• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Things about PM you love/hate the most?

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
Love:
-Every character has some attribute that makes them unique and good in different ways
-Wario has actual moves from his games instead of random things Sakurai found funny
-Variety of stages
-Aerial Glide Toss
-Characters who were worthless in Melee and Brawl have been given hope
-Not as many one-sided matchups as there were in Melee or Brawl

Hate:
-Some nerfs were arguably premature
-Blunders such as 2.1 Ike/Lucario, 2.5 Sonic/Diddy, and 2.6 Ivysaur
-Recoveries in general are arguably too good

DanlulZ

Smash Cadet
Love:
-Everyone has amazing tricks that are fun to explore
- I enjoyed DrMario and I find the new mario to be quite good
-The stages themselves have nice revamps and overall better graphics to support their play

Hate:
-Everyone who has a tether is damn near impossible to kill unless the hit is a garenteed killing blow
-That Fox/Falco are still overplayed

RascalTheCharizard

Smash Ace
Love:
-Fast paced gameplay (sometimes Brawl matches could really drag and/or turn into camp-fests)
-All characters are at least viable
-Biggest roster of any Smash
-Wolf's alt costume (Come on, how can you not love it?)
-The white flash when you successfully L-Cancel

Hate:
-Firewolf got nerfed. Although it was arguably nerfed too hard, what matters is that it was nerfed in the first place. If you're gonna nerf Wolf, the other two Starfox characters need some nerf magic too. Which brings me to the next one:
-Any character that is even close to being as good as the Melee top tiers gets nerfed in the following update (sorry, Pit. it just has to be)
-Eh, I guess pretty much anything I hate relates to nerfing the newcomers and leaving Melee's best characters alone so they can still sit on their thrones

Last edited:

Shiny_Rayquaza

Smash Rookie
Love:
-Samus's beam swap
-All of Link's changes

Hate:
-Fighting against Link's changes
-Some recoveries are absolutely insane

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
Love:
- More characters than Melee and Brawl
- A wider variety of playstyles
- General balance of all characters (and I hope for more)
- Good little features (Xing certain stages on the front page)
- Competitive stage variety
- A much larger list of match ups
- Easier accessibility but still requires skill
- The fact that they didn't "Melee"fy everything, kept some of Brawl's good features, and create new things themselves (seriously, I would have been pissed if they took Ganon's choke).

Hate:
- A lot of the stages were unnecessarily sterilized
- Some unique moves were dropped, rather than being worked with (Ex: Wario's bike, though idk the context of why they replaced it or if they tried to work with it)
- Dr. Mario's pills beat fire pikmin, making him a better character than Mario via a simple costume change (FIX THIS!)
- The non-use of the top row stages (what's the point?)
- The introduction of nostalgia stages w/o hazards (It honestly makes me prefer the Brawl counterparts in that regard. I know I'm in the minority).
- No vanilla :warioware:. I want both the competitive version and banned version, dammit!
- I still can't play as Tom Nook
- The conspiracy... TIN FOIL HAT TIME!

Last edited:

PhantasyStar

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dyebre
3DS FC
1521-4107-6959
I can use Zelda in tournament without fear of losing due to the character being lackluster. The stages are great in addition to teams play feels a lot more fun in Project M than in Melee with all the viable characters and stages.

OmegaObi-wan144

Banned via Warnings
I like a lot about the game, such as
- more content
-more balanced
- melee skins on the ugly brawl models
- fox and falco are relatively untouched
- strong bad

My biggest gripes on the other hand are
- no bomberman (though isaac would prob be a better choice)
- no black skin for oot link
- no oot skin for ganondorf
- fire and rock transformations on ps1 could be changed to something fun and cool to play on, the house on fire and the right side of rock are pretty sweet, just make the boulder and tree intangible like the windmill or make them into something that doesnt encourage camping
-people still complain about fox and falco
-my favorite properties from doc have been scrapped and hes now only an alt costume

Saito

Pranked!
NNID
Vairrick
3DS FC
1719-3875-9482
Everything I don't hate I like so let's just discuss what I hate.

>Stages
Just my god.

It's hard to describe but it feels like there isn't much variety.

>Zelda
Naryu's Love.

....I think that's it.

JediLink

Smash Ace
Love:
  • Everything has returned to its Melee glory, and more!
  • Sheik's Uair and Math's Dair are their NTSC versions instead of the nerfed PAL versions.
  • The AI is awesome.
  • So many great stages from all three games.
  • Great balancing.
Hate:
  • L-cancelling is still a thing when it should have never been a thing in the first place. (Although I have an auto-L-cancel code so it doesn't matter)
  • No Pokefloats!

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
Like: Giga Bowser playable, the alternate costumes, Mario being an amalgation of all versions

Hate:Wario losing bike, ZSS losing armor parts, Sheik losing tether, the Trainer going the way of the dodo,Marth getting his old Shield breaker(sue me).

Dillo64

Smash Apprentice
Like:
-Using Mewtwo to beat up Fox
-The balance, and how basically all the characters get played in tournaments, so theres less Fox
-All the homages and easter eggs to Nintendo games, the costumes, and just everything else really

Dislike:
-Too many Brawl stages replaced, would like an option to switch between tourney/non-tourney stages
-SSE doesn't work (at least not for me...?)
-Fox

Last edited:

TreK

Is "that guy"
Like :
-the whole roster being viable, and balance patches
-more legal stages than in all official games combined
-the stage striking and crew battle functions
-brawl+melee ATs
-turbo mode goodness
-easter eggs everywhere

Dislike :
-no pal version
-still has chaingrabs and autocombos, be consistent please (ICs don't count)
-crouch cancelling (my hatred of it carried over from melee, no hard feelings)
-3.0 ivysaur (hard feelings)
-no custom stages (rip)
-no replays in offline version

Last edited:

Peño

Smash Rookie
like:
-Every character seems viable enough to play in Tourneys if you try hard
-they gave nice buffs to yoshi and bowser who I love playing
-Dracula's Castle is dope
-Sonic's stage isn't terrible anymore
-Snake can style so hard

not-so-like:
-Whenever I play melee I have to get used to my favorite characters being worse
-fox and falco still sit on their T1 thrones

Kankato

Smash Journeyman
Love
-Character balance in a Smash game has never been better.
-PMBR's level of professionalism is astounding.
-Balance adjustments are possible.
-You Guys (call me chessy, but this is far and away the friendliest gaming community I've ever joined. Never has a lowly scrub felt so welcome.)

Hate:
-Recoveries are too good.
-No one wants their character's recovery nerfed.
-The amount of people dropping the game because their character was nerfed is too high. It saddens me that kirk and wizzy quit altogether because of this, but I understand their decision.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Love:
-Tiers are basically worthless now
-Awesome new stages or fixed versions of stages.
-Every character is viable.
-Awesome new approaches to characters new and old.
-The fact that 2 new characters were added, with the possibility of up to 5 characters potentially coming at a later date.
-All the awesome new colors and alternate costumes (PIRATE PIKACHU!!!).
-The gameplay is Melee's gameplay.
-All the new taunts and miscellaneous stuff.
-Balancing patches/re-releases are possible.
-Online freaking updates/patches that Nintendo didn't have the balls to do with Brawl.
-The fact that the load times are reduced.
-The Mewtwo, Roy, and Project M 3.0 official trailers and their music.
-TURBO FREAKING MODE!!!
-It's easy to add stuff to a Project M file).
-Holding "R" down when choosing Bowser until the stage loads (GIGA BOWSER!!!).
-Somehow the PMBR make a terrible competitive game that is not enjoyable at all IMO, that IMO is easily the Devil May Cry 2 of the Smash series, and that just has so many issues into such a spectacular mod that is truly one of the best mods ever made. Like Counter-Strike, Team Fortress, Dota, Skyrim mod level of greatness. I seriously freaking mean that. Nintendo should hire all of you before Capcom, Namco Bandai, etc. do, and feed you moneys.
-Ike's blue fire.
-Roy has more fire.

Hate:
-Roy doesn't have enough fire, in that he hasn't become the Human Torch yet.
-Too many good recoveries (yet Ness still exists)
-Crouch cancelling is way too good. I've seen several characters use it effectively in the 100 percentiles.
-Custom stages are gone (for at least the non-mod version)
-No (default) stage or music expander in the non-mod version (probably is gonna happen)
-Delfino Plaza (my 3rd favorite stage ever) still has that Shine Gate glitch
-Still haven't added Peach's Castle 64 yet (it could replace so many bad stages; it's my 4th favorite smash stage ever)
-PictoChat hasn't been replaced or had all of the stage interferences removed
-Mewtwo2000 hasn't gone from "legend mode" to "God mode"... until he finishes his Mute City (Melee) recreation mod, which will make him THE GREATEST HUMAN TO HAVE EVER EXISTED!!!
-SSE is still funky and thus was removed (will be changed in the future... thanks for trying guys!) :)
-Having to pick just one character to play at a time.
-Having to pick just one stage to play at the time.
-Tires Don Exits... almost for reals!!!! :psycho:
-The fact you guys don't plan to make your own Skullgirls-esk solo title yet. Seriously, it would be awesome!!! It could be like Melee, but with with original characters and properties and like a MvC mode! :grin:

nessmaster1

Smash Cadet
Love: The whole idea of P:M
-Gameplay
-Turbo

Hate: Ko's below 80% (Fox, Falco)
-Fox, Falco.

Celestis

Smash Ace
Love-
-Falco is back.
-Lucas is amazing.
-Roy is Amazing.
-It brings Melee and brawl players together.
-Alt Costums.
-The level of attention to fan service that trumps even Nintendo.
-Tournaments are so much more interesting to watch with all the viable characters. Not just Fox and Marth everywhere.

Hate
-Brawl Falco style was never given a chance in PM.(Really want to know what that would have been like)
-The haters.
-Some recoveries are just dumb. Looking at you, R.O.B.
-The hate on Fox and Falco. They are so not OP.
-Lack of custom stages.
-Sonic having a Spike.
- Yoshi losing his second jump after a Forward B. (Sort of.)
-Can't decide if tether grabs are to powerful.
-

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Love:
Hate:
-No (default) stage or music expander in the non-mod version (probably is gonna happen)
-Delfino Plaza (my 3rd favorite stage ever) still has that Shine Gate glitch
-PictoChat hasn't been replaced or had all of the stage interferences removed
-Having to pick just one character to play at a time.
-The fact you guys don't plan to make your own Skullgirls-esk solo title yet. Seriously, it would be awesome!!! It could be like Melee, but with with original characters and properties and like a MvC mode! :grin:
Same for all likes, especially the last one.
To elaborate on my sameness with these dislikes...
- The expansions are fortunately easy to work with, and given the way PM is for various communities, the direction it has gone is proper, and this 'dislike' is more of a...
"It would be really cool if this happened, because I know it's possible and would be awesome, but at the same time... I'd rather it not happen for basically the same reasons... and a lot of people would just change stuff anyway, because developing anything in BrawlBox is pretty infinite, and pretty easy to translate to PM, making it infinite too."
- Delfino and Picto would be sweet if made functional for competition, but... see above reasoning. At the same time, they would be great as a wide-spread standard.
- ROYAL RUMBLE TAG TEAM MODE PLEASE HASHTAGSTILLTHEDREAM2014
- It will come.

PS: Are you the Johnknight1 I remember... being from P2W from early-Brawl days?

Last edited:

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Love: The whole idea of P:M
-Gameplay
-Turbo

Hate: Ko's below 80% (Fox, Falco)
-Fox, Falco.
I think this about sums it up for me. After awhile I've adapted to everything else I should hate. The recoveries...etc.

In the end...it doesn't make sense for characters like Fox/Falco to be easier to play in this game. If anything...shouldn't it be slightly harder to play them?

lordvaati

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-4918-2392-4599
The fact you guys don't plan to make your own Skullgirls-esk solo title yet. Seriously, it would be awesome!!! It could be like Melee, but with with original characters and properties and like a MvC mode! :grin:
They are, it's called Air Dash Online. They are hurting a bit after the cancelled Kickstarter, so they may need more support.(look it up.)

Shadic

Alakadoof?
NNID
Shadoof
They are, it's called Air Dash Online. They are hurting a bit after the cancelled Kickstarter, so they may need more support.(look it up.)
Air Dash Online is not associated with Project M or any of its developers.

Renji64

Smash Lord
I like mostly everything
things i hate really the menu, win menu and sound effects and the textures i think P:M should have custom textures to look less like brawl.

The_Altrox

Smash Lord
NNID
The_Altrox
They already have custom textures as options. Other than that, why fix what ain't broken? The Brawl textures look great. IN fact, looking back at Melee, one thing I hated was alternate colors for most characters because a lot of them looked really cheap. Not so much here.

210stuna

Smash Lord
Love: Fox and Falco being pretty close to their Melee self, minus the minor changes.

Hate: Fox and Falco being pretty close to their Melee self, minus the minor changes.

It's a love/hate sort of relationship.

Celestis

Smash Ace
I like mostly everything
things i hate really the menu, win menu and sound effects and the textures i think P:M should have custom textures to look less like brawl.
Though I have no problem wit\h the menu as is. I do like this idea.

Daakun

Smash Apprentice
- Love
- - Most of it, I guess.

- Hate
- - L-canceling. It's just... bad. Bad in every way. The only reason for it to exist is "but Melee had it", and even in Melee it added nothing to the game but obnoxious L mashing.
- - The abomination of a moveset Lucario received.
- - Instead of just adding 'balanced' stages to the game, they remove quirky stages. We haven't needed to remove stages to add new ones in years.
- - A few silly cosmetic changes that really harmed nothing as they were before, like Peach losing her heartsplosion up tilt and side special.
- - Falco returning to a Fox clone instead of just letting him do his own thing.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
My only gripe with Project M is the stage choice and as a previous user put it: variety.

Now I understand the Project M is geared towards a more competitive fanbase but when having vanilla Project M, I can't help but sort of miss some of the vBrawl stages that made Smash Bros. the multi-player, get your bros. together for some crazy hi-jinks party game. While some of vBrawl's stages aren't the best competitively, some of them have unique quirks and amazing atmospheres that are often overlooked due to competitive-worth and interfering with matches. To be honest, a lot of vBrawl stages pay an incredible amount of attention and respect to their source material, something that Melee and 64 stages can only dream of.

With the N64 stages that were placed over "un-playable" Brawl stages, I felt a lot of them lost their quirks and unique charms that made fun to play on. Though Hyrule Castle still reigns supreme for casual 4-player FFA matches due to its design, I felt the same can't be said for Saffron City and Kongo Jungle, which I felt become bland, neutered husks of the fun and unique stages that they once were. I'm baffled that some stages like Summit and Big Blue get a pass where other stages such as Spear Pillar and Luigi's Mansion get axed altogether.

Now I'll admit this next part is nitpicking, but why are there so many castle stages? We have Castle Siege, Dracula's Castle, Peach's Castle, Hyrule Castle, and arguably Temple. Now don't get me wrong, the Dracula's Castle stage is amazing both gameplay-wise and visually but why is it in the game, there's no Castlevania representation and material in the base game that Project M is built on so why add it? Based on that logic, it's like we can have a stage from the Super Monkey Ball series or Banjo Kazooie, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you get the idea.

Though a lot of the stages are near exact replicas or original in their own way, I have some issues with Skyloft and the Training Room. With Skyloft, I felt the stage is unoriginal and dare I say half-assed, as it takes assets from Temple slaps a new coat of paint on it and puts the beautiful Skyloft scenery behind it and goes, "BAM! New stage!" The Training Room on the other hand is a great addition both visually and conceptually, especially when compared to its Brawl counterpart though my issue with it is originality: as it tries to apply something from traditional fighters such as Street Fighter into Smash Bros. series; I feel as if its inclusion undermines what Smash founded itself: a unique fighter that set itself apart from traditional fighters by providing controls that are user-friendly to both newcomers and veterans. With the advent of this new Training Room, I feel as if Project M is trying to be like more traditional fighters rather than focusing on the points that made it unique.

That said, I will do my best and explain the merit behind some of the axed (or altered) stages.
- Luigi's Mansion: Luigi's always had the short end of the stick, since his installment he's always been second to Mario, even his year didn't go too well with the "alright" installments of Dark Moon, Dream Team, and New Super Luigi U. But having his own launch title game for the GameCube gave our lime hero a glimmer of hope with Luigi's Mansion and the Brawl team took note of it, christening the stage selection with Luigi's very own home stage: Luigi's Mansion! (Sorry Bowser, you'll have to wait). But Project M adopts the ideology of Luigi being a second-rate character and cut his very own home stage for... Dracula's Castle...? What does Castlevania have to do with Smash Bros.? Why does Luigi lose what very little he has? It's just unfortunate for our green-weathered friend for he will always be in Mario's shadow... though I do understand that the detructible pillars of the original stage can easily be exploited by Ivysaur, but it's still sad for Luigi to lose his stage for one that has nothing to do with Smash Bros.

- :spearpillar:: Though you may cringe with disgust as to why I would defend this stage, Spear Pillar was unique as it is an original stage that wasn't in an urban environment and designed heavily around the main Pokemon games D / P, with a top half based on Spear Pillar itself and a bottom half paying homage to the cavern portions of Mt. Coronet. When describing this stage, the word I would use is: mystical, with its starry yet misty background, hieroglyphics that found the ever-so stressed Sinnoh mythology, and most importantly, the omni-present legendary Pokemon, arriving onto the battlefield in a cloud of smoke, with ominous, gleaming red eyes peering at you while you hear its stomps as it marches onto its platform, observing your fight apathetic to your cause - that was when you knew was out of your control. Though the time-slowing, float-inducing, topsy-turvy Hyper Beam happy hazards this stage presented turned many off, Spear Pillar stands out from other Pokemon stages for its unique atmosphere and its absence in Project M is one I truly miss.

- :castlesiege:: Brawl and Project M finally gave the Fire Emblem reps: Marth, Ike, and to a lesser extent, Roy their very own home stage! The Project M version differs slightly from its Brawl counterpart as it skips the second portion: the castle interior. Though this is a minor nitpick, I miss the second portion as it captures the atmosphere of the Fire Emblem games, which are everso changing as you progress through the game's chapters and the whole stage's concept is a testament to that. It would be nice to revisit it by modifying the statues, though I can live without it.

- :warioware:: The WarioWare games were founded on by the concept of microgames - short second games that were simply fun and the WarioWare stage brought that concept with it in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. The stage's design is solid though these microgames were a glaring point quickly addressed by the Project M team. It's understandable that this is a solid competitive stage and I'll cut my losses on this one though.

- :75M:: The Smash Bros. games weren't just a party game, they're games that pay tribute to the history of Nintendo and 75m is a perfect example of this idea. vBrawl gave Smash players a chance to revisit the classic level 75m in a perfect replica, even with Donkey Kong in the background and classic SFX, though it wasn't the perfect transition especially when it comes to Smash Bros.'s style of gameplay as the stage is a complete mess of platforms and hazards so it's no surprise this stage got cut for the Smash 64 hit Kongo Jungle. Though Kongo Jungle bears nostalgic value for players who have been with Smash since its beginning, I would like to argue that a Donkey Kong-based stage has more nostalgic value as a Nintendo fan, reminding us how far Nintendo has gotten since the good ol' days of going to the arcade, pushing pocket change into the arcade cabinet and traversing infrastructures as Mario to save Pauline from the clutches of Donkey... errr... Cranky Kong? Good thing there's always 1337m to fall upon.

So there's my thoughts on what I believe is some of Project M's weak points. Still a great game that's helped me get back into Smash by offering a great and balanced roster that's actually fun to play so regardless of your taste in stages, Project M is a good candidate for gaming with friends, whether you hail from a more casual base or competitive-base.

Keep up the good work PMBR and thank you for offering the GOAT rendition of this stage: :ps2:.

OrangeSodaGuy

Smash Journeyman
> dat balance: Link, Ness, Kirby, Mewtwo, Zelda, Game and Watch and Bowser are actually legit characters now, and Mario's better than ever!
> Mewtwo and Roy are BACK.
> The return of classic stages like Peach's Castle, Fourside, Kirby's Dreamland, Saffron City, Hyrule Castle, and many others. (It would be nice to see Mute City and Poke Floats return, as well as an actually playable rendition of New Pork City though)
> Final Destination was reverted to the GOAT melee version, and not Brawl's, with the annoying ledges. :mad:
> The return of advanced techniques from Melee, and even new moves from Brawl! Also, how certain characters kept attributes from Brawl that actually help their game (Ganon's flame choke, for example).
> The innovative touches they've put into each character. Whether it's Zard's air-based playstyle, Lucario's OHC system, Wario's old moves returning, or Samus' beam swaps, the team has always gone above and beyond in terms of representing every character accurately while keeping them viable. Ness even has a snapshot taunt, based on the Camera Man from Earthbound!

Dislikes:
> No Melee tethers... :c (To be fair, Lucas, Samus and the Links are the only characters who would really need them. The characters with Up-B tethers are fine as they are.)
> :pichumelee: needs to be brought back. The game could really use an 'underdog' character, not to mention that it's the only veteran who's not in, and that it brings a unique niche to the table with it's self-damage mechanic. It could make for a very interesting risk/reward glass cannon type of character, and is by far the safest choice in terms of building a new character. Everybody's so good now. There needs to be a 'humiliation' character that players can disrespect with and make people extra salty :shaker:
> Character-specific target tests need to make a comeback! Those were great.
> We're still missing a few classic stages... (Mushroom Kingdom 1 and 2, Mute City, Termina, Brinstar Depths, Poke Floats being the biggest offenders)
> There needs to be a Bowser's castle stage. Long overdue for the Smash series in general.
> Some of the items are still missing as well. I miss parasols and red shells the most, personally It would also be neat if some of the better pokemon from previous games (since Brawl's pokemon weren't that great) were to appear in poke balls.

Last edited:

MoonlapseOpethian

Smash Journeyman
Love:

• Brawl cast + Melee speed, gameplay mechanics.
  • Roy and Mewtwo are back, with abit of a redesign.
  • Majority of characters are tourney viable. Honestly, when was the last time you saw a non PM tourney where people actually whooped ass with ROB, Lucas, or Roy? I don't get how Melee with it's only top 8 or so characters being viable system is more appealing. Brawl is just as bad.
  • For the first time, I can play basically play Melee (only better) online.
  • Epic costumes.
  • Convinced me to create a group dedicated to the game. Too many groups exist of the other three games. PM is by far the least represented in that aspect.

Hate:

• My punk a** can't get used to the hitstun and comboing system. That's what I get for years of Brawl.
  • Only a handful of smashers play this game, making finding people to play significantly harder than Brawl.
  • No Basic Brawl version of PM (Yeah, I know, I'm pathetic.)
  • The PMBR apparently has no desire to create a tier list, despite the inevitability/demand for one. I'll admit that it's alittle too soon though.
  • No Melee Adventure Mode. I don't see any technical limitations on that one.
  • Missing the individual Target Tests. I'd also like to see new ones for the Brawl cast.
  • Long story short, a good portion of my "hate" just stems from things I find missing

Daftatt

"float like a puffball, sting like a knee"
NNID
Daftatt
Love:
-Everyone has amazing tricks that are fun to explore
- I enjoyed DrMario and I find the new mario to be quite good
-The stages themselves have nice revamps and overall better graphics to support their play

Hate:
-Everyone who has a tether is damn near impossible to kill unless the hit is a garenteed killing blow
-That Fox/Falco are still overplayed
Tether characters are a lot easier to kill than you think. They don't get invincibility until they hit the edge, making their reel in vulnerable, it's very predictable as well.

Top Bottom