• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

There will probably be more than 3 Third Parties

serosfan

Smash Apprentice
My guess would be 2 more - one from Square Enix and one from Capcom. People really have to stop turning Mr Sakurai's innocent thoughts into word of God.
Fine guess. I would say a Namco character too. And yes, Sakurai could joke about trying to get Master Cheif in the game, and a LOT of people would take it seriously.

I think Namco could offer a much better playable character than Pacman, thus, Pacman could be a good AT.

I don't know anything Hudson Soft made other than Bomberman but I do not think he would make much of a playable character. I gave said AT over nothing basically, that was if he got in at all, which I do doubt strongly.

I think the other two were self explanatory enough.
Yes, there are better characters Namco could offer, but unfortunatly Pacman is more likely because he is an icon. Ask a 50 year old woman who they have heard of... Pacman or Yoshimitsu, she will say Pacman, if either.

I totally agree serosfan. There will be a lot more 3rd party chars. Maybe 4-6 I suspect. They can't just give us Sonic without his pals right? But I don't think there will be anymore reps from Snake series though.
Thanks for agreeing. :)

Sonic pals playable? I doubt it. However, I am almost fully sure they will have Tails and Knuckles ATs.

I'm not a fan of Third party characters.
Thats quite alright. It is your opinion, but they are in the game. Had Snake never been announced, I doubt any of us would be having this discussion right now.

Eternal Neo

Smash Apprentice
Ok I'm pretty new to these boards, but how can anyone actually think that a character like Pac-man or bomberman would be an assist trophy. I can't imagine Sakurai going up to Namco and saying "ok we want pac-man, the father of video games and one of the most well known icons in gaming to appear in the game with mario and sonic...but we don't actually want him playable, we just want to use him as an item with such famous characters such as Samurai Goroh, the devil and Mr. Resetti. Do we have a deal?" It just wont happen.

Also I do think that there will be more third party characters because I see megaman and pac-man both making it pretty easily.

EpicE

Smash Journeyman
Thats quite alright. It is your opinion, but they are in the game. Had Snake never been announced, I doubt any of us would be having this discussion right now.
True true but I am not so close minded where I wont give them a chance antry and enjoy them lol, who knows.

RDK

Smash Hero
I wouldn't mind if Bomberman makes it before Megaman, but Megaman is far more versatile than Bomberman.
How so? We can't really guess with any certainty exactly what Sakurai will do.

And just for the record, Geno IS 3rd party. He's owned by Square Enix.

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
Megaman OK, he was in marvel vs. capcom 2 so it wouldnt be that special, it would however be cool to see him as a smash brother.... Beyond that I dont really want any other third parties, cuz its gonna get stupid with bomberman pacman rayman .........

Theres enough first party characters left to take up the rest of the spots

RDK

Smash Hero
Geno cannot be used by Square outside a Mario context, that's why he is not third party and Megaman is more versatile than Bomberman because even if Sakurai can do a unique moveset for Bomberman is highly unlikely one of those moves won't include bombs.
Ummmm.....just because Square can't use Geno outside a Mario context doesn't negate the fact that they own him. And where did you ever get the idea that they can't use him outside a Mario game anyway?

And I don't see your point about it being very likely that Bomberman's movesets will include bombs. That's just common sense.

And what does versatility / ease have to do with character inclusions? Nothing.

cuz its gonna get stupid with bomberman pacman rayman .........
Bomberman is perfectly feasible, and has a good chance. Rayman and Pacman are stupid ideas.

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Ok I'm pretty new to these boards, but how can anyone actually think that a character like Pac-man or bomberman would be an assist trophy. I can't imagine Sakurai going up to Namco and saying "ok we want pac-man, the father of video games and one of the most well known icons in gaming to appear in the game with mario and sonic...but we don't actually want him playable, we just want to use him as an item with such famous characters such as Samurai Goroh, the devil and Mr. Resetti. Do we have a deal?" It just wont happen.

Also I do think that there will be more third party characters because I see megaman and pac-man both making it pretty easily.
The issue is not that Pacman is not a huge gaming icon, it's that he lacks the potential for a completely original, yet still good, moveset.

Rolling/spinning? That is pretty much owned by Sonic.
Punches and kicks from him are not going to be very unique since they will put him very "out of character." Sure, they somewhat fit his game that was on the GCN, but when you think of Pacman, you think of "wakka wakka wakka" and a little yellow pie with a piece missing eating some little dots.

Sure, Pacman as a gaming icon is great. But not so much as a playable character. That is why I say Namco certainly has better characters to bring to the table, with potential movesets that would be more fun to play as, and still be "in character."

Arteen

Smash Lord
Seriously guys. I do not possibly understand why you hold on to that year-and-a-half old statement of 2-3 more.
Is there any proof that the situation has fundamentally changed since that statement? He showed us Snake and said we may have 1 or 2 more. As of now, we have one more. That statement is still accurate. In light of what facts is the statement invalid?

Want more proof that things change?

- Reggie once said we will play Brawl on December 3rd, 2007.... oh wait. Oops, changed.
A game could be delayed for many reasons, such as finishing it. They didn't delay Twilight Princess just so they could add a Megaman cameo, did they? This statement doesn't lend any significant support to your claims.

- Countless interviews of "Sonic not on the cards at the moment."
I don't recall any statements quite like that. In regard to interviews with the Mario/Sonic Olympics game, the representatives just said that they didn't have any information on the matter. Besides, I don't see how this statement supports your argument anyway.

Say its impossible? I have things to counter that.

- Create a Stage would be too difficult and complex to do.
- No Pokemon trainer will ever be in the game.
I have no idea how those statements are relevant to the issue of third-party characters.

vesperview

Smash Hero
Ummmm.....just because Square can't use Geno outside a Mario context doesn't negate the fact that they own him. And where did you ever get the idea that they can't use him outside a Mario game anyway?
What makes you get the idea that they can since they never have and he only appears in Mario games?

And I don't see your point about it being very likely that Bomberman's movesets will include bombs. That's just common sense.

When did I say it had to do something with his inclusion?

RDK

Smash Hero
What makes you get the idea that they can since they never have and he only appears in Mario games?
Maybe because....IDK....they own the rights to the character, and Nintendo doesn't? Wow, what a concept.

Just because he only appears in Mario games does not make him anything but 3rd party.

When did I say it had to do something with his inclusion?
I guess you didn't then, but if that's the case, I don't see the point of bringing it up.

serosfan

Smash Apprentice

Bomberman is perfectly feasible, and has a good chance. Rayman and Pacman are stupid ideas.
Well, actually, Geno is co-owned by Nintendo and Square-Enix if you want to get technical. Nintendo is one of those companies that wants everything created in their universes, which is why they own Diddy and Krystal.

Square cannot use the character OUTSIDE Nintendo games because they are simply not allowed to. Nintendo does have a co-owned IP for Geno with Square-Enix, allowing them to use him without consent from Square Enix. It is a simmilar situation with Stafy and TOSE. Nintendo and TOSE own Stafy, and both can use him, but Nintendo can use him in anything. For example, TOSE cannot use Stafy on the PS2, but Nintendo can place him in Brawl.

vesperview

Smash Hero
Maybe because....IDK....they own the rights to the character, and Nintendo doesn't? Wow, what a concept.

Just because he only appears in Mario games does not make him anything but 3rd party.
Well, actually, Geno is co-owned by Nintendo and Square-Enix if you want to get technical. Nintendo is one of those companies that wants everything created in their universes, which is why they own Diddy and Krystal.

Square cannot use the character OUTSIDE Nintendo games because they are simply not allowed to. Nintendo does have a co-owned IP for Geno with Square-Enix, allowing them to use him without consent from Square Enix. It is a simmilar situation with Stafy and TOSE. Nintendo and TOSE own Stafy, and both can use him, but Nintendo can use him in anything. For example, TOSE cannot use Stafy on the PS2, but Nintendo can place him in Brawl.
What he said.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
I'm not going to read all the responses, but I tend to agree with the OP. The actual quote was more like "1-2 more characters, maybe?" but still, I went out of my way in my translations to point out that he said maybe. It was a ballpark estimation, nothing more.

RDK

Smash Hero
Good points, but I'd actually like to see a source for it before I go believing it.

And why would anyone want Stafy in Brawl? Ugh. That's worse than Pacman.

NukeA6

Smash Master
I rather not have any more than 3 Third Party characters. Don't want things to get overboard.

But if they need to put a fourth, please let it be Simon Belmont or a Final Fantasy character from 1, 4, or 6.

Red&Silver

Smash Journeyman
if geno is 3rd party and wastes a slot that would suck so much same goes for pac man and WW link DOWN WITH ALL 3 OF THEM!!!!
(bomberman sucks megaman can so kick his ****)

RDK

Smash Hero
But if they need to put a fourth, please let it be Simon Belmont or a Final Fantasy character from 1, 4, or 6.
Simone Belmont? Ugh. And if they're going to put in a FF character, it has to be Cloud.

tennisthehilife

Smash Lord
Agreed, I loved classic arcade Pacman. The new 3D Pacman games suk and I cringe at the idea of Pacman as a PC. AT would be hysterical, PC would make me sad.

Go Megaman, Geno, + Bomberman! (points to sig)

I know Bomberman doesn't seem to have much variety in his attacks (all bombs) but I believe he can be a good character and Smash can do it. I remember always playing 4 player Bomberman 64, good times, always hysterical. My favorite thing was pumping up giant bombs and throwing it on top of ppl's heads to make them dizzy then throw them off the stage. (<--- Hey, see! hes SSBB material) Look at the official Bomberman thread if you disagree w/ him in Brawl.

TheLeperKhan

Smash Cadet
This is coming from an Ashley supporter.
Ashley's from Wario Ware. Last I checked Nintendo owns Wario and company.

But seriously, if you want a be all end all crossover fighting game, go play MUGEN. Then you can put in whatever the hell you want.

Smash will be for Nintendo. IF they add another third party character, that'll be it. Just because we have two third parties confirmed doesn't mean Nintendo has be sending reps all over the world to different companies to negotiate their bread and butter mascots into the game.

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
I'm not going to read all the responses, but I tend to agree with the OP. The actual quote was more like "1-2 more characters, maybe?" but still, I went out of my way in my translations to point out that he said maybe. It was a ballpark estimation, nothing more.
Just quoting this post because it seems like it was missed the first time around... And it might be important to mention that this was the guy that TRANSLATED Sakurai's commentary for us in the first place.

Chepe

Smash Lord
Yeah, Im starting to think the same, that there will likely be more than 3 third party characters. Its not like Sakurai would have been like, "No! Only three I said, no more!"...

However, the thing about "Sonic is not on the cards at the moment" did not mean Sonic wasnt in Brawl. It meant that they werent going to talk about that at the time, since it was irrelevant to the current topic (Olympics I believe). Sonic was being developed during that interview most likely...

RDK

Smash Hero
Ashley's from Wario Ware. Last I checked Nintendo owns Wario and company.
That means nothing when it comes to probability of getting in.

But seriously, if you want a be all end all crossover fighting game, go play MUGEN. Then you can put in whatever the hell you want.
I know what MUGEN is. I have about 200 characters for it. I don't like it, because of the ridiculous amounts of imbalance.

Smash will be for Nintendo. IF they add another third party character, that'll be it. Just because we have two third parties confirmed doesn't mean Nintendo has be sending reps all over the world to different companies to negotiate their bread and butter mascots into the game.
You're right, since you're Sakurai, and you know the exact limit of 3rd party characters.

Since when is that supposed to take way someone's credibility?
It wasn't--it was more of a personal jab.

P.S: Thank you, SamuraiPanda! :p

TheLeperKhan

Smash Cadet

On the contrary, it can mean that very easily. If Sakurai or his superiors wanted him to put more third party characters, more than likely they'd have to pay for them with regards to liscensing fees and whatnot. Nintendo owned characters require no liscensing at all, and can be added whenever. Not all studios will be as eager as Kojima to have their mascots involved, and if they can help it, they will try to make money off the deal before the game is even released.

I know what MUGEN is. I have about 200 characters for it. I don't like it, because of the ridiculous amounts of imbalance.

Never said you didn't. I was offering it up to those who've never heard of it as an alterative to filling Brawl in with third party mascots.

You're right, since you're Sakurai, and you know the exact limit of 3rd party characters.

And because you're also him, you magically know that because Sonic and Snake were so well recieved, the floodgates have opened for any character wanting to try their hand at pounding Mario's face in.

More third party characters would detract odds of other Nintendo IPs and characters making appearances. Maybe the extra time the devs asked for was to put in a final third party or two. Who knows until the game is out. I'd rather just have more Nintendo games than third party ones.

RDK

Smash Hero
And because you're also him, you magically know that because Sonic and Snake were so well recieved, the floodgates have opened for any character wanting to try their hand at pounding Mario's face in.
Lol, true.

But still, there's no telling what Sakurai will do at this point.

vesperview

Smash Hero

On the contrary, it can mean that very easily. If Sakurai or his superiors wanted him to put more third party characters, more than likely they'd have to pay for them with regards to liscensing fees and whatnot. Nintendo owned characters require no liscensing at all, and can be added whenever. Not all studios will be as eager as Kojima to have their mascots involved, and if they can help it, they will try to make money off the deal before the game is even released.

Never said you didn't. I was offering it up to those who've never heard of it as an alterative to filling Brawl in with third party mascots.

More third party characters would detract odds of other Nintendo IPs and characters making appearances. Maybe the extra time the devs asked for was to put in a final third party or two. Who knows until the game is out. I'd rather just have more Nintendo games than third party ones.
You talk as if Red Darkstar Kirby is saying things for a fact, he isn't unlike you, we don't claim things for a fact, but leave them open to probability, you are not the one to say how many third parties will be included of if any of those third parties will get in before X nintendo character.

Tlaloc

Smash Journeyman
As I see, these are the third parties that could get involved and why:

1.- Konami (confirmed)
2.- Sega (confirmed)
3.- Capcom: Very asked by fans
4.- Hudson Soft: Asked by fans plus Bomberman already crossover with Wario
5.- Namco/Bandai: Pac Man and Soul Calibur have crossed over with Nintendo
6.- Square/Enix: Has already worked with Nintendo plus their characters have crossed over.
7.- SNK/Playmore: They work together with Nintendo as the Neo Geo is part of the Virtual Console.

hypeman

Smash Apprentice
I'm a snake, marth, and zelda in training.
The issue is not that Pacman is not a huge gaming icon, it's that he lacks the potential for a completely original, yet still good, moveset.

Rolling/spinning? That is pretty much owned by Sonic.
Punches and kicks from him are not going to be very unique since they will put him very "out of character." Sure, they somewhat fit his game that was on the GCN, but when you think of Pacman, you think of "wakka wakka wakka" and a little yellow pie with a piece missing eating some little dots.

Sure, Pacman as a gaming icon is great. But not so much as a playable character. That is why I say Namco certainly has better characters to bring to the table, with potential movesets that would be more fun to play as, and still be "in character."
Even though my earlier post made it sound as if I didn't want another namco character i over pacman I do (preferably some from soul calibur). pacman is the one I see getting in and pacman did have those plat former games on the GCN (though they sucked) to draw his moves from.

Chaos Paladin

Smash Journeyman
i say thats a good theory but there are other reasons they might turn other companies down. its supposed to be for nintendo charecters and too many 3rd partys would ruin the point. i think 4 is as high as sakurai will go.

serosfan

Smash Apprentice
Bump because I think some people have completely gone out of their mind and forgotten that this probably will happen.

bballstar23

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2383-6686-1312
Basically, those who have had a significant effect on the Nintendo universe as a whole should be in.

Top Bottom