actually, that's a solid point for Syn, Bessie and Xivii were overly worried about town prs in Sumting, but they never would have discussed their suspicion in the thread like that. Like, either it was a ploy to get me specifically to townread them, or they're just town. Yeah, I'm moving Syn up.

Uh, reasons to clear Boomfrog. Boomfrog just feels kind of genuine sometimes? Like, when he said he was going to give me space to figure him out. And I think the sliminess I perceive behind his posts is what I always feel from him. He just kind of ended up at the bottom /again/ because I have no reason to townread him, and because he keeps doing things to make himself look aligned with Syn. I don't know, this just feels ****ty.

fontisian

Smash Champion
#HBC | FrozeηFlame #HBC | FrozeηFlame
I think this full exchange with Frozen looks pretty good for Syn. It feels very, humm, fair? in how they approached him, and Frozen seemed to agree with that at the time since this is what broke him out of his Chaco tunnel. It doesn't feel like a gotcha thing, but it does shed some light on the origins of Syn's Frozen tunnel. I threw in the question to Pythag as well, because it's close chronologically and has the same feel of this head of hydra trying to dig deeper into a mindset. I strongly recommend going back and reading the whole thing for yourselves.
This and the previous post are the extend of the defense I'm going to give Syn. I think they've been very strange for most of the game. The people they've chosen to go after and the reasons for it have been weird. The fight with Kary now is weird. The way they defend themselves by just getting deeper and deeper in semantics is really weird and kind of indefensible. Them saying to leave Boom for another Day is weird. Them using Sabrar's death to push Boom for not bringing up that Bessie wouldn't like doing that but then not saying that's a reason to townread them is weird, but maybe in a town way, because they really need all the help and wifom they can get now.

Top Bottom